Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #46
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
After waiting so long for the return of MM I was let down and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's Megan. Strange but I missed Betty.

I hate to say it, but I felt the same way.

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #47
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7165red View Post
After waiting so long for the return of MM I was let down and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's Megan. Strange but I missed Betty.
I felt the same way - not sure why. I hate to say it, but I thought it was a little boring.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #48
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

For those disappointed, I think with all shows with a continuing storyline, the first episode after a break has to remind viewers of what was happening, wrap up some story lines, and start new ones.

Usually the episodes are based on one or two characters, this one showed several stories on several characters.

I wonder what is going to happen with SCDP's finances. And I want to see more Of Peggy's personal life.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #49
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post
For those disappointed, I think with all shows with a continuing storyline, the first episode after a break has to remind viewers of what was happening, wrap up some story lines, and start new ones.

Usually the episodes are based on one or two characters, this one showed several stories on several characters.

I wonder what is going to happen with SCDP's finances. And I want to see more Of Peggy's personal life.
I agree. To me they are just sort setting the stage.

I also want to get a picture of their finances. We have a picture of Don and probably Roger living well, spending..etc but Lane's wife is worried about tuition not being paid and mentions he told her not to write any checks. What is that about?
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #50
hellofolks
Earning My Ears

I can't stand Megan!!!

Stacy & Jason
married 9-19-2009

1985 Polynesian resort
1991 offsite @ Orange Lake resort
4/2010 All star Music
4/2011 offsite @ Orange Lake resort
10/2011 offsite
5/2012 offsite
4/2013 All Star Sports

Huge Buffalo Bills fan from Rochester, NY now in Indy since 6/03
hellofolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #51
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmaril View Post
I felt the same way - not sure why. I hate to say it, but I thought it was a little boring.
I felt the same way last night. I watched it again tonight and I picked up more of the subtle that I missed last night. Note to self - Must not multitask during Mad Men.

As to Lane and his finances - my guess is he was not as equiped to handle the additional cash infusion to the company as the other named partners were and he is still hiding it from his wife.
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #52
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment52 View Post
I felt the same way last night. I watched it again tonight and I picked up more of the subtle that I missed last night. Note to self - Must not multitask during Mad Men.

As to Lane and his finances - my guess is he was not as equiped to handle the additional cash infusion to the company as the other named partners were and he is still hiding it from his wife.
That's right..they all had to come up with a certain amount of money for partnership, right?
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #53
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran

I think the company is having cash flow problems-as shown in scene with Lane and Joan-he was talking about when they would get paid for various projects

Very few secretaries-remember the old place-there were GOBS of people all over.

Dont like Don's new secretary-what a frump
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #54
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

Little Mad Men Sidebar:

If you watch this weeks Good Wife episode (Blue Ribbon Panel), you will see Peggy's boyfriend Abe Drexler, playing a police officer. I was watching Good Wife with the hubby.. saw him come on and I yelled Abe Drexler... DH just did this

He looks so young without his Mad Men costume!
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #55
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
That's right..they all had to come up with a certain amount of money for partnership, right?
Yes, Pete had to come up with 50,000 as a junior partner. This was a struggle for him since he had just paid for his apartment recently and the new baby.. Trudy would not let him have any more money, and he asked the bank for a loan- he could only come up with about $35,000. As a suprise turn of events, Don actually paid Pete's share. Don never told Pete, Lane let it slip as Pete asked for an extension. (Season 4- I think Chinese Wall episode).

The junior partners paid 50,000 but Sterling, Cooper, Draper and Pryce had to pay something like 100,000 or 125,000 to meet payroll and operating expenses.

The only reason I think Lane could have cash flow problems is maintaining two households on two different countries. Now that it looks like the wife is in NYC, that should not be an issue. Lane seems miserly, but there are some episodes where he seems to have a lot of money with his Playboy club membership and sipping expensive drinks.

I wouldn't be suprised if he is paying for Toni's living expenses (his Playboy Bunny girlfriend) on the side.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #56
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
Do you think Roger knows? I keep wondering about it..wondering what Joan said or did in that regard.

I loved when he turned to the Young Mrs. Roger and said "Why don't you sing like her?" (or something like it) and she shot back "Why don't you look like him?"

I do think the Don/Megan age gap shows sometimes (and yes he did reveal his past to her I believe...or at least part of it..can't remember all of it exactly)..they actually remind me a bit of a couple I know that has a 13 year age gap between them.
Yeah, Roger knows that Joan's baby is his. She told him she was pregnant, told him that she was going to get an abortion, and then changed her mind. He's a drunk and not that bright, but he can still count to 9 months; he knows that it is the same child. Those comments about the baby looking just like Joan were important; they are little hints about how likely she is to get away with this little deception when Greg comes home (if he does. Weiner could decide to kill him off in Vietnam.)

I think that Weiner is trying to set up a contrast between two May-Dec marriages, Roger's and Don's. Roger and Jane were doomed from the first because the marriage arose out of an affair and was based on Jane's lust for Roger's money and social position. Don and Megan have a better chance because he primarily proposed because she was kind to his kids, also, the age difference isn't as great. He doesn't care about social position at all, and he has even told her the big secret of Dick Whitman. The thing is, Dick's "Don Draper" has always been "older" than normal, mentally speaking. He is preturnaturally cautious and reserved because of the need to protect his deception.

The one issue that I have always had about this show is Dick/Don's age -- it doesn't make sense to me. The real Don Draper died in 1950 or early 1951, at which point he was an officer (a college grad combat engineer) and had by Anna's account been married to her for 7 years. The timeline we are given says that that Dick was born in 1926 and volunteered for the Army to get away from home, but if so, he would have been serving in WW2, not the Korean War, because no single man who joins the Army to run away from home waits until he is 25 years old to do it, especially if he hates his job, has no property, and no one at home is actually related to him. (Besides that, in the Korea flashbacks he is obviously quite young, probably 20 at the oldest, and is fresh out of boot camp.) It seems to me that the only way that this adds up is that Don Draper would be 40 in 1966, but Dick Whitman isn't. I think that Dick Whitman would probably have to have been about 5 years younger than the read Don Draper was.

PS: With regard to Lane, I think that we're going to find out that he has done something financially foolish. Could be stocks, could be gambling, whatever -- I'm guessing that he has somehow lost a whole bunch of money and that he is desperately trying to hide it.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #57
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

About Lane... Supporting Toni is plausible. Or he is trying to cut back on his spending to save money knowing he may be going without pay in the near future bc of financial difficulties at SCDP.

And Megan... Blahhhh. Don't like her.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #58
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

About the age thing, doesn't he say to Megan he's been 40 for 6 months now? Maybe I misheard. But that would mean Dick was actually older than Don, but not even a year. Although I always thought Don was older than Dick.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #59
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Yes, I heard him say he had been 40 for 6 mos.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #60
hellofolks
Earning My Ears

Megan can zoobie zoobie zoo her little butt off the show.

Stacy & Jason
married 9-19-2009

1985 Polynesian resort
1991 offsite @ Orange Lake resort
4/2010 All star Music
4/2011 offsite @ Orange Lake resort
10/2011 offsite
5/2012 offsite
4/2013 All Star Sports

Huge Buffalo Bills fan from Rochester, NY now in Indy since 6/03
hellofolks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread