Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #2431
MouserQ
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
I wear my phone at the center of my back and then use a bluetooth headset. It fits my ID and a few bucks as well.
I'm in the market for a bluetooth solution to running with tunes -- do you have one you particularly like? anyone else want to chime in on this?
Old 09-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #2432
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
I see that you're in N. Ga. Thanksgiving morning is the Must Ministries' Gobble Job - a 10K. It was quite fun last year and there was some hilly residential areas to the course that surprised me.

Good to hear the Publix 1/2 was fun. I had been toying with that one.
I did the Gobble Jog 2 years ago - it was my first 10K. I walked the hills then - I'm coming back for revenge and I am running those suckers! Was the guy with the tuba on his front porch there last year? He would play the tune and 2 ladies with him would yell, "Charge!" Repeatedly. I think the blender was running early that morning...

I enjoyed the Publix Half. The ONLY neg. I have to say about it was that the corrals were a mess. Hard to get to each one and the vols were letting anyone in any corral. The race actually started before I got back to my corral, so I just jumped in where I was and was smushed in for just a little bit. Other than that, the course was really well thought out, but it did have some killer hills by Piedmont Park. Although there were some bare stretches, they did have a lot of people in neighborhoods come out and cheer, so that was fun. I did a post about it: http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com...rgia-half.html I'm also avenging myself on this course - I was only 4 minutes behind my PR, which was set on a completely flat course on a much cooler day. I will conquer it!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #2433
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouserQ View Post
I'm in the market for a bluetooth solution to running with tunes -- do you have one you particularly like? anyone else want to chime in on this?
I have the Platronic Backbeat 903+ headset. My running buddy has the same ones and we both love them. She has little ears and has problems with headphones staying on, so that's saying a lot that she loves them. The thing is that they let in ambient sound. Which, for many headsets is a negative, but I think for safety it is a great thing to have in a running headset. I can still hear everything around me and carry on a conversation because the part that goes in your ear kind of channels the music in vs. being like a true ear bud. Another plus for them is that they use a micro USB charger, as does my phone, so no messing with an additional charger. Another plus is the price point...they don't break the bank. The drawback so far with the Plantronics is that they're not terribly water/sweat resistant. I wear a bondiband 99% of the time, so I think that helps a lot with soaking up my sweat, but my friend doesn't. She's on her second pair of Plantronics and it is starting to flake out again on her, so she's close to round 3. Why she doesn't hop on some sort of sweat soaker bandwagon is beyond me

My DH runs with Jaybird headphones, which are really nice and even lighter so more free feeling. Great sound and cool little rubber thing that keeps them in your ears, but they completely block ambient noise. I think they're supposed to be more water/sweat resistant, too. But they're more expensive (though he got a good price on them at a race expo). The downside is the proprietary charge cord...so he better never lose it!

I've also tried Motorola ones as well, those were good too, but they were the "princess leia" style and the foam for the ears got yucky after a year. Otherwise I liked them...but because they had a stiff ring for around/behind your head I was always worried about them snapping in half in my bag.

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #2434
uccats97
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post
Here's the visor just in case we don't meet up
http://shop.runningprincess.com/RUNN...SOR-TV-108.htm

I think I'll be experimenting to wear a costume tiara for the 1/2, but I got this to keep me going through training. Who knows...still plenty of time to think about hair! Any suggestions about affixing tiara's are welcome though, since this is the best place to discuss such topics
That is the cutest thing ever! Love it!

Me DH DS(18) DD(11) DD(9) DD(6)
1979-2000 Too many WDW day trips to count!
2001 DL/CA offsite, 2002 WDW offsite, 2003 WDW offsite, 2005 WDW offsite, 2007 WDW offsite, 2009 WDW offsite (Spring), 2009 WDW SSR (July), 2010 WDW ASMovies, 2011 WDW offsite (June), 2011 WDW, MVMCP Doubletree DTD (December), 2012 WDW offsite (June), 2012 DL/CA, minus the kids, offsite (December), 2013 WDW Princess Half Marathon weekend ASMusic (Feb), 2013 WDW AoA Cars Suite (June), 2014 WDW Pop Century Mother/Daughter trip (March/April), 2014 WDW POR Tower of Terror 10 Miler (October)
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #2435
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Sorry, girls, I have been totally MIA. I went back to work to start a new school year and it has been NUTS!

I had a great 10K 2 weeks ago and did a PR. Not the best but I will take 67 minutes since I have come a LONG way in the last 4 months. I completely cannot wait for Princess to come along!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #2436
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Princesses....I am having a hard time finding out where online to purchase the "discount theme park tickets". I have the code from registration but I just can't navigate the new RunDisney website to find where I can purchase the tickets for us. Thanks and I hope someone has the answer.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #2437
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Princesses....I am having a hard time finding out where online to purchase the "discount theme park tickets". I have the code from registration but I just can't navigate the new RunDisney website to find where I can purchase the tickets for us. Thanks and I hope someone has the answer.

Where did you get the code from? I don't think I got one.

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #2438
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2 View Post
Where did you get the code from? I don't think I got one.
For me it is on page 6 of 10 pages from the online registration paperwork. Under Theme Park Tickets.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #2439
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
I ordered them with the resort stay discount package.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #2440
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

I have the tiara visor too. Got it for the Princess this year. I run with it all the time. I can't wear my sunglasses, they fog up. Apparently my eyes sweat a lot. Love the visor.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 AM   #2441
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

The bad news is that my littlest one is sick today. The good news is that means we're going to do a little costuming research while she's sick on the couch, we're going to do a princess movie marathon to prepare for the Princess 1/2 marathon.

First up, Pocohontas as I'll be running the 5K as her with my 9 yr old as Meeko

Still undecided about the long run costume.

Last edited by sherekhan; 09-28-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #2442
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post

We have a HUGE 5 MILE turkey trot. not helping man! I need that 10K. lol I am going to Dallas (again, with Dallas!) for Thanksgiving this year BECAUSE they have an 8 mile turkey trot. It's nuts!
Fort Worth's Turkey Trot offers a 10K. I'll be using that for my Proof of Time.

It starts at 8:15 am, so it gives me plenty of time to finish and get home to watch TCU beat UT. No offense, Longhorns2!

Last edited by Mommy to Two Princes; 09-28-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #2443
sau418
Mouseketeer

I just picked up my race packet for my first 10K on Sunday, the Pittsburgh Great Race. I am excited and terrified at the same time. This is my longest race so far. I did the marathon relay in May and ran 5.7, so I know I can do this (ran 8 last weekend) but is still nerve racking.

While at the expo I also signed up for my second half marathon the Pittsburgh Half Marathon, on May 5, 2013. I will be running it with my dad who will be 74, and just qualified to run the Boston Marathon.

Two questions, do you change up your playlist for race day and if so what kind of changes do you make?

For the longer races (half and up) do you use nutritional supplements, gels, jelly beans, etc? If so how did you go about deciding what to use and when? I have seen alot of these in stores and am just curious, I would hate to try something on a race and not have a good experience with it.

Thanks!!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #2444
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Two Princes

Fort Worth's Turkey Trot offers a 10K. I'll be using that for my Proof of Time.

It starts at 8:15 am, so it gives me plenty of time to finish and get home to watch TCU beat UT. No offense, Longhorns2!
Ooohhh... I might do the 10k instead. My inlaws are in Plano so anything in dfw will get me out if the house long enough... Ha

This is a game I am totally looking forward to! Bring it TCU!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 09-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #2445
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sau418 View Post

For the longer races (half and up) do you use nutritional supplements, gels, jelly beans, etc? If so how did you go about deciding what to use and when? I have seen alot of these in stores and am just curious, I would hate to try something on a race and not have a good experience with it.

Thanks!!
Never mess around with a new food on race day. That's even more important than clothing.Try it out on a training run and see how it goes. Some people's stomachs just don't agree with them, or with certain brands, so don't mess around with ruining your special race day!

Here's a little link about it that I think sums up the pros & cons decently.
http://www.allaboutrunning.net/sri-c...og/energy-gels

Personally, I drink at every water stop, but never take any food/gel of any kind in before 7 miles, but I've also heard that you should take them earlier because your digestion process slows or stops later in the race if you're really under duress. I would imagine everyone is different and there's probably lot of different theories out there.

Always, always, always take them with water...and not with sports drinks or just alone.

I never figured out the thing with jelly beans. Wouldn't candy set you up for that energy loss feeling? They're not made of the carbs that easily break down. Maybe people use them more for a psychological treat to say "good job, Me!" ??

Does anyone know what brand of power gel is offered on the Princess course? Usually I tried to match my training with what was offered in a marathon in case I needed something and ran out.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: