Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #3856
kmg148
DIS Veteran

I am SO behind! My longest run has been 12 miles and that was a while ago. I've done 9, 10 and 11 miles, but they have also been a while ago.

My work schedule has been so intense that I had to join a gym that has longer hours to try and get more long runs in. I'm freaking out at this point--because I'm pretty sure I'm screwed!

I don't have another free day this week to do a long run and haven't run in 2 weeks. I thought about cutting back from the Galloway plan to not hit 26 miles, but I'm very worried that I'm too out of shape to do this. I'm hoping I can do it! I need to get my head back in the game!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #3857
garner384
Earning My Ears

So I ran a Marathon 3 weeks ago and had so knee pain during the race, I was able to finish with by changing my stride(the knee pain mostly went away with a heel strike). So I then took about 3 weeks off and ran 4 miles Thursday and 8 Sunday, without pain. I think I am going to be able to get ready for Goffy but will feel much better if I can get a solid 12 in this weekend.

I also started to try the Iron Strength workout to try to strengthen some underused muscles. That workout is HARD. I had trouble getting into a chair for two days afterward.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #3858
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

kmg148 Don't freak out yet! There is still time to do this. I am not a Galloway user, so I can't recommend modifications to your plan, but there are still 2 months to get in solid training. You may have to modify your expectations about race performance, but you can still finish.

garner384Glad to hear you are pain free and running so well after your marathon. You must be one of those "quick recoverers"--unlike some of us. I also tried to incorporate some of the Iron Strength moves into my workout. I haven't been healthy enough this year to do the whole workout as defined, so I just have picked and chosen what I could.

Off to the gym to run an easy 4. Still building back up the mileage. Last week was 12 (yes, it is piddly, but it is what it is!)

Maura
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #3859
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
I am SO behind! My longest run has been 12 miles and that was a while ago. I've done 9, 10 and 11 miles, but they have also been a while ago.

My work schedule has been so intense that I had to join a gym that has longer hours to try and get more long runs in. I'm freaking out at this point--because I'm pretty sure I'm screwed!

I don't have another free day this week to do a long run and haven't run in 2 weeks. I thought about cutting back from the Galloway plan to not hit 26 miles, but I'm very worried that I'm too out of shape to do this. I'm hoping I can do it! I need to get my head back in the game!
Negative there... Trust me you are not to the point of being hopelessly lost. Letís map out a recovery plan and see if we can toe the line together on race day.

I am assuming that you are running some. So letís see if we can put a few APPOINTMENTS on your schedule. Put them into your smart phone and one any other calendar so that they will be there to bug you.

Let's try for 10 this weekend. The remainder of these suggested distances are based on getting to 10. If you get 10 on the 17th, shoot for 12-14 on the 24th. Head back to 10 on the 1st and 16 on the 8th. then 10 on the 15th and 16-18 on the 22nd. Finally, 12-14 on the 29th and 6-10 on the 5th.

This is not optimal. This will get you to a long distance that will get you to the start on Jan 13 and give you a chance for crossing the finish.

Hang in there...
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #3860
bigdave10000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Negative there... Trust me you are not to the point of being hopelessly lost. Letís map out a recovery plan and see if we can toe the line together on race day.

I am assuming that you are running some. So letís see if we can put a few APPOINTMENTS on your schedule. Put them into your smart phone and one any other calendar so that they will be there to bug you.

Let's try for 10 this weekend. The remainder of these suggested distances are based on getting to 10. If you get 10 on the 17th, shoot for 12-14 on the 24th. Head back to 10 on the 1st and 16 on the 8th. then 10 on the 15th and 16-18 on the 22nd. Finally, 12-14 on the 29th and 6-10 on the 5th.

This is not optimal. This will get you to a long distance that will get you to the start on Jan 13 and give you a chance for crossing the finish.

Hang in there...
KMG148 -- This is great advice. The only thing I would add is some tips on fitting them in. I am a morning runner only because if I didn't run in the morning I wouldn't have time to consistantly get the runs in. I have to leave for work at 8:15 AM. I am out the door for a run sometime between 4:30 and 5:30 AM depending on how far I am going that day. I have even started at 3:30 before.

My Wish Journal

"To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the Gift" Steve Prefontaine
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #3861
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave10000 View Post
KMG148 -- This is great advice. The only thing I would add is some tips on fitting them in. I am a morning runner only because if I didn't run in the morning I wouldn't have time to consistantly get the runs in. I have to leave for work at 8:15 AM. I am out the door for a run sometime between 4:30 and 5:30 AM depending on how far I am going that day. I have even started at 3:30 before.
YES. I became a morning runner this year and I honestly think it makes things SO much easier. I get my runs done in the morning before work and that's it - don't have to think about it for the rest of the day and there's less chance of me scheduling it for after work, then coming home and deciding that I can't get my butt off the couch to get it done (so yeah, it's not that I don't have time to do it after work...but my motivation is way down when I get home in the evening ). It really makes me feel like marathon training isn't completely taking over my life. The only crappy part is (obviously) getting up early but I think I'm used to it now...I THINK.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #3862
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

I'm an afternoon/night runner. My body simply does not want to train in the morning, and I (usually) don't make it. I can race in the morning fine. Disney is a special circumstance, because no matter how early you train, you're never going to be able to practice getting up at 1:30 am, sitting on a bus, and then a 20 minute walk to a corral.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #3863
Haas4Concern
Mouseketeer

Do you morning runners wear lights when you run that early? I want to do some morning running but its still dark when I leave for dayshift.

2007 WDW 1/2 Marathon, 2012 WDW Marathon Relay, 2012 Inaugural Canton 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Ohio 2 Warrior Dash, 2012 Air Force Half Marathon, 2012 Wine & Dine, 2013 Goofy Challenge,Dumbo Double Dare 2013,Dopey Challenge 2014
Old 11-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #3864
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I'm an afternoon/night runner. My body simply does not want to train in the morning, and I (usually) don't make it. I can race in the morning fine. Disney is a special circumstance, because no matter how early you train, you're never going to be able to practice getting up at 1:30 am, sitting on a bus, and then a 20 minute walk to a corral.
You are one of the few who rises before me... I always feel for the west coast & HI folks... The ones who are getting up for the race before their normal bedtime.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #3865
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haas4Concern View Post
Do you morning runners wear lights when you run that early? I want to do some morning running but its still dark when I leave for dayshift.
Lights, no. Reflective Vest/belt, yes. But let me qualify this as I run in a well lit subdivision. If I though footing were to be an issue, then I would carry a small light. I have a 2 AA cell Maglight what came in a belt pouch and a head lamp I use for adventure races to choose from.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #3866
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
You are one of the few who rises before me... I always feel for the west coast & HI folks... The ones who are getting up for the race before their normal bedtime.
This year I might get up a bit later since I'm staying at GF. But at AKL, a 3am bus ride necessitated a 1:30 wakeup. Coffee had to go in and out.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #3867
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This year I might get up a bit later since I'm staying at GF. But at AKL, a 3am bus ride necessitated a 1:30 wakeup. Coffee had to go in and out.
Definitely got to get the system up and running. I actually build a shower into the plans, also.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #3868
roomthreeseventeen

Quote:
Definitely got to get the system up and running. I actually build a shower into the plans, also.
Yep, shower, as well. Don't like stinky runners before you run!

Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #3869
halvnorsk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yep, shower, as well. Don't like stinky runners before you run!
Speaking of stinky runners . . . This reminds me of that long, crowded walk to the corrals where you are shoulder to shoulder like cattle going down a chute with no where to escape. I remember thinking that some runners most be trying to conserve energy and naturally propel themselves to the start line. I was having some trouble breathing if you know what I mean.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #3870
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

Ok, so on race day, the half starts at 530, so I should plan on getting on the bus about 330? Oh dear Lord this is gonna suck.
Especially since we're coming in the day before, which means little sleep, leaving for the airport at 430am. Why exactly did I sign up for this??

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: