Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #2416
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_princess
When you are planning your costume, do you think about how comfortable it is on a long run??? I'm thinking of just wearing a tutu and a tiara, but I'm nervous about the tutu moving around and up and down while running, and the tiara giving me a head ache on the way.
Do you have any ideas on how to avoid this?
It's advised to do at least one long-ish run in your race day attire to make sure you aren't going to need to make any adjustments. Your neighbors may think you have lost it though

Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 AM   #2417
the_princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
It's advised to do at least one long-ish run in your race day attire to make sure you aren't going to need to make any adjustments. Your neighbors may think you have lost it though
People will think i'm completely crazy I think I might have to run very late at night!

MY DISNEY PICTURES
:
Holiday time at DL Tour Dec'13: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3210059

WDW & WWOHP Dec '11: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#26.0

WDW & SW Feb '13: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#30.0

MY DISNEY STAYS:
July '03-DLP Dec '03-DLP NPBC Sep '04-DLP SL Sep '05-DLP HNY Mar '07-WDW Offside (Comfort Inn) Dec '07-DLP SF Feb '08-DLP SL Oct '08-WDW Renaissance Resort SeaWorld, AKL & POR May '09-DLP SL Dec '09-DLP HNY July '10-DLR DLH Feb '11-DLP DLH Dec'11-WDW POR August'12-DLP.Jan'13-DLP Chyenne Feb'13-WDW PORDec'13-DL Offsite
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #2418
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

My Maleficent headband is here. It's amazing, but I'm not sure how well it's going to work for my costume. I'm probably going to have to tweak it, and tons of bobby pins will be needed, for sure.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #2419
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Good morning! Asking for 2 things - today is Princess SaySay's birthday (Julie!) so happy wishes for her. Also, sadly, today is the day her beloved BIL is having surgery as part of his cancer treatment. So send up prayers, good thoughts, vibes, whatever for Phil to honor Julie's birthday! Thanks, friends!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 09-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #2420
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative View Post
Great post-- Maybe-- just watch where you throw that cup of water?
Oooo - good one! I had someone throw a cup of water down right in front of me. Nothing like a wet sock in the first few miles of a half marathon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
It's the same here in Austin. Tons of 5ks, fair amount of halves even. But timed 10ks are rare! We do one huge one (think 40k runners) and then nothing ... It's crazy. There is one in October I found that I'm running for time, but I traveled to Dallas last year for my 10k. (Hoping to improve on that time!)
Seriously! I don't get it. In the hot south, fall is the PERFECT time for 10K's. However, the only one I can find around here is on Tgvg morning, so I'll be doing that. Everything else is 5K's - what's the deal?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
I signed up for Hot Chocolate 15K partly to get a time for the Princess and partly because I am hoping the chocolate at the end provides enough incentive to go go go!!!! And the goodie bag is an awesome hoodie plus all the chocolate you can eat (or carry).
Our local one for this is in January and I think I'm doing it. It'll be a good distance for right before the Princess and, well, I am a sucker for that hoodie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
Exactly!!!! I think I have runner's ADD. LOL!! I need it broken up into little bits to keep from getting bored. Run, run, run....oooooh a Princess!!!!...run, run....ooooh a castle!!! Hey, there's my kids, better smile!!...run, run...hmmm, any characters? No? Maybe I should look at my phone...oooh, run time? Hmmm, okay...finish line yet? No? Hmm...run, run...hey it's Tinkerbell!!!...Hey, *I'M* Tinkerbell!! YES! I love today!!! Wait, I'm tired and my legs hurt...are we there yet?...

I can't see myself ever doing a full marathon, but then again, I never thought I'd do a half either and I'm already planning Princess '13, Tink '14 and W&D '14 so I guess anything could happen.
You know, as long as I have the ipod, I'm good. On shorter distances, I kinda feel like I'm JUST getting into my groove, and then it's over. On longer distances I can zone out and just kind of get into my head for a while - not as scary as that might sound! And the Publix Half last spring was neat b/c it wound through lots of really nice parts of Atlanta, so it was pretty cool to see areas that I don't get to a lot. I don't however, ever see me doing a full marathon. For a first time it would probably take me around 5 hours and there are very few things I can think of that I want to do 5 hours straight! I agree with Patty - the only way I can see myself doing a full would be at WDW so I could run through all 4 parks. And that would take me WAAAAAY more than 5 hours b/c I am ALL ABOUT the pictures!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 09-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #2421
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Seriously! I don't get it. In the hot south, fall is the PERFECT time for 10K's. However, the only one I can find around here is on Tgvg morning, so I'll be doing that. Everything else is 5K's - what's the deal?!?!

You know, as long as I have the ipod, I'm good. On shorter distances, I kinda feel like I'm JUST getting into my groove, and then it's over. On longer distances I can zone out and just kind of get into my head for a while - not as scary as that might sound! And the Publix Half last spring was neat b/c it wound through lots of really nice parts of Atlanta, so it was pretty cool to see areas that I don't get to a lot. I don't however, ever see me doing a full marathon. For a first time it would probably take me around 5 hours and there are very few things I can think of that I want to do 5 hours straight! I agree with Patty - the only way I can see myself doing a full would be at WDW so I could run through all 4 parks. And that would take me WAAAAAY more than 5 hours b/c I am ALL ABOUT the pictures!
I see that you're in N. Ga. Thanksgiving morning is the Must Ministries' Gobble Job - a 10K. It was quite fun last year and there was some hilly residential areas to the course that surprised me.

Good to hear the Publix 1/2 was fun. I had been toying with that one.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #2422
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Agreed. I think about that all the time. When I used to run non-costume mararthons, it was still foremost in my mind to test everything before race day- fanny packs, water bottles, jog bras...never wear anything you haven't tried on a long run. Things tend to chafe or jiggle in ways that you might not anticipate. I've witnessed many uncomfortable and bleeding people on the course that didn't try out a tank top or something ahead of time. I can only imagine it's that much worse with tulle involved!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #2423
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherekhan View Post
Agreed. I think about that all the time. When I used to run non-costume mararthons, it was still foremost in my mind to test everything before race day- fanny packs, water bottles, jog bras...never wear anything you haven't tried on a long run. Things tend to chafe or jiggle in ways that you might not anticipate. I've witnessed many uncomfortable and bleeding people on the course that didn't try out a tank top or something ahead of time. I can only imagine it's that much worse with tulle involved!
True! Any minor annoyance that you think you can ignore for a mile or two is for sure gonna be a major problem that you can't ignore at mile 12 and 13. Probably the most important thing to think about when deciding on a tutu would be to make sure the tutu is shorter than the shorts you plan to wear underneath (or just wear running capris) and be sure it's not so poofy that it will touch your arms while running. So, no tulle touching skin anywhere! That would get really uncomfortable really fast!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #2424
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
My Maleficent headband is here. It's amazing, but I'm not sure how well it's going to work for my costume. I'm probably going to have to tweak it, and tons of bobby pins will be needed, for sure.
PICTURES!!! Please!!!

Quote:
Good morning! Asking for 2 things - today is Princess SaySay's birthday (Julie!) so happy wishes for her. Also, sadly, today is the day her beloved BIL is having surgery as part of his cancer treatment. So send up prayers, good thoughts, vibes, whatever for Phil to honor Julie's birthday! Thanks, friends!
Sending loads of prayers and well wishes to the family! I hope it all goes well today for Phil! (and happy birthday to SaySay!)

Quote:

We have a HUGE 5 MILE turkey trot. not helping man! I need that 10K. lol I am going to Dallas (again, with Dallas!) for Thanksgiving this year BECAUSE they have an 8 mile turkey trot. It's nuts!

5 hours--- I wish it would only be 5 hours! That's my other issue with doing a marathon... it's gonna take me a freakin LONG time to complete that sucker. I'll be pushing that 7 hr mark for sure.

But 2014 is looking like the year to do it.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #2425
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
PICTURES!!! Please!!!

I'll have more after our trip in 9 days!!!!!, but here's one from the designers page. The pic is huge, so here's the link to it on my pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pin/273875221060187208/
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #2426
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I ran the hotcake hustle. It wasn't pretty, but I had a time to submit.

http://www.runproject.org/.
I did finally find one in east Plano. There's a big park area and the 5k and 10k were around that area. It's mid-November each year, and the weather was absolutely perfect. It was chilly as we were waiting to start the race, but then once we got going, I was perfectly fine. Not to mention the scenery was gorgeous because all the leaves were turning different colors.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
Old 09-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #2427
jodipaige2004
Mouseketeer

Speaking of running in race day attire, I am running in my tutu this weekend in the Run for the Cure! Our whole team is wearing tutus so this was a great opportunity to test drive my Princess tutu. I went out for a 5K last night and wore it to see how it felt...got a lot of weird looks! Oh well, I am a princess running for the cure!!!

Side note - I always run with an iFitness belt and it kept riding up because it was above the tutu whereas I normally wear it lower - anyone else run in a tutu with a race belt? How did you make it work? It was ok, but a little annoying to keep adjusting for 5K...not sure what I think about that for 21K! May need to switch to my sparkle skirt although the tutu is so adorable!

Jodi

www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
Old 09-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #2428
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
I'll have more after our trip in 9 days!!!!!, but here's one from the designers page. The pic is huge, so here's the link to it on my pinterest: http://pinterest.com/pin/273875221060187208/
That is REALLY cool! Awesome!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #2429
the_princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
True! Any minor annoyance that you think you can ignore for a mile or two is for sure gonna be a major problem that you can't ignore at mile 12 and 13. Probably the most important thing to think about when deciding on a tutu would be to make sure the tutu is shorter than the shorts you plan to wear underneath (or just wear running capris) and be sure it's not so poofy that it will touch your arms while running. So, no tulle touching skin anywhere! That would get really uncomfortable really fast!
No tulle touching skin... Got it!!! That's a good tip and tips like that, I'm looking for. It won't be my first half, but my first run in a costume, so I'm not worried about my running wear, only the costume part.

MY DISNEY PICTURES
:
Holiday time at DL Tour Dec'13: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3210059

WDW & WWOHP Dec '11: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#26.0

WDW & SW Feb '13: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#30.0

MY DISNEY STAYS:
July '03-DLP Dec '03-DLP NPBC Sep '04-DLP SL Sep '05-DLP HNY Mar '07-WDW Offside (Comfort Inn) Dec '07-DLP SF Feb '08-DLP SL Oct '08-WDW Renaissance Resort SeaWorld, AKL & POR May '09-DLP SL Dec '09-DLP HNY July '10-DLR DLH Feb '11-DLP DLH Dec'11-WDW POR August'12-DLP.Jan'13-DLP Chyenne Feb'13-WDW PORDec'13-DL Offsite
Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #2430
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
I tried several different belt style pouches and none worked for me (though I will give a HUGE kudos to the iFitness folks, they were WAY above and beyond working with me trying to get a belt that worked for me, sending me a couple of different styles and asking for me to take pics and send them to them for analysis) I'm 5'1" and apparently my leg joint at my hip just doesn't allow for enough space for the things to stay low at the hips on me - they all ride right up to my waist and frustrate me and cause chafing.

Anyway, what DOES work for me is the Amphipod clip on pouches. I have the Lock On Micropack Smartview for my Android phone. I have to ensure that any running shorts or pants have a drawstring that I can tie tight, but once I do that I'm all set I wear my phone at the center of my back and then use a bluetooth headset. It fits my ID and a few bucks as well.

For water I use the Nathan Sprint, and recently got a Sprint Plus with the zip up pouch, which allows me to stash my energy gummies in there instead of jamming them in my waistband or under my bra strap at my shoulder. I love it!
Oh, man, looking at this stuff made me feel so old. My last marathon was 11 yrs ago and the technology has changed in a decade! Thanks for the tips. My old stuff looks very clunky now
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: