Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #1651
happybaker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
I'm doing the Rockfest Half, too!!! Yay! (I'm in Rochester, btw. )

~Kim

I'll be at the Rockfest Half too!!

Holly
Old 08-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #1652
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

I have a half Oct 21st. I have not started training for long runs. All summer I have been doing cross training.

Any advice on how to come off a half in Oct and be ready for the princess without over training and getting injured??
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #1653
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykay9377 View Post
SHFT - it's a shame you didn't wait actually - I was up at 7 to take DH to work and it was nasty hot so I wasn't looking forward to my run, but by 8:45ish, I headed to Westside and the weather was much better. Breezy, but overcast. Got a little funky by 10am, but I was able to do 4.25 miles! Great pace for you! I can really only do intervals of 45s/2m right now (especially in this nasty humidity), so my pace time is averaging around 16-17mm. I'm happy with that for August!

Also, +1 for Calf sleeves! I love mine!
Westside is one of my backup runs. That hill on 8th is a killer though!

I am already signed up for the Race Retreat. It's an indulgence, but the private portapotties really sold me! Crazy I know, but it's one less thing to worry about. Plus I'm an "early" person. I always like to get places early, being late makes me super anxious. So, I know I'll be getting there early, so I might as well be comfortable while I wait.

Awesome job to everyone for their runs this week. I think the weather's hideous everywhere so we're all rocking it, just getting out there!

My 4 1/2 miles plus yard mowing made me soooo hungry. I ate awful for lunch yesterday (popeyes chicken tenders and a biscuit!) and was still hungry today. I tried drinking the chocolate almond milk after the run and I don't know if it made it better or worse. I'm trying to lose one pound a week and it's going to be a rough road if running more than three miles is going to make me a ravenous eating machine... I only drank an 8oz box, maybe I should have a little more? I could mix the regular chocolate almond milk with some unsweetened almond milk to get some more calcium and protein without all the sugar. I did do a 14 mile bike ride the day before, so maybe it was a cumulative hunger thing. Any tips on keeping the hunger monster at bay when increasing the runs?

Last edited by SuperHappyFunTimes; 08-06-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #1654
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHappyFunTimes View Post
Westside is one of my backup runs. That hill on 8th is a killer though!

I am already signed up for the Race Retreat. It's an indulgence, but the private portapotties really sold me! Crazy I know, but it's one less thing to worry about. Plus I'm an "early" person. I always like to get places early, being late makes me super anxious. So, I know I'll be getting there early, so I might as well be comfortable while I wait.

Awesome job to everyone for their runs this week. I think the weather's hideous everywhere so we're all rocking it, just getting out there!

My 4 1/2 miles plus yard mowing made me soooo hungry. I ate awful for lunch yesterday (popeyes chicken tenders and a biscuit!) and was still hungry today. I tried drinking the chocolate almond milk after the run and I don't know if it made it better or worse. I'm trying to lose one pound a week and it's going to be a rough road if running more than three miles is going to make me a ravenous eating machine... I only drank an 8oz box, maybe I should have a little more? I could mix the regular chocolate almond milk with some unsweetened almond milk to get some more calcium and protein without all the sugar. I did do a 14 mile bike ride the day before, so maybe it was a cumulative hunger thing. Any tips on keeping the hunger monster at bay when increasing the runs?
I've read that training heavily for a race and losing weight don't often go together. I have about 14 pounds to my first goal weight and would like to lose 10-15 more after that. I'd love to keep losing, but with running 4-5 days a week, I'm not sure that's going to happen.

I'm a novice, but make sure you are getting enough protein. It is hard for me to get enough protein and if you are the same, I'd suggest drinking protein shakes after your runs or long bike rides. If I need the extra calories, I mix the powder in soy or almond milk. If I don't then I just use water. I prefer EAS protein powder but am using Muscle Milk Light right now.

If you don't want to use protein powder, try eating greek yogurt. Some have 12-17 grams of protein per container.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #1655
Lauraldawn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtwdw View Post
Anyone else considering the Race Retreat or is it worth it? I was reading a blog from the 2012 race and the RR looked like something that I would want. esp. the private porta potty and chaning area.

Also, I'm thinking about doing the 5k. Anyone else? I'm thinking that it will help with my nerves and give me a chance to see some character since I probably won't have time to see them on the half course....
Definitely considering race retreat. The private porta-potties are the draw for me. I've totally got a nervous bladder and I am more stressed about that than the race! Also, I think my family may come a little later than me (I want to take a bus, and I'd like dh and kids to drive a bit later), so I think this would work well.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #1656
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO

I've read that training heavily for a race and losing weight don't often go together. I have about 14 pounds to my first goal weight and would like to lose 10-15 more after that. I'd love to keep losing, but with running 4-5 days a week, I'm not sure that's going to happen.

I'm a novice, but make sure you are getting enough protein. It is hard for me to get enough protein and if you are the same, I'd suggest drinking protein shakes after your runs or long bike rides. If I need the extra calories, I mix the powder in soy or almond milk. If I don't then I just use water. I prefer EAS protein powder but am using Muscle Milk Light right now.

If you don't want to use protein powder, try eating greek yogurt. Some have 12-17 grams of protein per container.
I definitely found that to be true. When I first started training for my first half, I steadily lost a good amount of weight, but it gets harder to do when your mileage gets high. You need the calories to fuel those long runs...the right kind of calories of course, but calories nonetheless. If you don't take enough in, your body will let you know before your run is finished . It ends up becoming a game of figuring out the right combo of pre-run food, and hydration and fuel during the run...and just trying to break even. I agree on the Greek yogurt...if you like it, it's got a great amount of protein for recovery, and is always ready so you can get it in your system soon after your run for maximum benefit. But back to the weight loss part, I believe that when you're in a period where your taking in calories for high mileage, it's the cross training that will aid in some weight loss...but maybe not as fast or as much as when you're in lower mileage training. This is all just what has been my experience though.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #1657
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I definitely found that to be true. When I first started training for my first half, I steadily lost a good amount of weight, but it gets harder to do when your mileage gets high. You need the calories to fuel those long runs...the right kind of calories of course, but calories nonetheless. If you don't take enough in, your body will let you know before your run is finished . It ends up becoming a game of figuring out the right combo of pre-run food, and hydration and fuel during the run...and just trying to break even. I agree on the Greek yogurt...if you like it, it's got a great amount of protein for recovery, and is always ready so you can get it in your system soon after your run for maximum benefit. But back to the weight loss part, I believe that when you're in a period where your taking in calories for high mileage, it's the cross training that will aid in some weight loss...but maybe not as fast or as much as when you're in lower mileage training. This is all just what has been my experience though.
Well that doesn't seem fair at all! Do you remember what mileage you were at when the weight loss became more difficult? I think I still have a few months that I could keep my long runs at six miles or less if that would keep the weight loss going. I've lost 25 lbs since February and really need to lose 20 more to be at a weight I've run distances without injury before. Then another 20 to look adorable in my running costume!

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #1658
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHappyFunTimes

Well that doesn't seem fair at all! Do you remember what mileage you were at when the weight loss became more difficult? I think I still have a few months that I could keep my long runs at six miles or less if that would keep the weight loss going. I've lost 25 lbs since February and really need to lose 20 more to be at a weight I've run distances without injury before. Then another 20 to look adorable in my running costume!

Thanks for the input!
I'd say for me it's around the 6 or 7 mile mark when I really start to have to pay attention to fueling for the runs or else I'll be doomed. That's not to say I don't make an effort to properly fuel for runs less than 6, but because of my slower pace, especially now during the summer, it's during the 6mile and up runs that I start taking in fuel (I use Cliff shots) during my run and really pay attention to what I eat the day before that run. I'll also start to add to my pre long run breakfast...normally a bagel with PB but I add either an apple or banana to that for longer runs.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #1659
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishmom View Post
While watching the women's Olympic marathon this morning, my hubby and I agreed that we were kind of envious of the fact that they ran in cool rainy weather, while all we seem to get is hot as blazes and sauna steamy! I'm so over this summer weather!
I was doing the same thing, thinking, "That looks so nice, all of that cool rain!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourtwdw View Post
Anyone else considering the Race Retreat or is it worth it?
I signed up for RR - two reasons:
1. private potties
2. I'm a FL girl - a couple hours in temps below 60 will leave me freezing! And I was there that awful morning a couple years ago when the wind-chill was in the teens and ti snowed. Yes, SNOWED! Okay, it was closer to sleet, but still - I want shelter for as long as possible, just in case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I'd say for me it's around the 6 or 7 mile mark when I really start to have to pay attention to fueling for the runs or else I'll be doomed.
+1 But if I'm doing more than 6 miles, I have to start early - I start at 2 miles and re-fuel every 2 from there. I use Shot Blocks and Honey Stingers and take two chews every 2 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
How are the rest of the southern princess runners fairing with the summer heat & humidity ?
O.M.G. Let me share my Saturday long run..

9 miles was the goal - conditions were surprisingly "cool" for west-central FL: low-80s and humidity around 70% at 6:45am. First half was in full shade and not bad at all - I actually felt really good and strong through mile 5. By mile 6, the sun was up and it was hard to find shade, and the temp was around 90. Tunnel vision, chest constricted, nausea, despite taking in 30 ounces of Nuun during my run, on top of 16 ounces pre-run and lots and lots of water the day before. By mile 7 I felt like I was sweating pure salt and it was burning the heck out of my eye, lips and cheeks. Lots more walking than I wanted to do over those last few miles and at mile 8, I stopped at my pool, pulled off socks, sneakers and iPhone and jumped in for a couple minutes. It cooled me down enough to finish the last mile.

I got into an ice bath immediately after a cool-down walk and sucked down Gatorade 3 and water. All told, I lost 5 pounds on that run, battled a pounding headache for another 12 hours, and am only now starting to feel "normal" again.

So here's my lesson learned/ advice for others: SLOW. IT. DOWN. Yeah, yeah, I already knew that; but I didn't do it. Not enough, anyway. On my short, fast runs, I average just over a 12:00/mile pace; that awful 9 miles averaged a 12:56/mile. Looking at the data, I was running around a sub-10:00 pace during a lot of my run intervals. In retrospect, I was overheated, not under hydrated, and probably pushed it close to the edge of being dangerous.

Ladies, don't be me.

I hereby vow to take more frequent and longer walk breaks on my next run and will run slower, focusing only on completing the distance, not going for speed.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #1660
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

My plan for summers is make nice with the treadmill. Yes, it's boring, but I'm inside. I increase the elevation so I'm not running at 100% flat, but I stay inside. Once it starts to cool down, I'll take my shorter runs outside around my neighborhood. There's a good 3.1-mile loop and a 4-mile loop I enjoy using.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://arunnershenanigans.blogspot.com/
Old 08-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #1661
mommyof2princesses
Being mom to 2 princessess is a lot of work!

HEy All! Been so busy I haven't kept up. My first half is in October and I am into my training. I now have a midweek run that used to be my long weekend run! I had to do 6 today and thanks to the nasty weather I had to treadmill it. Furthest I have ever done on the treadmill!

Is anyone doing the pasta in the park? Is it worth it? You get to go in Epcot for a bit too, right?

2/2014 Boardwalk Girls only!12/2013 POFQ FD1/29/12 POFQ FD POP 1/11 FD! Disneyland 4/10 POFQ 9/09 FD
AKL 9/08 POFQ 9/07 FD POFQ 9/06 FDg POFQ 10/05 Kids first trip!
Off property Honeymoon Trip 12/00 Off property 4/82 My first trip!
http://myrunningshoeisaglasssliper.blogspot.com/
Old 08-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #1662
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybaker View Post
I'll be at the Rockfest Half too!!

Holly
Yay!!! Glad you decided to do it!!

Amy (DeerIsle) are you doing it, or did you decide not too since you are doing the DL 1/2? Any other NH/ME/MA area princesses interested in joining us?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #1663
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
:
O.M.G. Let me share my Saturday long run..

9 miles was the goal - conditions were surprisingly "cool" for west-central FL: low-80s and humidity around 70% at 6:45am. First half was in full shade and not bad at all - I actually felt really good and strong through mile 5. By mile 6, the sun was up and it was hard to find shade, and the temp was around 90. Tunnel vision, chest constricted, nausea, despite taking in 30 ounces of Nuun during my run, on top of 16 ounces pre-run and lots and lots of water the day before. By mile 7 I felt like I was sweating pure salt and it was burning the heck out of my eye, lips and cheeks. Lots more walking than I wanted to do over those last few miles and at mile 8, I stopped at my pool, pulled off socks, sneakers and iPhone and jumped in for a couple minutes. It cooled me down enough to finish the last mile.

I got into an ice bath immediately after a cool-down walk and sucked down Gatorade 3 and water. All told, I lost 5 pounds on that run, battled a pounding headache for another 12 hours, and am only now starting to feel "normal" again.

So here's my lesson learned/ advice for others: SLOW. IT. DOWN. Yeah, yeah, I already knew that; but I didn't do it. Not enough, anyway. On my short, fast runs, I average just over a 12:00/mile pace; that awful 9 miles averaged a 12:56/mile. Looking at the data, I was running around a sub-10:00 pace during a lot of my run intervals. In retrospect, I was overheated, not under hydrated, and probably pushed it close to the edge of being dangerous.

Ladies, don't be me.

I hereby vow to take more frequent and longer walk breaks on my next run and will run slower, focusing only on completing the distance, not going for speed.

Oh my !!!!! I just can't imagine !!!!!! I'm glad your ok now !!

When I hear things like this I just tell myself.....I love California, I love California, I love California !!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #1664
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
Yay!!! Glad you decided to do it!!

Amy (DeerIsle) are you doing it, or did you decide not too since you are doing the DL 1/2? Any other NH/ME/MA area princesses interested in joining us?
Ooo that sounds like a nice flat half! Too bad I'll be in WDW that morning sleeping in after having finished the Tower of Terror 10miler the night before!
Past Trips: (WDW) 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
Old 08-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #1665
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerAllie View Post
Ooo that sounds like a nice flat half! Too bad I'll be in WDW that morning sleeping in after having finished the Tower of Terror 10miler the night before!
Well, OK. I guess that's a good excuse.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: