Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #2116
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Magic Memories & You is ending...or maybe it already did? I don't remember the exact date, but I read about it last week and think I remember thinking to myself that the new one would be starting before our next trip on Sept. 28. It's being replaced by another show...same technology, with projections on the castle just a new name and theme...and most notably will not include guests' pictures. Would have been fun to watch for pics on race day though!

ETA: Found it...it's called "Celebrate the Magic"...debuts in November, but MM&Y ended Sept. 3.
Booo! I think the projections on the castle are awesome, but I really loved seeing the pictures too. Oh well, thanks for the info. And, man! I guess I need to catch up on what's going on at the parks... Seems like lots has changed since our trip 5 months ago.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #2117
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedPlayroom View Post
Mamasmurf227 - I have a question. How ok are your kids? My DD is 5 and her school is crazy strict about absences, so I toyed with the idea of going by myself. I don't know if I can do it though!! Any guilt free tips?
I'm going without my DDs, but my DH is staying home with them - my parents and my sister-in-law are joining me. I do feel guilty at times but my DH keeps reminding me that this is for me, that its my 40th bday present to myself. It helps that my girls are old enough to understand that we just can't afford for all of us to go when we had a big family WDW trip last fall and they know we're planning another one for 2014. All that being said, I also know there are going to be things in the park that I may feel too guilty to do without them - like eating at Be Our Guest (Belle is DD10's favourite princess).

That's my situation, as far as tips the only thing I can suggest - which I will be doing - is to plan to do things that you normally wouldn't do with DD, whether it is staying out later (except Sat night ) or having an extra glass of wine with dinner or riding attractions she's not interested in. Good luck with your decision
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #2118
Audilee821
Earning My Ears

Hey everybody! I'm new to the board (but an avid Disney fan). So I have a situation that I need advice on. I have been planning to run the princess and have talked about it to my husband since this past February. All of a sudden, my husband does not want me to go. His reasoning is he does not want to watch the kids for a whole week and he says money is tight. However, I have my dad's timeshare, free airfare, and discount park tickets through the military. Essentially, the trip will cost me around $500 for the week (a group of us are going as a girls trip). How do I put it to him that this is extremely important for me to run this? Thanks everyone.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #2119
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedPlayroom View Post
Mamasmurf227 - I have a question. How ok are your kids? My DD is 5 and her school is crazy strict about absences, so I toyed with the idea of going by myself. I don't know if I can do it though!! Any guilt free tips?
Release the guilt! If you want to take your daughter, I wouldn't worry about the school. She's 5 years old and you are her parent... it won't be the end of the world if she misses a few days of class. And what a great experience for her to watch her mom accomplish a half marathon!

On the other hand, if you want to go alone, she'll be fine for a few days without you. And you'll be a healthier, more confident, happy mom when you return.
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #2120
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

We're making the Princess a family trip (DH and the boys are running on Saturday and I'm on Sunday) but then DH and I are sneaking back in May to do Everest and we're telling the boys that we're going out of town for "a race" which we do sometimes. As log as they don't know it's Disney, we're safe. But I am terrified someone will spill the beans or they will see pictures or something!!

Then in 2014, we're doing the Tink Half as a family trip and the W&D as adults only. Again...hope no one tells!!!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #2121
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
Release the guilt! If you want to take your daughter, I wouldn't worry about the school. She's 5 years old and you are her parent... it won't be the end of the world if she misses a few days of class. And what a great experience for her to watch her mom accomplish a half marathon!

On the other hand, if you want to go alone, she'll be fine for a few days without you. And you'll be a healthier, more confident, happy mom when you return.
Yes, yes and yes!!!

Before having school-aged kids, I felt very strongly that kids should never be taken out of school for vacation when there are plenty of months when they're not in school to go. Unfortunately, between my work stuff, DH's work stuff, family stuff, other stuff, misc stuff and stuff stuff, it isn't always possible to take an awesome family vacation in July and Disney is a lot ore affordable in February. So we took them out for a week this year and we're doing it again next year and the following. My oldest is in 2nd grade now and I think probably in a few years I will have to re-assess. But honestly, what they are learning now...they can make it up. And the experiences are totally worth it! My kids grew up so much in that week and my oldest did all of his homework on the plane and read every night there.

OTOH, if you want to go alone, enjoy it!!! Mommy needs a break too!!!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #2122
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to clarify something about time/placement:

I'm running a half at the end of the month, and I'm not sure if I'm going to break 2:45. Let's say I come it at 2:50, is it still worth submitting my proof of time in the hopes that I would be placed ahead of those not submitting times at all?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #2123
jodipaige2004
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermom76 View Post
Liked your page, I live in Brampton!!!
Thanks Tinkermom76! "It's a small world after all"!

Are you doing any races in Toronto before the Princess? Last month we had a little princess meet-up at the Toronto Women's 10K (check out my race report on our blog for pics...one of the ladies even brought tiaras for everyone!) and it was so much fun to meet others who are training for this event. We will be doing another meet-up at the Toronto Zoo Run on Sept 22! I am also registered for the TO Women's Half-Marathon on May 25 - this will be a half I run for time, whereas the Princess is my first and I want to be able to stop for characters and photos and just enjoy it!

Jodi

www.2princessesontherun.wordpress.com
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #2124
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
Just wanted to clarify something about time/placement:

I'm running a half at the end of the month, and I'm not sure if I'm going to break 2:45. Let's say I come it at 2:50, is it still worth submitting my proof of time in the hopes that I would be placed ahead of those not submitting times at all?
I'd bring it to the expo. I don't think I'd submit it ahead of time just in case they use it to move you back, KWIM?

After you get your bib, you will know. If you get in a corral you are comfortable with, then don't worry about it. If you happen to get stuck in the back for some reason then take it to the runners relations and see if they will move you up. I do think in general, proof of time helps.

They may take into consideration the fact that Disney is pretty flat and fast compared to other halves... so there may be a bump factored in, KWIM? I'm just thinking I'd be a heck of a lot slower in the SF half (holy hills!) than doing WDW.

I don't know that it would help for sure, but I'd bring it to the expo and see what your corral ends up being. I doubt they would move you back, but they might bump you up.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 09-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #2125
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Whew - have been away for a week or two while moving into our new house. Finally just caught up!

Two cents about the t-shirts / goody bag thing: Yes - I agree that they are seeming to "cheap out" for the money we pay. But once I gave it further thought, I realize that there is no way any of us can truly know the magnitude of how much it costs to put on an event like this. From staff handling registrations (and all of us calling about our corrals!) to the expo, to actual race day, the amount of staffing is outrageous. Throw in all the characters & handlers, tech people to take care of sound, lights and mile markers, the cost of opening the park early, the insurance, the amount of EMT workers they need on hand (b/c, let's face it, people just want to do a Disney race wether they are prepared or not and many of them end up needing medical care), the police that need to be on standby.... the list goes on and on. Personally, I don't care about the tech shirts - I would actually rather get the "I Did It" shirt included in my reg fee. But there's no way that's gonna happen, because lots of people are willing to pay $25 for that shirt but a lot less would pay that kind of money for the tech tee that they have been including.

As far as guilt for going without your family: some of these posts are running together, but I think the orig. poster mentioned that they had just taken the kids in Feb? Then NO GUILT at all, I say! This is a girl's weekend for me and my kids have been surprisingly ok with it. The first year, I didn't tell them I was going to Disney - I just told them I was going to Orlando. One of my jr. detectives snooped on my desk and saw my race stuff, but there was no drama. Last year, no drama b/c we had already planned a Dis cruise for this past summer. At this point, I think my kids just realize that this is something Mom and Ms. Julie do. I really can't imagine dealing with all the logistics and early rising for the race while trying to cater to my kids as well. I also think it's okay for kids to know that they don't have to be included in everything. It's more than acceptable for kids to understand that sometimes they will be going on trips like this, and sometimes they will not. And I bring back cool gifts, so that helps!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #2126
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

I was JUST thinking about my kids not going and then I read your reply lol. Mine don't really know yet that I'm going, they have heard me talking about it but haven't mentioned it yet.
I have been a SAHM and catered to everyone's needs for 8 years now. It is high time that I do something for myself. If that means that my kids stay at home with DH for a weekend and I go run my little heart out, so be it. I honestly couldn't deal with my 4 DC and have fun at this race.. Not for the first time anyway! Maybe later when they are older, but right now at ages 7, almost 5, just turned 2, and almost 1... No This Mama needs a break
Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #2127
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Hi Princesses
We just got home from a LONG weekend at Disneyland for the DL 1/2 Marathon and two things I wanted to share:

I confirmed with RunDisney that there will be a special medal for the 5th Princess 1/2 but no hint at all what it may look like. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The second is just to encourage everyone to be consistent in their training. I ended up running the DL 1/2 sick. As soon as we hit Anaheim, I got a nasty head/chest cold. Feeling miserable but no fever. I ended up running and finishing but was miserable for the entire time. But I really believe that it was my consistent training is what helped me finish. DH and I do this race every year and I was SO looking forward to it and I never thought I would get sick so I guess it's something we all have to think about and try and avoid. I would encourage everyone just to keep up their training since you never know what might happen on race day. And the better prepared you are before race day the easier race day will be sick or not sick.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #2128
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
I also think it's okay for kids to know that they don't have to be included in everything. It's more than acceptable for kids to understand that sometimes they will be going on trips like this, and sometimes they will not. And I bring back cool gifts, so that helps!
This is what my parents called character building

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
Old 09-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #2129
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Hi Princesses
We just got home from a LONG weekend at Disneyland for the DL 1/2 Marathon and two things I wanted to share:

I confirmed with RunDisney that there will be a special medal for the 5th Princess 1/2 but no hint at all what it may look like. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The second is just to encourage everyone to be consistent in their training. I ended up running the DL 1/2 sick. As soon as we hit Anaheim, I got a nasty head/chest cold. Feeling miserable but no fever. I ended up running and finishing but was miserable for the entire time. But I really believe that it was my consistent training is what helped me finish. DH and I do this race every year and I was SO looking forward to it and I never thought I would get sick so I guess it's something we all have to think about and try and avoid. I would encourage everyone just to keep up their training since you never know what might happen on race day. And the better prepared you are before race day the easier race day will be sick or not sick.
Congrats on the finish!! Sorry you were sick though As tough as that was physically on your body, I can't even imagine how hard that was to do mentally! My BF and I were kind of sad all weekend that we weren't there...reading about it here and on FB. I ran 8 miles that same morning and he rode his bike along with me since he got his long run in the day before, and kept saying "oh, we'd be starting the DL race right about now!" or "you'd probably be getting close to Angel stadium if we were there!" I love the old-school looking design on the medal's lanyard and on the bib this year too. We're sorry we had to miss it this time around

Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #2130
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
Maybe later when they are older, but right now at ages 7, almost 5, just turned 2, and almost 1... No This Mama needs a break
I think you have absolutely earned a break!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: