Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
MeganAnne
Earning My Ears

Need help picking a hotel

Hello everyone! I have been to WDW for more than 20 trips, but I always went with my family and we never stayed on property. This May, my fiance and I are going to Florida to visit sick family and want to make a short detour to WDW for a few days. We just got back from Disneyland, so money is tight, but it is looking like WDW value resorts may be our best option, since we will only have 2-2.5 days in the park and want to take advantage of the EMH.

This is where you lovely people come in. I need help deciding which value resort to stay at. It looks like the All Star Sports and the Pop Century. I'm leaning towards All Star Sports because it's less expensive and as I said, money is tight, but the price difference in marginal ($20-$30) so we could probably swing the Pop Century.

Which hotel would you recommend? Why?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I can't wait until I get to show him the World!
MeganAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

If I were doing an adults only trip, I would pick POP for my resort.

Good food court, does not share buses, and good location to Epcot for wonderful dinners.

I would request the era I grew up in.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
IhrkeFamily
Mouseketeer

Pop is an awesome hotel with great features. If you don't think you can swing the extra dollars you will be fine with All Star Sports. It's the least chosen of the All Stars so usually lower occupancies. Sharing a bus isn't great, but we've stayed at All Stars many times and its never been an issue. During peak times they do give each one its own bus. My choice would be to save the money and buy a cute souvenir instead.

1997 - Stayed with sister who was CM
1997 - Stayed with sister, 1st time with fiance (now husband!)
2000 - Coronado Springs
2002 - All Star Music
2004 - All Star Movies
2005 - All Star Movies
2008 - All Star Movies
2009 - All Star Movies
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside
2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
August 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
IhrkeFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
reindeer
Reindeer

I would (and have) chosen Music for adult only trip. It seems to be the least favorite for groups traveling with children. Sports would be my second choice. I found Pop to be very large and crowed. Even though they do not share buses we were still packed in on every bus. Often could not find a place to sit in the food court. I know several people that love Pop, I just didn't think it lived up to the hype. But, wherever you choose you will have a great time. Staying on property doubles the Magic. Cast Members and Mousekeeping are great at all the resort.
reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
jodywgirl
DIS Veteran

There is the spring offer going on during that time if you go to special offers it will show you what values and when and what the discounts are. We were able to get all star music at 20% off the May 5-10th We've stayed at pop before it is fun and has a good food court but remember you will probably mainly sleep there especially with only a few days. We are excited to stay at music it seems a little more adult than pop and movies.
All Star Movies July 2005 Disney Cruise Line Aug 2005 Pop Century May 2007 Pop Century Dec 2008 Bay Lake Tower Sep 2009 Old Key West Dec 2009 GC Villas June 10 AKL Aug 2010 Boardwalk Villas & Disney Cruise March 11Girls Trip All Star Music May 12 May 2013 Family Vacation SSR Girls Trip NOV 2013 BLT / AKL Kidani

Last edited by jodywgirl; 03-23-2012 at 03:35 PM.
jodywgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
Minnie-Mickey
Mouseketeer

I know you did not say music...but I would say music by far. We stayed at WL-4, OKW-1, BLT-1,movies-1, music-4 and pop-1. I know alot of people like pop but not my family. We found pop to be our least favorite. During busy times the food court is so loud. The gift store and dining room are all one. Lots of noise and kids. We have stayed at WL and music the most those are our two go to. POP is new and the one thing we did not like was it looks like a parking lot. Not many trees and they are small. Music is shaded with lots of trees which just makes it feel a little more like vacation. Things we like about pop...single bus no sharing, frozen coke (me only), and interactive water play areas for small kids. They also have ping pong tables. It is just so much louder. We went to visit sports and it tends to attract school teams. We went once during cheerleader week and if you go that week it will not matter where you stay they will all be loud.
Minnie-Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
justplaingoofy
DIS Veteran

Having stayed at all of them...my favorite is Pop because the busses and also the location. I prefer location of Pop over All stars.
justplaingoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
MeganAnne
Earning My Ears

When I was looking into reservations, All Star Music seemed to be way more expensive, which is why I did not mention it. I will go back and research it again to see if it was a mistake.

Thank you so much for the feedback thus far! I think the cost may play a large role in where we stay, since we'll be barely affording this trip as is. But at the same time, I want to make sure we pick the right hotel!

Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
bnk1120
Forget filet and champagne. Give me chicken wings and beer!

I would stay at POP. Very fun. Good food court , pretty grounds, no shared busses.

Remember that life is short and enjoy your trip!

Counting down to February!

Aulani in August 2015
bnk1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
62win
Earning My Ears

I Like the POP

My DH & I stayed at the POP a few years ago and were pleasantly surprised. It was clean and we really enjoyed their Food Court. You don't have to share buses and it was relaxing walking around the grounds remembering our childhood.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
MeganAnne
Earning My Ears

We're still on the fence as to whether we can afford this trip, but if we do go, we've decided on staying at the POP! (unless a family member gets us a killer employee discount at the DTD Hilton or DoubleTree ).

Since we are definitely visiting EPCOT one day, and debating between MGM and MK for the second day, the POP's location seems to make more sense for this game-plan. We probably won't be eating at the food court (to save money) but not having to share a shuttle is a definitely a nice perk.

Thanks again for your help!

Tags
all star sports, pop century, resort, resort services

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: