Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #646
Cripey
DIS Veteran

I can't multi quote from the app on my phone, but I say to all that are contemplating the DDD, lets just do it! The more I think about it, the more I want to do it...and because of that I can almost guarantee 2013 will be the hottest summer on record here. Bets, anyone?

Cripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #647
helloirishkitty
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I can't multi quote from the app on my phone, but I say to all that are contemplating the DDD, lets just do it! The more I think about it, the more I want to do it...and because of that I can almost guarantee 2013 will be the hottest summer on record here. Bets, anyone?
I will be doing the DDD because I can't stay away.... everyone loves training in the summer, right?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #648
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No that was the summer of 2011!!! Hopefully we do NOT have a repeat of that. Yikes.

I have to get DH to commit to the $$ aspect of the race. In theory he's all "sure, lets DO IT!" but he never thinks about paying for it. LOL

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #649
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey
Darn! I thought for sure this weekend would be my last long run, but it may not be! I should be tapering, but since I got behind, I'm supposed to run 9 this weekend according to my trainer. I thought that would probably be it, which didn't make me too worried since I would normally only go up to 10 anyway, but she said today if the 9 doesn't just kick my butt this weekend she would like to see me do 10 next weekend...so I guess I just won't have any taper at all. I was looking forward to reminding myself through 9 miles this weekend that I was finished with long runs for this race to pump me up, but alas...probably one more.

My tutu should be on the porch when I get home tonight...can't wait to try it on! Maybe I should run in it tomorrow morning!

Also, , but WHY can't I stop thinking about doing the new Dumbo Double Dare that is about to open up for registration? I swore off doing DL again after 2011 due to how MISERABLE it is to train in Texas for a half on Labor Day weekend...how quickly we forget, right?
I thought the same thing about training for the DDD. I remember myself whining all summer about the heat and humidity here in Georgia. Guess I'm hooked too much on these races. Can't resist.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #650
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Bummer...I don't love the tutu skirt i got for the race . It's cute and all but is a little stiff and sticks out in a really strange/funny/very unattractive way in the back. I haven't tried it on with my fuel belt yet and that may actually help to hold it down, but I'm just not sure about it. I'm betting I'll end up with a new Team Sparkle skirt at the expo

Last edited by Cripey; 01-05-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #651
Cripey
DIS Veteran

long run rained out today it was more than a sprinkle! I wont lie, I'm not too disappointed...I was having a hard time waking up this morning and getting going anyway. Weather is clear and cold tomorrow, so I'll definitely be out there...just postponing one day. I'm trying my best to be productive and take advantage of the time. I mean, I was up anyway, so we took down all the Christmas decor and the tree already! Feeling so good about that, so I thought I'd get online for a bit Oh well, definitely more organizing and "spring" cleaning to come today...but I need breaks so I don't wear myself out for my run tomorrow, right?

Oh yeah and we have another diner added to the list for dinner on Friday! Can't wait to see everyone!

Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #652
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh yeah and we have another diner added to the list for dinner on Friday! Can't wait to see everyone!
Great ! Are we meeting out in front or inside the restaurant ?

It's Friday so it will be very busy.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #653
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD

Great ! Are we meeting out in front or inside the restaurant ?

It's Friday so it will be very busy.
I guess out front would be ok? I've only been there once for dinner on my first trip to DL. I don't remember them having a very large waiting area inside, but I could be wrong...it's been a while! Anyone have any suggestions on a good meeting spot, or is out by the entrance good?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #654
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Finally got it done...here's my top for race day...all glitter iron ons!

Old 01-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #655
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I guess out front would be ok? I've only been there once for dinner on my first trip to DL. I don't remember them having a very large waiting area inside, but I could be wrong...it's been a while! Anyone have any suggestions on a good meeting spot, or is out by the entrance good?
You're right there is not a large waiting area inside. And sometimes on busy days they have the check in podium moved outside. So maybe we should meet out front ? There is also cement seating that boarders the planters right out in front.

Your shirt looks great

Are the iron ons easy to use ??
Old 01-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #656
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
You're right there is not a large waiting area inside. And sometimes on busy days they have the check in podium moved outside. So maybe we should meet out front ? There is also cement seating that boarders the planters right out in front.

Your shirt looks great

Are the iron ons easy to use ??
thanks They are super easy...the hardest part, if you can really call it hard, is that on these, each color is a separate layer...you have to iron each layer on separately...which isn't really hard, but you have to remember to do it from the bottom up. The lady I order from always includes an "assembly order" when she ships though so you can follow that...and she emails a link to a video that she has posted online showing exactly how to do everything. I didn't get too complicated this time, but she can custom design just about anything you can come up with...even wording if you wanted your shirt to say something instead of a graphic design. I did my Princess one today too...didn't come up with anything for the back of that one though, so it's pretty plain.

I think just right out in front of Naples is probably the best place for us all to meet before dinner.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #657
CALIFLADY
The Tag Fairy is jealous of you...Japan gets all the good electronics and video games first. Plus, DisneySea is so much cooler than any other Disney park. Can you be my tour guide when I visit?

I've been lurking for weeks, hoping to have GREAT news to post by today. But alas, I think the wheels fell off yesterday.

I ran 10 miles on December 15 and December 21. I bonked a bit on the 15th, but finished strong on the 21st, so I was doing good. Then I got a head cold with some body aches on the day after Christmas. Wiped me out from December 27 until this Friday, January 4, so I missed my 8 miler last weekend. I finally got out and ran 4 on Friday and felt okay, but sluggish.

The odd thing is that my sister, who is running the Tink with me, plans to run/walk it. I've never run/walked before, but after feeling so sluggish on Friday, I thought it was high time to start my run/walk training! I set out yesterday (after religiously checking the weather radar ). Cripey - I live in the Houson Heights, so I bagged my plan of running long at Memorial Park, which would have been a mud hole after the rains on Friday night and all day Saturday. But there were a few hours break yesterday afternoon, so I decided to run/walk in the Heights. I ran 5 minutes/walked 2 minutes, and it went great! I was five miles in and was feeling super. I planned to do 10 miles, but hoped for 12 miles. Relatively speaking, this run/walk stuff was easy. Then right before mile 6, my left calf seized up. Yep. Calf strain. The last time this hit was at mile 6 at the 2011 Wine & Dine Marathon. Sigh. Serious cramping and pain. Sigh. I walked a mile home, took a shower, and pouted all evening.

Now I'm not sure what to do. If I totally rest it for two weeks, then how will I do on race day?!? I'm gonna ice and stretch this week (but cause no pain) and see what happens, but frankly, I'm not sure if I can even walk the half now. Sigh.

Hope everyone is keeping it together here at the end!

CALIFLADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #658
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Well, I did it...i went for 10 today in hopes that gets me a pass to a short-ish run next weekend. It was rough...but i did it and I'm glad it's done. I did it in just a couple minutes under what I did the HALF in last year...that's a little disappointing. I'm looking at probably a 3:15 half now I think. Which, hey, is fine....getting across the finish line is the accomplishment we're after, but I just wish I was where I was last year. Sigh. Something to work on this year, I guess.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #659
Jeffreelancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIFLADY View Post
I've been lurking for weeks, hoping to have GREAT news to post by today. But alas, I think the wheels fell off yesterday.

I ran 10 miles on December 15 and December 21. I bonked a bit on the 15th, but finished strong on the 21st, so I was doing good. Then I got a head cold with some body aches on the day after Christmas. Wiped me out from December 27 until this Friday, January 4, so I missed my 8 miler last weekend. I finally got out and ran 4 on Friday and felt okay, but sluggish.

The odd thing is that my sister, who is running the Tink with me, plans to run/walk it. I've never run/walked before, but after feeling so sluggish on Friday, I thought it was high time to start my run/walk training! I set out yesterday (after religiously checking the weather radar ). Cripey - I live in the Houson Heights, so I bagged my plan of running long at Memorial Park, which would have been a mud hole after the rains on Friday night and all day Saturday. But there were a few hours break yesterday afternoon, so I decided to run/walk in the Heights. I ran 5 minutes/walked 2 minutes, and it went great! I was five miles in and was feeling super. I planned to do 10 miles, but hoped for 12 miles. Relatively speaking, this run/walk stuff was easy. Then right before mile 6, my left calf seized up. Yep. Calf strain. The last time this hit was at mile 6 at the 2011 Wine & Dine Marathon. Sigh. Serious cramping and pain. Sigh. I walked a mile home, took a shower, and pouted all evening.

Now I'm not sure what to do. If I totally rest it for two weeks, then how will I do on race day?!? I'm gonna ice and stretch this week (but cause no pain) and see what happens, but frankly, I'm not sure if I can even walk the half now. Sigh.

Hope everyone is keeping it together here at the end!
Have you tried using compression socks or sleeves? My wife had problems with calf cramps and the compression sleeves helped. Also, are you using any type of electrolytes during your run? An electrolyte imbalance can also cause calf problems.
Jeffreelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #660
booth22
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreelancer View Post
Also, are you using any type of electrolytes during your run? An electrolyte imbalance can also cause calf problems.
A good chance this is the case- we like these and have great success with them- one or two pre-race then one or two every 45ish minutes and you should be able to keep the cramps away - Endurolytes Good luck and we'll see you at Tink!
booth22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: