Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #2266
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
I've been on the thread for a few months and have read a lot about corral placement. Figure I will be towards the back anyway so for those who are trying to be in an earlier group is it to finish with a faster time or something else ? Not ever done a race before ( my first 5k is in oct ) so have many questions on where to be in a race. Love reading everyone's responses !
For me, the main thing is not being trampled by those who are faster than me or getting stuck behind those who are walking. I did a charity 5K last week and there were no waves (for something like 2600 runners) and it was tough moving without either going faster than I wanted to in order to break out of the crowd so I had some space. By the time you have space, you're more exhausted because you increased your "comfort pace" just to break out of the crowd.

For me, I just kind of hope to be placed in the middle somewhere so I am not the tramplee or the trampler.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #2267
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Earlier this year I ran the Tinker Bell 1/2 with wings. They are the ones you can get at the parks and they light up. Very cute but like you I was ALSO very concerned about trying them out before the 1/2 marathon. No way was I going to run at the track with "wings". I did need to adjust the elastic arm band and make it looser but once that was done I had no problem. What I also did was wear the wings around the house to really get a feel for them. I honestly did not have any problem running with them. Again, they were not the ones from team sparkle but I've seen a lot of wings being worn when running.
P.S. I'll be wearing my wings again for next years Tink 1/2. And I like to think they make me run/fly faster.

Thanks!! That helps and I think I'll wear mine around the house too just to see. And I agree, they definitely make you faster!!! I can't wait to try them out (just not in my neighborhood -- LOL!)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #2268
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraldawn View Post
Can I just say that in the nicest way, I am dying laughing right now?? I realized I just read through this entire post thinking "good question" and then realized that I can't think of anywhere else you could ask in all seriousness for advice on running in wings. That's why I love this board

So true!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraldawn View Post
And, I have to agree. I ran a 5k last year in costume. It was a retro costume, and it was awesome ... but the shorts were a non-breathing polyester (super short) and underneath I had a pair of bright nylon yellow capri short things. The nylon shorts kept riding up and the polyester shorts kept falling down. And I was right on pace with our CEO which meant that he basically watched my entire wardrobe malfunction for half an hour.
So did you get a raise shortly thereafter?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #2269
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseBoundnKY View Post
Coming out of lurk-dom. Lol

I'm 37 yo, mom of 2. I've always wanted to run but never convinced myself that I could until now.

I've been working out for about two months. I'm def still considerably over weight but I've been doing walk/ run events the past few weekends.

I really want to sign up but part of me is terrified. I'm scared I won't get my time under the 16 before then, I'm scared of injury and mostly I'm scared of being swept.

Today I went to work and received a bonus out of nowhere. Not alot but enough to cover the entry fee and then some.

So now I have no excuses but my own. I went to the dr today and he cleared me to train. I know I'm very comfortable after working out an hour and could go again. Ugh idk. Advice on taking the plunge anyone?

Thanks! Karen
I agree with a prev. poster - JUST DO IT! Before my first Princess (with NO running experience at all) I just plunked down the cash and jumped in - it seriously made it a do or die situation for me since I knew that DH would be pretty peeved if I blew all that cash and I knew I would be disappointed in myself. I told everyone I knew that I was doing this so I would be held accountable. You can do this!!!! Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
Hi fellow princesses! This will be my first half marathon and my second Disney race (I did the Expedition Everest Challenge with a friend last spring). I am so excited to find this thread.

I was so psyched to see the costume ideas here too. I wasn't sure wearing a villain costume to a princess race was ok. Will everyone be in a costume? Is it uncomfortable to run that far in one?

I am looking forward to reading more as the weeks go on.
Welcome! I ran in a quasi-costume the last 2 years - a tutu-like thing over a running skirt the first year, and last year same thing but threw in a pair of wings. It was fun! There is enough of a mix of costume / non-costume runners so that you don't really feel self-conscious either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry's mom&dad View Post
I ran my first 10K race yesterday. It was about 1000 people. Largest race I have been in. It was a blast.
My time was 1:21. Very, Very happy with that.

For all the newbies I started run/walk/run this past March. If I can do this, at age 51, never very athletic, I have MS, then anybody can. Next goal will be a half. and I use to think 3 miles was impossible
Congrats! I LOVE this story! With your attitude, there's no doubt that you will hit all your goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsjodi View Post
I'm coming out of lurkdom too.

The Princess will be my first half as well. I started my "get healthy and lose weight" journey back in January 2011 and have lost 100 pounds since then. I'm about 15-20 pounds from my goal weight. Back when I started my journey, running a half marathon wasn't really a goal of mine, but as I started running, I realized that I could totally do this!

I've done quite a few 5K races (PR=32:05) and did my first 10K last Saturday (1:06:38). I'm not sure where that will land me in terms of corrals, but I'll be happy not being in the last one.

I'm all registered for the race and the race retreat. I've got my flight booked and my room reserved at BWV. Going to start the Galloway plan at the end of October. Now all I can do is wait and read along....
Love all the inspiring stories! I had a similar time for my first 10K and it put me in corral B for Princess 2011, so you are doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
On this note...

I am planning to runt he Princess dressed as Tink and have an adorable dress that is actually a dance costume so it's very movable and breathable. But the wings are my only concern since I have never run int hem before. I got them from Team Sparkle and I know people do it all the time but I don't want to be the one on race day discarding parts of my costume. I also don't really want to run through my neighborhood in wings if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have tips for running in wings? I saw the Tam Sparkle tip on how to wear them, but for anyone who has done a longer run in wings, what was your experience in terms of how they affect you?
I did the wings last year with no problems. My running buddy found a link for me on how to put them on so that they don't chafe - maybe I can find it again. The gist was that instead of putting your arms through the elastic that comes with the wings, you tuck the elastic in the neck, down your back and kind of loop them around your running bra. I can't give you a much better description than that - Julie did this for me while walking to the corrals in the dark -it's a miracle she didn't stab me with the safety pins! But once we got started, I didn't notice them in the least. I got the kid-size ones from the Disney store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
Folks who have run the Princess before: can we talk about post-race?

When I ran it in 2011 we were leaving for home right after the race, I got my medal and my water and banana and headed straight to the car (I had driven over from Fort Wilderness.)

For 2013 I'm flying down and meeting a friend for a girls weekend to run it together. We'll be taking ME and taking the bus from AKL to and from the race.

So my first question: do you take the normal resort busses back to your resort? or are they race busses? If they're special, what kind of schedule do they have?

Second question: what is the finish line area like post-race? We're running "together" but not together-together since we run at different paces. So we won't be finishing at the same time. Is there some fun post-race action going on where someone can hang out solo for a little while? We'll likely be about an hour apart...how easy is it to get a decent view of the finish line without paying for seats in the bleachers? (there were bleachers at the finish line, right??? Why can't I remember the end of this race??? I think I was obsessing about my time and not enjoying my surroundings )
Other people have answered about buses, and I'm just not sure about the view of the finish line, but last year there was the food to snack on, the drinks tent and they also had some princesses out for photo ops as well.

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #2270
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For me, the main thing is not being trampled by those who are faster than me or getting stuck behind those who are walking. I did a charity 5K last week and there were no waves (for something like 2600 runners) and it was tough moving without either going faster than I wanted to in order to break out of the crowd so I had some space. By the time you have space, you're more exhausted because you increased your "comfort pace" just to break out of the crowd.

For me, I just kind of hope to be placed in the middle somewhere so I am not the tramplee or the trampler.
Yeah, this...and on the starting out in a too slow area, not only the increase in pace to break out being exhausting, but also the weaving in and out of folks can add a lot of undue distance to your run. And on the other side, running is such a mental game so starting in a spot that is too fast can be so discouraging to see everyone passing you - it gets in your head! Also, it can encourage you to start out way too fast and over exert then fizzle out. It is really nice to have corralled starts so everyone can be in their own sweet spots with similarly paced runners. Plus, you get the wave starts and everyone gets to see the fireworks!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend! 2014 OKW for our 20th Anniversary and Wine & Dine Half Marathon
Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #2271
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So did you get a raise shortly thereafter?

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend! 2014 OKW for our 20th Anniversary and Wine & Dine Half Marathon
Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #2272
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Oh no. What did I just do? I'm nuts.
AKA
It's official. I just signed up for the Princess 1/2.

[/img]
Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #2273
ncsjodi
GO COLTS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative View Post
Oh no. What did I just do? I'm nuts.
AKA
It's official. I just signed up for the Princess 1/2.
YAY!!!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #2274
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsjodi View Post
YAY!!!!!
Thanks

Question for everyone and I'm sorry if it's already been asked-- Does RunDisney sell Princess 1/2 merch on the disneystore.com site and if so, when does it come out on the site?

[/img]
Old 09-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #2275
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative View Post
Thanks

Question for everyone and I'm sorry if it's already been asked-- Does RunDisney sell Princess 1/2 merch on the disneystore.com site and if so, when does it come out on the site?
I believe 2010 was the last year they offered any kind of "In Training" merch for the Princess 1/2 specifically on the Disney Store site...because 2011 was my first, and I was sorely disappointed to not be able to buy a "Princess in Training" shirt like I had seen the year before when I was too scared to make the commitment and sign up. I'm not sure why they stopped? I think you can get "generic" runDisney merchandise on the site any time though...I haven't looked in a while, but I know I saw it at one time.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #2276
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I believe 2010 was the last year they offered any kind of "In Training" merch for the Princess 1/2 specifically on the Disney Store site...because 2011 was my first, and I was sorely disappointed to not be able to buy a "Princess in Training" shirt like I had seen the year before when I was too scared to make the commitment and sign up. I'm not sure why they stopped? I think you can get "generic" runDisney merchandise on the site any time though...I haven't looked in a while, but I know I saw it at one time.
Thanks. You can but I was wanting a Princess In Training shirt. My niece is 5 and I know she'd get a kick out of seeing me in it. I hope they bring it back!!

[/img]
Old 09-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #2277
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Question about arrival day

We are getting in at 2pm on Friday. We have ME all set up. But, I'd like to go to the Expo on Friday so we can do parks on Saturday. Can we just let our bags go through ME without actually riding the bus and instead take a cab from the airport to WWoS?
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #2278
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Nope. I believe you have to be checked in on ME for the bags to be transported for security reasons.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #2279
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Nope. I believe you have to be checked in on ME for the bags to be transported for security reasons.
Thanks!
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
Old 09-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #2280
DisneyBoyz
Mouseketeer

Host Resorts

After searching websites high and low, I finally discovered the list of the Host Resorts for the 2013 PHM. It appears as though ALL the WDW Resorts are Host Resorts this year! I am behind the eight ball, as normally I would have had all my hotel and ADR made already. It's looking like OKW for my family!

I'm a new Runner!

Now is the time. Now is the best time. Be it a time of joy or strife!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: