Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #1591
kayleesmomxo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
I understand !!!

My DH only has one 6 yr old to deal with and I swear those two will be relaxing in the race retreat tent enjoying their platinum ChEAR Squad perks.

Is the Chear Squad worth it? This will be my first race so I'm not really sure if I need to get it for my hubby and 6 year old as well. It looks nice!!!!

(DH) (ME) (DD)7

Last edited by kayleesmomxo; 07-31-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spell check.lol
Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 PM   #1592
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Two Princes

I'm doing this, too! If you go to Academy or a sporting goods store, they have these larger shower wipes that you can use. They are located in the camping section. I just knew my array of cub scout camping knowledge would pay off eventually. Who knew if would pay off for Disney!?!

I'm going to check my bag of clothes. I can't guarantee that my DH can make it to the viewing spot with my clothes and a 10 and 5 year old.

I'm doing it so that we can have more park time at Epcot. I don't want them to have to spend any extra time waiting on me. I don't want to miss the fun stuff with the fam!
Since we aren't arriving until late Friday and not doing parks on Saturday, Sunday will be the only day we can do any attractions. I think my sis and parents are coming with me. So they will have my stuff. No bag check for me
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #1593
Lauraldawn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa3Princess View Post
Hi,

I stayed in Emerald Island last year and my hubby dropped me off right in front of Epcot where the resort bus let out. I want to say I arrived at 4:30. It worked out fine. I walked over to the staging area and checked my bags. Hubby left and came back at 8:30 am. He managed to see me at the 11 mile maker and then at the finishing bleachers.

Ok, I am totally not doing the Saturday arrival thing again. The house we wanted just did not have availability until Saturday. We only are 450 miles away but with 6 kids that turned into a 10 hour drive.
I am pretty rain mannish when it comes to my Pre race routine and by us having a Sat check in I felt rushed. I got to the expo at 2. We hung out there until after 4 for our house check in. Kids were so exhausted but we still needed groceries and supplies. I normally have panera bagels but the one that was near to our house was way over somewhere. I freaked out about that. Could not get into Olive Garden so we had to order from a local pizza restaurant that delivered because the kids were so tired and cranky. Stopped by grocery store and could not find my brand of peanut butter so I am stuck with store bought bagels and jiff peanut butter. So all this went down and got kids in bed at 10 and I fell asleep at 11:30 for a 3:00 am wake up call.
It all worked out but I was so spazzy that we agreed that it would be best to arrive on Friday. Or maybe I could bring my own stuff from home
I've never done a half, but this was exactly me at a race I did last year. I need specific things (right kind of bagels, seriously) and everything started to fall apart. It ended up being a great race, but it was only a 5k.
We are definitely arriving on the Friday before!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #1594
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraldawn View Post
I've never done a half, but this was exactly me at a race I did last year. I need specific things (right kind of bagels, seriously) and everything started to fall apart. It ended up being a great race, but it was only a 5k.
We are definitely arriving on the Friday before!
Me too I always bring my own stuff from home for race morning when travelling for a race...the kind of bagel I like, Jif-To-Go packets (eventhough it's not my peanut butter of choice, it's convenient and does the trick for one morning), organic granola bar and a couple of quart sized gatorades. Makes for a heavier suitcase on the trip out there with the Gatorades, but it's not so bad. The only thing I buy when I get there is a banana from the food court. It definitely pays off to prepare yourself to have as little stress as possible on race morning...for me at least

ETA: Oh, I bring my own Horizon Chocolate Milk boxes for post race too!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #1595
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Me too I always bring my own stuff from home for race morning when travelling for a race...the kind of bagel I like, Jif-To-Go packets (eventhough it's not my peanut butter of choice, it's convenient and does the trick for one morning), organic granola bar and a couple of quart sized gatorades. Makes for a heavier suitcase on the trip out there with the Gatorades, but it's not so bad. The only thing I buy when I get there is a banana from the food court. It definitely pays off to prepare yourself to have as little stress as possible on race morning...for me at least

ETA: Oh, I bring my own Horizon Chocolate Milk boxes for post race too!
I will also have my own food. I am gluten free and even though my experience in the restaurants has been fantastic, I'm not going to count on them having anything that will be remotely close to what I eat normally.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
Old 07-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #1596
KTE
Earning My Ears

I had my first night of 1/2 marathon training tonight. I'm doing a training program with our local running shoe store with a goal 1/2 at the end of October. It was great- except that by the end my feet were killing me (even though we only did about 1/2 mile more then my usual runs). I'm guessing that it's time for new shoes, but I'm hoping I can stretch the life of these guys out using some inserts maybe. Does any one have any suggestions to make these last or should I bite the bullet and fork over the money for new ones?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #1597
acourtwdw
DIS Veteran

Just got done doing a trail fun run. 3.25 miles in 54 minutes. Trail runs are hard for me since I have to watch where I am going so I don't trip. Tripping 10 months after having back surgery would really hurt me. But I think I found my "on ramp" training. There was a hill that was 308 feet. It was a killer. But there was beer at the end of the run
Places we've stayed at WDW:Carribean Beach, Animal Kingdom Lodge, All Star Movies, All Star Sports, All Star Music, Cornado Springs, Saratoga Springs, Boardwalk Villas, Old Key West, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake Towers, Fort Wilderness Campground, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings

Other Disney Properties:Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Cruise Line, Platinum, baby! (including the WBTA 2010 and Hawaii Oct 2012) and Disneyland Paris
Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #1598
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Hi everyone, running the 2013 Princess half has been a dream of mine since 2009. We are combining it with a trip for our family. I have two questions.. we are planning to stay off-site (probably at Windsor Hills). What is the best way to get to the race in the morning? I can't drive myself since my DH will need our car. Is a taxi a good idea? Are there other people staying at WH that would drive together? My other question is about arrival timing.. we have an 11 hour drive and are planning to leave the Friday before and arrive on Saturday. Will that be too rushed or will it be fine? I am looking forward to getting to "know" everyone as we all train together!
I think it just depends on you and what time you will get in. We are not arriving until late Friday (I am actually a little worried since what happens if our flight is delayed or something) so I have to do everything for race prep Saturday and keep DH from getting too bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
I understand !!!

My DH only has one 6 yr old to deal with and I swear those two will be relaxing in the race retreat tent enjoying their platinum ChEAR Squad perks.
That will be DH if he doesn't over sleep and miss the whole thing. He worries me sometimes. He has NO concept of time. Today he said "I will just get up and instead of taking the bus, I will just walk from BCV to the finish line!" He was so proud of himself for the idea until I pointed out that I will be DONE running before Epcot even opens so he will miss everything. He is rethinking his plan. And he does have the platinum ChEAR package so he better enjoy the perks for that cost!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
I had my first night of 1/2 marathon training tonight. I'm doing a training program with our local running shoe store with a goal 1/2 at the end of October. It was great- except that by the end my feet were killing me (even though we only did about 1/2 mile more then my usual runs). I'm guessing that it's time for new shoes, but I'm hoping I can stretch the life of these guys out using some inserts maybe. Does any one have any suggestions to make these last or should I bite the bullet and fork over the money for new ones?
I think you need to bite the bullet and get new ones. Just think, by your 1/2 in October they should be perfectly broken in!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #1599
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

This thread goes so fast I can't keep up
I did my longest run yet this weekend, 10 miles. I feel great being in the double digits!
Next up for me is a 5k this Friday evening. Its flat and I'm hoping the weather is good so I can PR.
I hope I have everyone added to the front page
Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #1600
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleesmomxo View Post
Is the Chear Squad worth it? This will be my first race so I'm not really sure if I need to get it for my hubby and 6 year old as well. It looks nice!!!!
Really I am not sure. I can't imagine that it is worth the money but we need to make this as easy and convenience for all of us. This is my first 1/2 at WDW and things are SO different at WDW than DL. We also do not know the ins and outs like we do when we run at DL. So that is why we signed up for the ChEAR Squad for my guys and the race retreat for me. Our thinking was to try and make it a little nicer for them while they are waiting for me complete the race. Especially since they will be heading out with me in the early morning. Personally, I just want DH and son to have somewhere a little nice to hang out and the character greeting, cartoons and warm coffee will make both of them happy. Hope that helps.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #1601
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post

That will be DH if he doesn't over sleep and miss the whole thing. He worries me sometimes. He has NO concept of time. Today he said "I will just get up and instead of taking the bus, I will just walk from BCV to the finish line!" He was so proud of himself for the idea until I pointed out that I will be DONE running before Epcot even opens so he will miss everything. He is rethinking his plan. And he does have the platinum ChEAR package so he better enjoy the perks for that cost!!!

Just make enough noise in the morning to help wake him up

Maybe he will get up with you and go with you to the start. They will let the platinum ChEAR squad in starting at 5:30 so at least he can hang out there if he doesn't want to find you along the race route. Then at least he will be near the finish and you will not have to worry.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #1602
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

I was planning on a September 30 half in New England to keep me training through the summer and have one under my belt before the Princess. Now I've got to really ramp up my training because today I registered for the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon on Sept. 2!!!

Still can't quite believe I'm doing this. DH is headed to Anaheim for a work trip late August, mentioned his hotel is right across from Disneyland.... we were able to use frequent flyer points to get me and the kids out to join him.

Anyone here have experience with the DL races? I know you don't get as much park/resort running.... but Angels stadium does sound pretty cool. I'd welcome any advice on speeding up training (I don't want to overdo it, but would like to be prepared) or navigating a DL event.
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #1603
Orcagirl
Earning My Ears

Hey everyone,

Finally read through the entire thread, so figured it was time to de-lurk. I'm registered for the Princess Half along with my husband; it's my third half marathon and his first, but the first RunDisney event for both of us.

This will also be our first time staying on-property at WDW, and I've got a quick question about booking accommodations. A few people have mentioned that they received different room quotes when calling RunDisney versus the main reservation line. When booking through RunDisney, do you have to pay the full amount in advance, or just a deposit? And if you then find a better deal through the main reservation line, are you able to transfer it over easily, or do you have to cancel one and get the deposit back?

Looking forward to running with all of you!

Erin
Old 07-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #1604
mahipp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
KTE, have you ever checked ebay? Now that you know what shoes/size work for you, maybe you could find a deal there?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #1605
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

KTE, also check out runningwarehouse.com They have great deals and if you use the code WISHRACED you can get another 10 or 15% off. I forget which it is. I ordered my last pair of shoes from them and saved $30 off the price in the local running store.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: