Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #2296
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
We really enjoyed our kid-free trip. We sat by the pool, got massages, hung out at DTD. Even the parks were a different experience. We could use the bathroom in about 30 seconds!

You will have a great time!

Sounds amazing!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #2297
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
It was HOT! (I am from MN, so once it gets over 80 I start to wilt)
I had to jump in, as I did the EEC with my son last year, too... I'm Floridian and I thought it was HOT, too! Not as hot as it's been all summer, but hanging out on that asphalt for a couple hours was rough.

Quote:
It was a very crowded run. Felt like you were always either in someone's way, or trying to get past someone, but people were always pleasant.
Yep, my experience, too. Did you get the follow-up survey from runDisney? Most of the questions pertained to the crowd conditions, so I think they'd already heard a lot of complaints before sending out the survey.

Quote:
We are definitely doing it again this year.
We'll be there again, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
I'm wearing this and wings to be Tink:

That looks cute AND comfy!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #2298
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

About the EEC, I did that last year, too - my first Disney race. Boy, was I nervous but I ended up having a lot of fun. Won't be able to do it this year but, because of this experience, I am definitely planning to do more Disney races in the future.

Here's a thread about the EEC 2012 with very helpful information:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rest+challenge

The last few pages include mini-race reports as well. Hope this helps!

Also, I wanted to add to all of these Princesses...I am so honored to be a part of this group of racers. The struggles many of you have overcome [and are still trying to overcome] to do this make my small issues seem that much smaller. I am awed at your tenacity and resolve and am inspired to be that much more determined to train and to finish well. And, even if I don't finish the way I would wish, I have still made steps to improve my life for the better that I hope will last the rest of my life.

Thank you, Princesses! [and some of you Princes, too!]
Old 09-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #2299
Lauraldawn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
So true!!!

So did you get a raise shortly thereafter?
Ha ha. No raise. I'm glad I didn't get fired
Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #2300
saysay
DIS Veteran

How to Wear Tink Wings for No chafe fit

Here is a link from Team Sparkle that I used on my running buddy Amy last year. It worked, she felt nothing and no chaffing. Tinkeramy said no issues and she never felt the wings.

Thanks Team Sparkle for all the great ideas!

http://www.according-to-kelly.com/20...while-running/

OH and if anyone is looking for a generic costume starter, Target has these "Tutu Dresses" for $20. Basically its a spaghetti strap top that is a stretchy poly fabric, so seems like it would be great for exercise, with a tulle tutu on the skirt. Available in Pink, Purple, Green and Light/Med Blue. One size fits most.

Disneyland - 2009 Sheraton, 2010 Candy Cane Inn, 2012 Grand Californian
WDW - 2010, 2011, 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011, 2012 The Swan, 2012 POFQ, 2013 POR, Sheraton Vistana
Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #2301
sau418
Mouseketeer

Question: how do I avoid over training? I am upping my mileage by 1/2 mile each week and am up to 8 miles for my long runs. When I started training six weeks ago I was at a 15 min mile, I am up to 13 min mile, and will continue to work on pace. I guess my question is what else should I be concerned with, I am afraid to back off on long runs, but know that I will be at 13 by Thanksgiving with way too much time before the half. Given the uncertain weather for January and February, here in the Northeast, outdoor runs may become an issue. OR, am I stressing over nothing?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #2302
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sau418 View Post
Question: how do I avoid over training? I am upping my mileage by 1/2 mile each week and am up to 8 miles for my long runs. When I started training six weeks ago I was at a 15 min mile, I am up to 13 min mile, and will continue to work on pace. I guess my question is what else should I be concerned with, I am afraid to back off on long runs, but know that I will be at 13 by Thanksgiving with way too much time before the half. Given the uncertain weather for January and February, here in the Northeast, outdoor runs may become an issue. OR, am I stressing over nothing?
Yeah, I think you're ramping it up too early...but WTG on the 8 milers! For me, I'd stick around 6-7-8 milers on the weekends for the next couple of months. Just to stay in that longer run mentality, but not over do it. For the last few years I've been running 2 or 3 halves a year and when I have some time between races I throttle back and try to do a 6-8 mile longer run on the weekends just to mentally have something longer than a 5 under my belt. In my head an 8 is nearly 10, which is nearly a half...so it isn't too hard to ramp back up when a half is on the horizon, but it isn't so taxing that you burn out.

And as for the weather...there's really no such thing as bad weather, just improper dressing. I actually prefer cold weather running...my favorite days are ahead! Layering is key, with wicking fabrics, especially for your base layer. I'll go out in the 20's and even high teens and quite honestly I've never come back from a run and said that I was too cold. I just heat up like a sweat ball...the biggest thing is to control chilling afterward or have an extra layer and/or a plan for shelter or a ride if you have to stop. Gloves and ear protection are the big things for me. I have Raynaud's Phenomon which affects the blood flow in my hands, so while I feel like my hands are not cold I have to keep them covered and toasty anyway. Good running gloves are nice (and most have a little terry cloth thumb section for runny noses...eww! but so nice and useful! - I have a few pair so I was them with the rest of my stuff after every run), but even dollar store gloves are good - or even socks! Some of my hard core runner friends still just use an extra pair of socks or lightweight cotton work gloves. Experiment with hats and headbands - for me I wear a hat only in the coldest of temps, otherwise I overheat. A nice long pair of tights and multiple layers on top and you're good to go. I do have some gripper spikes that go over my shoes that I used a couple of years ago training for the Princess, it was a wicked snowy winter and I loathe the treadmill. Last year I didn't pull them out at all during the winter since it was way less snowy and icy. We'll see what this winter has in store!

ETA: I almost forgot the most important part of outdoor winter running - visibility! Days are shorter, so if you go out at dawn or dusk, please please please at the very least go and buy a $5 safety reflective vest at Home Depot or Lowes. And be sure to run against traffic so you can be seen and you can see and react if need be. Also know that red reads as black in low light, so that red hooded sweatshirt doesn't help oncoming motorists see you any better than a navy or black one would. And if you run mid day and it is snowy out, don't wear white, light gray, light blue, silver, etc. Bright contrasting colors that stand out from the icky snowbanks and light blue sky are best. Remember that there are no leaves on the trees to shade the sun, so motorists can be blinded easily.
1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!

Last edited by KristinU; 09-20-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #2303
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
I had to jump in, as I did the EEC with my son last year, too... I'm Floridian and I thought it was HOT, too! Not as hot as it's been all summer, but hanging out on that asphalt for a couple hours was rough.
That makes me feel better. I always feel like I'm such a wimp. But I can run outside in below zero weather with no problem. You just have to learn to ignore when your eyelashes freeze together. (I also hate treadmills!)

I did do the follow-up survey. It will be interesting to see how they change things (if at all).

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #2304
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm wearing this and wings to be Tink:

It has built-in shorts. I need to figure out shoes. I normally wear pink/orange Vibram Bikilas but might try to find something green. Not sure how bright pink and orange would detract from the look. But I also hate to stray from the shoes I love.
Love it! Very cute. Last year I used some green felt, cut out a hole for my foot and safety-pinned them to my shoes after I sewed on big white pom-poms. Sounds tacky, but it looked okay and stayed on the whole way! If I had any idea how to post pics here, I would. Otherwise, pic is here...http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com...hollywood.html at the very bottom of the page. The next post about race day might show them while I am in them.

Quote:
We really enjoyed our kid-free trip. We sat by the pool, got massages, hung out at DTD. Even the parks were a different experience. We could use the bathroom in about 30 seconds!

You will have a great time!
I am dying to take my DS4, but there is absolutely nothing like going to the World sans kids. Girls weekend was AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysay View Post
Here is a link from Team Sparkle that I used on my running buddy Amy last year. It worked, she felt nothing and no chaffing. Tinkeramy said no issues and she never felt the wings.

Thanks Team Sparkle for all the great ideas!

http://www.according-to-kelly.com/20...while-running/

OH and if anyone is looking for a generic costume starter, Target has these "Tutu Dresses" for $20. Basically its a spaghetti strap top that is a stretchy poly fabric, so seems like it would be great for exercise, with a tulle tutu on the skirt. Available in Pink, Purple, Green and Light/Med Blue. One size fits most.
Julie- saw these at Target tonight and the blue one TOTALLY lends itself to "provincial" Belle. However, I am just not sure how I would satisfy my pocket needs. You know how I am. Still considering it, though!

I REALLY REALLY REALLY need this trip. And super excited that the new Fantasyland will be open, giving us a fresh experience.

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #2305
saysay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Love it! Very cute. Last year I used some green felt, cut out a hole for my foot and safety-pinned them to my shoes after I sewed on big white pom-poms. Sounds tacky, but it looked okay and stayed on the whole way! If I had any idea how to post pics here, I would. Otherwise, pic is here...http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com...hollywood.html at the very bottom of the page. The next post about race day might show them while I am in them.

Julie- saw these at Target tonight and the blue one TOTALLY lends itself to "provincial" Belle. However, I am just not sure how I would satisfy my pocket needs. You know how I am. Still considering it, though!

I REALLY REALLY REALLY need this trip. And super excited that the new Fantasyland will be open, giving us a fresh experience.
What Amy did NOT tell you, she wore her pom pom felt tink running shoes in the parks Sunday AFTER the race, the kids LOVED them!

AMY, GET THE BLUE NOW!!!!!!! Before its gone. You can always return. As for pockets.....you can take care of that in your shorts! I do have a spibelt too, though i know you don't like those.

WDW - 2010, 2011, 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011, 2012 The Swan, 2012 POFQ, 2013 POR, Sheraton Vistana
Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #2306
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
They look great!!! I have a few questions. 1) How did you put them on once they were already pinned? 2) Do you think that would work on my 5Finger shoes since there's not much material to them and no socks to cushion the pin from digging in to my foot at mile 9? 3) Could you feel them hitting against your foot or was it pretty unnoticeable?

I love that idea because then I can wear the shoes I like but make them thematic -- best of both worlds!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #2307
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysay View Post
What Amy did NOT tell you, she wore her pom pom felt tink running shoes in the parks Sunday AFTER the race, the kids LOVED them!

I love it!!!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #2308
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They look great!!! I have a few questions. 1) How did you put them on once they were already pinned? 2) Do you think that would work on my 5Finger shoes since there's not much material to them and no socks to cushion the pin from digging in to my foot at mile 9? 3) Could you feel them hitting against your foot or was it pretty unnoticeable?

I love that idea because then I can wear the shoes I like but make them thematic -- best of both worlds!
Thanks! Nothing like waiting 'til the last minute. I brought the felt and pom-poms with me and was cutting and stitching the night before the race. I got my foot in okay b/c the felt had a certain amount of "give" to it and I could slide my foot in. I didn't feel the pins, but I would be concerned about the 5 fingers - not sure how that would work out, unless instead of pins you used some kind of liquid stitching to just connect them on the outside, provided you could get it off easily later. You could also experiment with fabrics other than felt. I just used it so it would be durable.

Quote:
I love it!!!!!
What JULIE didn't tell you was that I couldn't get the $%&* pins out of the shoe, so, yes, I wore the Tinkershoes to the parks later. They remained on my shoes at home and I finally forced myself to sit and work them out before my next long run!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 09-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #2309
saysay
DIS Veteran

LE CELLIER taking reservations!

Now here this, Le Cellier is not taking reservations for Sunday of race. Unable to book before today. SO excited, steak lunch here we come.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #2310
sau418
Mouseketeer

Yay! Finally got Le Cellier for Monday!!! Took them long enough to enter into the system!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: