Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #3046
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2 View Post
I was hoping to do a Cinderella-ish or themed costume. I'm picky about what I run in though so I'm worried about a "real" costume. Was thinking of trying to attach a skirt to my running belt or something along those lines but was looking for some inspiration.
Have you looked at dance costumes at all? They're very movable and meant to be sweat in. Or a Team Sparkle skirt?

Old 10-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #3047
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Also, my race report (of a kind) is in the captions of my photos on Flickr (there are a few political/LBGT jokes in there, be warned). The first half are the photos I took (captioned) and the second half are the professional photos, which I never went back and captioned.

Going through them again now isn't helping me make good decisions about this!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mamacat...th/7015906787/
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #3048
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
Hi folks!

The Princess 2012 was my first half marathon, and WISH and DIS is what inspired me to start running. I had kind of decided, or non-decided, that I wouldn't be back right away for another princess race, but then RunDisney worked their evil magic on me with the sweepstakes and the medal announcement (coupled with starting to think about school vacation week plans), and I'm actually considering it!

I had a blast last year. I started from complete scratch--C25K in Feb/March of 2011. My first 5K was in may, 43 minutes, then a couple of 10Ks over 1:30. I did a lot of walk/running, managed not to get injured, and just took it slow and steady. I stopped for every photo in the Princess--saw the sweepers at the end of MK (while waiting in a ridiculously long line--what was I thinking!), but stayed ahead of them for the rest of the race (though they were in my sights when I stopped for a few more photos). It was a great experience.

I did another 10K in April and then trained all summer for the Smuttynose Rockfest Half in NH. I did much more structured intervals at that race and finished in 2:44, which is much better than I had expected given my training paces, and was over an hour faster than my princess time!

I'm not sure it's going to come together, but reading this thread is not helping me be reasonable about this--the idea of another Princess--one where I have a corral time (even if it is just on the edge!), which I never imagined was possible for me, is sooooo tempting.

Just thought I'd say hi! I remember just wanting to DEVOUR any information I could find about others' experiences, especially SLOW folks like me, so I'm happy to answer questions!

Cate
Hi Cate! Great to see you back! I know I'm not helping, but you should do it! You have a great time to submit and will be definitely farthere up in the corrals so you will have a better cushion. I bet you won't see the balloon ladies at all! And you can get more pictures!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #3049
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

I have a brief question about the corrals. . .I ran the Myrtle Beach Half this past Sunday and I've emailed those results. The time was 3:03:08. I put in my estimated time as 3:00:00 when I registered, but did not have a time. Is that time enough to move me up in the corrals or do I need to run another chipped race before then? I'm looking at the Charleston Half in January if I need to, but right now I'm dealing with the blisters that are UNDER my toenails. (Didn't know that could happen!)

Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #3050
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Hi Colleen! You're not helllllllppppppinnnnnggggg!

Great to be back!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #3051
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
I have a brief question about the corrals. . .I ran the Myrtle Beach Half this past Sunday and I've emailed those results. The time was 3:03:08. I put in my estimated time as 3:00:00 when I registered, but did not have a time. Is that time enough to move me up in the corrals or do I need to run another chipped race before then? I'm looking at the Charleston Half in January if I need to, but right now I'm dealing with the blisters that are UNDER my toenails. (Didn't know that could happen!)
Congrats on your half! Great work!

Officially, they don't consider times that don't equate to 2:45 or better. However, I sent a 10K time of 1:27, which doesn't convert to 2:45 using any math or estimates on this planet, and I got Corral E. My guess from paying attention to where last year's thread participants were seeded (now be aware that it IS a guess) was that A-D were for people who submitted actual qualifying times, and E was for people who registered early and/or submitted non-qualifying times and/or had run disney races before. I fell into both the first two categories, so who knows, and again, just a guess. I'm pretty confident about the early signup thing, though, so if you've already registered, you should have a good bunch of corrals behind you. I think it went through H last year.

Cate

Last edited by mamacate; 10-26-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #3052
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

I also see that the "sweeper" panic I remember feeling last year is alive and well here too. I can tell you a few things about the sweepers. I saw them at the end of the magic kingdom after I waited in line for EVERY PHOTO in the park. I was standing in an incredibly long line for Sleeping Beauty and they went by and shouted to us that we would have to catch up to them, and don't hang around too long. Of course we panicked and I wound up with a photo with a bunch of strangers because we wanted to get OUTTA THERE.

So I spent the next few minutes catching up to them, and then the next mile or two trying to leave them behind, though I did stop for more photos, so I'd lose them, stop, then see the balloons coming up, then push it, then another photo...eek balloons!...hustle...etc.

They weren't predatory like people imagine. Quite the opposite, in fact. I have to wonder if they're not licensed social workers based on some of the stuff I have read about people who got swept. What I saw when I passed them was a BIG group of women running with them, encouraging each other, getting encouragement from the balloon ladies. It was like a pace group, but it was a moving support group. I don't know how many of those women wound up crossing the finish line, but what I saw (briefly--I wanted OUTTA THERE and had legs that could do it that day) was a supportive group of people who were getting each other through.

There was a chilling moment just past mile 10. You go up a long cloverleaf type highway on-ramp, which then bridges the highway you just came from. I started that ramp with a huge crowd of runners, and the balloons well behind me. Once I got to the overpass, there was NOBODY on the road beneath me. I think the 10 mile marker is a key point for the sweepers. I saw no indication of sweepers after mile 10, and I did see people bonking at that point. I suppose you could drop out past that point, but everything I've read and my own experience seem both support the conventional wisdom that after that overpass, nobody's taking you off that course unless you sit down or start running backwards.

So that's what I have to say about the sweepers. Happy to answer questions.

Cate

PS/ETA: I should add that my clock time was 4:09 (chip time 3:43, corral E out of H), so I think that 10 mile sweep was for those who truly weren't keeping up a 16MM....AND started in corral H OR were way below 16MM. See my other post regarding corral placement, but I'm guessing if you register early and are truly trained for a 16MM, you won't see those sweepers. Unless you're a dope and stop for every photo like I did. But I knew I could outrun them in a pinch, and so I did!

Last edited by mamacate; 10-26-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #3053
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Quote:
Congrats on your half! Great work!

Officially, they don't consider times that don't equate to 2:45 or better. However, I sent a 10K time of 1:27, which doesn't convert to 2:45 using any math or estimates on this planet, and I got Corral E. My guess from paying attention to where last year's thread participants were seeded (now be aware that it IS a guess) was that A-D were for people who submitted actual qualifying times, and E was for people who registered early and/or submitted non-qualifying times and/or had run disney races before. I fell into both the first two categories, so who knows, and again, just a guess. I'm pretty confident about the early signup thing, though, so if you've already registered, you should have a good bunch of corrals behind you. I think it went through G last year.

Cate

I would assume I am in the first two categories. Best I can remember, I registered for the race mid-July.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #3054
CruisingGoddess
Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
All that being said which hopefully will make you feel better about how hard the course could be...have you timed yourself for a mile or two or three ? I found when I started training in May ( turned 45 so figured I needed extra training for my first half) I could walk a 14 min mile and proudly can say I did my 5K last Saturday at a 12:32 pace per mile. Stick to a good training schedule and this far out you can shave off a little time !
I ran 3.2 miles yesterday averaging 14:41 per mile. But that's the farthest I've run and I get slower with each mile. I'm planning to run 4 miles this weekend so hopefully, I'll get faster with each run.

Quote:
I also see that the "sweeper" panic I remember feeling last year is alive and well here too. I can tell you a few things about the sweepers. I saw them at the end of the magic kingdom after I waited in line for EVERY PHOTO in the park. I was standing in an incredibly long line for Sleeping Beauty and they went by and shouted to us that we would have to catch up to them, and don't hang around too long. Of course we panicked and I wound up with a photo with a bunch of strangers because we wanted to get OUTTA THERE.

So I spent the next few minutes catching up to them, and then the next mile or two trying to leave them behind, though I did stop for more photos, so I'd lose them, stop, then see the balloons coming up, then push it, then another photo...eek balloons!...hustle...etc.

They weren't predatory like people imagine. Quite the opposite, in fact. I have to wonder if they're not licensed social workers based on some of the stuff I have read about people who got swept. What I saw when I passed them was a BIG group of women running with them, encouraging each other, getting encouragement from the balloon ladies. It was like a pace group, but it was a moving support group. I don't know how many of those women wound up crossing the finish line, but what I saw (briefly--I wanted OUTTA THERE and had legs that could do it that day) was a supportive group of people who were getting each other through.

There was a chilling moment just past mile 10. You go up a long cloverleaf type highway on-ramp, which then bridges the highway you just came from. I started that ramp with a huge crowd of runners, and the balloons well behind me. Once I got to the overpass, there was NOBODY on the road beneath me. I think the 10 mile marker is a key point for the sweepers. I saw no indication of sweepers after mile 10, and I did see people bonking at that point. I suppose you could drop out past that point, but everything I've read and my own experience seem both support the conventional wisdom that after that overpass, nobody's taking you off that course unless you sit down or start running backwards.

So that's what I have to say about the sweepers. Happy to answer questions.

Cate

PS/ETA: I should add that my clock time was 4:09 (chip time 3:43, corral E out of H), so I think that 10 mile sweep was for those who truly weren't keeping up a 16MM....AND started in corral H OR were way below 16MM. See my other post regarding corral placement, but I'm guessing if you register early and are truly trained for a 16MM, you won't see those sweepers. Unless you're a dope and stop for every photo like I did. But I knew I could outrun them in a pinch, and so I did!
Thanks so much for this info. So even though it took you 3:43, you didn't get swept. I looked through all your photos too. When I read there would be character photos along the course, I didn't think I'd have time to take photos with any of them but I guess I just need to stay ahead of the sweepers.

By the way, if you do get swept, do you still get a medal? I assume no. I think I'd cry if I got swept!!

Upcoming: Wine & Dine Half 2014 (Yacht Club), Disney World Half 2015 (Art of Animation), 1/12/2015 - Disney Dream Inaugural Castaway Cay Challenge

Cruises: 11/24/2012 - Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean | 4/25/2009 - Disney Magic E. Caribbean w/Tortola | 4/23/2006 - Disney Wonder Bahamas | 4 x Princess, 2 x Celebrity, 2 x Norwegian, 1 x Royal Caribbean
Resorts: 3/2003 - Grand Californian | 1/2004 - Old Key West | 4/2006- Grand Floridian Honeymoon Suite | 5/2012 - Disneyland Hotel Suite | 12/2012 - Animal Kingdom | 2/2013 - Wilderness Lodge | 1/2014 - Paradise Pier | 2/2014 - Polynesian Resort
Races: Glass Slipper Challenge 2014, Tinker Bell Half 2014, Disneyland Half 2013, Princess Half 2013
Old 10-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #3055
stasijane
Crazed one

I wish I could stop for all the great photo ops that are available during the races but I am so paraniod about my time. I love seeing all the pictures that everyone takes I think they are all great!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #3056
the_princess
DIS Veteran

I have a question about the estimated time, I've put in when I signed up. Am I suppose to hear back from them, that they have accepted it or do I have to wait and see at the expo. I've used a Danish race and I'm not sure if they accept that or that it has to be an US race.

MY DISNEY PICTURES
:
Holiday time at DL Tour Dec'13: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3210059

WDW & WWOHP Dec '11: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#26.0

WDW & SW Feb '13: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#30.0

MY DISNEY STAYS:
July '03-DLP Dec '03-DLP NPBC Sep '04-DLP SL Sep '05-DLP HNY Mar '07-WDW Offside (Comfort Inn) Dec '07-DLP SF Feb '08-DLP SL Oct '08-WDW Renaissance Resort SeaWorld, AKL & POR May '09-DLP SL Dec '09-DLP HNY July '10-DLR DLH Feb '11-DLP DLH Dec'11-WDW POR August'12-DLP.Jan'13-DLP Chyenne Feb'13-WDW PORDec'13-DL Offsite
Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #3057
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_princess
I have a question about the estimated time, I've put in when I signed up. Am I suppose to hear back from them, that they have accepted it or do I have to wait and see at the expo. I've used a Danish race and I'm not sure if they accept that or that it has to be an US race.
You won't hear anything from them if you submitted a time at registration. If you submit another time via email prior to the deadline, then you should get a confirmation from them that they received it...but they still won't give you any info on placement at that point because they won't assign bib #'s and do a corral breakdown until January. Once waivers are ready to be downloaded (about 1 month from race day) you'll be able to get your bib # from that...and recently they've started to post the corral breakdown by bib # on the race website, so you should be able to find out your corral before the expo if that trend continues....but that'll be sometime in February. I don't think it'll be a problem that your race time wasn't US...as long as it was 10k or longer with an official chip time result you should be fine! If you want though, you could call or email runDisney specifically asking them if it was ok that you submitted a time from a Danish race and you should hear back from them eventually.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #3058
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasijane View Post
I wish I could stop for all the great photo ops that are available during the races but I am so paraniod about my time. I love seeing all the pictures that everyone takes I think they are all great!
Not sure who your favorite characters are...but I would wait until you reach the MK to take photos and then choose only your "favorite/have have" characters.

Some one mentioned Princess Aurora aka Sleeping Beauty, she had a special set up backstage at MK and that was new this year and yes it was a very long line earlier in the race as well. She is my favorite, I have picked her every year on the registration form, and I knew I would wait in line. Just saying try to make time to get some special photos and if pushed on time only stop for the must have's.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #3059
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

My husband and I signed up for a 5K this morning at Sea World San Antonio for the USO. We get there and no one is around, we find an employee who tells us he thinks it was canceled or moved. I am so disappointed right now! No email warning us or anything. I don't care if they keep our registration money but we paid to have lunch in the park too! There are several other events today around we could have signed up for if we had known. I was so looking forward to seeing if I improved my 5K time.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #3060
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
My husband and I signed up for a 5K this morning at Sea World San Antonio for the USO. We get there and no one is around, we find an employee who tells us he thinks it was canceled or moved. I am so disappointed right now! No email warning us or anything. I don't care if they keep our registration money but we paid to have lunch in the park too! There are several other events today around we could have signed up for if we had known. I was so looking forward to seeing if I improved my 5K time.
I'm in San Antonio too ! I did a 5K at Seaworld about three weeks ago called race for the fund but don't remember an USO one...bummer that nobody could help you out. There is a 10K Boerne turkey trot 17 Nov, will you be doing that one ? Think I might just to get a good 10K time.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: