Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #2596
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post
I had the knee issue last year. I did not go the the doc. I went for acupuncture a few times and that helped. My pain was right behind my knee cap. I found a sports med doc by me just looking on line. I am to in the burbs.

I will be doing the Hot Chocolate as well, but this year I am only doing the 5K. You get the same goods for doing the 5 vs the 15. So this is now a fun run vs a training run.

I have had my eye on that Navy Pier 10 miler. But this year I did the Finish on the 50 and I am 2 weeks away from the Monster Dash Half. (Wish me Luck!)
How fun to find the Chicago Disney runners! Maybe we should get together and do the 5K Color Run next week together for fun. If we had a 4th Chicago princess we could be a team and save $5. I've never done it, but this is not a run for time...in fact I'd probably bring my kids who can't run a full 5K. Check out the video...it's beautiful.

http://thecolorrun.com/
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #2597
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
I had the knee issue last year. I did not go the the doc. I went for acupuncture a few times and that helped. My pain was right behind my knee cap. I found a sports med doc by me just looking on line. I am to in the burbs.
Which burb is the acupuncture or sports med doc in? I'm in Tinley Park and would love a good referral! My insurance is BCBS so I can go to just about anyone. I'll call Dr Ewert too and see if they can give me a referral (or if they aren't too far out of the loop, I can arrange appointments during the work day when I am downtown. Thanks!

Thanks to both my fellow Chicago girls! We should get together for a run at some point! That Monster Dash looks fun but I think it's the same day we're in Louisville for Tough Mudder. Otherwise I was seriously considering it. I do love running on the lakeshore so anything there is awesome. Maybe we should see if we can find a run in January when it's going to be harder to motivate ourselves to get out and train? I always train harder when I have something to work toward.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #2598
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post
How fun to find the Chicago Disney runners! Maybe we should get together and do the 5K Color Run next week together for fun. If we had a 4th Chicago princess we could be a team and save $5. I've never done it, but this is not a run for time...in fact I'd probably bring my kids who can't run a full 5K. Check out the video...it's beautiful.

I didn't realize they were doing that again this year! My nanny did it a few months ago and I remember making a mental note to watch for it next year. I bet my kids would love that too! DS7 can run 5K, DS5 can run 1-2 miles without whining and can walk the rest. DS3 would walk it and be distracted enough by the colors to not whine too much by the end. LOL! DH would probably be the one whining because he'd have to be slower than he wants to. but it looks awesome!! Not sure about adding a race in between now and TM with my gimp knee but I am thinking about it. Let me know if you are for sure doing it!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #2599
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run
Feeling discouraged today. About 3 weeks ago I ran 9.3 and spent the last 2 miles stretch/walk/run/gimping on a tweaked out knee. I did that to my other knee a few months ago and after taking it easy for a week or so, I was able to slowly get right back into things. So I let it go for about a week and tried to run on it. I got in a mile and it was painful. I let it go for another week and tried again and then today I was planning to do either 10K or 15K depending on how the mood strikes. I got 2 miles in and my knee was bothering me already. I only made it 5K and came home for some ice. Given that I spent the last mile gimping, my time wasn't bad (about 30 min) but I am getting nervous that this knee isn't going to just snap back.
I hate to even ask but... is the pain on the outside of the knee? If so, it sounds an awful lot like IT Band Syndrome - and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I'm hoping you'll say "inside" and this will be moot, but if not, Google IT Band Syndrome and start reading up. I've been dealing with it for months trying to make it through the TOT 10-Miler and just made it worse by racing. I'm back to square-1 now. Don't be me!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #2600
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
I hate to even ask but... is the pain on the outside of the knee? If so, it sounds an awful lot like IT Band Syndrome - and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I'm hoping you'll say "inside" and this will be moot, but if not, Google IT Band Syndrome and start reading up. I've been dealing with it for months trying to make it through the TOT 10-Miler and just made it worse by racing. I'm back to square-1 now. Don't be me!

It is on the outside. And it's probably one of the more painful things I've felt. When it happened on the right side, it was bad but it went away after a short while. This left one is stubborn though! When it first happened, by the time I got home, I was in tears. I managed the 3 yesterday without tears, but it was painful enough that I don't know if I could have gone any farther.

I'll Google, thanks! (I think ) Sorry you are going through it and hope we are both good as new by February!!

Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #2601
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative View Post
Great job--- Keep going- I am! Last month, I did my 5k in 41:02. I'm right there with you We'll keep plugging on together

Thanks for the kudos! Checked the actual results and it has me actually finishing at 39:43 with a 12:47 pace. (can't get the 3.1 X 12:47 to add up to the total time can anyone explain? Gonna use the "this was my first race" excuse!)
Old 10-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #2602
fashionista311
DIS Veteran

finally ran under 2 hours for a half marathon today! it was a tough course (mostly downhill with some small rollers for the first 10k, and then mostly uphill with some rollers for the last 7 or so...with miles 10-12.5 being basically all uphill), so i am so, so happy to have made my goal.

i remember my first half (rundisney of course) and being so happy to have finished in 3:15 and not seeing any sweepers. when we were getting back to the hotel, there were people who looked like they had already showered, ate, etc and were walking around in normal clothes and my mom mentioned they probably finished in under 2 hrs. at the time, running 13.1 miles in under 2 hours sounded almost superhuman, something i never[/I] thought i could do.

so, my point is, keep plugging away, putting in the miles, and big improvements can, and will happen over time! never give up on your goals, as crazy as they may seem at the time
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #2603
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

Wow-- I just finally caught up after being gone for the TOT! My training partners and I signed up for the Princess just before the price increase, and we'll be staying on DVC pts at BCV. Last year's PHM was my first runDisney race, but this year's PHM will be my 4th (DL1/2 and TOT since). This summer I was able to do a 10K in 58:30, which is probably close to the A/B cut-off. Being in D for the first PHM and moving up to B for the DL1/2 and A for the TOT--it makes a huge difference in the crowd levels at course narrows and character lines!

Even though there were a lot of complaints about the TOT, I've still mentally added it to my race schedule for 2013. The heat/humidity was AWFUL. It took me 2 hrs to finish the 10mi, when I was aiming for 1:30-1:40 (if conditions were great). I feel really back for those CMs who had to clean up DHS post-party-- there were a lot of sick people all over. It was hard to enjoy it, especially since we had to get up and check out Sunday morning. Next year, I'll aim for the Sunday MNSSHP and take Mon off instead of Fri.

Unfortunately, we'll have to leave Sunday after the PHM. But last year, I was cleaned up and back in the parks at 10:30AM, so it shouldn't be a problem, even if it's not ideal.

Any Boston folks running the Tufts 10K tomorrow? I just signed up today (crazy, I know), but the conditions look great-- cool, 50s, no rain--and it's a flat course along the river. My goal for the next 6 weeks: 10K time improvement!
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #2604
fashionista311
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerAllie View Post
Wow-- I just finally caught up after being gone for the TOT! My training partners and I signed up for the Princess just before the price increase, and we'll be staying on DVC pts at BCV. Last year's PHM was my first runDisney race, but this year's PHM will be my 4th (DL1/2 and TOT since). This summer I was able to do a 10K in 58:30, which is probably close to the A/B cut-off. Being in D for the first PHM and moving up to B for the DL1/2 and A for the TOT--it makes a huge difference in the crowd levels at course narrows and character lines!

Even though there were a lot of complaints about the TOT, I've still mentally added it to my race schedule for 2013. The heat/humidity was AWFUL. It took me 2 hrs to finish the 10mi, when I was aiming for 1:30-1:40 (if conditions were great). I feel really back for those CMs who had to clean up DHS post-party-- there were a lot of sick people all over. It was hard to enjoy it, especially since we had to get up and check out Sunday morning. Next year, I'll aim for the Sunday MNSSHP and take Mon off instead of Fri.

Unfortunately, we'll have to leave Sunday after the PHM. But last year, I was cleaned up and back in the parks at 10:30AM, so it shouldn't be a problem, even if it's not ideal.

Any Boston folks running the Tufts 10K tomorrow? I just signed up today (crazy, I know), but the conditions look great-- cool, 50s, no rain--and it's a flat course along the river. My goal for the next 6 weeks: 10K time improvement!
oh how funny...i just left boston after doing the baa half this morning! i'm in ct, but drove up to visit friends and do the race. i actually did the whole distance medley - i definitely recommend it as something to look into next year. all the races were very well run. we got an extra medal for doing whole series and i was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was!

if the weather is anything like it was this morning, you will definitely be in for a huge PR if your latest one was set in the summer
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #2605
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista311 View Post
oh how funny...i just left boston after doing the baa half this morning! i'm in ct, but drove up to visit friends and do the race. i actually did the whole distance medley - i definitely recommend it as something to look into next year. all the races were very well run. we got an extra medal for doing whole series and i was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was!

if the weather is anything like it was this morning, you will definitely be in for a huge PR if your latest one was set in the summer
Ha! That's pretty funny. I ran the BAA 10K in June-- the sun was a killer. Is the distance medley just the 3 races (not marathon)? My summer PR was a cloudy morning, but we'll see tomorrow I guess! Fingers crossed!
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #2606
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post

OMG I wish I knew about this before. I would so do this.
But we have a soccer tourney next weekedn
Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #2607
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Which burb is the acupuncture or sports med doc in? I'm in Tinley Park and would love a good referral! My insurance is BCBS so I can go to just about anyone. I'll call Dr Ewert too and see if they can give me a referral (or if they aren't too far out of the loop, I can arrange appointments during the work day when I am downtown. Thanks!

Thanks to both my fellow Chicago girls! We should get together for a run at some point! That Monster Dash looks fun but I think it's the same day we're in Louisville for Tough Mudder. Otherwise I was seriously considering it. I do love running on the lakeshore so anything there is awesome. Maybe we should see if we can find a run in January when it's going to be harder to motivate ourselves to get out and train? I always train harder when I have something to work toward.
I just sent you a PM with the info
I don't know of any Dec or Jan races off the top of my head, but I think that is a great idea to get together to do one.
There had got to be a christmas 5K some where.

Also if its your IT band OMG yes that hurts, do you have a foam roll. I use that and I did google strech's for it also. I also investedin K tape.
I was all taped up for the princess last year. I had a great race, but could not walk well once I was done.

I hope your better fast
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #2608
fashionista311
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerAllie View Post
Ha! That's pretty funny. I ran the BAA 10K in June-- the sun was a killer. Is the distance medley just the 3 races (not marathon)? My summer PR was a cloudy morning, but we'll see tomorrow I guess! Fingers crossed!
yeah, it was a sunny day! i was in the middle of training for a tri, and did a brick the day before (something like 20-23 mile bike followed by a 2-3 mile run...honestly can't remember the details that far back), so i took it easy and paced my friend to sub 1 hr. i really wish they would move that 10K to the spring or fall...the course was so flat and fast.

he medley is the 5k, 10k, and half. the half is def a tough course (see above post) but it is possible to PR. qualifying for the marathon is a huge life goal for me. but clearly, as my new half PR is about a minute per mile slower then that i need to run a full marathon in, i have a long road ahead of me, if it ever does happen for me.

good luck in the 10k tomorrow...let us know how it goes!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #2609
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Checking in

I have a check-in question. My DDs are doing the kids races on Saturday. Do they have to check in for those the day before? Or can we all go Saturday morning to WWoS and they can run their races and I can check in for the P1/2?

I'm trying to avoid multiple trips to WWoS.

TIA

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Old 10-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #2610
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
I just sent you a PM with the info
I don't know of any Dec or Jan races off the top of my head, but I think that is a great idea to get together to do one.
There had got to be a christmas 5K some where.

Also if its your IT band OMG yes that hurts, do you have a foam roll. I use that and I did google strech's for it also. I also investedin K tape.
I was all taped up for the princess last year. I had a great race, but could not walk well once I was done.

I hope your better fast
Got it -- thank you so much!

I have one of those sticks that I use to roll my calves. Will that do it or do you think the foam one would be better? I guess I need to get moving if I'm going to survive Tough Mudder with my knees in place!

I usually check CARA for runs but then see them pop up on FB or my friends mention it. I'm sure there must be something but pickings are definitely slimmer in the cold months.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: