Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
luckyfamilyof3
Earning My Ears

Lightbulb re: discounted Disney gift cards with Target red card

I have seen some postings regarding buying Disney gift cards at Target with the Target Red Card and getting 5% off.

I went to Target today, and they said no, any gift card purchases are not discounted. They showed me the card agreement too that said that. They also mentioned that not even Target employees get a discount on gift cards.

So I just wanted to clarify that. Bummer though!
luckyfamilyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyfamilyof3 View Post
I have seen some postings regarding buying Disney gift cards at Target with the Target Red Card and getting 5% off.

I went to Target today, and they said no, any gift card purchases are not discounted. They showed me the card agreement too that said that. They also mentioned that not even Target employees get a discount on gift cards.

So I just wanted to clarify that. Bummer though!
You should post this on the Budget Board as well if you haven't. I have seen this suggestion multiple times on that board.
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Disfamily0405
Mouseketeer

I think the target employee you spoke with was misinterpreting the rules on the credit card. My husband is an employee of Target, has been for 5-6 years, the disney gift cards are actually listed as Disney Entertainment Cards in their inventory and pricing system and both the employee discount and the credit card discount work on these, I personally have bought $3000 worth of Disney Entertainment Cards from Target over the course of the past year and received my husbands employee discount and Credit Card discount every time. As a general rule with Target's discounts is to try it, if it doesn't work have them void the transaction or return the product...this is what my husband and every Target employee I know has told me, a lot of times the wording says one thing but the system says another, Target employees have to go by what the system says, if the cashier says no, it wont work and wont try then have them call an LOD (Leader on Duty) and complain, don't be afraid to tell them this is not a gift card it is an entertainment card and says so on the rack label. Hope this helps
Disfamily0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Rob S.
DIS Veteran

They may say that but did you try it? I was skeptical until I actually did it. I bought 4 $25 gift cards a few weeks ago. The cashier told me the total was $100. When I slid my Target card for payment, the amount due was reduced to $95.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
luckyfamilyof3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfamily0405 View Post
I think the target employee you spoke with was misinterpreting the rules on the credit card. My husband is an employee of Target, has been for 5-6 years, the disney gift cards are actually listed as Disney Entertainment Cards in their inventory and pricing system and both the employee discount and the credit card discount work on these, I personally have bought $3000 worth of Disney Entertainment Cards from Target over the course of the past year and received my husbands employee discount and Credit Card discount every time. As a general rule with Target's discounts is to try it, if it doesn't work have them void the transaction or return the product...this is what my husband and every Target employee I know has told me, a lot of times the wording says one thing but the system says another, Target employees have to go by what the system says, if the cashier says no, it wont work and wont try then have them call an LOD (Leader on Duty) and complain, don't be afraid to tell them this is not a gift card it is an entertainment card and says so on the rack label. Hope this helps
Thank you for this information. I guess I will return to Target, pick up some Disney cards, and have them rung up. I just figured I would start with asking at Customer Service, and both people there told me the same thing. I know most stores don't discount gift cards (like if you buy a Kohl's gift card, your 20% off coupon won't discount it), so I was surprised at this one. If it works, great!

PS. What is an "entertainment card" as opposed to a gift card?
Old 03-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
sarahandgreg
Earning My Ears

This is true - I did the same last week - $100 card for $95 - as i am saving mine for my xmas cruise, $100 per week will soon add up to a nice little discount.
sarahandgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
luckyfamilyof3
Earning My Ears

Okay. I guess I'm heading back to Target again! I'll post what happens to me.

If it works, we'll be stocking up on Disney cards to pay for excursions and tips.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
jonesmatNY
Mouseketeer

I did it back in January with my target visa card, $1000 worth of gift cards for $950. I just wish they had some bigger denomination cards or cards you could load with your specific dollar amount. It took a while to enter in all the cards to pay down my cruise. Also, for some reason my cruise price went down, and Disney refunded the difference($10) to the last gift card that I used. So save your cards until your trip is done.
jonesmatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
luckyfamilyof3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesmatNY View Post
I did it back in January with my target visa card, $1000 worth of gift cards for $950. I just wish they had some bigger denomination cards or cards you could load with your specific dollar amount. It took a while to enter in all the cards to pay down my cruise. Also, for some reason my cruise price went down, and Disney refunded the difference($10) to the last gift card that I used. So save your cards until your trip is done.
We have the debit red card. I'm assuming if it works for the credit card, it should work for the debit card too?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Disfamily0405
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you for this information. I guess I will return to Target, pick up some Disney cards, and have them rung up. I just figured I would start with asking at Customer Service, and both people there told me the same thing. I know most stores don't discount gift cards (like if you buy a Kohl's gift card, your 20% off coupon won't discount it), so I was surprised at this one. If it works, great!

PS. What is an "entertainment card" as opposed to a gift card?
I am not entirely sure why they are listed as "entertainment cards" instead of gift cards, I can only assume because they are a set amount instead of being allowed to choose how much you want on it, all I know is if you look at the tags on the posts the cards are hanging from it says Entertainment Card and the only Gift Cards Target carries is their own (and you can not get a discount on these.) Also keep your eyes on their Facebook page, I don't know if they will ever do it again but around christmas they offered a $10 Target GiftCard with the purchase of $50 or more coupon, they worked on the gift cards too haven't seen them since though .
Old 03-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Disfamily0405
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We have the debit red card. I'm assuming if it works for the credit card, it should work for the debit card too?
yes it works with the Debit Cards also, so Happy Shopping! but I have heard that the Debit Cards have a daily limit amount or something like that, not allowing more than like $200 or maybe it was $500 worth of purchases? not entirely sure I have the Target Visa Credit Card
Old 03-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
krispykreme97
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfamily0405 View Post
yes it works with the Debit Cards also, so Happy Shopping! but I have heard that the Debit Cards have a daily limit amount or something like that, not allowing more than like $200 or maybe it was $500 worth of purchases? not entirely sure I have the Target Visa Credit Card
How do you apply for a target debit card and how does it work?
krispykreme97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
luckyfamilyof3
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykreme97 View Post
How do you apply for a target debit card and how does it work?
You apply at the store. They will ask for a blank check, and the Target debit card is linked to your bank debit card. You program a PIN for it, and you get 5% off your purchases. We spend so much money there, it's a win-win for us, plus we can send 1% to the school of our choice.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
krispykreme97
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You apply at the store. They will ask for a blank check, and the Target debit card is linked to your bank debit card. You program a PIN for it, and you get 5% off your purchases. We spend so much money there, it's a win-win for us, plus we can send 1% to the school of our choice.
Wow thanks I was just there! Go bye Walmart hello target.
krispykreme97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
Pwac
Mouseketeer

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased the cards in Dallas and in Orlando. I received the discount in both locations. I agree it would be nice if they had larger denominations.
Pwac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: