Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #1876
Orcagirl
Earning My Ears

Ran my first 10k in *years* this morning. The event was hosted by a local athletics club, and with just 140-some very serious runners participating, my only goal was to not finish last. Really surprised myself with a 1:01 finish time. Not quite a PB, but not too far off, either. And now I get to move the marker on my Princess Half map up past the castle. (Stole someone else's brilliant motivational technique: printed out the course map, posted it on the fridge, and use a sticker to mark the longest run to date as part of training.)

During today's run, two questions popped into mind:

1. Does anyone know if there's a massage tent at the end of the Princess Half other than the one that's part of the Race Retreat?

2. If you're running in a costume that leaves your midriff bare, and you don't want to cover up your sports bra (which is themed to the costume), what are the options for your race number? I thought about pinning it to my tutu, but I'm worried it'll be too poufy and the race number won't be easily visible to the Brightroom photographers. Has anyone taped their race number right to their stomach?

Yeah, I think about weird things when I run...

Erin
Old 08-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #1877
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcagirl
Ran my first 10k in *years* this morning. The event was hosted by a local athletics club, and with just 140-some very serious runners participating, my only goal was to not finish last. Really surprised myself with a 1:01 finish time. Not quite a PB, but not too far off, either. And now I get to move the marker on my Princess Half map up past the castle. (Stole someone else's brilliant motivational technique: printed out the course map, posted it on the fridge, and use a sticker to mark the longest run to date as part of training.)

1. Does anyone know if there's a massage tent at the end of the Princess Half other than the one that's part of the Race Retreat?

2. If you're running in a costume that leaves your midriff bare, and you don't want to cover up your sports bra (which is themed to the costume), what are the options for your race number? I thought about pinning it to my tutu, but I'm worried it'll be too poufy and the race number won't be easily visible to the Brightroom photographers. Has anyone taped their race number right to their stomach?

Erin
From what I can remember at the other Disney halfs I've done, there has been a massage tent. I've never taken advantage, but know I've seen it. As for your bib, no idea, sorry!

Congrats on the 10k today, that's a great time!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #1878
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Oh! Maybe just use the top two pin holes on the bib to pin it to the bottom of your sports bra. As long as its not a windy day, your forward motion should keep the bib flat against your stomach so you wouldn't necessarily need to use the bottom two.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #1879
Orcagirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Oh! Maybe just use the top two pin holes on the bib to pin it to the bottom of your sports bra. As long as its not a windy day, your forward motion should keep the bib flat against your stomach so you wouldn't necessarily need to use the bottom two.
Good idea, thanks! And maybe I'll bring some double-sided body tape too just in case the bottom edge of the bib needs a little extra help staying down.

For all the effort I'm putting into transforming my purple sports bra into an Ariel-esque clamshell top, no way I'm going to cover it with the race bib!

Erin
Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #1880
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
I did. I managed to mostly catch a break in the rain. I even broke the 16 min mile mark for the first time. It was only a 15:57 minute mile average, but I'll take it!
Yes, you WILL take it! Way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Ran 13.5 miles today. Honestly, the last 2 miles were hard and I just wanted it DONE. I will start tapering since it's only two weeks until I run the DL 1/2 marathon.

I really miss getting a medal after running all that distance.
Woo-hoo! I hear ya about the medal - I ran the Castaway Cay 5K on our cruise at the beginning of August and got the little plastic medal. I read elsewhere that the very cruise after ours, they "discontinued" handing out the medal. Um, that's the only reason I got up on my vacation to run that %^&* thing - if I had done it and not gotten a medal, I would have been seriously upset to miss out on extra beach time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcagirl View Post

Erin
Congrats - great time! There is a massage tent and I do believe it's open to anyone but there is a charge - can't remember. Your outfit sounds great! I've run as Tinkerbell the last 2 years but think that I have settled on "Provincial" Belle for this year. Should be pretty easy, I think!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR

Last edited by tinkeramy; 08-19-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #1881
KTE
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcagirl View Post
Good idea, thanks! And maybe I'll bring some double-sided body tape too just in case the bottom edge of the bib needs a little extra help staying down.

For all the effort I'm putting into transforming my purple sports bra into an Ariel-esque clamshell top, no way I'm going to cover it with the race bib!

Erin
You can also hit up a costume shop during Halloween and buy some spirit gum- it's the stuff you use to stick on mustaches and the edges of wigs if you really don't want them to move. It holds stuff really well and is pretty easy to get off afterwards.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #1882
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

We're planning on Victoria & Albert's as our celebratory post-race dinner. You think I can wear my medal there?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #1883
verygfy
DIS Veteran

Wow, so many pages and so many great tips. I just registered for the Princess half this week, it will be me, DBF and a few other girlfriends. Girls Weekend!! This has been a bucket list for us and we can't wait to mark this one off. Please add me to the roster.

I have started following the Galloway training and did 4 miles on Saturday. I know I have a long way to train for 13 miles.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #1884
Mrs D
I realize most people don't hear editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD
Ran 13.5 miles today. Honestly, the last 2 miles were hard and I just wanted it DONE. I will start tapering since it's only two weeks until I run the DL 1/2 marathon.

I really miss getting a medal after running all that distance.
Have a great race and enjoy DL!

Mom/Son bday trip! 6/15**WDW, Frozen Summer Fun & Diagon Alley! Aug. '14*Ultimate Orlando w/WDW, WWoHP&Legoland + First DCL!!Jan '14**Princess Half Marathon Feb '12 AKV**Oct. 12 DL for Halloween Time!**Apr. 12 Pop/AKV, F&G fest+ 80th bday**Leap Day! 24hrs in MK & CR!**June 11-Pop & SWW**Oct. '10 Pixie Dust!Upgraded to GF!! Wine & Dine Half Relay!**Dec. 09 Christmas at Pop**Feb. 09 Girls Only BDAY trip@BWV!** Sept. 08 First trip for the little ones - VWL** Numerous trips throughout childhood.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #1885
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're planning on Victoria & Albert's as our celebratory post-race dinner. You think I can wear my medal there?
Yes !!!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #1886
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs D View Post
Have a great race and enjoy DL!
Thank you!!! I can't wait to get back to my "Happy Place".
Old 08-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #1887
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY!!!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #1888
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Yes !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
ABSOLUTELY!!!

3 miles today at a 16:12 pace. I'm slowly getting there. I decided to start doing a full 3 miles each day. I'm doing whatever the day's C25K workout is and then doing 1/1 intervals to get me to the 3 miles mark. I messed up me runkeeper settings, so I did it as 2 activities. The C25K part - 15:55 pace.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #1889
samc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
When you run on the road between Epcot and MK, the characters are in the middle on the grassy median, so they will be there on the way back. I've only done this 2 years now, but both years had Capt. Jack & a pirate ship and a big group of men - Prince Eric, Flynn Rider, Tarzan (), John Smith (Pocahontas), prince from Mulan, Aladdin... Don't remember who else was in the middle. But the lines are shorter on the way back, you have better light and you don't waste time at the beginning. This is only on the road, though - once you get in the MK parking lot, if there is someone you want to see then you need to hit it b/c you leave a different way than how you come in.

I noticed you are in Alabama. If you run outside, I promise you that you will get faster once fall breaks! Heat & humidity make everything about 100 times harder. If you are on a treadmill, I would suggest just challenging yourself - kick up the speed in small notches, a little at a time. Really, you have a long time to get up to speed, so to speak, so I wouldn't really worry about that now. I would get your body used to the miles, and I think you will find that if you consistently stick to a plan, you will see the speed come of it's own. Hang in there!
thanks! that's good to know! it's way too hot/humid in Alabama for me to run outside so I've been on the treadmill most of the summer - plus it's easier to adjust my speed. I'll take your advice & increase it a little each week. Hopefully it'll cool off soon

DH, me, DS-8

1972 Day trip ~ Sep 03 POR ~ Feb 04 WL ~ Oct 04 CS ~ Dec 04 POFQ & MVMCP ~ Aug 05 Swan & DCL ~ Oct 05 Pop & MNSSHP ~
May 06 Offsite & SWW ~ Nov 06 offsite & MVMCP
~ Feb 08 offsite & P&PP ~ Feb 09 offsite
Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #1890
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa3Princess View Post
Hi Christina,

I personally stay off property because we are a family of 8 and we love Disney to pieces but we a) do not like sleeping on top of each other and b) can't afford to pay 5,000 to 6,000 for us all to stay on property.

we rent pool homes for the week. WE try to find homes that have disney themes to help us "feel" the atmosphere at Disney. We hang out a down town disney or this year the water parks if it is warm enough.
The park pricing discount is extremely worth it to us. I know our situation is unique but we love Orlando and we get the best of both worlds when we are there.

can't answer no.2

3) I am doing race retreat off property because again my hubby has been to enough races and dragging all the kiddies out to see me cross the finish line is well.... so this year I will do race retreat so that I can keep warmed up and also cool down without feeling like I have to rush back to get to every one and I can enjoy the moment with the girls.

I wore a tutu and a head band that was about creative as I can get. I will do another tutu and head band. 13.1 miles was a bit long with the tu tu scratching me so I am still up in the air about costuming.

Last year about 4 of us got together and did the race. Money is tight for everyone and I very well may have to run alone this year. Last year I ran with a friend for 10 miles and then she ran ahead. I run locally by myself so I do not mind running alone. I will attend more of the meet and greets this year just to see some familiar faces and get to know some people from this board.

Hope this helped some
This helped IMMENSELY!
At this point, it looks like I have a friend doing it with me but whether we keep the same pace- I'm not sure if she'll be running ahead or I will depending on how well each of us train (she's in FL and I'm in NJ). We're staying off property since she has a non-DVC timeshare in Orlando. I'm dressing up- I *think* as Ariel though I know my friend is going as Ariel so I'm not sure if we'll be Team Mermaid or if I'm going to go off on my own
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: