Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #3406
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
Home from my first 17 miler! Holy hell that was hard! I had to walk a few times. My stomach was really hurting. I managed a 11:25 min/mile pace even with all the walking. I ran downtown (usually just run in the Bronx) and ran into the Avon cancer walk. Great to see all those people moving for a good cause. Only bad thing was they were all sitting on the walkways and I tripped over a dog's leash and fell at mile 16. I caught myself funny and hurt my shoulder. Wah!

I'm taking from this run the very important motto of "just keep moving forward!". Everything hurts but I did it!

I thought I'd run by Amy but no such luck!
Ouch. I hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly. Ran 17 today too and now have caught up to the training program. The run-walk method really has been helping us survive these long runs This is only the second time we use this method and I think we're converts. It does get harder to get back to running by the end, but I rather have the breaks

And now for a humor break. A number of ads that long distance runners will enjoy: http://www.chayden.net/Runs/Adidas/ *edited to add, that the first ad may not be suitable for work/children. Still funny though*
Old 10-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #3407
Goofierunner
Mickey says, "Now get out there and run!"

Dogs and I are chillin' on the couch after my long run today. I changed my route and still ended up with 18. Very breezy with temps in the 40s with plenty of hills so I was really struggling out there. At about 9.5 miles I stopped at home for a potty break and got some gloves because my hands were like blocks of ice and hurting. From mile 15 on, it was easier for me to keep running through my walk breaks because my calves were starting to complain when I would slow down. I haven't figured out my time yet but I think I'm around my goal. When I hit 13.1 I was right at my last half marathon time.

Now where's that Advil?

First I do this Then I do this but I wish I was at
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #3408
Goofierunner
Mickey says, "Now get out there and run!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
And now for a humor break. A number of ads that long distance runners will enjoy: http://www.chayden.net/Runs/Adidas/ *edited to add, that the first ad may not be suitable for work/children. Still funny though*
Ok those are spot on!

First I do this Then I do this but I wish I was at
Old 10-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #3409
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer

Did 10 miles (in 2:41:05) today with a 16:07 pace! I am getting closer to my goals (and further away from the "sweeper" truck)!

Normally I put in all my effort and walk/run with no particular intervals as long as my distance is 6 miles or less. With the longer ones I normally walk the first half at about 15:30 and then walk/run the last half. It seems to make me slower in the second half(or it could just be the fatigue setting in?). What are your thoughts on just walking? If I can go faster the whole time just walking I might do that. Or is it possible that maybe doing timed intervals could help? My main thing is I don't want to have to be looking at my garmin all the time because it makes the time go by so slowly. Thoughts?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #3410
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post

I thought I'd run by Amy but no such luck!
Saturdays I'm usually in Central Park in the afternoons
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #3411
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen

You could email him and ask, but I bet he would say you should change your ratio. 20/40 is normally reserved for slower beginners with less endurance than you seem to have. But if it works for you, keep it.
Thanks, I was thinking that myself. Heck, if I can manage 12 minute miles with that ratio, I should be in pretty good shape away from the sweepers!

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
Old 10-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #3412
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

For everyone who is worried about the mileage increases (full and half) just think back to when you thought a 5k was an insanely long distance. It's a nice reminder that with training, effort and dedication we can do this. It doesn't hurt to curse the mouse, either, because let's be honest he's the reason we've lost our minds in the first place.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #3413
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001
For everyone who is worried about the mileage increases (full and half) just think back to when you thought a 5k was an insanely long distance. It's a nice reminder that with training, effort and dedication we can do this. It doesn't hurt to curse the mouse, either, because let's be honest he's the reason we've lost our minds in the first place.
Lol i totally blame the mouse!!!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #3414
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112 View Post
Did 10 miles (in 2:41:05) today with a 16:07 pace! I am getting closer to my goals (and further away from the "sweeper" truck)!

Normally I put in all my effort and walk/run with no particular intervals as long as my distance is 6 miles or less. With the longer ones I normally walk the first half at about 15:30 and then walk/run the last half. It seems to make me slower in the second half(or it could just be the fatigue setting in?). What are your thoughts on just walking? If I can go faster the whole time just walking I might do that. Or is it possible that maybe doing timed intervals could help? My main thing is I don't want to have to be looking at my garmin all the time because it makes the time go by so slowly. Thoughts?
I would suggest you work on perfecting your walking stride since walking is much easier on the body and will help to make you faster when you finally get into the Galloway Method. Paying close attention to your stride and perfecting it could easily put you in the 13mpm/14mpm pace range, or faster.

Up to the ToT 10 miler, I have only walked my races. 4:56:28 for the 2011 Mickey Marathon, my first full and the last race of my first Dopey weekend then last November a 2:11:12 for the Space Coast Half Marathon.

I am now starting to jog after 32 months of walking training. I perfected my stride to achieve my maximum walking pace because I had no other choice due to bad knees. Now that I am adding jogging I find that I still walk faster than jogging so I will mix the two during my first Half Ironman Triathlon next Sunday.

Good luck and if you have walking questions, just ask.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #3415
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
Saturdays I'm usually in Central Park in the afternoons
aw, darn! i did a lap of central park and then down the west side highway and back. i'm a morning runner (you know, kids and stuff) but one day i'm sure we'll run into each other
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #3416
Lindsey2065
Earning My Ears

Where do we submit times again? I emailed run Disney with my 10 miler chip time a week ago and I have had no response.
First Trip 1982 Fort Wilderness, 1989 Fort Wilderness, 1991 Disneyland, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2007 Disneyland, 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2008 Fort Wilderness Cabins, 2009 Contemporary, 2009 Swan, 2010 MK and Western Carribbean Disney Magic Cruise, 2010 Carribean Beach, 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge, August 13, 2012 Disney Wonder Alaska Cruise, Completed 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon on January 13,2013!!! January 2013 AKL, June 15, 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern
Old 10-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #3417
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman View Post
Getting ready to head to Detroit for the night to run my 5th half marathon this year. One step closer to running my first marathon at WDW in January. Looking forward to the run over the bridge tomorrow morning into Canada for the international part of the race.
I'll be there too! I'm so excited and nervous for the race I'm pretty sure I'm not going to sleep all that well tonight. Good luck and I hope you have a great race
Old 10-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #3418
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio

Ouch. I hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly. Ran 17 today too and now have caught up to the training program. The run-walk method really has been helping us survive these long runs This is only the second time we use this method and I think we're converts. It does get harder to get back to running by the end, but I rather have the breaks

OMG! Those are Priceless!!!! LOL
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 10-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #3419
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey2065
Where do we submit times again? I emailed run Disney with my 10 miler chip time a week ago and I have had no response.
You send that info to disneysports@trackshack.com
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 10-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #3420
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Hey everyone,
Hope the long runs went well this weekend (or go well tomorrow). I'm behind on my long runs - nothing over 12, though I should hit 14 this week, and 16 the week after, which will just about get me back on track. I'm not worried about time, only finishing - I plan on taking a camera this time, and taking some pics, so no PR for me.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: