Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #2611
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

OK, one more spectator question. (I know I've asked others previously.) The transportation information says the buses start running between the resort and the race again at 7:00 am. If I run about a 10 minute mile, will my mom and DDs be able to get on a bus at POR and get to the finish line in time to see me arrive?

I just don't know what they will do from 4:00 am (which is way too early for my DD6 in particular) to 7:30 while I'm running. I'm thinking it's not worth it to even have them try to get there at the end. But it's kind of a bummer to think I'll complete my first 1/2 marathon and be all by myself. (Yay, me! )

Any good solutions for me?

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #2612
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Got it -- thank you so much!

I have one of those sticks that I use to roll my calves. Will that do it or do you think the foam one would be better?
You want a foam roller if you think it's ITB. I don't think the stick will do the same thing. You put your body weight on the roller and it really helps.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #2613
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
OK, one more spectator question. (I know I've asked others previously.) The transportation information says the buses start running between the resort and the race again at 7:00 am. If I run about a 10 minute mile, will my mom and DDs be able to get on a bus at POR and get to the finish line in time to see me arrive?

I just don't know what they will do from 4:00 am (which is way too early for my DD6 in particular) to 7:30 while I'm running. I'm thinking it's not worth it to even have them try to get there at the end. But it's kind of a bummer to think I'll complete my first 1/2 marathon and be all by myself. (Yay, me! )

Any good solutions for me?
I'd let them sleep in, then get a cab to Epcot. Shouldn't be more than $10 is my guess, and maybe a 10 min ride? They can take the bus back with you after the race.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #2614
disneymom2one
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

Hi everyone.

I'm considering running the Princess but I have a few questions. Brief background is that I'm 43 and up until two years ago, I weighed close to 260 pounds (maybe more). I've lost about 115 pounds in the past couple of years, including 60 in the past six months. During that six months, I've gradually but dramatically increased my exercise activity, going from walking to run/walking intervals to even running. Generally, I run on Tues/Thurs/Sunday. Tuesday is 3 to 4 miles and Thursday has been a six miler since I was prepping for a 10K. On Sunday, I've been doing longer runs but doing intervals (every other song is a walk). Two weeks ago, it was ten miles and this weekend it was a full 13.2. I walk on the "off" days - a minimum of two hours at a stretch.

On Saturday, I did my first official 10K race with a time of 1:07. Ran the whole thing. It was chip timed and I have proof of time. Any idea what corral that might place me in?

On Sunday (the day following the race - not the greatest move), I did walk/run intervals for 13.2 miles. I was pretty slow - 3:03. For some reason, I still can't wrap my mind around being a runner. I still feel like that 250+ pound person and I keep feeling like I need to "prove" to myself that I can do longer distances. So is there any advice on training? Should I train as if I'm trying to run the whole thing? Or do intervals (which honestly make me so much happier). I've thought about increasing the run intervals (maybe two songs to one song walk). I have Runkeeper and I could timed intervals as well but I have no clue what the ratios should be. And what kind of training do I do given that I can do that 13.2 distance with intervals. Should I back off somewhat?

One thing that plays into this is that I'd like to take off about eight more pounds and I really don't want to gain any back so long periods of physical activity are pretty much a necessity for me (I've completely changed my eating as well but I need the exercise too).

Thanks for any help/comments.

---living in paradise and vacationing with the Mouse

--- DVC members - OKW

Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #2615
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
You want a foam roller if you think it's ITB. I don't think the stick will do the same thing. You put your body weight on the roller and it really helps.
Thanks!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #2616
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2one View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm considering running the Princess but I have a few questions. Brief background is that I'm 43 and up until two years ago, I weighed close to 260 pounds (maybe more). I've lost about 115 pounds in the past couple of years, including 60 in the past six months. During that six months, I've gradually but dramatically increased my exercise activity, going from walking to run/walking intervals to even running. Generally, I run on Tues/Thurs/Sunday. Tuesday is 3 to 4 miles and Thursday has been a six miler since I was prepping for a 10K. On Sunday, I've been doing longer runs but doing intervals (every other song is a walk). Two weeks ago, it was ten miles and this weekend it was a full 13.2. I walk on the "off" days - a minimum of two hours at a stretch.

On Saturday, I did my first official 10K race with a time of 1:07. Ran the whole thing. It was chip timed and I have proof of time. Any idea what corral that might place me in?

On Sunday (the day following the race - not the greatest move), I did walk/run intervals for 13.2 miles. I was pretty slow - 3:03. For some reason, I still can't wrap my mind around being a runner. I still feel like that 250+ pound person and I keep feeling like I need to "prove" to myself that I can do longer distances. So is there any advice on training? Should I train as if I'm trying to run the whole thing? Or do intervals (which honestly make me so much happier). I've thought about increasing the run intervals (maybe two songs to one song walk). I have Runkeeper and I could timed intervals as well but I have no clue what the ratios should be. And what kind of training do I do given that I can do that 13.2 distance with intervals. Should I back off somewhat?

One thing that plays into this is that I'd like to take off about eight more pounds and I really don't want to gain any back so long periods of physical activity are pretty much a necessity for me (I've completely changed my eating as well but I need the exercise too).

WOWEE KAZOWEE, you rock girl!!! Congratulations on the new you! Honestly, it will take you years to continue to get to know her and feel comfortable in your own skin knowing that she is YOU! Speaking from experience with my DH...he's down about 90 lbs. from his heaviest which was about 10 years ago...he's a spindly active guy now who just ran a half in 1:39, and people meeting him would never guess in a million years that he had a weight issue as a kid and into adulthood...but that heavy inactive guy is still in his head, and probably always will be. Like him, you might run into challenges with obsessing about getting your weekly mileage in, or hitting your goal times, etc. There's a happy medium between obsession and healthy goals, and you'll find it for yourself.

So the PHM. With that really nice 10K time I'm guessing you'll be corral B. And as for your goals, only you can decide that. Do you want to make it your goal to run the whole thing rather than interval it? It kinda sounds like you do. If so, grab a training program (Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, Runner's World...take a look at all of them and see what makes the most sense to you) and then follow it with running rather than intervaling. If you don't have any other distance races between now and the PHM you definitely want to throttle back a bit with mileage and not keep doing 13's on the weekends. I read/heard something once that really helps me: you can't train distance and speed at the same time. Kinda helps me keep in mind what I'm after for a given run or a given time period.

Anyway, I don't know if my babbling helps or not, but thats my .02.

And dude, you ARE a runner!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend! 2014 OKW for our 20th Anniversary and Wine & Dine Half Marathon
Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #2617
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone.

Congrats on your accomplishments! That's really awesome!
Your 1:07 10k time is great...I submitted the same time for the 2011 Princess and it landed me in corral B that year. Seems like the number of runners gets bigger and bigger each year, so that same time could be a C corral by 2013, but there's no way to tell for sure at this point. It's a great time though, so I wouldn't worry about being too far back in the pack.

As far as how you want to train for this...it's really up to you. You already know you can go the distance, which is wonderful, so it's going to depend on what your personal goal is for this race. Do you want to just run it for fun, stopping to take pictures along the way with characters and soak it all in? Or, do you want to give it your all and try for a PR? There's no right or wrong answer...it's just whatever you decide you want out of this one, you know? You might want to think about what your plans are for the whole trip too. Do you plan to stay for a few days after and tour the parks? If so, you may want to stick with your intervals that you said make you a much happier person so that you are able to enjoy the rest of your vacation as well. Keep in mind too that this race can get crowded and there may be points during the race that you are forced to slow down even if you didn't want to because of bottle-necks or just corwds in general...so that can sometimes make it hard to go for a PR...but with a decent corral placement, you may not run into that too much. I PR'd at Tinker Bell, so it's possible to do it at a Disney race...my BF does it practically every time he runs one (unless he's running with me!)...must be nice!!

So, ultimately, it's up to you...there's still plenty of training time, so use this time to figure out what works best for you if you're thinking of shaking things up. But once you do, have a plan and stick to it. You'll run a race the same way you trained so I think it's importatnt to have a goal and a plan to get you there. Just remember though, the medal is the same for all of us, no matter how we get across the finish line!!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #2618
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
It is on the outside. And it's probably one of the more painful things I've felt. When it happened on the right side, it was bad but it went away after a short while. This left one is stubborn though! When it first happened, by the time I got home, I was in tears. I managed the 3 yesterday without tears, but it was painful enough that I don't know if I could have gone any farther.
Oh Princess, I'm soooooo sorry! It's truly debilitating pain, isn't it? In my ballerina years, I continued to perform on a partially torn Achilles, so believe me, I KNOW how to power through pain... and there is no powering through ITBS pain.

Google is your friend here - there is TONS of good info out there. Foam roller is a must, as are exercises to stretch the muscle groups surrounding the IT band and strengthen the area and core. Squats, lunges, clamshells, yoga, pilates, etc. But here's the critical thing: none of that will help if you do't ID what's causing the problem in the first place. In my case, it seems to be running like a good pedestrian, always facing oncoming traffic... which means I'm always running on FL's steeply slanted roadways, with the slant on my left all the time. A big no-no. Sure enough, my ITBS struck my left leg, the one that's always on the downside of the slant.

What was working for me prior to the TOT was this: taking a few days off for the inflammation in my knee to go down. Doing stretching/strengthening/cross-training on my non-run days. Foam rolling every day, twice a day. On my run days, sticking to flat roads/treadmill and stopping before pain hit. Doing that, I was able to start slowly increasing my mileage. By the TOT, after a couple weeks of my routine, I was able to go 3.5 before pain hit... but then I ran on and off past when pain hit in the race and I'm now back down to less than 2 miles before pain strikes. Dumb move. Do not even try to run through the pain; it's not worth it in the end.

Sending you good wishes for a speedy recovery! The good news is that a friend of mine went through it - so bad that he couldn't even go a mile before it hit him hard - and he followed the rules and is up to marathon distance now. It can be beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista311 View Post
finally ran under 2 hours for a half marathon today!
...so, my point is, keep plugging away, putting in the miles, and big improvements can, and will happen over time! never give up on your goals, as crazy as they may seem at the time
Awesome time - congrats! And thanks for the pick-me-up; I needed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerAllie View Post
Next year, I'll aim for the Sunday MNSSHP and take Mon off instead of Fri.
I was planning to go home Sun. but opted to spend another night instead... sooo glad I did! I was useless for anything beyond boarding a bus to EP and sitting on a bench with a Food & Wine fest plate and a margarita, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Hurts like all get-out, but it does seem to help!

Quote:
I've lost about 115 pounds in the past couple of years, including 60 in the past six months. During that six months, I've gradually but dramatically increased my exercise activity, going from walking to run/walking intervals to even running.
You've already gotten great advice, but I wanted to say this: YOU ROCK! Way to go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feels like I'm starting from scratch here - did 2 miles Sat. as my first "long" run of the training plan. But I did it pain-free, so that's something, right? Baby steps... Seeing the sports med doc Thurs. and hoping he comes up with a magic cure I haven't yet tried for my ITBS. A girl can hope, right?!

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Old 10-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #2619
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone.

Congrats on your loss. That is awesome

I ran my first half and many other , 5K, 8K 10K's before going to intervals.
Now I use Gymboss and I do 2:1 (run 2 walk 1) I run faster and further than before. I am so very happy that I follow the 2:1 vs walk when I need a break. My injuries have been less as well. Last year I had so much pain I did not know if I would even finish the PHM. Good Luck to you!!
Great 10K time!!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #2620
dizdreamer1955
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi everyone.

I think you are doing great!!! Congratulations!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #2621
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Feels like I'm starting from scratch here - did 2 miles Sat. as my first "long" run of the training plan. But I did it pain-free, so that's something, right? Baby steps... Seeing the sports med doc Thurs. and hoping he comes up with a magic cure I haven't yet tried for my ITBS. A girl can hope, right?!
I have no words of advice just lots of these !

I am so sorry you're going through all of this especially all of your careful training. This must be so frustrating - I do hope your doctor will know of a way to relieve your pain and get back into training.

More of these
Old 10-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #2622
disneymom2one
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

Okay I think I'm in. My preliminary teaching schedule just came out (I'm an adjunct at the same college where my husband is full time) and I'm off on Fridays which means we could leave on Friday morning. The bummer is that our teaching jobs plus a junior in high school mean we're headed home after the race but I think that's okay. General public resort codes are coming out. DVC PAP pass deal for tickets. Kind of feels like the stars are aligning.

Guess I'll see everyone in February. I'll be running by myself since my husband will have to drive home and it's a long drive for us (we live in Florida but about as far from the Mouse as you can get).

---living in paradise and vacationing with the Mouse

--- DVC members - OKW

Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #2623
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Hi everyone.

Amazing story. Congratulations! You should be beaming with pride.

We follow the Jeff Galloway walk/run plan which you can download from RunDisney. I have no training advice for you - others here are better off equiped to advise you on that aspect. I'd say to stay with whatever it is you're doing, keep doing it because it's paying off big time.

You need to register for the Princess. You can already do the mileage. I'm envious of your 10K time - it's great!

You are indeed a runner and don't let anyone say or hint at anything different. Wow.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #2624
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista311 View Post
yeah, it was a sunny day! i was in the middle of training for a tri, and did a brick the day before (something like 20-23 mile bike followed by a 2-3 mile run...honestly can't remember the details that far back), so i took it easy and paced my friend to sub 1 hr. i really wish they would move that 10K to the spring or fall...the course was so flat and fast.

he medley is the 5k, 10k, and half. the half is def a tough course (see above post) but it is possible to PR. qualifying for the marathon is a huge life goal for me. but clearly, as my new half PR is about a minute per mile slower then that i need to run a full marathon in, i have a long road ahead of me, if it ever does happen for me.

good luck in the 10k tomorrow...let us know how it goes!
10K was good-- didn't get a PR in time, but did in pace. The difference was the extra distance I ran weaving in and out of the other racers... it's much easier to PR in a race with <200 people than one with >7000. The weather was great for running, and the race was very well organized, and we met Joan Benoit Samuelson!

Any guesses as to what a Corral A time would be for the Princess? Last year, 1:04 was B, could 58:40 be A? I'm starting a 10K time improvement program (intervals, tempo runs) and aiming for a 10K at Thanksgiving, so we'll see how much improvement I can make!
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
Old 10-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #2625
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi everyone.

Oh. My. Goodness. You're about as real a runner as it gets, sister! Love the pics in your signature. What an amazing accomplishment.

Personally, I like intervals - it is mentally perfect for me to break a run up into shorter chunks. I tried doing smaller, time intervals, but found the stopping and starting too frequent for me and messed with my "groove". I ended up settling on running for a mile, walking for a minute and repeating that all the way through. On tougher days or when I am pushing my 4 y.o. in the stroller, I cut back to half mile intervals. You really just need to try a few things out to see what feels right. I agree with the prev. poster who said that she finds she is faster when she uses intervals.

As far as training goes, I would take a peek at several different half marathon plans and see what fits best in your schedule. Once you pick a plan, see how many weeks it takes and back it up from the Princess date. I would definitely not keep up a 13 mile long run every weekend from now to the princess; I think you need to give your body a bit of a break, knock it back and slowly work your way back up again. Otherwise, you are looking at a big chance of injury and just plain burn out.

Here are some popular plans: Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon, Train Like A Mother, Marathoning For Mortals (Jenny Hadfield), Run Less Run Faster.... I think there are also some on Runnersworld.com for free.

Glad to have you with us!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR

Last edited by tinkeramy; 10-08-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Added
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: