Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #136
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahipp View Post
Is there a thread somewhere of people's post Princess reports from 2012? I thought I saw one, but didn't have time to really look at it. I wanted to read them to get inspired and now I can't find the thread again!
Look at our blog to see quite a few posts about the Princess Half Marathon. It is such a fun race and be sure to bring a few girlfriends to make the weekend extra special.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #137
fashionista311
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belledreamer View Post
Decided to get in my car today to see how far 13.1 miles is... It's a lot further than I thought it was going to be... Had the first bit of nervousness of if I can actually do this. Of course it makes me want to keep trying and I keep reasoning that I still have almost a year and have come a long way from where I was before but...

Did any of you have that feeling before you ran your first Princess 1/2?
I ran half #17 today. Even though I knew I was going to take it as a slow, casual training run with a friend, even though I had just raced the distance two weeks before, even though there was no question in mind whether I could cover the distance...I still got a few butterflies this morning! It's perfectly normal to be nervous! I think I get a few nerves before pretty much every long run, and I don't relax until until a few miles in when I remember, oh yah, it's just running. It's what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
Specifically with regard to the princess half, because that is my big goal at this point, should I visit the flat route more often, or the hilly route? I was thinking of doing the flat route twice a week and the hilly route once a week. Thoughts?
Hills are speedwork in disguise. The more you train on the better, since they will make you stronger.

However, what goes up, must come down. On any hilly route, you have downhills, which will definitely give you some aid. That's why it's important to train on some flats if you are planning on running a flat race, so you have an idea of what it feels like to run a truly flat route for xx amount of miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
Does anyone have any races coming up this weekend?

I'm doing a race called the Vesuvius Challenge. It's four miles, and the first 1.5 mile is up hill! It's a hard race, but I've been training on that hill for over a month now. My goal time is 40:00!! I'm nervous!
good luck! let us know how it went!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #138
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

I think someone answered this but I want to make sure. If I do a 10k in September, can I submit my time? Do all timed 10k races count or only specific ones? I know I could do the Turkey Trot in Detroit but I don't want to commit to something on Thanksgiving. Just want to make sure so I can begin setting smaller goals before the Princess.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #139
moparop
DIS Veteran

Count me in too!

I too made a promise to myself many years ago that I would run a Disney half before I turned 40 and I will be 40 in July of 2013, so it's time to get busy! I plan on running with my husband (who has done a half dozen halts and will have a full under his belt by then) and a few girlfriends. This will be a family trip as I went to Disney last fall without the kids. Right now, I am still working out logistics of who will watch the kiddos while we run, but I am sure we can figure something out. Registration opens 4 days before my birthday, so one of my birthday presents to myself will be filling out that form.

As of now, I can do a 5k at a 15:30mm. I have a 5k race in May that I am training for. Between that race and when I officially need to train for the princess I plan to focus even more on speed and overall strength - oh and weight loss. I've dropped 15 pounds since the new year, mostly by wogging (my term for the walk/run) and hope to lose another 40-50.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #140
moparop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
I think someone answered this but I want to make sure. If I do a 10k in September, can I submit my time? Do all timed 10k races count or only specific ones? I know I could do the Turkey Trot in Detroit but I don't want to commit to something on Thanksgiving. Just want to make sure so I can begin setting smaller goals before the Princess.
My family all lives in Detroit and I was pondering doing the Turkey Trot to get my time in. As much as I don't want to run that early on Thanksgiving - I have heard it's a great race!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #141
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes - look back at an answer from either me or Joan4Mickey, but the short answer is that you should be fine with most "official" 10K races. And setting smaller goals before the "big day" is a very smart idea - for me, it was vital!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparop View Post
Count me in too!

I too made a promise to myself many years ago that I would run a Disney half before I turned 40 and I will be 40 in July of 2013, so it's time to get busy! I plan on running with my husband (who has done a half dozen halts and will have a full under his belt by then) and a few girlfriends. This will be a family trip as I went to Disney last fall without the kids. Right now, I am still working out logistics of who will watch the kiddos while we run, but I am sure we can figure something out. Registration opens 4 days before my birthday, so one of my birthday presents to myself will be filling out that form.

As of now, I can do a 5k at a 15:30mm. I have a 5k race in May that I am training for. Between that race and when I officially need to train for the princess I plan to focus even more on speed and overall strength - oh and weight loss. I've dropped 15 pounds since the new year, mostly by wogging (my term for the walk/run) and hope to lose another 40-50.
Quote:
My family all lives in Detroit and I was pondering doing the Turkey Trot to get my time in. As much as I don't want to run that early on Thanksgiving - I have heard it's a great race!
I didn't start running until the month before I turned 40! What IS it about that age that makes you want to get up and DO something?!?! Consistency and challenge are the key. If you just train consistently, the time and strength will come. Also, once you see your time start to plateau, get in the habit of pushing yourself just a little bit - even if it's trying to finish a few seconds faster than your last few runs. Always good to challenge yourself.

And I did a local Gobble Jog here on Tgvg and it was fun! I would like to do the Atlanta Half on Tkgvg this year, but it's a different ballgame getting up early and driving to downtown Atlanta with thousands of people than it is just driving to the next town over with a few hundred for the 10K!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #142
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You can submit your time..just make sure it is a timed event that results will be posted online somewhere so you can printout and take with or send in.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #143
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
I ended up with a pair of Mizuno ones that are super comfy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieandroo View Post
I really like my Mizunos too.
I love, love, love Mizuno! So much so, I've been through several different styles recently, trying to find the perfect match. I started in Wave Nexus 5's a year ago, which are perfect for walking, but as I'm doing a lot more running I need less stability and something better for a mid-foot strike. (It's bizarre - I over-pronate some when walking, but not when running. So shoes that are ideal for my walking gait cause all sorts of problems when running.) I've got a pair of Wave Rider 15's ordered and can't wait to give 'em a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
I had the baby in October and started up again in December!
I ran 7.5 miles today, in less than 1:50!!
That's awesome - WTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista311 View Post
Hills are speedwork in disguise. The more you train on the better, since they will make you stronger.

However, what goes up, must come down. On any hilly route, you have downhills, which will definitely give you some aid.
That's what I keep telling myself... I haven't started yet, but, living in FL, the only "hill" around is a big, big bridge. Like, allowing-tall-sailboats-under-it big. I'm dreading doing hill repeats on that!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #144
amingione
Earning My Ears

Is anybody a member of Fitocracy? I saw that there's a group for the Princess Half Marathon, but it doesn't seem to be very active.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #145
Cripey
DIS Veteran

I'm definitely in for Princess 2013...just wanted to join in and say hi

Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #146
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We could always do a pre Princess Dis meet up down there. I wish it was the weekend before Thanksgiving
Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #147
MaMa3Princess
I need to find the nearest Disneyaholic Anyomous meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I'm definitely in for Princess 2013...just wanted to join in and say hi
This will be race number??? For you. Welcome back

Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #148
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa3Princess View Post
This will be race number??? For you. Welcome back
Thanks! I plan to do Tink again in January so I guess this will end up being half #6 by then!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #149
moparop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We could always do a pre Princess Dis meet up down there. I wish it was the weekend before Thanksgiving
That sounds like a great idea to me!

If you decide to pick a race that is earlier, let me know. My husband is planning to run the Chicago full in October so our fall is being planned around that.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #150
AmberHeartsDisney
DIS Veteran

I am "planning" on being able to run this in 2013!!!
March/April 2007- Offsite~11/29/09-12/07/09-Polynesian (For free! I won a trip)~11/29-12/07/10-Polynesian~5/12-5/17/11 Polynesian~9/16-9/19/11 All Star Music~11/13-11/17/11 Animal Kingdom Lodge Club level - Honeymoon ~11/17-11/20/12 Disney Dream Cruise~11/2-11/9 2013 BLT/AKC (We finally bought a DVC!!!09/2013)~5/5-5/11 GFV~12/6-12/13 GFV

Our Disney Travel Blog
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: