Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #241
DIS-OH
Mouseketeer

I plan on running my 4th Princess in 2013! It is becoming an annual family event as my DH and one DD have run two and the other DD has run three.

And, I am doing the DL Half in Sept. 2012 so I can get my Coast to Coast medal!

Running at Disney is so much fun!

Trip #29...December 2013
Trip #30...February 2014 (Another Princess Half marathon)
Trip #31...June 2014 (Another High School Marching Band trip)

Stayed at CR, POFQ, POR, CBR, ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, POP, WL, YC and BWV--with POFQ and YC as our current favorites!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #242
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Asics 2160s on sale for $50-60 at 6pm.com. I think you can go through ebates to get a small percentage back, too. Happy shopping!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #243
louloubelle84
Earning My Ears

Hi ladies! I just finished reading this thread, and you have me inspired! This weekend my boyfriend and I decided to start walking and to sign up or the Wine and Dine 5k so we have a goal in mind. I have more than 100 lbs to lose, and I just began doing Weight Watchers as well. You all have encouraged me to set a goal to be with you all at the Princess Marathon Weekend. I'm not sure yet if I'll do the 5k again or try for the half marathon, but I will definitely be there!
Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #244
louloubelle84
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
I had a Bondi Band made with that splashed across it!
Princess, it seems we leave near each other! I'm in Tampa. Are you in Pinellas County?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #245
louloubelle84
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly0430 View Post
I don't know if I'll be running it, but I am planning to do it.
Aly, I just started reading your blog. Your weight loss is inspirational. I want to do the marathon, but I'd prefer to walk it. We'll see how far along I am when registration begins.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #246
HockeyKat
DIS Veteran

Congrats to the weekend racers!!

I volunteered for a water stop for a local half this morning. Miles 4 and 12. Man, there is such a difference in people's faces between those two markers!!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #247
belledreamer
Hello Sweetie... <3
Nothing like reaching a goal to keep you motivated!

Well I ran my first race this morning! Yes it was only a mile and yes I was one of the last people to finish. But I finished!!

Gotta tell all of you all about it!

My alarm went off at 6:10 this morning, I got dressed quickly and after packing a bottle of water and oatmeal bars, I took off for our local yearly strawberry festival. Unfortunately, I didn't quite know where the race was at and got lost a few times trying to get there. I'll spare you all the boring details but by the time I signed the form and the check and got my number, I literally had 30 seconds to find the 5 friends I was racing with, take my place and start running. No time to eat so ran on empty stomach. (1st mistake...)

Took off pretty strong, but after about 30 seconds of straight running, I had to slow down to a fast paced walk, already panting hard. The rest of my group took off and I lagged toward the back; not looking to break any records and not caring if I finished last, just wanting to finish. So I would run as long as I could, walk a little to catch my breath and then run some more while doing the best I could to keep 'the girls' in place. Half the time I had to stop to fix that. (I understand now why I don't see very many 'well-endowed' women running... ) A little disheartening that 6 year olds were passing me up fairly easy but I didn't care. I was going to finish if it killed me!

I was towards the back; about 6 of the 35 that did the race were behind me and behind them was a cop car bringing up the rear. (Very reminiscent of the sweepers ) So seeing them, I kept trying to run as long as I could; now determined not to be last.

When I finally turned that last corner, it was really exciting to see my friends from the gym already there and cheering me on. But even more exciting was to see the clock with my time. I had set a goal for myself to finish in under 18 minutes since I had never raced before, nor even run outside so I didn't know what to expect. Well imagine my surprise when at 30 feet away I saw 15 minutes on the clock! When I saw that, I took off like a mad woman to finish the last few feet and finished with a time of 15:32!! 28 seconds off my fastest time on the treadmill!!

They had banana halves, orange halves, and strawberry shortcake to eat and Powerade and water to drink for the runners. At that point, one of my friends pointed out that I was trembling (due to not eating) and I was a little nauseous, so I had a little bit of everything which helped. I don't even like bananas and oranges, but they were so good!

The next few minutes were filled with high-fives from my friends (who all work at my gym so they know how I've been working for this), texting my relatives to let them know I actually finished the race and calling my parents and grandpa with the first thing out of my mouth being "I did it!!" We stayed for a bit to watch the 10k which started about 15 minutes later. The first runner in came with a time of 34 minutes! WOW! After that, it was back home for a well deserved cold shower which was absolutely glorious.

Me and my t-shirt I got for running the race:

All in all, it was a good first experience. There were definitely some thing I would have done differently (eaten breakfast, gotten a racing bra, etc.) but my knees, back and shoulders aren't hurting and there's definitely the satisfaction of accomplishment. Plus it gave me a good idea of what to expect and work on for the next one.

Can't wait to try this again! But I still don't like running...
Old 04-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #248
mahipp
Mouseketeer

Congrats Belledreamer!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #249
mahipp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle84 View Post
Princess, it seems we leave near each other! I'm in Tampa. Are you in Pinellas County?
I'm in the Tampa Bay area. Is there a W.I.S.H. group here?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #250
becky11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahipp View Post
I'm in the Tampa Bay area. Is there a W.I.S.H. group here?
If there is, sign me up!

Retired USAF 11/1/12 after 21 years!

Apparently, I'm a runner. Who knew?
------------------------------------
Race for the Taste 10K (WDW) 11 Oct 09 -- Tower of Terror 13K (WDW) 24 Oct 09 -- Inaugural Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 2 Oct 10 -- 2nd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 1 Oct 11 -- Inaugural Tinker Bell Half Marathon (DL) 29 Jan 12 -- Royal Family 5K (WDW) 25 Feb 12 -- 4th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 26 Feb 12 - CtC! -- 5th Annual Expedition Everest Challenge (WDW) 5 May 12 - DH's first race! -- US Air Force Marathon (Dayton, OH) 15 Sep 12 - first full marathon! -- Inaugural Tower of Terror 10-miler (WDW) 29 Sep 12 -- 3rd Annual Wine & Dine Half Marathon (WDW) 10 Nov 12 -- 5th Annual Princess Half Marathon (WDW) 24 Feb 13
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #251
louloubelle84
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky11 View Post
If there is, sign me up!
I don't know; I'm new to all of this. I would like more information though.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #252
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Way to go Belledreamer!!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 04-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #253
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belledreamer View Post

Congrats on your 1st race. I bet after doing a couple of RunDisney Races you will like running.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #254
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You know what - hang in there, because I've been running for about 2 years now and I STILL hate the first mile or two. But it also comes and goes. Yesterday I ran 4 miles - the farthest I've run since my last half-marathon on St. Pat's weekend. I hated every. single. mile. Don't know why, but it's just the way it was.

But running races is completely different. The atmosphere, the comaraderie, the spirit - THAT is why I run during the week. I don't love running for itself, really. I love how I feel afterwards and the sense of accomplishment and I love the events. So don't feel like a failure or a weirdo if you never love the actual running!

Congrats on not only finishing but doing so ahead of goal time!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #255
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
I

Congrats! 8 was kind of the magic number for me; I don't know why, but somehow when I reached 8 miles, I was finally convinced that I could do 13.

I know exactly what you mean about that 8 mile mark! Honestly, I feel like I could run a half now.. I mean, I've ran 8, what's 5 more?

When you hit the end of the training plan, you could either restart to give your body a break and build back up again, or you could just go into "maintenance" mode, where you keep the high weekend mileage but just go down a little bit every few weeks so that you are not busting out half marathons each weekend!!!! I think you would be fine if you wanted to keep long runs at 8-10 miles and then work back up right before the Princess.
Great idea! The app is only for 13 weeks, and right now I'm doing the "finish in the upright position" training plan, maybe next time I'll switch it up to increase my pace..

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
Yes, there is a family 5K on Saturday, then the Half-Marathon on Sunday
Thanks for that info! Do people run the 5k for time? Or is it a fun run also..

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
Hey ladies, I know this isn't related to this post but I signed up for the TOT 10-miler and I am PUMPED!!! We are taking advantage of free dining so that will save us a bundle, plus the race is not as expensive either! So, here I go training again lol!!

Just a quick question to the vets out there - I really wanna work on my time this spring for a better 10K this summer - specifically I want to get it in under an hour - my Turkey Trot was 1:06.30, which isn't horrible, but I'd like to get a better time to submit for the TOT - I've heard sprints and I've heard hills - what has worked for you all on time?? Thanks
1:06 is great! I have a 10k in June, and I hope to be right around the hour mark as well.. for speed work, I do 3-4 mile intervals at the track, with a short 1-2 minute rest in between. I also run a LOT of hills and I push both of my babies in the double jogging stroller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Asics 2160s on sale for $50-60 at 6pm.com. I think you can go through ebates to get a small percentage back, too. Happy shopping!
Nice! I haven't worn Asics for years, I bought some Brooks Defyance that I

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle84 View Post
Hi ladies! I just finished reading this thread, and you have me inspired! This weekend my boyfriend and I decided to start walking and to sign up or the Wine and Dine 5k so we have a goal in mind. I have more than 100 lbs to lose, and I just began doing Weight Watchers as well. You all have encouraged me to set a goal to be with you all at the Princess Marathon Weekend. I'm not sure yet if I'll do the 5k again or try for the half marathon, but I will definitely be there!
That is great!! You can do it!!

Quote:
Well I ran my first race this morning! Yes it was only a mile and yes I was one of the last people to finish. But I finished!!

Gotta tell all of you all about it!

My alarm went off at 6:10 this morning, I got dressed quickly and after packing a bottle of water and oatmeal bars, I took off for our local yearly strawberry festival. Unfortunately, I didn't quite know where the race was at and got lost a few times trying to get there. I'll spare you all the boring details but by the time I signed the form and the check and got my number, I literally had 30 seconds to find the 5 friends I was racing with, take my place and start running. No time to eat so ran on empty stomach. (1st mistake...)

Took off pretty strong, but after about 30 seconds of straight running, I had to slow down to a fast paced walk, already panting hard. The rest of my group took off and I lagged toward the back; not looking to break any records and not caring if I finished last, just wanting to finish. So I would run as long as I could, walk a little to catch my breath and then run some more while doing the best I could to keep 'the girls' in place. Half the time I had to stop to fix that. (I understand now why I don't see very many 'well-endowed' women running... ) A little disheartening that 6 year olds were passing me up fairly easy but I didn't care. I was going to finish if it killed me!

I was towards the back; about 6 of the 35 that did the race were behind me and behind them was a cop car bringing up the rear. (Very reminiscent of the sweepers ) So seeing them, I kept trying to run as long as I could; now determined not to be last.

When I finally turned that last corner, it was really exciting to see my friends from the gym already there and cheering me on. But even more exciting was to see the clock with my time. I had set a goal for myself to finish in under 18 minutes since I had never raced before, nor even run outside so I didn't know what to expect. Well imagine my surprise when at 30 feet away I saw 15 minutes on the clock! When I saw that, I took off like a mad woman to finish the last few feet and finished with a time of 15:32!! 28 seconds off my fastest time on the treadmill!!

They had banana halves, orange halves, and strawberry shortcake to eat and Powerade and water to drink for the runners. At that point, one of my friends pointed out that I was trembling (due to not eating) and I was a little nauseous, so I had a little bit of everything which helped. I don't even like bananas and oranges, but they were so good!

The next few minutes were filled with high-fives from my friends (who all work at my gym so they know how I've been working for this), texting my relatives to let them know I actually finished the race and calling my parents and grandpa with the first thing out of my mouth being "I did it!!" We stayed for a bit to watch the 10k which started about 15 minutes later. The first runner in came with a time of 34 minutes! WOW! After that, it was back home for a well deserved cold shower which was absolutely glorious.

Me and my t-shirt I got for running the race:

All in all, it was a good first experience. There were definitely some thing I would have done differently (eaten breakfast, gotten a racing bra, etc.) but my knees, back and shoulders aren't hurting and there's definitely the satisfaction of accomplishment. Plus it gave me a good idea of what to expect and work on for the next one.

Great job!!! Now that you have your first race under your belt, you can do more! I totally understand about not liking running... the first mile or two of EVERY run that I do.. is VERY HARD. I'm not sure if it takes me that long to get warmed up, or if it's mental! Keep at it, it DOES get easier

I have a 5k race Thursday night, and my nerves are already setting in!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: