Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #2506
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative View Post
Question for those of you who have run this before and have stayed at an off site hotel: How bad is the traffic/how much time do you leave yourself to park? I'm kind of torn between booking either an All Star through runDisney or just an off site by naming my own price on Priceline.

The thing that gets me is the parking aspect-- if I'm offsite and they offer a shuttle.. surely they wouldn't shuttle me at THAT hour so I'd have to drive and park. And I'm worried that I'm going to have "Late to the race" dreams (like Late to Work, Late to School for a test dreams) from now until Feb

How bad is it, exactly?
I didn't stay offsite, but I stayed at Ft. Wilderness and drove myself over. I think I left around 3:30 or 4:00 am, so offsite I guess I'd plan to leave around 3:00 - 3:15 - 3:30 depending on which offsite and how close you are. They'll shut the roads that the race is on, so you just want to make sure that you have a route to get to Epcot parking that doesn't involve any of the race roads. I don't recall if they were charging to park since I had our resort parking slip in the windshield...but I would hope that it would be included in our race fees, right??? I do remember having some time to sit in the parking lot to mess with my playlist etc. Since I was by myself I didn't feel compelled to go out too soon.

As for leaving, I didn't have a problem getting out, but I left pretty much right after I finished since we were hitting the road to head home that morning. I started in corral B and finished in just under 2 hrs, so I probably missed a lot of the traffic heading out. If you plan on not making a mad dash for the car like I did and actually enjoying the festivities, maybe stash some baby wipes and deoderant spray in the car along with a change of clothes just in case the traffic looks bad so you can poke around Epcot and wait for it to die down? Of course that would mean park admission, so I guess that could come into play depending on your plans.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #2507
Maddies Mama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sau418 View Post
I went one of our local running stores this past weekend and I think the lady who worked with me was nuts. I was not comfortable in the shoes she was pushing even after I asked to try others she still pushed the first ones. I am hoping to make it to a different running store tomorrow evening and see what they say. I know the shoes I am running in are not helping me at all and are probably the reason my legs hurt.
Wow wonder if we have the same running store LOL! I had a very similar experience. I'd always worn size 9's in New Balances and after I stepped on the plate thing they have, they determined my correct size was 8.5. When I put them on, they were uncomfortable and elt like they were suffocating my feet but they told me that was normal and to run in them. So against my better judgment thinking they were the experts, I did and before the end of mile 1, I had blisters and hot spots forming all over my feet. I've never had a pair of running shoes where I blistered so much so fast - I don't usually blister at all with the right shoe. I tried to take them back and they would not accept a return since I'd worn them (for less than a mile, no dirt or wear/tear on them at all) and were reluctant to allow me to make an exchange. I got Brooks Ghost 3 shoes and have been in them ever since (well, not the same pair, but that's what I always buy). And no blisters from day 1! They don't make those anymore so I'm back to the drawing board and due for shoes soon.

Also, I am new to this thread so forgive me if I missed it in the last 168 pages of replies, but is there a Facebook group set up for us from the Disboards to get to know each other before the race on a more personal level (obviously for those who feel comfortable doing so)?

Disney Cruises: Dream 12/11

Run Disney: 12/11 Castaway Cay 5k, 02/13 Princess 1/2 Marathon

Coming soon: Star Wars Rebel Challenge, Disneyland 01/15

Last edited by Maddies Mama; 10-03-2012 at 08:40 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #2508
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddies Mama View Post
Wow wonder if we have the same running store LOL! I had a very similar experience. I'd always worn size 9's in New Balances and after I stepped on the plate thing they have, they determined my correct size was 8.5. When I put them on, they were uncomfortable and elt like they were suffocating my feet but they told me that was normal and to run in them. So against my better judgment thinking they were the experts, I did and before the end of mile 1, I had blisters and hot spots forming all over my feet. I've never had a pair of running shoes where I blistered so much so fast - I don't usually blister at all with the right shoe. I tried to take them back and they would not accept a return since I'd worn them (for less than a mile, no dirt or wear/tear on them at all) and were reluctant to allow me to make an exchange. I got Brooks Ghost 3 shoes and have been in them ever since (well, not the same pair, but that's what I always buy). And no blisters from day 1! They don't make those anymore so I'm back to the drawing board and due for shoes soon.
Wow, ugh! This may be harsh, but I think a good running store should absolutely accept a return of shoes that have been run in and work with you until they find a shoe that works for you. I know my local store gives you 30 days and guarantees their sales 100% with or without a receipt. I've only returned a pair once for an exchange in size, but it is good to know their policy is in place.

I've never had my foot scanned, but for what it's worth, here's why my local store doesn't use scanners: (pasted from their web site)

ScannerMany people wonder why we don't use a "foot scanner" that you can step on to determine what shoe or insole is right for you. These computerized scanners, which are being installed in drug stores and superstores, show your foot's pressure points and arch type. It's a fancy way of doing the "Wet Test": wet your feet and stand on a surface, like a brown paper bag, that leaves a visible footprint. The wider the band that connects your heel and ball, the lower the arch you have.

Your arch type effects your biomechanics and is an important component of choosing the right shoe for your foot, but it is only part of the FIT story since at least 20% of people's arches act differently than they "should". Here at Fleet Feet Sports, our FIT Process has three main components that help us define your foot and make the best shoe recommendations for you: foot morphology, biomechanical assessment and "other".

Foot morphology is a fancy way of saying that we analyze your foot size, shape and arch type. This is done by visually looking at the foot statically and dynamically (important since you are in motion when you run!) and taking multiple measurements with an old-fashioned Brannock device. This helps us to choose the right size shoe and shoe brand since each shoe company fits a certain shaped foot better. That is why your friend may swear by his Asics shoes, but they cause you pain.

Next, we examine your biomechanics by determining your arch flexibility and doing a gait analysis (either watching you walk barefoot or with our video gait analysis software). This tells us if you overpronate, supinate or are naturally efficient which in turn, governs what type of shoe (neutral, stability or motion control) you need, as well as the curvature of your shoe's last. Key here is arch flexibility since a rigid arch needs extra cushioning to help attenuate the shock produced when the foot hits the ground at forces of 2-4 times body weight. Whereas, a flexible arch disperses shock better, but all that flexibility in the mid and fore foot can cause overpronation which stresses and torques your feet, shins, knees, hips and back causing its own host of problems.

Finally, we take other special considerations into account like your gender, weight, training surface, weekly mileage, injury status, orthotics and structural deviations in the foot like bunions and extra bones. We put all this data together and bring out 2-3 pairs of shoes that we think will fit you best. Don't be surprised if one of those first shoes feels amazing - it means that we did our job right!

When you think about it, the foot is a marvelous structure. It has 28 bones (including the sesmoids), 33 joints, 112 ligaments, plus tendons, nerves and blood vessels that work in unison to support, balance and propel your body. No two feet are exactly the same nor do they always fit into a specific category. Don't cheat your feet and let a computer scan recommend an orthotic or running shoe for you. An injury is going to cost you a lot more, monetarily and mentally, than a good pair of shoes. Invest in your feet. Let our Fit Professionals teach you about your feet and help you find the perfect fit. We guarantee it!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #2509
happybaker
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Gryhndmom;46320497LOVED reading your post! I think you had a great time in the race considering the weather factors. I am hoping for my very, very very first 5K here in San Antonio on Saturday that it's not the usual 1000% humidity and I can hold my 13:00 min mi pace. If not....I'll be happy just to finish! [/QUOTE]

The best of luck to you on your first 5K this Saturday; I know you will do great! Thanks for saying you enjoyed my post on my first half. That's what I love about this board -- everyone is so supportative and encouraging to people they don't even know. I can come on here an get inspired again and again to go out and train, so thank you to all of you great women.

And because I'm feeling extra sappy today, I know the Official Disney Training starts this week, and I just want to say to anyone just starting out that you CAN do this!!! It's intiminidating to think right now that you have to finish 13.1 miles, but take it each mile at a time right now. Follow the training (whichever program you decide to follow) and you will succeed!!!

Quote:
Womp Womp. I don't have the race retreat. Does that mean no silliness for me?
I don't have the race retreat either, so we'll have to make some silliness of our own in the streets.

Holly
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #2510
Jubilee
<3 my kids

We should SO meet up beforehand to hang out. Maybe we can make a neon sign and sort of hang out there. I don't really want to wear a specific shirt since I want to dress up -- like most of you, I'm sure ...but a sign could work...
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #2511
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

I want to join in the pre-race dancing and silliness but no race retreat for me either so I'll have to dance and be silly with Christina and Holly in the street!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #2512
Jubilee
<3 my kids

I won't be doing the retreat either. I'm too cheap

But I have had fun dancing before every Disney event. It's a good warm up and when you wait in line to get the pics it's fun to have the music and entertainment to pass the time.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #2513
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Maybe we should have two meetups then....One for the race retreaters and another for the non race retreaters. Then at some point have everyone one get together for a silly dance party before the race. How does that sound.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #2514
Jubilee
<3 my kids

Sounds good to me!! Want me to make a sign since I'm local (for the non-retreaters?)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #2515
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3 View Post
I'm starting my training tomorrow, I'm using Jeff Galloway's and it was supposed to start yesterday but I still felt tired from the 10 miler on Saturday...
Ditto that (bolding is mine)! I'm absolutely wiped, still. 20 minutes walking and 20 upper body resistance band last night left me falling asleep on the couch.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with training at this point. The TOT re-aggravated my IT Band all over again, so I'm not running at all this week to let the inflammation go down. But I did make it 3.5 miles in the race before pain struck - that's 1 longer than I've been able to go for a while, so I was making progress, at least. I'll start back up from scratch: keeping the mileage low enough not to cause pain and (hopefully) building it back up from there.

And my time from TOT will NOT be used for Princess corral placement. I was forced to walk so much of it, not to mention repeatedly pull over to stretch, that I ended with an average 16:20/mile pace. Before being injured, I was solidly sub-12:00, so this is incredibly disappointing. There's a timed 10K near me Nov. 17, so I'm just hoping I'm well enough to do that and nail a decent pace to submit for the Princess. Fingers crossed...

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #2516
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Oh ITB sucks... I'm sorry it slowed you down so much!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #2517
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
Sounds good to me!! Want me to make a sign since I'm local (for the non-retreaters?)
Yes! Should it say "Cheap Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" ?

[/img]
Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #2518
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes! Should it say "Cheap Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" ?

Awesome! That fits perfectly for me!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #2519
Jubilee
<3 my kids

Love it!!! lol

As we get closer, we can make a list of everyone (names or screen names) to add to it. Isn't like neon green the official DIS color? I think I could find a double sided poster that color.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #2520
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Agreed!!! Given the choice between running 13.1 at the Magic Kingdom or trying to herd cats...I mean watch small children (same thing, right?) that's an easy choice!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: