Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #2251
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsjodi View Post
I'm coming out of lurkdom too.
I'm coming out of temporary lurkdom to say how glad I am to see you over here! You've been such an inspiration. You are going to ROCK this race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY
Even something as benign as a camera case should be pre-tested... I thought it would be easy-peasy to stick my itty-bitty case on my running belt, but gave it a try at home the other day - nope. Itty-bitty though it may be, it bounced all over the place and would have been tossed by Mile 1 in a race. Glad I know ahead of time!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #2252
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

Karen...#1 WELCOME! #2..JUST DO IT! Register TODAY...by doing so you make that commitment to yourself. You tell yourself you are worth the time, energy and $ to reach your goal - thats a very positive and powerful message to hear everyday! Not to mention the many lessons you will be teaching your children by example. So register TODAY and enjoy the magical journey to your Princess Half Mararhon MEDAL! This will be my 2nd PHM and last time I worried sooo much about my time and being "swept"...its really wasted energy...my time was 3:22:33 and I walked the entire way...and there were tons of ppl behind me that got medals...stop worrying! This year my thing is...enjoying the journey-its not about making a time, for me its about making a memory...good luck!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #2253
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseBoundnKY View Post
Coming out of lurk-dom. Lol

I'm 37 yo, mom of 2. I've always wanted to run but never convinced myself that I could until now.

I've been working out for about two months. I'm def still considerably over weight but I've been doing walk/ run events the past few weekends.

I really want to sign up but part of me is terrified. I'm scared I won't get my time under the 16 before then, I'm scared of injury and mostly I'm scared of being swept.

Today I went to work and received a bonus out of nowhere. Not alot but enough to cover the entry fee and then some.

So now I have no excuses but my own. I went to the dr today and he cleared me to train. I know I'm very comfortable after working out an hour and could go again. Ugh idk. Advice on taking the plunge anyone?

Thanks! Karen
Karen, this will be my first race EVER at the age of 45 and I will be doing a mixture of running & walking. I started training in May and now am up to 6.5 and holding between 13:30 and 14 per mile (depends on how bad the humidity is in TX!). You can do this...many on the thread are posting great times of 10-12 min per mile but there are PLENTY of us who will be in the 3hr plus finish time so DON'T get discouraged. As one other princess answered, even those who post a time of 3:29 will get a medal. See you at the PHM !
Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #2254
Gryhndmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry's mom&dad View Post
I ran my first 10K race yesterday. It was about 1000 people. Largest race I have been in. It was a blast.
My time was 1:21. Very, Very happy with that.

Here is my comments about my first race:
I ran alone, but met lots of nice women along the way.
It was fun to see the creative costumes people wore.
I paced with a Jeff Galloway group most of the way.
Going down hill was harder on me than going up hill

After the race I tried to drive the course to show it to my husband. I could not remember the course. . Note to self next race pay better attention to my surroundings not just the 20 feet in front of me.

For all the newbies I started run/walk/run this past March. If I can do this, at age 51, never very athletic, I have MS, then anybody can. Next goal will be a half. and I use to think 3 miles was impossible
You are an inspiration ! I am pacing around your time & am sooo proud of my times so far. Registered for my first 5k at sea world san Antonio for 6 Oct. we can do this !
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #2255
Gryhndmom

Corral placement

I've been on the thread for a few months and have read a lot about corral placement. Figure I will be towards the back anyway so for those who are trying to be in an earlier group is it to finish with a faster time or something else ? Not ever done a race before ( my first 5k is in oct ) so have many questions on where to be in a race. Love reading everyone's responses !
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #2256
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
On this note...

I am planning to runt he Princess dressed as Tink and have an adorable dress that is actually a dance costume so it's very movable and breathable. But the wings are my only concern since I have never run int hem before. I got them from Team Sparkle and I know people do it all the time but I don't want to be the one on race day discarding parts of my costume. I also don't really want to run through my neighborhood in wings if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have tips for running in wings? I saw the Tam Sparkle tip on how to wear them, but for anyone who has done a longer run in wings, what was your experience in terms of how they affect you?

Earlier this year I ran the Tinker Bell 1/2 with wings. They are the ones you can get at the parks and they light up. Very cute but like you I was ALSO very concerned about trying them out before the 1/2 marathon. No way was I going to run at the track with "wings". I did need to adjust the elastic arm band and make it looser but once that was done I had no problem. What I also did was wear the wings around the house to really get a feel for them. I honestly did not have any problem running with them. Again, they were not the ones from team sparkle but I've seen a lot of wings being worn when running.
P.S. I'll be wearing my wings again for next years Tink 1/2. And I like to think they make me run/fly faster.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #2257
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

Hey Everyone, I haven't been posting much because my life has just gotten hectic. I have strayed a little bit from my training program but tonights the night we're getting back on track! I'm really excited to start my Galloway plan again! I feel like I've been slacking and my body knows it, so I'm just going to start slow again and really start getting into it!

Good luck Princesses!

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #2258
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Folks who have run the Princess before: can we talk about post-race?

When I ran it in 2011 we were leaving for home right after the race, I got my medal and my water and banana and headed straight to the car (I had driven over from Fort Wilderness.)

For 2013 I'm flying down and meeting a friend for a girls weekend to run it together. We'll be taking ME and taking the bus from AKL to and from the race.

So my first question: do you take the normal resort busses back to your resort? or are they race busses? If they're special, what kind of schedule do they have?

Second question: what is the finish line area like post-race? We're running "together" but not together-together since we run at different paces. So we won't be finishing at the same time. Is there some fun post-race action going on where someone can hang out solo for a little while? We'll likely be about an hour apart...how easy is it to get a decent view of the finish line without paying for seats in the bleachers? (there were bleachers at the finish line, right??? Why can't I remember the end of this race??? I think I was obsessing about my time and not enjoying my surroundings )

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #2259
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
Folks who have run the Princess before: can we talk about post-race?

When I ran it in 2011 we were leaving for home right after the race, I got my medal and my water and banana and headed straight to the car (I had driven over from Fort Wilderness.)

For 2013 I'm flying down and meeting a friend for a girls weekend to run it together. We'll be taking ME and taking the bus from AKL to and from the race.

So my first question: do you take the normal resort busses back to your resort? or are they race busses? If they're special, what kind of schedule do they have?

Second question: what is the finish line area like post-race? We're running "together" but not together-together since we run at different paces. So we won't be finishing at the same time. Is there some fun post-race action going on where someone can hang out solo for a little while? We'll likely be about an hour apart...how easy is it to get a decent view of the finish line without paying for seats in the bleachers? (there were bleachers at the finish line, right??? Why can't I remember the end of this race??? I think I was obsessing about my time and not enjoying my surroundings )

I ran in 2011 too The busses back to the resorts were large charter busses, just like what will take you to the start area...not regular Disney transportation busses. From what I can remember, they were lined up by resort and leaving as soon as they filled. The lines were pretty long, but each resort seemed to have more than one bus lined up there waiting, at least when I walked up. We did not have to wait more than a few minutes to board the bus that year.

There is an awards ceremony in the post race area...closer to the race they will probably post what time this will happen in one of the emails outlining the weekend festivities. There is also a small merchandise tent, a medal engraving tent (line can get long for this!) and a massage tent...you should be able to fill an hour with all that...don't forget to take some time to wind down, have a seat and do some stretching too. I think it may be hard to find a spot at the finish line, but it's worth a shot if you have time!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #2260
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

There are special race buses. They run when they are full- at least that was my experience. One year I got on ASSp and last year it was POR. Both had lines, so when a bus filled up, it left, and a new one pulled in. Seemed to go pretty quickly- I don't think I waited more than 10 min in each line.

After the race there is food, massage tents, pictures, music... lots of things to do while waiting for your friend.

No idea on getting to see the finish line, as I am always *the friend* everyone is waiting on. LOL!!!!! But they wait and haven't complained in 2 years, so I am pretty sure they are able to keep themselves occupied. I have wonderful Mother Runner friends!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #2261
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I ran in 2011 too
Yes! I remember you from the thread back then as well! Wow, you've done a lot of Disney races looking at your siggy - Rock on!

And thanks both of you for the post-race info, I figured it must be fun to hang around for a while afterwards...it is Disney after all! I've done a couple of the Rock n' Roll events and they're way fun afterwards with bands and stuff. But I've also done a couple of races that are kind of "finish and go"...so I just wanted to manage expectations

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #2262
Lauraldawn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
On this note...

I did a little 5K on 4th of July and thought I'd be cute and wore red, white ad blue beads (you know the Mardi Gras kind?) I had 6 strands. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal but by the 2nd mile they were really bugging me banging up and down and pulling on my neck.

I am planning to runt he Princess dressed as Tink and have an adorable dress that is actually a dance costume so it's very movable and breathable. But the wings are my only concern since I have never run int hem before. I got them from Team Sparkle and I know people do it all the time but I don't want to be the one on race day discarding parts of my costume. I also don't really want to run through my neighborhood in wings if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have tips for running in wings? I saw the Tam Sparkle tip on how to wear them, but for anyone who has done a longer run in wings, what was your experience in terms of how they affect you?
Can I just say that in the nicest way, I am dying laughing right now?? I realized I just read through this entire post thinking "good question" and then realized that I can't think of anywhere else you could ask in all seriousness for advice on running in wings. That's why I love this board

And, I have to agree. I ran a 5k last year in costume. It was a retro costume, and it was awesome ... but the shorts were a non-breathing polyester (super short) and underneath I had a pair of bright nylon yellow capri short things. The nylon shorts kept riding up and the polyester shorts kept falling down. And I was right on pace with our CEO which meant that he basically watched my entire wardrobe malfunction for half an hour.

Never again.

Sadly, I have no wing advice, but I've run in a tutu ...
Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #2263
ncsjodi
GO COLTS!!!!

I don't know about running in costume. At this point, I think the best I'll get is one of those pretty sparkly skirts over my compression capris and a matching tank. Maybe a BondiBand with a tiara printed on it?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #2264
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraldawn View Post
Can I just say that in the nicest way, I am dying laughing right now?? I realized I just read through this entire post thinking "good question" and then realized that I can't think of anywhere else you could ask in all seriousness for advice on running in wings. That's why I love this board

Old 09-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #2265
cjnix29
DIS Veteran

I noticed on the rundisney site that there are specially priced theme park tickets. Can someone tell me about these? How do I find out cost, and how many I could purchase. Trying to come up with a budget for the trip!! Thanks!
2005 OKW, first trip with DS
2006 WL
2007 POLYNESIAN 2008 All Star Music
2009 Surprise birthday trip for DS offsite
2009 Holidays at the World , POFQ
2010 New countertops, or Disney?....,we chose the Contemporary, Club Level MK view and the Yacht Club!
Trip Report from the most awesome trip ever! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2565514
2012 BLT
8/25/12 First Cruise on the Fantasy to celebrate over 130 pounds lost!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: