Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #1786
FittobeaPrincess
Earning My Ears

Humidity

I am all registered! And am starting my training... right now I am visiting family in NJ and the humidity has been bad some mornings. YIKES! This really makes an impact on my running. Where I live to is basically NO humidity... makes me nervous that the day of the run in Disney will be humid and it will kick my butt! Has anyone trained in a little humidity area, and had problems with the humidity during a race???
Old 08-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #1787
neverlandmom
Earning My Ears

I am running the Princess, when should I start training? I see a lot of people are doing it now and I have heard you don't need to start until October. I have never done this before... Help!
All Star Movies October 2008 (15 days)
Couldn't get enough so we moved to FL May 2009
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #1788
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverlandmom View Post
I am running the Princess, when should I start training? I see a lot of people are doing it now and I have heard you don't need to start until October. I have never done this before... Help!
The 2011 Princess was my first, and when I decided to do it, I was literally starting from scratch...NOT a runner/jogger/wogger or anything, EVER!! I started off "training" immediately though, which was like about 7 or 8 months out from race day. BUT...at that time, per my trainer, my only goal was to get to the point where I could run/walk 3 miles. I just started out walking the entire thing, then moved up to running VERY short intervals between light posts, etc, until I could get to my goal of 3 miles where I ran one mile and then took 100-step walk breaks at each mile....which would become my race day plan as well...and still is today. I did that for QUITE a while, 3 times a week...once I got "comfortable" (HA!) with that, she had me try 4 milers as a "long run" once a week. 16 weeks before the race was when I started my "official" race training schedule where the miles started climbing. There are alot of different plans out there to pick and choose from though...I know I hear and read alot about the "couch to 5k" programs and one that follows it to build to a 10k distance. I think alot of people do those to prepare to start their official training schedule...I'm sure you'll get alot of other suggestions here! Just remember there's no one "right" way to do it...just whatever works for you and your fitness level and goals. It's good to think about it now though and start experimenting so you'll have plenty of time to tweak before it gets too close. At some point, when you start an official schedule leading up to race day, you'll probably want a plan in place that you can follow each week that will help you meet your goals on race day...my trainer always says "you'll race how you train, so know what you want to do and be consistent." It'll take some stress out of race day too, if you can do that! Hope some of this helps

Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #1789
neverlandmom
Earning My Ears

Thank you! That does help and is an encouragement that you started from scratch also. I just started walking in the evenings. I am curious what others have to say as well. Again thank you!
All Star Movies October 2008 (15 days)
Couldn't get enough so we moved to FL May 2009
Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #1790
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Technically I'm training now, but I was pretty much starting from zero again. My goal is to work up to running a full 3 miles by my Oct trip. Then after it, I'll begin really training for the half. I'm tentatively planning on using Jeff Galloway's beginner plan for the Princess. http://www.rundisney.com/training/
Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #1791
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Talk to me about running on vacation. We're heading to WDW in Oct. Should I stick with 3-4 days of running? Do I run the same distance, or should I take it easy, since I'll be walking a billion miles a day as well?
Old 08-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #1792
samc
Mouseketeer

What do y'all think is a reasonable min/mile cushion if you were to start in the last corral and wanted to stop for pics and enjoy the atmosphere?

I'm pretty sure that's where we'll end up because we aren't planning to do a 10K between now and the race. None of have any experience and just started run/walk training in the last few months.

I really want my friends to enjoy this and finish the race....so maybe they'll run with me again.....KWIM

thanks!

DH, me, DS-8

1972 Day trip ~ Sep 03 POR ~ Feb 04 WL ~ Oct 04 CS ~ Dec 04 POFQ & MVMCP ~ Aug 05 Swan & DCL ~ Oct 05 Pop & MNSSHP ~
May 06 Offsite & SWW ~ Nov 06 offsite & MVMCP
~ Feb 08 offsite & P&PP ~ Feb 09 offsite
Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #1793
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Weight Loss?

I think it was on this thread last week when someone started a discussion about training for a marathon/half marathon and not losing or even gaining weight...anyway, this article popped up in my email today from Runner's World, so I thought it may be of interest to those discussing it last week

Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #1794
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
What do y'all think is a reasonable min/mile cushion if you were to start in the last corral and wanted to stop for pics and enjoy the atmosphere?

I'm pretty sure that's where we'll end up because we aren't planning to do a 10K between now and the race. None of have any experience and just started run/walk training in the last few months.

I really want my friends to enjoy this and finish the race....so maybe they'll run with me again.....KWIM

thanks!
I'd say at least a 14 min mile pace, plus being selective on where you stop! If there's a line with 10 people or more, you may need to skip it. If you can hit characters on the way back from MK instead of on the way TO MK, you might hit some shorter lines.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #1795
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
I just started walking in the evenings. I am curious what others have to say as well.
I started training in Jan. with a 5K as my goal. I'm now training for the TOT 10-Miler, so I'm not technically training for the Princess yet, but I see what I'm doing now as what I'll build off of to get stronger/faster when I start the Princess program in Oct. I'm a big fan of Jeff Galloway's training plans, which are on the runDisney site, as well as his own web page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
Talk to me about running on vacation. We're heading to WDW in Oct. Should I stick with 3-4 days of running? Do I run the same distance, or should I take it easy, since I'll be walking a billion miles a day as well?
FWIW, I stuck to my training plan during my summer trip to WDW. I had a couple short runs and one 7-miler and got all but the final short run in by doing them early in the morning. Yes, all of the walking resulted in legs more tired than usual, but I made sure to take it easy the day before my long run and it was fine. I did a blog post about training at WDW, if you're interested: http://seevrun.blogspot.com/2012/07/...ney-i-did.html

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #1796
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

"Look at that fat girl running. Who is she kidding? *giggle, giggle*" That's what I heard this morning when I passed some women walking. Those ladies can suck it. I may be bigger than them, but I got there before them, left after them, and ran while they were walking and gossiping.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #1797
samc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
I'd say at least a 14 min mile pace, plus being selective on where you stop! If there's a line with 10 people or more, you may need to skip it. If you can hit characters on the way back from MK instead of on the way TO MK, you might hit some shorter lines.
Thank you! 14min/mile sounds doable. So the same characters will be there on the way back from MK? I don't want to msis out on a favorite if we skip it the first time past.

I'm currently at about a 15:50min/mile with my longest run being 4.5 miles at a slower pace........so a long way to go but excited to get there

Getting faster seems to be the hardest part.....I started at about a 17min/mile a few months ago & it feels like I should be faster than I am at this point.

Any advice on how to increase speed?? :confused

Thanks again!

DH, me, DS-8

1972 Day trip ~ Sep 03 POR ~ Feb 04 WL ~ Oct 04 CS ~ Dec 04 POFQ & MVMCP ~ Aug 05 Swan & DCL ~ Oct 05 Pop & MNSSHP ~
May 06 Offsite & SWW ~ Nov 06 offsite & MVMCP
~ Feb 08 offsite & P&PP ~ Feb 09 offsite
Old 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #1798
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
FWIW, I stuck to my training plan during my summer trip to WDW. I had a couple short runs and one 7-miler and got all but the final short run in by doing them early in the morning. Yes, all of the walking resulted in legs more tired than usual, but I made sure to take it easy the day before my long run and it was fine. I did a blog post about training at WDW, if you're interested: http://seevrun.blogspot.com/2012/07/...ney-i-did.html
Thanks! I need to pull out our itinerary and see where I can fit some runs in. When we first started planning the trip, I hadn't decided to do the half yet, so I might have to rework some things. I'll only be up to about 3 miles by then, so it won't be a huge problem to be done by the time everyone else gets up.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:27 AM   #1799
happybaker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
We've been on a camping trip... just getting back to internet and catching up on this thread. I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to the the Rockfest Half in September. Bummer because it would have been fun to meet some of you New England ladies. My race budget and time away are all getting spent for the Disneyland Half...no more races after that until the Princess.
Too bad you won't be at the Rockfest, but I think I'd do the Disneyland Half too if I had the chance. You'll have to tell us all about it when you get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
Completely understand! I REALLY want to do a fall 10K because I don't trust that my Rockfest time will be decent enough to get a better corral placement. But, I haven't found any local that work with my schedule and I'm out of $$ so going out of town for a race is a no-go.

After about a month of being stalled at 5 miles, I finally did a 6 mile run while on vacation. I had to walk a bit (the banking on the side of the road was a bit more than I'm used to here) and stretch a lot, but it was a nice run and the last 2-3 miles were all uphill. Finished in 1:10, so I was pretty happy with that. At least I finally made it through Magic Kingdom on my map!!!

ETA: Just saw a listing for Great Pumpkin 10K, but I can't find a webpage for it. I'll have to keep checking, but maybe I just found a 10K to do!
Great job on the 6 miles!! I don't think my time from the Rockfest Half will be anything to write home about. I did 9 miles over the weekned in 2:10 and according to a race calculator, that puts me at a 3:14 half. Although, I really think I could knock about six or so minutes off that, but who knows.

I know it's not too local but there's the 6.66 Mile Devils Chase in Salem, MA at the end of October. I think I may do that one. Mostly just for fun and a chance to dress up a little.

Anyone else in the area looking for a 10K, I do know of one on Thanksgiving Day in Lowell, MA. It's not convenient for me, but they do give eveyone who finishes a pie!

Quote:
"Look at that fat girl running. Who is she kidding? *giggle, giggle*" That's what I heard this morning when I passed some women walking. Those ladies can suck it. I may be bigger than them, but I got there before them, left after them, and ran while they were walking and gossiping.
Those women suck!! And I attribute their attitude to jealousy. I'm overweight, but I've never had another runner/run-walker say anything negative to me. But I did have a guy and his girlfriend (who were just strolling along) make a snide comment loud enough for me to hear. It was an out/back trail and he made some comment that I didn't quite hear all of but I heard enough. It made me feel like crap and it made me want to stop, but I didn't. When I passed them on my way back I gave them a silent F-You. And it was a day I was doing that trail twice, so I passed them again and was still going strong, so I figured I showed them. I just told myself they were jealous because they were probably too scared to even try what we're all attempting to do by challenging ourselves.

Holly

Last edited by happybaker; 08-16-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #1800
FittobeaPrincess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
SO Not OK!!!! You keep going!!! Good for you.. if they have nothing better to do then comment about people out there exercising ..they do need to "suck it"!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: