Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #16
Strawberry's mom&dad
DIS Veteran

VikiHD and DIS north
Thanks for the info.
I read the Jeff Galloway 1/2 marathon. It is what made me think it was possible. Was at the chiropractor today(hip/back problem) Ran Jeff's program by him. He thought it would be good for my hip/back. Plus some core strengthing exercises. So now I have the go ahead.

Strawberry's mom&dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #17
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry's mom&dad View Post
VikiHD and DIS north
Thanks for the info.
I read the Jeff Galloway 1/2 marathon. It is what made me think it was possible. Was at the chiropractor today(hip/back problem) Ran Jeff's program by him. He thought it would be good for my hip/back. Plus some core strengthing exercises. So now I have the go ahead.

That's great news !! Happy training !! Make sure you get some Tink wings to wear.
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #18
Disfan11
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisNorth View Post
I'm just getting started running too! Tinkerbell is my goal, you've got 9 months +, I think (hope) it's enough time to start training.

Jeff's Tinkerbell plan for the 2012 marathon (you can find it on the run disney website) starts in Aug, so about a 5 month plan. I like his theory of running and walking.
When I started training for my first 1/2 marathon I used the Hal Higdon schedule - novice. Check out his web site.
He also has walking ones as well.
I've been using his schedules (now I'm trying the advanced) for over 2 years now.
I agree, it keeps me on track having a schedule to follow (I'm that kind of a person).
I did Tink this year and loved it as well.
I've now done Tink, 2 Princesses and the Disneyland 1/2's. And I have 2 Coast to Coast medals to show for all this Disney running.
Once you do one it becomes pretty addicitive! If I had all the money in the world I'd run every Disney race.
Running Disney races (and the Disney bling -medals) are the best!
Good luck training to everyone that signs up!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
pjpoohbear
Back in DVC point Debt!
Sofa surfed the PC and now the TA on DCL
And … Sofa surfing the world on DCL with my DIS friends

Ladies, I think I am doing the TINK, I really want to get my C2C. So the best races for me time-wise are Tink and W&D 2013. I really want to do Princess too, but I just don't see the $ letting that happen. Fingers crossed that all works out for my plan in 2013.

PJ
1976 off-site camping, & 24 years later '00 CBR, '01 CBR, '01 Xmas ASMus, '02 DCL Wonder & POR, 2004 DCL Eastern & PopC, DVC SSR '04-'54(10/04@SSR, 04/05@OKW - F&GF, 10/05@OKW F&WF-Solo, 12/06 WLV Solo, 10/07 SSR, 12/07 AKV solo), 12/06 CC Double Dip~Magic (A lovely bunch of DISer's), 10/07~DCL Magic, the sister ships meet at Nassau, 05/08 DCL Panama Canal Repo-WB & DLR GC, B-Day F&WF Solo Sept '08, DCL Wonder 4 day and SSR 02/09, BB 3 day Wonder fall'09, DCL WBTA Repo '10, Dream Hallo'cruise 10/11

pjpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Hello everyone...I'm in for Tink #2 in 2013!

Cripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #21
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Yeah...legacy !!!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #22
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Hoping to run it!

I am training for the Goofy and would love the C2C! The DL 1/2 is a bad time of year for me so I am hoping that by the time registration rolls around I have decided.

I know I can always walk it, but wanted more to actually run it, but then they made it the week after the WDW weekend! Oh well, gotta make up my mind....

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
2gr8DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
kim3339
DIS Veteran

I was on the DL 1/2 part of the site and they have the email sign up for reg! It says that reg is going to open on June 12th. Hopefully the 5k won't have the included park ticket this year and the price will be lower.

Then got over excited and checked out to see what the hotels looked like, even though it's early. Sunday nights aren't looking good b/c of MLK. BW Stovall's is starting at $119 but BW Park Place prepaid is only $79 but jumps to $111 on Sunday night. A few others are up and you can book, but I think they're around $119 also. I really wanted to stay at Stovall's this year b/c it's right there, but the price difference is so huge. I think I might leave Sunday night and drive 1/2 way home and stay at a motel on 5 somewhere. I know it's really early, but it'll be interesting to see how fast hotels sell out b/w the race and the 3 day weekend.

Last edited by kim3339; 04-20-2012 at 06:51 PM.
kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
CALIFLADY
The Tag Fairy is jealous of you...Japan gets all the good electronics and video games first. Plus, DisneySea is so much cooler than any other Disney park. Can you be my tour guide when I visit?

Kim-

I've started looking at hotels in the Anaheim area for that weekend, too. I know it's gonna fill fast. If you ran it last year, do you think I can fly in on Saturday (from Houston), get my race registration done and get enough relaxing time in for Sunday morning's race? When I check websites, I find Friday night is the most expensive, so I'm now thinking of doing four nights (Sat thru Tues night), giving me Sunday (post-race), Monday, and Tuesday for the parks, then fly home on Wednesday. Would that work?

CALIFLADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #25
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
I was on the DL 1/2 part of the site and they have the email sign up for reg! It says that reg is going to open on June 12th. Hopefully the 5k won't have the included park ticket this year and the price will be lower.

Then got over excited and checked out to see what the hotels looked like, even though it's early. Sunday nights aren't looking good b/c of MLK. BW Stovall's is starting at $119 but BW Park Place prepaid is only $79 but jumps to $111 on Sunday night. A few others are up and you can book, but I think they're around $119 also. I really wanted to stay at Stovall's this year b/c it's right there, but the price difference is so huge. I think I might leave Sunday night and drive 1/2 way home and stay at a motel on 5 somewhere. I know it's really early, but it'll be interesting to see how fast hotels sell out b/w the race and the 3 day weekend.

For Stovalls, call and talk to Penny the reservation manager. She usually works the mornigns and she's wonderful to deal with. We stayed at Stovalls last year for Tink and the morning walk was great. However, to get back to the hotel after the race we had to walk all around the Disneyland Hotel and near the parking structure to get to Walnut St to get to Katella. Hey, after 13 miles whats a few more-right?
We love Stovalls---we're actually staying there for the DL 1/2.

This year for Tink we have a reservation at both BWPPI and Stovalls. Don't know which one we will keep. I want to check out the course map and race start before we decide.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #26
wvjules
DIS Veteran

DD and I are either going to to Tink or the Princess. We haven't really decided yet. We've never been to Disneyland so that might be what pushes us in that direction.

Do I really need to make hotel reservations now?
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #27
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIFLADY View Post
Kim-

I've started looking at hotels in the Anaheim area for that weekend, too. I know it's gonna fill fast. If you ran it last year, do you think I can fly in on Saturday (from Houston), get my race registration done and get enough relaxing time in for Sunday morning's race? When I check websites, I find Friday night is the most expensive, so I'm now thinking of doing four nights (Sat thru Tues night), giving me Sunday (post-race), Monday, and Tuesday for the parks, then fly home on Wednesday. Would that work?
I think you can come in Saturday. I would do the early flight just in case there's a delay, but you should have plenty of time. The big problem last year was that they were offering Dooney and Bourke purses at the expo and they sold out really fast. The DL expos are smaller than the WDW expos, and you can usually hit the vendors in a hour or hour and a 1/2. And all the hotels surround the resort so it'll be really easy to get from your hotel to the expo and start in the morning. I think that'll be enough time in the park as well. Sunday and early Monday might be more crowded b/c of the holiday, but later Monday and Tuesday you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
For Stovalls, call and talk to Penny the reservation manager.
Thanks Vicki! I'll give her a call tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
DD and I are either going to to Tink or the Princess. We haven't really decided yet. We've never been to Disneyland so that might be what pushes us in that direction.

Do I really need to make hotel reservations now?
Honestly not really sure about reservations. They changed Tink from the end of Jan this year to MLK weekend next year. So I'm not sure how fast hotels fill up. I probably will make resies in a couple of weeks, but I have travel OCD and get overly excited planing my race weekends!

I can tell you that the DL 1/2 is over Labor Day and hotels usually start filling up around June/July. I think the BWPPI is already full Saturday night, but that one is really popular w/ non-running people as well b/c it's right at the crosswalk to the esplanade for the parks.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
wvjules
DIS Veteran

OK so I went ahead and made a reservation at BWPPI. I'd rather have a reservation I don't need then not have one when I need it.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #29
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Remember BWPPI has AAA and even Costco discounts. The Costco discount was new to me. Hope that helps.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #30
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Remember BWPPI has AAA and even Costco discounts. The Costco discount was new to me. Hope that helps.
I got a suite with the AAA discount.

As for training programs, I used Galloway for the Disney Half in 2011 and then again for the Frederick Half later that year and for the Baltimore Half that I ended up not doing due to strep throat. This time I'm going to use Hal Hidgon's Novice 2. I don't think Galloway gave me enough weekly miles.

I quit running in October so I started from scratch with the C25K a few weeks ago then I'm going the Bridge to 10K. Then I'm going straight into my HH training program. I didn't have a goal or a plan after Baltimore so I just quit running. Big mistake! I will run a few days a week from now on just to keep in running form.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: