Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #3976
Mickey'sfriend
DIS Veteran

Well, one of my fears in this training process has happened... I am sick. Fever, headache and chest congestion and my ears feel like someone has stuck a knife in them. Luckily I do my long runs on Wednesdays, so that is finished for the week. I had planned on a 8 and 4 mile run this weekend. The 8 is completely out. We'll see what tomorrow brings as far as getting the 4 in. Next week is a drop back week in miles, so I'm glad about that. Good luck to everyone on this weekend's runs.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #3977
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sfriend View Post
Well, one of my fears in this training process has happened... I am sick. Fever, headache and chest congestion and my ears feel like someone has stuck a knife in them. Luckily I do my long runs on Wednesdays, so that is finished for the week. I had planned on a 8 and 4 mile run this weekend. The 8 is completely out. We'll see what tomorrow brings as far as getting the 4 in. Next week is a drop back week in miles, so I'm glad about that. Good luck to everyone on this weekend's runs.
feel better!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #3978
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sfriend View Post
Hope you're feeling better soon. I've got a little head cold, but nothing too crazy. I think it's Orlando crud left over from last weekend.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #3979
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Did 17 miles this morning - the first 14 were fine, but the last 3 my knee started acting up so I did run/walk intervals (walking didn't make the knee ache). I didn't want to do it but I powered through. I think new socks (too thin) were the culprit and made my feet slide around in my shoes. Could be because my mileage is creeping up and my legs are just tired!

Everyone keep up the good work! We are getting close!
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #3980
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

well crud. i ran on thursday and a mile into my 4 miler my knee started really hurting. the outside of my right knee and behind my knee (you know, the knee-pit). thought it was ok so i went out for 10m today. by 4m the pain was excruciating. i was going to just stop but i was 4m away from my house! so, i hobbled/jogged home and ended just under 7.5m. i'm beside myself upset. what is with this knee pain? i've been icing and taking ibuprofen. this has to get better. like...now. i will definitely not be able to finish if my knee/leg feels like this in january. i'm having a panic attack over this!

does anyone have any ideas about what the heck pain behind the knee could mean? or, any links to stretches or other remedies that might help? i'm going to stop running for a few days and see what happens.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #3981
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Got my 18 miles in, well maybe 18.5, I lost my Gps signal under the 8 lane highway and it took a while before I picked it up again.. I have run under that pass a bunch of times and have never lost my signal. So in the middle of a bunch of 10:20 mm is 16.16, but no worries. Just glad I knew my route milage. Weather was so nice.

Nancy I don't really know what's going on with your knee, but you may want to see some one and it does sound like an IT band issue.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #3982
Carolina Blair
Earning My Ears

Ugh...I had a terrible long run today, was supposed to do 18, but ended at 14 since it took me 30 minutes to do the last 2 miles. Around mile 10 my stomach got bubbly and went downhill from there. I'm more exhausted and achy now than after I did my 17 miler a couple of weeks ago.

I know what I did wrong:

-too much fiber last night,
-didn't hydrate properly yesterday and
-went out too fast.

Can someone please reassure that just because I didn't successful finish these 18 miles that I will still be able to complete the marathon? Any inspiration would be appreciated!
1983-Offsite~1990-Grovernor Resort~1992-Offsite~1994-Caribbean Beach Resort~1995-Caribbean Beach Resort~2007-All Star Sports~September 2009-Saratoga Springs~December 2009-Pop Century~June 2011-Port Orleans FQ~October 2011-Boardwalk Villas~January 2012-Polynesian~September 2012-Boardwalk Inn

Next Up:

Disney Races: WDW 1/2 Marathon 2012/Tower of Terror 10 miler 2012
Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #3983
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blair View Post
Ugh...I had a terrible long run today, was supposed to do 18, but ended at 14 since it took me 30 minutes to do the last 2 miles. Around mile 10 my stomach got bubbly and went downhill from there. I'm more exhausted and achy now than after I did my 17 miler a couple of weeks ago.

I know what I did wrong:

-too much fiber last night,
-didn't hydrate properly yesterday and
-went out too fast.

Can someone please reassure that just because I didn't successful finish these 18 miles that I will still be able to complete the marathon? Any inspiration would be appreciated!

You are ready for the big day. We all have a bad run or two or three in a training season. Do not beat yourself up for bailing on a bad day. Of your three choices for reasons, I would think number 3 may be the most likely reason, followed by not being fully hydrated prior to the run. Though any or a combination of the 3 could be the cause of the wobbly tummy.

Take the three reasons you ID'd into the next few long runs and see how they go. I am betting that you will hit your marks for the remainder of the season.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 11-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #3984
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
well crud. i ran on thursday and a mile into my 4 miler my knee started really hurting. the outside of my right knee and behind my knee (you know, the knee-pit). thought it was ok so i went out for 10m today. by 4m the pain was excruciating. i was going to just stop but i was 4m away from my house! so, i hobbled/jogged home and ended just under 7.5m. i'm beside myself upset. what is with this knee pain? i've been icing and taking ibuprofen. this has to get better. like...now. i will definitely not be able to finish if my knee/leg feels like this in january. i'm having a panic attack over this!

does anyone have any ideas about what the heck pain behind the knee could mean? or, any links to stretches or other remedies that might help? i'm going to stop running for a few days and see what happens.

Hang on... You will be fine. While no one can really diagnose what is happening to the knee from afar, you are doing the correct things for most issues runners would have.

I would look for a knee sleeve or brace at Walgreens. The compression will also help with the pain.

If you do not stretch, look at runnersworld for stretches. You need to work to loosen up the outer fibers of the quad/IT band. In addition to stretches look for a foam roller to help loosen up the leg muscle. Specifically, you are looking to roll the IT band and outer quads.

Longer term, you want to strengthen the inner quads or VMO. This muscle tends to be a little loose and under strength in many runners. Squats, lunges, wall sitting are all great at home activities to hit the VMO. In addition, one should look to strengthen the hams and glutes. One of the better non gym ways to hit these is hill running.

I offer this as a help to strengthen a knee that does not have a major tendon issue. Most likely, a doc will diagnose your knee as Runner's Knee. THOUGH PLEASE head to a doctor if this condition does not improve in the next 4-7 days. No one can really say what is going on without actually working with the knee.

Good luck. You may want to head to the doc for a hands on look and a script for PT. At that time he may offer a higher grade NSAID or cortisone injection to drive the inflammation down. He can also direct you to a brace/sleeve that will help get you through this injury.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #3985
Haas4Concern
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy

How old are your shoes? A few months ago I had severe ankle pain and I couldnt finish a 2 mile run. I tried a new pair of shoes of the same model and busted out an 8 miler without issue. Im not sure if worn shoes can translate to knee pain, but its worth a shot.

2007 WDW 1/2 Marathon, 2012 WDW Marathon Relay, 2012 Inaugural Canton 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Ohio 2 Warrior Dash, 2012 Air Force Half Marathon, 2012 Wine & Dine, 2013 Goofy Challenge,Dumbo Double Dare 2013,Dopey Challenge 2014
Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #3986
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post

Nancy, my PT (Chris Johnson) is amazing and wonderful and local. Definitely look him up.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #3987
Terapin
DIS Veteran

I'm a bit behind because of injury but I went out and did 10 miles today. It went pretty well until about mile 8, and the rest of it was a slog as I was already hurting. Managed a hair under a 13min/mile pace overall. Tomorrow is 4.5 miles.

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #3988
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haas4Concern View Post
How old are your shoes? A few months ago I had severe ankle pain and I couldnt finish a 2 mile run. I tried a new pair of shoes of the same model and busted out an 8 miler without issue. Im not sure if worn shoes can translate to knee pain, but its worth a shot.
That's a great catch, also. It can be a link in a chronic injury
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #3989
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Hang on... You will be fine. While no one can really diagnose what is happening to the knee from afar, you are doing the correct things for most issues runners would have.

I would look for a knee sleeve or brace at Walgreens. The compression will also help with the pain.

If you do not stretch, look at runnersworld for stretches. You need to work to loosen up the outer fibers of the quad/IT band. In addition to stretches look for a foam roller to help loosen up the leg muscle. Specifically, you are looking to roll the IT band and outer quads.

Longer term, you want to strengthen the inner quads or VMO. This muscle tends to be a little loose and under strength in many runners. Squats, lunges, wall sitting are all great at home activities to hit the VMO. In addition, one should look to strengthen the hams and glutes. One of the better non gym ways to hit these is hill running.

I offer this as a help to strengthen a knee that does not have a major tendon issue. Most likely, a doc will diagnose your knee as Runner's Knee. THOUGH PLEASE head to a doctor if this condition does not improve in the next 4-7 days. No one can really say what is going on without actually working with the knee.

Good luck. You may want to head to the doc for a hands on look and a script for PT. At that time he may offer a higher grade NSAID or cortisone injection to drive the inflammation down. He can also direct you to a brace/sleeve that will help get you through this injury.
thank you coach, for taking the time to write this out. i will follow through with your advice. i'm going to try to find a sports medicine person asap rather than wait the 4-7 days since knowing nyc it will take me at least that time to get an appointment! thank you!

Quote:
my shoes are actually almost brand new! i picked up a new pair from the running store after i stupidly ran 17 miles on ridiculously old shoes. that mistake left me with shin splints that killed (and still hurt even now). thanks for that advice....maybe my knee hurts because i'm getting used to the shoes? don't know. the knee still hurts even hours and hours after i ran so i don't know if it's the shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Nancy, my PT (Chris Johnson) is amazing and wonderful and local. Definitely look him up.
hi amy - is he the one on 27th street? wonder if i need to get a prescription from a doc first to go to him? i like his website. looks like he has runners in mind aka doesn't just say, "oh just stop running for a few months". thanks for this recommendation. do you have a sports medicine doc you can recommend? i've heard dr. rosen is good. i just need someone who can see me right away. i don't care if it takes me the whole time to do this marathon, i just would prefer it not to!
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #3990
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Amen to the shoes! I have had that happen on far too many occasions. Though I log miles in my running journal, I often forget to get new ones when I should. Nagging aches and pains remind me.

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: