Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #1741
VickiHD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Yes, RunDisney doesn't exactly spread the hotel discount love.....

The park ticket discount is good, but the room rates? Not so much. Depending on how long you are planning to stay or if you want to visit WDW again within a year, you might want to consider an annual pass. My running buddy Julie had one last year since she knew she was making multiple trips to WDW / DL that year. When the AP room rates came out - early fall? - we got a pretty good deal for a room at POFQ.
No, they don't.

We have premium AP's for DL already and I just have to "crunch" the numbers to see if the upgrade to the "premier" AP for both DL and WDW is worth it. It also depends on our DL AP renewal schedule too.
__________________
VickiHD is offline  
Old 08-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #1742
longhorns2
DIS Veteran
 
longhorns2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin-ish, TX
Posts: 1,877

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
No, they don't.

We have premium AP's for DL already and I just have to "crunch" the numbers to see if the upgrade to the "premier" AP for both DL and WDW is worth it. It also depends on our DL AP renewal schedule too.
I did it. I bought the WDW AP in Feb, and then went to DL last week for 4 days. I am going back to DL for Tink for another4 days, so it made sense to buy the upgrade. I come out ahead based on the discounts for food and merchandise (and again, possible room discounts! Hoping for one for DL as well as WDW)
__________________
Patty, aka Mommy to DS 1 DS 2 DD 1 DS 3 and DD 2

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #1743
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran
 
TinyDancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogg
thanks for the resort tips... i priced out a few with our mil discount so that should do it. i'm really on the fence about trying the 1/2 marathon this year. i am not a runner but this is on my big goal list i am not currently in running shape however did a 5k last month with a time of 35 minutes... did i mention im not a runner my husband and brother were planning on running with me for this and making a big family trip of it but i'm getting cold feet! reservations look good though so maybe, just maybe i'll commit to the plunge. 13.1 definitely would be a major jump for me!
Are you kidding? 35 minutes is a runner!! That's an awesome time for a beginner
__________________
TinyDancer is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #1744
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran
 
MoonFaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Big Orange Country
Posts: 1,748

Everyone that said that it would be easier once it cooled off was so right! I'm not fooling myself thinking that this cool snap will last, but I'll enjoy it while I can. It was 59 degrees when I started, and mid-60s when I got back home. Humidity was still high, but I didn't feel like I was breathing water. I compared to an almost identical in length, time of day run, and run/walk intervals from a week ago. Then - 17:45 min mile, and I was really pushing. Today - 15:08, and I was taking it really easy as I took a 5 day break from running.
__________________
Me DS (10) DD (9)
MoonFaerie is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #1745
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West on I-4, stop at the Gulf.
Posts: 8,859

I have what may be an odd question, but it's really been nagging at me!

Once you're in your corral, can you get out and back in it easily? What I really mean is, can I get out to use the porta-potty?! Oh, so I guess my question, too, is, are there porta-potties right near the corrals?

I just read someone's review of the Princess last year and she said they were in their corral 45 minutes before starting... I'll never make it that long if I'm properly hydrated, lol! Once I'm running, I'm good, but standing around, especially if it's chilly? Fahgetaboutit.
__________________
V's Fuzzy Running. Updated 11/14: Race Recap: 2014 Disney Wine & Dine Half-Marathon!

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
PrincessV is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #1746
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West on I-4, stop at the Gulf.
Posts: 8,859

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
Everyone that said that it would be easier once it cooled off was so right! I'm not fooling myself thinking that this cool snap will last, but I'll enjoy it while I can. It was 59 degrees when I started, and mid-60s when I got back home. Humidity was still high, but I didn't feel like I was breathing water. I compared to an almost identical in length, time of day run, and run/walk intervals from a week ago. Then - 17:45 min mile, and I was really pushing. Today - 15:08, and I was taking it really easy as I took a 5 day break from running.
Oh my gosh - I can't thank you enough for posting this! It's so hard to imagine cooler temps here, where it's only getting hotter every day. It definitely helps to hear someone live it for real!
__________________
V's Fuzzy Running. Updated 11/14: Race Recap: 2014 Disney Wine & Dine Half-Marathon!

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
PrincessV is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #1747
longhorns2
DIS Veteran
 
longhorns2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin-ish, TX
Posts: 1,877

You can leave and go back. You may feel like a salmon swimming upstream, but it is possible to leave the corral once you entered. They just look at your bib when you go back in.

Last year was a crazy rush to get to corrals for me so I can't tell you how close the potties were to C corral, but there are potties located in the general corral area.
__________________
Patty, aka Mommy to DS 1 DS 2 DD 1 DS 3 and DD 2

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #1748
longhorns2
DIS Veteran
 
longhorns2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin-ish, TX
Posts: 1,877

Great job moon faerie! It dies get easier with cooler temps. Totally jealous. Another 100 degree day here.
__________________
Patty, aka Mommy to DS 1 DS 2 DD 1 DS 3 and DD 2

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #1749
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran
 
tinkeramy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. GA
Posts: 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
I have what may be an odd question, but it's really been nagging at me!

Once you're in your corral, can you get out and back in it easily? What I really mean is, can I get out to use the porta-potty?! Oh, so I guess my question, too, is, are there porta-potties right near the corrals?

I just read someone's review of the Princess last year and she said they were in their corral 45 minutes before starting... I'll never make it that long if I'm properly hydrated, lol! Once I'm running, I'm good, but standing around, especially if it's chilly? Fahgetaboutit.
The potties are pretty close to the corrals, and there are potties (though not many) near the first mile marker. Really, though, I would stick a bandana or pack of tissues somewhere on you b/c you would definitely NOT be alone if you decided to commune with nature for a minute....
__________________
Amy
www.momsmagicalmiles.blogspot.com




July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
tinkeramy is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #1750
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West on I-4, stop at the Gulf.
Posts: 8,859

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
You can leave and go back. You may feel like a salmon swimming upstream, but it is possible to leave the corral once you entered. They just look at your bib when you go back in.

Last year was a crazy rush to get to corrals for me so I can't tell you how close the potties were to C corral, but there are potties located in the general corral area.
Awesome - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
The potties are pretty close to the corrals, and there are potties (though not many) near the first mile marker. Really, though, I would stick a bandana or pack of tissues somewhere on you b/c you would definitely NOT be alone if you decided to commune with nature for a minute....
Hee hee - as a one-time touring Deadhead I have no problem communing at all, but I suspect I could be wearing multiple layers for warmth and, despite my love of yoga, I may not be agile enough to make that work!
__________________
V's Fuzzy Running. Updated 11/14: Race Recap: 2014 Disney Wine & Dine Half-Marathon!

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
PrincessV is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #1751
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran
 
MoonFaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Big Orange Country
Posts: 1,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Oh my gosh - I can't thank you enough for posting this! It's so hard to imagine cooler temps here, where it's only getting hotter every day. It definitely helps to hear someone live it for real!
It was one of those things that I kept hearing and thinking people were just saying it to make me feel better. I was amazed today that every time Nancy (my phone) told me to walk, I was amazed that it walking time again already. It was so much easier.

I am kicking myself a little though. I kept repeating days of C25K because they were so hard. I knew I shouldn't be struggling as much as I was, so I figured I needed more time. Now I've only done 2 weeks of C25K in a month.
__________________
Me DS (10) DD (9)
MoonFaerie is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #1752
MaMa3Princess
I need to find the nearest Disneyaholic Anyomous meeting
 
MaMa3Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
It was one of those things that I kept hearing and thinking people were just saying it to make me feel better. I was amazed today that every time Nancy (my phone) told me to walk, I was amazed that it walking time again already. It was so much easier.

I am kicking myself a little though. I kept repeating days of C25K because they were so hard. I knew I shouldn't be struggling as much as I was, so I figured I needed more time. Now I've only done 2 weeks of C25K in a month.
I think what you are doing is smart. Consider it building your base mileage right now. Jeff Galloway's Princess training plan starts in October and it will be cooler and very much easier to run then. But glad you and Nancy had an amazing run.
__________________
Me DH DS15 DD13
DD11 Dd95 DD3:DS>

MaMa3Princess is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #1753
MaMa3Princess
I need to find the nearest Disneyaholic Anyomous meeting
 
MaMa3Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinascreative View Post
Hi! I'm new here.
I haven't run a race in (gulp) 9 years and I WANT to do this in 2013. I'm 34, have lost 22 lbs since May on WW and have about 35 ish more to go.
I want to do this for ME but I would prefer to buddy up and run with someone but, alas, I don't have any takers ;-)
I also have to figure out the finances-- for those who have done this before:

Is it feasible to stay off property and still feel like you got at least most of the experience or is it just a total pain in the you know where?

If staying on property for 2 nights, for just the hotel room-- what's the price range per night at minimum?

Would you rather stay on property and forego the Retreat OR do the Retreat and stay off property?



Do you dress up for the race? Why / why not out of curiosity?

Have you done it alone? What was your experience?

Thanks for your help!


Hi Christina,

I personally stay off property because we are a family of 8 and we love Disney to pieces but we a) do not like sleeping on top of each other and b) can't afford to pay 5,000 to 6,000 for us all to stay on property.

we rent pool homes for the week. WE try to find homes that have disney themes to help us "feel" the atmosphere at Disney. We hang out a down town disney or this year the water parks if it is warm enough.
The park pricing discount is extremely worth it to us. I know our situation is unique but we love Orlando and we get the best of both worlds when we are there.

can't answer no.2

3) I am doing race retreat off property because again my hubby has been to enough races and dragging all the kiddies out to see me cross the finish line is well.... so this year I will do race retreat so that I can keep warmed up and also cool down without feeling like I have to rush back to get to every one and I can enjoy the moment with the girls.

I wore a tutu and a head band that was about creative as I can get. I will do another tutu and head band. 13.1 miles was a bit long with the tu tu scratching me so I am still up in the air about costuming.

Last year about 4 of us got together and did the race. Money is tight for everyone and I very well may have to run alone this year. Last year I ran with a friend for 10 miles and then she ran ahead. I run locally by myself so I do not mind running alone. I will attend more of the meet and greets this year just to see some familiar faces and get to know some people from this board.

Hope this helped some
__________________
Me DH DS15 DD13
DD11 Dd95 DD3:DS>

MaMa3Princess is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #1754
VickiHD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa3Princess View Post

I wore a tutu and a head band that was about creative as I can get. I will do another tutu and head band. 13.1 miles was a bit long with the tu tu scratching me so I am still up in the air about costuming.
I was wondering about that....I am going to GET creative and make a tutu but I was wondering how it would feel running in one.

I'm not exactly going to try and test it out at the track on the weekends or running in the neighborhood. (I just would feel really weird) I'm thinking if I can run in Tink wings why not a tutu.
__________________
VickiHD is offline  
Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #1755
Lauraldawn
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto,ON
Posts: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
The potties are pretty close to the corrals, and there are potties (though not many) near the first mile marker. Really, though, I would stick a bandana or pack of tissues somewhere on you b/c you would definitely NOT be alone if you decided to commune with nature for a minute....
Seriously? I'm all about communing with nature, but I don't get the bandana thing. I thought people wore bandanas to wipe sweat. Do you wrap it back around your wrist?
I'm bringing toilet paper. and a ziploc.
Lauraldawn is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: