Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #3286
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Thanks PrincessV for the encouragement i guess I'm afraid a serious runner would think why is SHE even out running. I'll post how it goes.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #3287
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR
Thanks PrincessV for the encouragement i guess I'm afraid a serious runner would think why is SHE even out running. I'll post how it goes.
Don't worry about those around you. Focus on yourself and keeping a pace that is good for you. You will do great, its only just over 3 miles you CAN do it and I bet you will suprise yourself at how well you do!!!

Best wishes and good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #3288
rosermama
DIS Veteran

@PrincessV thanks for the encouragement I have had some bad days lately crying in frustration since I have the Tinkerbell also and I am stressing it but my loving husband just keeps telling me as long as I finish it doesn't matter how long it took.

But hearing encouragement from others is great that's why I love these boards.

Plus I have lost 30 pounds and plan to lose 30 pounds more before the race that's like not carrying a sack of flour around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #3289
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS AR View Post
I totally get that... I'm feeling the same way about a 10K I've got just a couple weeks before the Princess Half. Seriously - if I can't nail a 10K by then, I've got no business running the Princess, but I'm totally intimidated by what sounds like a "serious" race! We just have to remember that ANYONE who runs is a runner and we're all in it to encourage and support each other.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #3290
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Now I'm getting even more nervous about my 1st ever 5k this Saturday. I am on week 5 of Galloway's 13.1 and thought a 5k would be a good experience right now. I've completed 2 training runs of 6+ miles with no problems. Being a new runner ( @57), I'm enjoying trying to push my comfort zone. I started at a pace of 24 and have come down to 14.2 and felt pretty decent about my runs. Now I'm wondering if I will even be allowed to finish. I would like to not embarrass myself but I'm mostly preparing to run the princess in Feb and finish healthy and have fun. Should I pull out of the 5k?
Do the 5K...I am also what I think is slow at about a 12:45 pace per mile and I also didn't start running until May. I have done two 5k races and finished at around my usual pace with folks ahead of me and behind me. Don't get discouraged by others on the thread you might be doing a 5K race in 30 min or so as they have been at this lots longer. If you are worried about them not letting you finish ask if there is a time limit.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #3291
jodipaige2004
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just do it for the experience! Most races are fun and there all runners of all shapes and sizes and speeds - and I find runners to be so supportive. Don't be put off by a couple of "serious road races". These are not the norm...and also not as much fun!!! My friend Alana was at the end with the police car on her butt and she felt great at the finish. She pushed as hard as she could and was proud of her time - she worked hard for it! And I was proud to run her in. She worked harder for that finish than many of the faster runners! Just remember, whether it is a 7-minute mile or a 14-minute mile: it is still a mile!

Jodi
www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
www.facebook.com/2princessesontherun
Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #3292
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Does anyone know what time Pasta in the Park tickets get you into Epcot that Friday night? The dinner says 6:30-8:30, but I am wondering what time they let you into the park :-)

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #3293
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We'll see how I feel when (if?) I get to run my 10k in 2.5 weeks, but I mostly don't care what others think. I'm slow. I had gotten down just below a 15 min mile, but when I started running longer distances, I found that longer run intervals with less walking feel better. Now I'm back up to a mid 15 min mile. Considering that just 3 months ago week 1 day 1 of C25K felt like it was going to kill me, I'm thrilled with being able to easily do 5/1 intervals for 6.5 miles, no matter how slow I am.

I've got a friend from way back in middle school that just ran his 1st marathon. This race I'm doing was his first ever race just last year. He's been a great support and cheerleader for me, and he has offered to run with me, even if I have to walk the whole thing..
Old 11-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #3294
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I believe the deadline to submit via email is Dec.1, race must be 10k or longer, chip timed with officially recorded results. If you can't get a time before that date, you can bring proof of time to the expo and they will verify and change your corral on your bib, if your time warrants it, by placing a sticker on your bib over the corral that's printed on it already.
I usually try and pace at 10-11 minute miles.. Is it worth finding a time chip race in my city to submit pace requirements to disney? I've debated it, but I don't know if I should. Will it help my corral placement? I guess I don't really know how their placement works. Advice pleaseee!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #3295
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post
I usually try and pace at 10-11 minute miles.. Is it worth finding a time chip race in my city to submit pace requirements to disney? I've debated it, but I don't know if I should. Will it help my corral placement? I guess I don't really know how their placement works. Advice pleaseee!
a 10-11 min. mile will have you finishing well under the 2:45 limit that requires proof...I would definintely submit a time if you can that reflects that if you plan to run the Princess at that pace. If you don't, you'll be behind all those that did submit a time, and a good percentage of those will be slower than you (including me!)...meaning you'll spend alot of time weaving in and out of those runners...adding to your total distance and I would imagine being a little frustrated. I'd definitely recommend it, just so you'll be placed in a corral with others that are around the same speed...works out better for you and the more people that are corralled correctly, the smoother the entire race goes for everyone.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #3296
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
a 10-11 min. mile will have you finishing well under the 2:45 limit that requires proof...I would definintely submit a time if you can that reflects that if you plan to run the Princess at that pace. If you don't, you'll be behind all those that did submit a time, and a good percentage of those will be slower than you (including me!)...meaning you'll spend alot of time weaving in and out of those runners...adding to your total distance and I would imagine being a little frustrated. I'd definitely recommend it, just so you'll be placed in a corral with others that are around the same speed...works out better for you and the more people that are corralled correctly, the smoother the entire race goes for everyone.
Oh duh, that would make sense. Haha I feel silly for even asking now. I found a 10k with chip time for dec 2nd. Lame that it's the day after the email cut off! But it's okay. I'll just bring it with me. Wish me luuuuck!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #3297
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Glad you're safe!!! Hoppefully your power will be restored ASAP!

I'm running the Color Run (5k) this weekend with a group of friends...I actaully keep forgetting about it, so thanks for the reminder. I need to run to the store for a white shirt!
Thanks for the good thoughts! Good luck in your race!! I hear the Color Run is a fun one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post

Any word on when power might be back? Still sending lots and lots of good thoughts up there!

Yep, I've got the Jingle Jungle 5K this weekend (the W&D 5K) with my son.
Thanks. No real word. We heard if we don't have it by Wed then it could be 7 -21 days more. Then on the power company's site, it says 1000 people in my town will be restored tomorrow (the majority). Who knows though?
That should also be a fun run! I wish I was in Disney now
How old is your son? My niece is 5 and wants to run races now that I'm running which is sweet but I'm thinking she may be too young. How young is too young?

[/img]
Old 11-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #3298
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post
Oh duh, that would make sense. Haha I feel silly for even asking now. I found a 10k with chip time for dec 2nd. Lame that it's the day after the email cut off! But it's okay. I'll just bring it with me. Wish me luuuuck!

Oh bummer, ONE day! Oh well...I've never had mine changed at packet pick up before, but I hear it doesn't seem to be that much of a hassle at all. Definitely worth it at your pace though!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #3299
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay, I completely know how you feel. Back in July, I signed up for a 10-race series sponsored by our local runner's club. And I was planning to walk all of the races. The night before the first race [a 5K], I was so nervous - convinced that everyone would know, just by looking at me, that I wasn't a 'real athlete' and 'what is *she* doing here anyway?'

The morning of the race I was tempted to back out, especially after I saw a bunch of young and skinny runner-types heading to the start line. The more I looked, though, I noticed not-so-young and not-so-skinny types in the mix. The race started and lots of folks zoomed ahead of me - surprisingly, some of the ones who had looked not-very-fast whizzed past me and some of the skinny, young ones were actually behind slow-walking me. Whoa!

Of that 10 race series, I've completed 9 of them so far. And I've walked all of them. I've walked past runners and have been lapped by some walkers -- you really can't tell just by looking at people just how fast they may be. And, whatever race I've done, I have received so much support and encouragement from all of the runners and walkers and volunteers. And these are some hard core racers - both the runners and the walkers.

All that to say, please don't be self-conscious of your perceived lack of ability. You are doing so well!!!! And you're not racing against anyone except yourself.

If it makes you feel better, you can go to your race's website and view last year's results. Seeing the times of others always makes me feel a bit better. You can also view the participants' list for this year so you can see how many people will be there. 5Ks are generally more for the fun and fundraising than for speed so you will be in the company of many who are just there to be with their friends. If a lot of people are signed up, you'll know there will be a good mix of runners and walkers.

Most of all, have a blast -- I've come to enjoy races, who'd a thunk it? Lil ole couch potato me!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #3300
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieandroo

Okay, I completely know how you feel. Back in July, I signed up for a 10-race series sponsored by our local runner's club. And I was planning to walk all of the races. The night before the first race [a 5K], I was so nervous - convinced that everyone would know, just by looking at me, that I wasn't a 'real athlete' and 'what is *she* doing here anyway?'

The morning of the race I was tempted to back out, especially after I saw a bunch of young and skinny runner-types heading to the start line. The more I looked, though, I noticed not-so-young and not-so-skinny types in the mix. The race started and lots of folks zoomed ahead of me - surprisingly, some of the ones who had looked not-very-fast whizzed past me and some of the skinny, young ones were actually behind slow-walking me. Whoa!

Of that 10 race series, I've completed 9 of them so far. And I've walked all of them. I've walked past runners and have been lapped by some walkers -- you really can't tell just by looking at people just how fast they may be. And, whatever race I've done, I have received so much support and encouragement from all of the runners and walkers and volunteers. And these are some hard core racers - both the runners and the walkers.

All that to say, please don't be self-conscious of your perceived lack of ability. You are doing so well!!!! And you're not racing against anyone except yourself.

If it makes you feel better, you can go to your race's website and view last year's results. Seeing the times of others always makes me feel a bit better. You can also view the participants' list for this year so you can see how many people will be there. 5Ks are generally more for the fun and fundraising than for speed so you will be in the company of many who are just there to be with their friends. If a lot of people are signed up, you'll know there will be a good mix of runners and walkers.

Most of all, have a blast -- I've come to enjoy races, who'd a thunk it? Lil ole couch potato me!
I'll echo all of this. There are lots of serious runners around here and it can be very intimidating. In the beginning I just knew everyone was looking at me wondering what I think I'm doing. I didn't care though because I'm doing this for me. One morning I was at our local park that is always packed with runners and bikers on the weekends. That day was one such packed day. I was doing a little stretching and a guy started stretching beside me. He asked which running group I was with. I looked around me thinking he was surely talking to someone else. But no, it was me. I was shocked that a serious athlete thought I looked like a runner. It was a mental turning point for me.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: