Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #1816
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
"Look at that fat girl running. Who is she kidding? *giggle, giggle*" That's what I heard this morning when I passed some women walking. Those ladies can suck it. I may be bigger than them, but I got there before them, left after them, and ran while they were walking and gossiping.
My 1st half was the Princess 2011. I was overweight when I started training (still am ~ and I'm training for my 3rd). We had a great running trail close to our home. Unfortunately it went by the local jr./sr. high schools. On one of my first run/walk's a truck of high school boys drove by and yelled, 'Keep running! You have a long way to go!"

At first, it hurt my feelings and I wanted to quit but I kept going and the more I thought about it the more motivation it gave me. I did have a long way to go to get to the finish line of a half marathon. But I did it! I still have a long way to go to lose weight but I will do that too!

No matter what ~ keep training. The finish line feels so good!!

Merci

Me DH DS(16) DS(14) DS(11) DS(10) DD(9) DD(7)
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon), OCT 13 CSR (Grand Gathering)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #1817
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mana'olana View Post
Ugh...those people make me so mad! I usually get the fat calls out the windows of teenager's in my neighborhood, I know damn well that 1/2 their moms are probably 300+ lbs! I also get the weird looks on people's faces when I tell them I training for a 1/2 marathon. I run 4x a week and watch/count everything that goes into my mouth, I'm just not a skinny minnie running type and never will be. I'm half Hawaiian and proud to be curvy and full figured like my ancestors! People make me so mad!!

I see we might be going to Disney the same time as you in October. I'm, impatiently, waiting for the AP prices to come out.

Keep running and screw those ladies! All they can brag about is walking, probably slowly, and gossiping while they do it.
We'll be there Oct 6-14, right now at POR in a royal room. If a decent AP discount comes out, we'll probably do a split stay - 4 nights at POR, 4 nights at BWI. I'm really ready for those AP rates to come out. I want to finalize our plans already! My classes start on Wed, so I'm trying to get that stuff worked out before I go back.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #1818
mana'olana
Mouseketeer

We are going Oct 12 - 15, waiting for those darn AP rates to come out for us to make our final decision. If it's good enough we're looking at Yacht Club, if not we're either staying POR or CBR. POR is nice. First trip without kiddos since our honeymoon. Squee!! Not that I don't love my kids, cuz I love them tons. This is our first trip period without them. It will be hard leaving them. Our plane lands back home at 11 am and I have a 5 hour long ecology lab class at 1, blech.

Oct '97 ASM Honeymoon Dec '05 AKL Baby Girl's 1st Trip Sep '06 Poly Concierge Aug '07 Contemporary Pirate & Princess Party Oct '09 POR July '12 Beach Club Mar '13 CBR Mar '14 Cruisin'
Old 08-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #1819
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

We went without the kids in Dec and had so much fun! It's fun with the kids, but it was also fun speedwalking to make 1 last ride on Test Track at 12:30 AM.

I'm probably missing my ecology lab for our trip. My other Wed lab is cancelled that week, since it's a short week. My darn ecology professor doesn't have the syllabus up yet.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #1820
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
"Look at that fat girl running. Who is she kidding? *giggle, giggle*" That's what I heard this morning when I passed some women walking. Those ladies can suck it. I may be bigger than them, but I got there before them, left after them, and ran while they were walking and gossiping.

People can be so mean and ignorant !!!! I am so sorry you had to deal with that this morning.

I'm am SO glad you got to your location before them and you ran when they were walking !!! Good for you !!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #1821
sau418
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie
How horrible, so sorry you dealt with that. I am sure it has been said about me, but I am so focused on running through the castle, anyone who cares to say anything about my fat can suck it .
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #1822
sau418
Mouseketeer

Question about the race retreat. I am a sucker for Characters, are there many there after the race and is it worth the $200, I would be spending for me and DH?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #1823
FittobeaPrincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
you sound a lot like me! I just starting following your blog.....keep it up, I have a long way to go as well
Thank you! Right back at ya! See ya at the finish line

www.fittobeaprincess.com
Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #1824
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's insane. I agree with the pp who said that clearly they are not runners, b/c if they were, they would know what it takes to do what you are doing and they wouldn't be like that. I probably would not have been able to keep from saying something - I mean, "who does she think she's kidding"? Um, nobody. Because you are actually there, running, and they were not. No joke. I am blessed with a skinny figure, and when I started out I STILL felt like I was going to collapse and die! When I see someone out there running who is bigger than I am, I have nothing but admiration and respect for them. You can't win - people accuse larger people of doing nothing but sitting on the couch and eating, but here is someone who is out getting a hard workout in and people want to make fun of that, too. Yes, they CAN suck it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Thank you! 14min/mile sounds doable. So the same characters will be there on the way back from MK? I don't want to msis out on a favorite if we skip it the first time past.

I'm currently at about a 15:50min/mile with my longest run being 4.5 miles at a slower pace........so a long way to go but excited to get there

Getting faster seems to be the hardest part.....I started at about a 17min/mile a few months ago & it feels like I should be faster than I am at this point.

Any advice on how to increase speed?? :confused

Thanks again!
When you run on the road between Epcot and MK, the characters are in the middle on the grassy median, so they will be there on the way back. I've only done this 2 years now, but both years had Capt. Jack & a pirate ship and a big group of men - Prince Eric, Flynn Rider, Tarzan (), John Smith (Pocahontas), prince from Mulan, Aladdin... Don't remember who else was in the middle. But the lines are shorter on the way back, you have better light and you don't waste time at the beginning. This is only on the road, though - once you get in the MK parking lot, if there is someone you want to see then you need to hit it b/c you leave a different way than how you come in.

I noticed you are in Alabama. If you run outside, I promise you that you will get faster once fall breaks! Heat & humidity make everything about 100 times harder. If you are on a treadmill, I would suggest just challenging yourself - kick up the speed in small notches, a little at a time. Really, you have a long time to get up to speed, so to speak, so I wouldn't really worry about that now. I would get your body used to the miles, and I think you will find that if you consistently stick to a plan, you will see the speed come of it's own. Hang in there!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #1825
MouserQ
Earning My Ears

Hi folks! I'm a Disboard lurker of a long time. I signed up to run the PHM about a month ago and after reading more than 120 pages of your inspiring comments, I thought I should come out of the woodwork and join the fray.

I'm so excited!

This will be my first half marathon -- I'm a beginning runner working towards a 5K right now. I'll be turning 30 in May and thought I'd like to run a half marathon before I hit that milestone. And what better way to motivate myself than a reservation at the happiest place on earth? (Also what better way to justify a long-weekend vacation to Disney?)

I love reading about everyone's training and am totally drinking up your stories and motivation to keep going.

My motto is "no pain, no princess"!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #1826
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sau418 View Post
Question about the race retreat. I am a sucker for Characters, are there many there after the race and is it worth the $200, I would be spending for me and DH?
I have zero clue about the characters. I'm treating myself to the race retreat for two reasons:
1) climate control
2) post race mimosa
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #1827
Strawberry's mom&dad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FittobeaPrincess View Post
I am all registered! And am starting my training... right now I am visiting family in NJ and the humidity has been bad some mornings. YIKES! This really makes an impact on my running. Where I live to is basically NO humidity... makes me nervous that the day of the run in Disney will be humid and it will kick my butt! Has anyone trained in a little humidity area, and had problems with the humidity during a race???
I live in western wash. My experience in running a race was on Castaway key in the Bahamas this past May. It was hot and humid. Felt I was going to melt. I had a frog tog around my neck entire race, poured ice water on my head and neck once. I over heated, but managed to do a personal best there. of 43 minutes. Then I went straight into the ocean to cool down.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #1828
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the kids words. It really bummed me out at first. It gets really hard for me mentally sometimes. I had a verbally/emotionally abusive parent growing up. Even though my logical brain says that it's nonsense, the decades of "you can't do it, you can't do anything, you're worthless" starts to creep in and try to take over.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #1829
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouserQ View Post
Hi folks! I'm a Disboard lurker of a long time. I signed up to run the PHM about a month ago and after reading more than 120 pages of your inspiring comments, I thought I should come out of the woodwork and join the fray.

I'm so excited!

This will be my first half marathon -- I'm a beginning runner working towards a 5K right now. I'll be turning 30 in May and thought I'd like to run a half marathon before I hit that milestone. And what better way to motivate myself than a reservation at the happiest place on earth? (Also what better way to justify a long-weekend vacation to Disney?)

I love reading about everyone's training and am totally drinking up your stories and motivation to keep going.

My motto is "no pain, no princess"!

Welcome !!!!
I love your motto..."No pain, no Princess"
Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #1830
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the kids words. It really bummed me out at first. It gets really hard for me mentally sometimes. I had a verbally/emotionally abusive parent growing up. Even though my logical brain says that it's nonsense, the decades of "you can't do it, you can't do anything, you're worthless" starts to creep in and try to take over.

Two of my favorite quotes from Walt Disney........

“All our dreams can come true...if we have the courage to pursue them.”

"Think, Believe, Dream, and Dare." — Walt Disney”

We are all working on our goals and this is a wonderful place for support and encouragement. Princess Power !!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: