Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #2236
Lauraldawn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHappyFunTimes View Post
Ugh I had a terrible long run today. I got up to 6.2 miles two weeks ago and felt fine after the first one. I doubled my running intervals last weekend (and did a 20 mile bike ride the day before) and felt ok on the run but kind of sick after. This weekend, I skipped the bike ride and dropped the running intervals back to 2/2 and just had a rough time.

1. My toddler had a rough night, up repeatedly crying and taking hours to settle again and wanting to nurse all night. Teething? Gas? Getting sick? Who knows??

2. Because of that, we slept in and I didn't start my run until blose to 10am. It was in the mid 80's, humid and very sunny.

3. It was my second run in new shoes and socks.

4. My run Friday with the jogging stroller was kind of hard and then I took DS to an indoor gym/play center that involved lots of climbing up ropes after him and holding him up on gym equipment.

5. I tried orange sports beans. Disgusting!!! Ugh, they almost made me puke. There is no way I could eat a whole bag of those.

So, I ran out of steam around mile 3, stopped for water and the gross beans, pushed myself to run/walk another mile or so and then just trudged the last mile home. I know I go too fast on my long runs, but feeling this wrung out is not usual for me. I don't know what caused it, maybe all of the above. I'm thinking of taking a week off, maybe I'm burned out? It just seems strange for the same distance to be getting harder each week. I hope everyone else is having better long runs this weekend.
Ugh.
When I have that problem I take a break. I'm still trying to get over feeling guilty when I take a break, but truthfully when I take that break I always come back stronger.
Last week I had a really rough long run, and it was a series of things also - too much going on, sore muscles, and my 4 year old had nightmares which not only woke me up but gave me nightmares!
My coach's advice - give myself a break. (I'm not sure she meant sleep in, eat crap and have pumpkin spice lattes, but it worked!)
Old 09-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #2237
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjnix29
I keep stalking this thread! I haven't registered yet, but keep watching how it is filling up too. I am running my first half marathon in about a month, and hoping my second will be the Princess Half. Hoping I can trade my timeshare into DVC, and keep thinking that if it comes up for the right week, it means I need to register! A year ago, I was 60 pounds heavier, and never in my LIFE did I ever think I would run a half marathon! But did 9 today, and think I just may make it to 13 in time for the Grand Rapids Half. Love seeing all the enthusiasm here, it's inspiring!!!
Congrats on the new you! And lol, I would be doing the same waiting for the sign to sign up. I don't know how the timeshare trade works...but sending pixie dust your way for it to fall into place
1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #2238
teacher31
DIS Veteran

I registered today! Ironically this morning's run was horrible. Hopefully Wednesday will be better. I can't wait til February!
June 2003 - POR, First trip: "We might come back once more before we die." June 2004 - POR: "Does it ever stop raining?"June 2005 - FW Cabins: "I wonder if the movers unpacked the house yet?"June 2006 - POR: "Are you going to wear that tiara all the time, Katherine?"June 2007 - POR: "Do we want to be the safari family of the day? YES!" Our dream!October 2008 - Dolphin: "Why do you want to go to Disney when you turn 40?"Thanksgiving 2008 - "Dolphin: I think I like summer better, don't you?"October 2009 - POR: "Who knew it could be so cold in October?" Freezing at MNSSHPMay 2010 - POR/Dolphin: "Why did we miss POR?" October 2010 - CS: "I think I like the dining plan. You?"
May 2011 - DOL: "How much are you going to eat, Owen?" October 2011: "I miss Katherine." May 2012: "Can we not do Universal again and go back to Disney?" You betcha.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #2239
MouserQ
Earning My Ears

Hey Princesses! Just checking in! I started this process as a total newbie with nothing but treadmill miles under my belt and within one month and some new shoes I'm now someone who thinks "I feel like going running!" I'm still slow, but I seem to get faster every time I'm out -- just keep imagining running through that castle!

I also thought this would be the perfect place to mention that I think Colonel Hathi's March from the Jungle Book is the absolute perfect warm up song. I've also been pretty inspired by One Jump Ahead from Aladdin. :

Got my first 5k in 3 weeks! Eek!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #2240
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouserQ View Post
Hey Princesses! Just checking in! I started this process as a total newbie with nothing but treadmill miles under my belt and within one month and some new shoes I'm now someone who thinks "I feel like going running!" I'm still slow, but I seem to get faster every time I'm out -- just keep imagining running through that castle!

I also thought this would be the perfect place to mention that I think Colonel Hathi's March from the Jungle Book is the absolute perfect warm up song. I've also been pretty inspired by One Jump Ahead from Aladdin. :

Got my first 5k in 3 weeks! Eek!
I also just love running to Disney songs and even music from the park.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #2241
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
I also just love running to Disney songs and even music from the park.
I'm not running in the princess (doing W&D this november though) but i wanted to chime in and say that I added "Remember the Magic" from the MK's 25th anniversary show/parade to my playlist this weekend and it was inspiring! Maybe it was all the "our park guests will take to the streets and join us as we celebrate" announcing but I could almost pretend I was running down Main Street....

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Old 09-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #2242
CruiseBoundnKY
DIS Veteran

Coming out of lurk-dom. Lol

I'm 37 yo, mom of 2. I've always wanted to run but never convinced myself that I could until now.

I've been working out for about two months. I'm def still considerably over weight but I've been doing walk/ run events the past few weekends.

I really want to sign up but part of me is terrified. I'm scared I won't get my time under the 16 before then, I'm scared of injury and mostly I'm scared of being swept.

Today I went to work and received a bonus out of nowhere. Not alot but enough to cover the entry fee and then some.

So now I have no excuses but my own. I went to the dr today and he cleared me to train. I know I'm very comfortable after working out an hour and could go again. Ugh idk. Advice on taking the plunge anyone?

Thanks! Karen
Pop Century March 31 - April 7, 2012 Disney Dream Nov. 27 - Dec. 2; AKV Dec. 2 - 5 Dec. 5 - 8, 2010 Pop Century Nov. 28, - Dec. 6, 2009 Pop Century October 25, 2008 Disney Magic "Halloween on the High Seas" Alternate Western Double Dip May 5-12 2007 Disney Magic "Cinco Dis Mayo" Western Cruise May 2-4 2007 Disney ASMo May 2005 7-Days Sheraton Vistana Resorts Summer 1996 5-Days Can't remember where we stayed
Old 09-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #2243
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

Joining in--I've registered and will be running my second half--first Disney race.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #2244
dmonroe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseBoundnKY View Post
Coming out of lurk-dom. Lol

I'm 37 yo, mom of 2. I've always wanted to run but never convinced myself that I could until now.

I've been working out for about two months. I'm def still considerably over weight but I've been doing walk/ run events the past few weekends.

I really want to sign up but part of me is terrified. I'm scared I won't get my time under the 16 before then, I'm scared of injury and mostly I'm scared of being swept.

Today I went to work and received a bonus out of nowhere. Not alot but enough to cover the entry fee and

So now I have no excuses but my own. I went to the dr today and he cleared me to train. I know I'm very comfortable after working out an hour and could go again. Ugh idk. Advice on taking the plunge anyone?

Thanks! Karen

Just do it! Seriously, for years I said I wanted to run this, but always found an excuse and put it off until the next year. This year when registration opened, I just filled out the form and submitted it. I did not give myself time to think about it or talk myself out of it.
You have time to train and get under the 16 minute mark. And even if you don't get there, so what? You trained, you tried and you will be a heck of a lot healthier than before! Go register now!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #2245
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Hi fellow princesses! This will be my first half marathon and my second Disney race (I did the Expedition Everest Challenge with a friend last spring). I am so excited to find this thread.

I have not read all 100+ pages yet, but am wondering about where and when to send my DM and DDs (6 and 9) as spectators. Not sure they want to get up as early as I plan to, but I know they will want to see me finish. Any advice? Should we splurge on the spectator package? It would be kind of a lot of $ for three people.

I was so psyched to see the costume ideas here too. I wasn't sure wearing a villain costume to a princess race was ok. Will everyone be in a costume? Is it uncomfortable to run that far in one?

I am looking forward to reading more as the weeks go on.

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #2246
Strawberry's mom&dad
DIS Veteran

You Go Girl 10k and Half Marathon Tacoma Wa

I ran my first 10K race yesterday. It was about 1000 people. Largest race I have been in. It was a blast.
My time was 1:21. Very, Very happy with that.

Here is my comments about my first race:
I ran alone, but met lots of nice women along the way.
It was fun to see the creative costumes people wore.
I paced with a Jeff Galloway group most of the way.
Going down hill was harder on me than going up hill

After the race I tried to drive the course to show it to my husband. I could not remember the course. . Note to self next race pay better attention to my surroundings not just the 20 feet in front of me.

For all the newbies I started run/walk/run this past March. If I can do this, at age 51, never very athletic, I have MS, then anybody can. Next goal will be a half. and I use to think 3 miles was impossible

Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #2247
ncsjodi
GO COLTS!!!!

I'm coming out of lurkdom too.

The Princess will be my first half as well. I started my "get healthy and lose weight" journey back in January 2011 and have lost 100 pounds since then. I'm about 15-20 pounds from my goal weight. Back when I started my journey, running a half marathon wasn't really a goal of mine, but as I started running, I realized that I could totally do this!

I've done quite a few 5K races (PR=32:05) and did my first 10K last Saturday (1:06:38). I'm not sure where that will land me in terms of corrals, but I'll be happy not being in the last one.

I'm all registered for the race and the race retreat. I've got my flight booked and my room reserved at BWV. Going to start the Galloway plan at the end of October. Now all I can do is wait and read along....

Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #2248
yulilin3
Disney Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
Hi fellow princesses! This will be my first half marathon and my second Disney race (I did the Expedition Everest Challenge with a friend last spring). I am so excited to find this thread.

I have not read all 100+ pages yet, but am wondering about where and when to send my DM and DDs (6 and 9) as spectators. Not sure they want to get up as early as I plan to, but I know they will want to see me finish. Any advice? Should we splurge on the spectator package? It would be kind of a lot of $ for three people.

I was so psyched to see the costume ideas here too. I wasn't sure wearing a villain costume to a princess race was ok. Will everyone be in a costume? Is it uncomfortable to run that far in one?

I am looking forward to reading more as the weeks go on.
I would love to hearr your report on the Expedition Everest Challenge, my DD11 and I will do it next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry's mom&dad View Post
I ran my first 10K race yesterday. It was about 1000 people. Largest race I have been in. It was a blast.
My time was 1:21. Very, Very happy with that.

Here is my comments about my first race:
I ran alone, but met lots of nice women along the way.
It was fun to see the creative costumes people wore.
I paced with a Jeff Galloway group most of the way.
Going down hill was harder on me than going up hill

After the race I tried to drive the course to show it to my husband. I could not remember the course. . Note to self next race pay better attention to my surroundings not just the 20 feet in front of me.

For all the newbies I started run/walk/run this past March. If I can do this, at age 51, never very athletic, I have MS, then anybody can. Next goal will be a half. and I use to think 3 miles was impossible
Same here, I also used to think a 5K was crazy talk and look at us now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsjodi View Post
I'm coming out of lurkdom too.

The Princess will be my first half as well. I started my "get healthy and lose weight" journey back in January 2011 and have lost 100 pounds since then. I'm about 15-20 pounds from my goal weight. Back when I started my journey, running a half marathon wasn't really a goal of mine, but as I started running, I realized that I could totally do this!

I've done quite a few 5K races (PR=32:05) and did my first 10K last Saturday (1:06:38). I'm not sure where that will land me in terms of corrals, but I'll be happy not being in the last one.

I'm all registered for the race and the race retreat. I've got my flight booked and my room reserved at BWV. Going to start the Galloway plan at the end of October. Now all I can do is wait and read along....
Wow!! Great story, the Princess Half will also be my first half and probably not my last, already looking into doing the Wine and Dine next year
Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #2249
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Sleepy View Post
Will everyone be in a costume? Is it uncomfortable to run that far in one?
Not everyone will be in a costume, so don't worry about feeling out of place if you don't wear one. I'm very much not a costume or tutu girl (I'm all about the comfort of tech fabrics), but I wanted to try to do something slightly princessy when I ran it in 2011...so I wasted a lot of time and energy (and $$$) worrying about trying to find a running skirt that was comfortable for me. In the end I just wore a pair of my regular old running shorts and comfortable tank like I always do...but I did pick up a bondiband with a sparkly crown on it that I wore, so I did have my small princessy thing on and my tank was kinda Cinderella blue

Whatever you choose to wear, be sure to run a long run in it before race day. I learned that lesson the hard way with a hydration belt for my first half...the forecast was warmer than average so I freaked out and went and bought it maybe 4 days before the race, ran a little 3 miler with it and thought it was fine...that thing was literally the worst part of my first half. Had I not coughed up almost $50 for it I would have chucked it to the side of the road long about mile 5 or 6 - it chafed my back in an awful way. So I definitely adhere to the NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY mantra now!
1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #2250
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinU View Post
NSo I definitely adhere to the NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY mantra now!

On this note...

I did a little 5K on 4th of July and thought I'd be cute and wore red, white ad blue beads (you know the Mardi Gras kind?) I had 6 strands. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal but by the 2nd mile they were really bugging me banging up and down and pulling on my neck.

I am planning to runt he Princess dressed as Tink and have an adorable dress that is actually a dance costume so it's very movable and breathable. But the wings are my only concern since I have never run int hem before. I got them from Team Sparkle and I know people do it all the time but I don't want to be the one on race day discarding parts of my costume. I also don't really want to run through my neighborhood in wings if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have tips for running in wings? I saw the Tam Sparkle tip on how to wear them, but for anyone who has done a longer run in wings, what was your experience in terms of how they affect you?

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: