Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Queen of Oakville
Mouseketeer

Peanut Allergies and DCL (Dream)

I just added this to my review thread, but wanted to post it separately for those who need the info and don't read the other thread:

I forgot to mention how impressed I was with Disney's handling of peanut allergies. My son has consumption allergies. I mentioned this in the terminal when we registered him for the kids club. When we got to our first dinner, the waiter came to me and said he was aware that my son had peanut allergies. I almost fell off my chair, I was so shocked. He even asked me about the severity of the allergy, and whether it is just peanuts or tree nuts too. At every meal, he gave me a rundown of any nut-concerns. The Head Waiter also came to have the same discussion with me. In the buffet, I had to enquire about which desserts were nut-free, each and every time, the pastry chef was called out so I could speak with the "expert" directly. I remember on Carnival Dream, in the buffet line, I asked the attendant, about nuts and was told "no nuts" despite the fact that I could very clearly see nuts in the brownies and in the carrot cake. On most lines, its an inconvenience for a server to be questioned and usually they tell you to just not order the item, just in case. On Royal Caribean, my son was denied the Chocolate Breakfast, because all the chocolate materials come with a nut warning. I applaud Disney for their attention to this.

Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Queen of Oakville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
mommy2twins
Earning My Ears

Thanks for this review!

All three of my kids have severe peanut and tree nut allergies. I have been very happy with the WDW treatment of their allergies. I have been somewhat anxious about this cruise and this really helps! We leave Tuesday on the Dream. I called ahead and had it noted on our reservations. I will also mention it again at check-in... We are taking a four epi pens each and tons of Benadryl, which also doubles as seasickness medicine.
mommy2twins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Alexander
DIS Veteran

Talking about falling off your chair.....DS was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 2 weeks before our April 2010 cruise. I called, faxed, did all the things you do to let them know. Everything was great.

Fast forward to August 2011. I didn't bother to send any information about his Celiac again, I figured I would just talk to our servers when we got to dinner. Well, on the first night, our assistant server came over and asked who was the guest who needed to eat gluten free! I was shocked! They had kept our information from our previous cruise and passed it onto our serving team 16 months later. Did I mention how much I love DCL!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Queen of Oakville
Mouseketeer

Wow Alexander! That IS impressive.

It's funny, I'm skeptical as to whether I will keep our Fantasy reservation, but the more I think back to how much I liked about DCL, I'm more inclined to stick with it.

Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
thismomlovesdisney
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the information. I have a nut and dairy-allergic son and Disney's reputation and experience in handling food allergies is why we chose DCL. The food service at WDW was also very accommodating. Our friends with nut, dairy, egg, wheat-allergic children are traveling Carnival this summer. We aren't sure if their experience will be an easy or safe one...
thismomlovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismomlovesdisney View Post
Thanks for the information. I have a nut and dairy-allergic son and Disney's reputation and experience in handling food allergies is why we chose DCL. The food service at WDW was also very accommodating. Our friends with nut, dairy, egg, wheat-allergic children are traveling Carnival this summer. We aren't sure if their experience will be an easy or safe one...
We travelled carnival with our teen son who has life threatening peanut and tree nut allergies and I was super impressed with the dining room staff and the various quick serve counters, however the buffet staff was absolutely clueless, so we just avoided it, which was not a hardship for us... Room service was great also!

I am totally looking forward to sailing DCL though as I know how great Disney is on land!

Any tips for castaway cay?
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
DisSarahK
Missing Mickey...

We've been so impressed with how Disneyland has been able to handle our son's life threatening nut allergy--that was one big factor in helping us decide on Disney for our Alaska cruise. I just feel better KNOWING that we are cruising with people who are very good at safely handling food allergies and providing good alternatives. Too often people with food allergies just are told not to eat something rather than being given a good alternative--not so with Disney!

DisSarahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
jecskc
DIS Veteran

My daughter has a severe nut allergy, so I am glad to read this thread and that everyone has had good experiences. I will make sure to mention it at check in for our cruise on the Dream in a couple of weeks. I filled out a form for it, but i will make sure to double check. Thanks y'all!!
jecskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
thismomlovesdisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
We travelled carnival with our teen son who has life threatening peanut and tree nut allergies and I was super impressed with the dining room staff and the various quick serve counters, however the buffet staff was absolutely clueless, so we just avoided it, which was not a hardship for us... Room service was great also!

I am totally looking forward to sailing DCL though as I know how great Disney is on land!

Any tips for castaway cay?
I will have to let our Carnival-sailing friends know that they can rest assured that the sit-down dining rooms would be better options than the buffets. With food allergies, aren't we all already accustomed to avoiding buffets. Thanks!
thismomlovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
Queen of Oakville
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismomlovesdisney View Post
I will have to let our Carnival-sailing friends know that they can rest assured that the sit-down dining rooms would be better options than the buffets. With food allergies, aren't we all already accustomed to avoiding buffets. Thanks!

there is a saying "your mileage may vary and probably will". My experience with Carnival Dream was not a good one. There was not one area of the ship's dining options that I found to be in any way attentive to peanut allergies. I also have a consumption allergy for tree nuts. Carnival has a dessert which is called "Apple Parcels in Calvados Cream Sauce". Although the detailed description in the lunch menu makes no mention of it .... after one bite, my mouth started to tingle. There was almond paste lining the pastry. If you are going to use an expensive ingredient like almond paste - put in the description of the dessert!!!!! I caught it early enough that a benedryl ebbed off the reaction. I wrote a very long letter to Carnival about nut allergies (this was also referenced in my comment card). I never got any sort of reply whatsoever. That speaks volumes to me.

I hope your friend has a positive experience.

Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old 07-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
bjazz
Earning My Ears

We travelled on the Disney Dream (April 2012) and Disney Fantasy (May 2013) with our 7yo son who is severely allergic to peanuts and tree nuts and had a positive experience on both trips. Servers in the rotational dining wrote my son's order on a pink piece of paper, separate from our order. Our server was great and actually brought us a menu for the next night's dinner so he could check our order with the chef in advance.

With Cabanas restaurant buffet and pool side dining, we always asked to speak with a chef. Our son was able to eat the pizza at the pool side fast food area - they made his chicken fingers separate from the others.

They do an excellent job with handling nut allergies, but you have to still be vigilant with checking and asking, just like you would in any other restaurant.

At the Oceaneer Club, we always left our epi pens with the staff there and told them to not let him eat anything without our prior approval. They didn't all seem to be aware of the Allerject device so suggest bringing Epi pens becuase they are more familiar with them.
bjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Spwhoney
Mouseketeer

My DS also has peanut allergies. I was SSSOOOOOOO impressed at DCL in dealing with. Never a worry in MDR or buffet, although we did ask about cookies at buffet and they said he would bring peanut free ones for him and brought DS a plate of his own cookies. Buffet cookies didn't have nuts in them, but Im sure other parents now about chocolate chips cookies. The club also called to double check that the menu was ok for DS. Did I say how impressed I was with DCL?
Spwhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

To the person who asked about Castaway Cay, they deliver the allergy meals there just like to the clubs.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #14
Microbe1936
Mouseketeer

The Disney Company's theme parks, resorts, and DCL are all attuned with food allergies. For years they have been leaders with the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network ( now Food Allergy Research & Education). My wife requires a gluten free + additional restrictions diet, and Disney always gets it right! For a very good resource, try the following website - allergyfreemouse dot com. Thank you.
1977 - Polynesian, 1979 - Contemporary, 1982 - Contemporary, 1988 - Contemporary, 1992 - Polynesian, 1996 - Disneyland California, 1996-2001 - Cast Member (Opening Crew Animal Kingdom & Disney Magic), 2005 - Coronado Springs & Florida Annual Pass Holder Begins, 2011 - Fort Wilderness 4x, 2012 - Fort Wilderness 5x, 2012 - Hong Kong Disneyland, First Disney Dream 5N Cruise, 2013. Fort Wilderness - 3x, and Disney Dream 3N Cruise in Concierge

Microbe1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
jenniy
Mouseketeer

This is SO great to hear!! I am very nervous being on a ship in the middle of the ocean if something happened with peanuts.
Do you know about the soft serve ice cream? I keep hearing about it and am wondering if it is a safe food for my son?
So when you go on excursions can you still eat the cruise food?
jenniy is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: