Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #196
Cari510
Earning My Ears

My sister and I registered for the run this year as a team. It will be our first ever, I'm super nervous but super excited!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #197
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears

Hi all! I signed up for this yesterday and it's my first run ever! I mean, no previous experience with races... OR running! I began the C25k program yesterday and plan on continuing with Jeff Galloway's Tinker Bell Half Marathon plan, so I'm hoping to be good and ready by January!

Since this is my first race ever, can someone help explain what happens in these races? I know there are refreshment stations throughout, and someone mentioned characters along the way. I know there's a minimum pace you have to keep so they don't come and pick you up and take you to the finish. At this point, I don't really care about time... I just want to finish and have fun... and take pictures with all of the characters along the way.

Also, any advice for meal plans while training? I'm currently on the Weight Watchers program and am not sure if that would conflict with my dietary needs for half marathon training.

You guys are the best, so thanks in advance for the help! And I sure hope I'm posting this in the right spot!
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #198
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Hi Janelle! For the race ~ there will be water stops along the way. At each water stop, they'll have water and powerade/gatorade, usually lemon/lime flavor. They usually have the water in the front part of the stop and powerade at the end, and people are usually on both sides. They're spaced out along the course about every mile and a half or so. There'll also be a gu stop around mile 8 1/2~9. If you take a look at the DL 1/2 map, you can see how it's laid out. The course will be different, but the stops are about the same.

With the pace and course, the pace is 16 or 16 1/2 min per mile. (I'm drawing a blank on which one, sorry) and the time starts from when the last person crosses the start line. They will have people at the back when you are close to the cut off time and vans that'll take you to the start when you pass that time. I think someone mentioned the mileage where you'll be safe is around 11 or 11 1/2. But as long as you can stay in front of them, you'll be good. As for characters, they have them in the parks and backstage area. On the street part, they'll have cheerleaders and bands, there's a mariachi band and hula girls as well. The lines for the characters could go either way, but they're usually not too bad, but Tangled had a long line last year. And you do need to bring your own camera, a lot of people carry them and just keep them in their running belts.

As for the food, you might need to eat a little bit more. You'll need more carbs, but make sure they're complex carbs like whole wheat/grain pasta, bread and bagels. You can check out stuff online, or go to the library or bookstore to look at some books to give you a better idea. I just got the Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and 1/2 Training and they have stuff on eating as well as sample eating plans. One of the big things is to make sure you eat w/in 1/2 hour after your longer runs. Surprisingly, chocolate milk is one of the best things after b/c of the right carb/protein mix. Cherry juice will also help w/ inflammation. But since you're doing Weight Watchers, you could probably talk to them, I'm sure they have someone who can help you out.

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #199
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears

Hi Kim! Thanks for the help and information. I really appreciate it! It's nice to know what to expect and how to prepare for success! I think I'll head to the book store to take a look at that book you mentioned. That should really help. I'm really looking forward to progressing though these training programs. I can't even imagine being able to complete a half marathon, so when the time comes and I succeed, it'll be a huge accomplishment! I just learned that a few friends of mine who live in SoCal will be participating as well, but they've had plenty of race experience. I hope we'll be able to complete the whole thing together. That should help with the motivation to finish!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #200
Jeffreelancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabieDuckie View Post
Also, any advice for meal plans while training? I'm currently on the Weight Watchers program and am not sure if that would conflict with my dietary needs for half marathon training.
My wife and I both do Weight Watchers and there are some challenges when you are training for a half marathon. I have done 10 half marathons and my wife has done 25 half marathons so we have a great deal of experience with WW and training. I am also a head coach in the running group I am in (500+ members) so our WW experience goes beyond just the two of us.

The main recommendation I would make is to eat according to your training plan, count the activity and use all of the activity points you earn through the training.

Many people will try to under eat during a run or bank the activity hoping to lose more weight. We have found that you will either plateau or actually gain weight by doing this. Your body needs the fuel during the run as well as after the run to begin the recovery process.

Remember that you are not gaining endurance during the long runs. The endurance and stamina are gained during the recovery period after the long run has been completed and that recovery starts immediately. That's why you need to eat something with both carbs and protein within 30 minutes of your run.

One of the main problems with WW and endurance running is the WW program is not designed to have people doing more than 30 minutes of activity a day. On long run days you could be out there for 3+ hours and gain 20-30 activity points. The WW program does not cover this type of activity. That is why we had to develop our own way of handling the activity earned and the food consumed. The simplest way to look at it is to think you are not on WW during your run and that you need to use ALL the activity you earned that day.

My wife lost 100 pounds on WW and the majority of that was done while training for and completing half marathons.

I hope this helps.
Jeffreelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #201
BabieDuckie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreelancer View Post
My wife and I both do Weight Watchers and there are some challenges when you are training for a half marathon. I have done 10 half marathons and my wife has done 25 half marathons so we have a great deal of experience with WW and training. I am also a head coach in the running group I am in (500+ members) so our WW experience goes beyond just the two of us.

The main recommendation I would make is to eat according to your training plan, count the activity and use all of the activity points you earn through the training.

Many people will try to under eat during a run or bank the activity hoping to lose more weight. We have found that you will either plateau or actually gain weight by doing this. Your body needs the fuel during the run as well as after the run to begin the recovery process.

Remember that you are not gaining endurance during the long runs. The endurance and stamina are gained during the recovery period after the long run has been completed and that recovery starts immediately. That's why you need to eat something with both carbs and protein within 30 minutes of your run.

One of the main problems with WW and endurance running is the WW program is not designed to have people doing more than 30 minutes of activity a day. On long run days you could be out there for 3+ hours and gain 20-30 activity points. The WW program does not cover this type of activity. That is why we had to develop our own way of handling the activity earned and the food consumed. The simplest way to look at it is to think you are not on WW during your run and that you need to use ALL the activity you earned that day.

My wife lost 100 pounds on WW and the majority of that was done while training for and completing half marathons.

I hope this helps.
This helps a lot! Thanks for the advice! I had a feeling I was going to have a slight conflict with WW and fueling my body with what it needs during training. I think what I might do is focus more on training, and less on counting points. I'll still make healthy food choices and watch my portions with certain foods. The most important thing for me right now is that I reach my goal of being able to complete a half maraton and doing it in a healthy way. I have no doubt that I will lose some weight because of the combination of healthy food choices and exercise. It may not be a significant amount of weight loss, but it will still be progress.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #202
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Jeffreelancer, Thank you so much for posting this! I have done WW off and on for years, and have run 3 halves. During the half training I lose pretty much nothing. I don't gain, but I don't lose.

My suspicion has always been that I am not eating enough, but I was finding it hard to trust that I really could eat those 15-20 activity points I earned on the long run days. In fact, I would often guesstimate less activity because it just seemed so wrong. I know our bodies need the fuel, but you would think the 70lbs of fat I am hauling around would be enough, right? LOL

Anyway, thank you. I am going to start eating ALL those activity points (I usually earn 6-7 on a typical workout day... not even talking about training days) and pray that helps get me over this long plateau I have been sitting on.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #203
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Reg #'s jumped again to 88%. So if you on the fence or haven't registered yet, better hurry before it sells out.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #204
DisNorth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreelancer View Post

I hope this helps.
Thanks for posting Jeff. I've been considering joining WW and your post really helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
Reg #'s jumped again to 88%. So if you on the fence or haven't registered yet, better hurry before it sells out.
Wow! It's filling up quickly. good thing I'm registered.

I just need to start training more consistantly
Old 07-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #205
Disneyland_Mama
His head instantly inflated!!!
I don't suck!!! I ROCK!!!
DIS juices are a flowin'!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
GAH! I was on the fence, but that just pushed me over. I was supposed to run it with my running buddy, but she's not too motivated to sign up (ive mentioned it several times already) and I wasn't sure I wanted to do my first 1/2 marathon alone, but I guess I am.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #206
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyland_Mama View Post
GAH! I was on the fence, but that just pushed me over. I was supposed to run it with my running buddy, but she's not too motivated to sign up (ive mentioned it several times already) and I wasn't sure I wanted to do my first 1/2 marathon alone, but I guess I am.
Don't worry about being alone on your 1st race. Out of all the races and Disney races I've done, I've only done 1 w/ friends. You will meet so many people along the course, trust me, you will never feel alone. In all the different races that I've done, I find that the DIsney races are the friendliest. I haven't found 1 yet where I haven't meet or talked to someone new.

You won't regret it, you'll have so much fun!!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #207
Disneyland_Mama
His head instantly inflated!!!
I don't suck!!! I ROCK!!!
DIS juices are a flowin'!!

Thanks, I'm going for it! I figure she'll either jump on board or come cheer me on.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #208
Leskash75
Mouseketeer

Smile Registered and nervous

I am registered and nervous. I am running/walking a 1/2 in September at home. I am currently training about 16 min a mile. I am hoping to get to 14 by the race day. I am so nervous about getting swept. I am hoping to get a good time in September to move up corrals.

Any advice to newbie?

Also thanks for the WW advice. I do WW also.

Jeff - you advise to eat AP but what about WPA points.

Saturday I did the longest run ever of my life - and I was proud of myself - and I earned 13 AP. I had already had all WPA for week. I did not lose either.
Leskash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #209
kim3339
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leskash75 View Post
I am registered and nervous. I am running/walking a 1/2 in September at home. I am currently training about 16 min a mile. I am hoping to get to 14 by the race day. I am so nervous about getting swept. I am hoping to get a good time in September to move up corrals.

Any advice to newbie?

Saturday I did the longest run ever of my life - and I was proud of myself - and I earned 13 AP. I had already had all WPA for week. I did not lose either.
Congrats on your long run on Sat!! I'd love to say don't be nervous, but I still get nervous at races. Just make sure to not give into the nerves and use it to move you foward. If you're at 16 now, you should be fine by Jan. Also, you can move up corrals at the expo as well. If you're 1/2 doesn't go as you planned and you do a 10K anytime before the expo and bring in proof, you can move up.

As for advice, when you're training, don't increase you weekly mileage by more than 10-15% ~ it can lead to injuries. One of the big ones that I always repeat in my head for the 1st mile or so is to run your race. Don't worry about how fast/slow the people around you are going, just get into the pace that you're comfortable w/ and keep at it. If you start running at the pace of the other runners, you'll could go to fast and tire out or too slow and maybe not be able to make it. It doesn't matter how many people pass you, b/c you are going to finish. Don't foget to try and push yourself during training, b/c it can only pay off race day. A lot of people also break the race into smaller chunks like 2 5's and a 5k. It'll sound a lot better than 12 miles to go. The #1 thing also is to remember to have fun. You only get 1 1st race!

Old 07-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #210
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

92% full ladies! Sell out by the end of the week, if not sooner. I am so excited for this!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: