Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #316
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
SCCA 5k race recap.. Thursday afternoon the butterflies set in. DH got home from work around 3pm, we started getting everyone ready (with four kids, it takes us awhile lol). My cousin was meeting us there to watch the kids while we ran, thank goodness! My mom, DH, and 3 of the girls that are running the Princess half with me next year were also running.
We arrived a little after 5, giving us nearly an hour to get warmed up and ready to go. It was almost 80 degrees and sunny. HOT.
I used the restroom, drank my Gatorade pre-game fuel, applied my lip gloss, fixed my iPod, and took off to warm up. I ran/walked about a mile before the race.. I try to get at least a mile in, it takes me awhile to get going, I do not shoot out of the gate like some people!
There was a huge timer counting down until race time. At about 5 minutes to go, we gathered at the starting line. I was SO nervous, basically trying not to throw up at this point. One of my friends made me move to the front of the pack, and said, "Don't be scared." I didn't have much time to think after that, they counted down from 10 seconds and fired the gun! Off we went!
The course ran past a small playground and through an almost flat residential area, beside the Ohio river. I didn't know the course beforehand, and I do not like that. They had the 1 mile and 2 miles marked, but no one to tell your time. I didn't have a watch or my phone, so I was asking other runners what was our time? I hit the first mile right at 9 minutes, very fast for me!! I slowed down a little on the second mile, and my heel/ankle started aching BAD. Almost to the point that I wanted to quit. I slowed down a little more, and I started getting passed. I knew there was less than a mile left, so I just endured the torture and kept going. I kept thinking, you are almost done, just finish and get some ice on it.. So, I did.
When I came into view of the timer, it said 28:00! That is SOOO fast for me!! By this point, I was running so slow, it was nearly a walk, so.. it took me another minute and a half to actually get to the finish line.. and it was just across a parking lot..
I did finish in 29:31, that is my new PR, beating out my old PR by 4:14!!! I am VERY excited about that!! I KNOW it's from all of the long runs that I do! It really does pay off to get those 6 miles + runs in!
After the run, I tried walking around a little.. more like limping. I placed 3rd in my age group, 7th overall in the women.
Friday, I really couldn't walk. Today, it feels much better but is still sore and I'm still limping. I've put off Urgent Care because I'm scared that they will find a fracture or something
I guess I need to take a few days off and let it heal. I'm supposed to be in a 5 mile race on May 5th, and I don't know if I'll be able to do it at all now. Anyway, here are my friends and I after the race. We have been friends since Kindergarten and have been running together since 7th grade track I'm the one in the white hat.

Congrats !!!!!!!!

I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who applies lip gloss before a run. Actually, I have to admit I apply it even during my runs and races.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #317
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Congrats !!!!!!!!

I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one who applies lip gloss before a run. Actually, I have to admit I apply it even during my runs and races.
A fellow lip gloss junkie!! Awesome!!
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #318
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Never ever go anywhere without mine !!!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #319
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Now I want to run because I am ready for BLING! OK, I think I am just reading to compete or something. I am enjoying training but I find I like my challenge runs on the weekend more since I am trying to do better! I am not sure how I will do in my first 5K but I am ready to see. I have decided I am going to do the Detroit Race for the Cure 5K. I have worked it for several years and I like the atmosphere and location. Plus I was able to talk my 16 year old niece into running it with me. Too bad I think she is going to kick my butt but at least I will have one down.

So DH has gotten so much more supportive. When I first brought up doing this he said "You really want to run 13 miles? If you want the medal can't we just order it on ebay?". Well since then he has been amazing and he even said tonight he is so looking forward to going down there with me. It makes me even more motivated!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #320
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
Now I want to run because I am ready for BLING! OK, I think I am just reading to compete or something. I am enjoying training but I find I like my challenge runs on the weekend more since I am trying to do better! I am not sure how I will do in my first 5K but I am ready to see. I have decided I am going to do the Detroit Race for the Cure 5K. I have worked it for several years and I like the atmosphere and location. Plus I was able to talk my 16 year old niece into running it with me. Too bad I think she is going to kick my butt but at least I will have one down.

So DH has gotten so much more supportive. When I first brought up doing this he said "You really want to run 13 miles? If you want the medal can't we just order it on ebay?". Well since then he has been amazing and he even said tonight he is so looking forward to going down there with me. It makes me even more motivated!

There is nothing better than DISNEY BLING. I'm glad your DH is more supportive. Maybe he will start to train and both of you can do a race together. They are kind of addictive since there is always another medal out there to add to your collection.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #321
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My DH has been running also. I would love for him to come with me.. but not in '13. Maybe the year after LOL.. Can you get your DH to run with you?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #322
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
I ran my second half marathon today. I finished in 2:46:21.
Congratulations!!!

Quote:
SCCA 5k race recap...
Congrats on an awesome time!!! I'm so sorry about your ankle - any better today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahipp View Post
I did a 5K today... I finished at 49:08, in 2100th place! LOL But, since this was only my 2nd 5K ever, I'm ecstatic! And, best of all? I got BLING! Ain't it purty!?
Congrats!!! That is some nice bling!

Quote:
That's great - so much easier to get out and do it when you feel supported.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #323
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Tell your DH to get ready...this is how the madness starts My BF got into this running business before I did and it only took being a spectator at two of them before I HAD to try it. The atmosphere is electric, and sitting in the bleachers at the finish line is so inspiring and makes you feel like you could do anything!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #324
amykay9377
Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations. After all it is what I do.

Quote:
Actually, I have to admit I apply it even during my runs and races.
Quote:
Oh thank goodness it's not just me! I thought I was weird to need to apply so much but I'm a mouth-breather, so my lips dry out quickly. I currently use Blistex in the blue tube. What do you guys use (maybe it's better?)

Quote:
It is SOOOOO good to have a supportive spouse/partner/buddy! I was talking to hubby last night and I mentioned a run I did last weekend and he got kind of mad that I didn't tell him about it. When I asked why he was mad, he said that he WANTS to know all the stuff I'm doing because he's so proud of me and wants to be part of this with me! Awwww

Check out my blog!
(I may need to change the name soon...)

Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #325
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykay9377 View Post

It is SOOOOO good to have a supportive spouse/partner/buddy! I was talking to hubby last night and I mentioned a run I did last weekend and he got kind of mad that I didn't tell him about it. When I asked why he was mad, he said that he WANTS to know all the stuff I'm doing because he's so proud of me and wants to be part of this with me! Awwww
That is so sweet!

I don't think DH will ever get into running. He is more a team sports person and just doesn't like the actual running thing which I think is why his change in attitude is surprising. Though he did say he loves hearing about it so maybe he will surprise me and start!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #326
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
I ran my second half marathon today. I finished in 2:46:21. Not too bad since I really got off track since the Princess Half. Disney races really do spoil you. So much entertainment along the way. It was a nice course along the beach and ocean, but I really missed stopping with the characters. It really made the time go by quicker!

Congrats!! That's a great time!

Quote:
Never ever go anywhere without mine !!!!!!
Ditto!

Quote:
Oh thank goodness it's not just me! I thought I was weird to need to apply so much but I'm a mouth-breather, so my lips dry out quickly. I currently use Blistex in the blue tube. What do you guys use (maybe it's better?)
Um, well I use the colored glittery gooey stuff from Bath & Body Works!! It stays on very well Probably because it's like glue!

Guess what! I made my ADRs for my October trip this morning! I can't wait!
We are staying at POR. Is there a running trail there?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #327
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Congratulations!!!

Congrats on an awesome time!!! I'm so sorry about your ankle - any better today?
Thanks! I went to Urgent Care yesterday and had it X-Rayed, no breaks or fractures, thank God! I'm giving myself a week off and then I'll try to fast walk on Friday. Thanks for asking!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #328
Happy Mom2
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! I haven't been around much lately, but I've been keeping up with y'all through my daily emails. I've been in a funk lately, but y'all are so inspiring! Just reading your posts made me remember why I started doing this in the first place!

I've started logging my food on myfitnesspal again, and have my gym clothes ready to change into when I leave work. I made sure DH got out of the house early this morning so he can leave work on time to get the kids. I'm actually looking forward to my walk this evening, and I'm going to start strength training today also.

If anyone is on myfitnesspal and wants to support each other on there, please send me a private message and I'll send you my username.

Also, does anyone know if there is a disboard FB group for the 2013 PHM? I'm in a group for my Nov trip, and it's great being able to keep up with other and get to know each other on there also.

Question: Can someone who has done the race before give me an estimate of expenses... resort (mod or value - do race participants get a discount), park tickets (I know race participants get a discount), cost of race t-shirt (I think that's the only thing I'm going to want to buy), and anything else you can think of? I've got to set a budget and start putting funds aside. We are taking a family trip to WDW in Nov so I have to save for both!

Thanks for the inspiration!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #329
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Believe it or not I use AVON Lip Balm in Chocolate. It's got a slight hint of color, moisturizing not sticky and works well over my real lipstick. Hey-it's chocolate smell and flavor.

That's wonderful. I's so nice to have their support. For the last race I was in (Tinker Bell 1/2) DH made a really cool sign for me even had some lights attached so I would see it at the start in the dark. He had fun doing that and he said he would top that one for the princess--so I can hardly wait.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #330
gudrench3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Mom2 View Post
Hi everyone! I haven't been around much lately, but I've been keeping up with y'all through my daily emails. I've been in a funk lately, but y'all are so inspiring! Just reading your posts made me remember why I started doing this in the first place!

I've started logging my food on myfitnesspal again, and have my gym clothes ready to change into when I leave work. I made sure DH got out of the house early this morning so he can leave work on time to get the kids. I'm actually looking forward to my walk this evening, and I'm going to start strength training today also.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!
Me too Happy! I have been in the same kind of funk. I am really trying to come out of it. And hearing all of the wonderful progress that everyone is having is helping me get back out of it. I have finally started back with what I was doing a while ago. I hope your transition back works out well for you.

'85 Offsite, '92 Dolphin, '98 Offsite, '00 Offsite, '03 AS Sports, '05 AS Sports, '07 (Nov/Dec) POFQ, '09 POP, May '11 CSR, 2013 PRINCESS HALF TRIP!!!!

My "New goal, new me, new excitement!" Weight Loss & C25K Journal
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: