Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #3361
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
I am VERY curious to try P90X...my husband is as well and we talk about buying it from time to time, but we both always end up balking at the price. That and I know I'd want to cut the workouts down from an hour (they are an hour, right?) and do them 2-3 times per week, so I definitely would not be taking full advantage of the program/follow it correctly.

I remember doing plyometrics in high school/college athletics and HATING every second, so I can imagine your daughter's soccer team's reactions!! They just don't know what's good for them!

We were lucky because DH's baby brother is a personal trainer (too far from home for me to take advantage, ) and he bought it and then passed it to us. It's a great program but like anything else, it does take some dedication. Ssssh. Don't tell Tony Horton, but if you Google the workouts, you will find them listed online.

I did it the first time for 90 days at a modified pace and it did work but I started slacking. It's a lifestyle and you need to stick with it. Since we're about 90 days out, I'm going to start again. I remember not being able to get through the warm-up and now I can do the whole Plyo video. Even P90x Yoga is ridiculous and I have not been able to get through the whole thing. I do love doing the Kempo portion. Of course it would be nicer if DH was home more often and we could do it together like we used to, but alas, hate crimes are up in the city and he's always working, but that's a topic for another board. I swear if he works overtime on our anniversary tomorrow, I'm going to be a single lady again.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #3362
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484

My times HAVE improved, but I think that was more due to losing weight (30 lbs+ and counting) over this past year. I think the strength training has helped more from an injury prevention perspective and probably helped with the weight loss as well.

Best example of pace difference...for a 10-mile race in 2011 and 2012 (same course):

2011 - 1:54:11 (11:25/mile)
2012 - 1:39:07 (9:55/mile)

Again I think this pace difference can mostly be explained by weight loss. I do remember thinking that my legs felt stronger than I expected in the 2012 race overall and especially on hills, probably thanks to Iron Strength. Sorry if this doesn't really help/answer your question!
That is AWESOME!
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #3363
StarGirl11
DIS Veteran

Slight disappointment this weekend. I came to terms that I am not ready to tackle another full yet (the last full I completed was the San Francisco Full in July of last year). I had a blast doing the Nike Woman's Half Marathon in San Francisco but it made me realize even if I could get myself up to the 16 minute lick for all 26.2 (capable for 13.1 not so much for 26.2) I need to actually be going faster. In case I lose 20 minutes at a medical aid station (had a huge leg cramp in mile 8, than pulled the same leg muscle in mile 12) like I did this weekend. So I'm stepping back and keeping at half for now. -sigh- And I really wanted the 20th anniversary medal too. But it's better too finish than to start and not be able to finish due to things happening along the course.

Weight's been playing a part in my wacky timing. Hoping to lose some before January. Anyway I have a phone call to RunDisney to make to see if I can get my registration and pasta party tickets switched.

Also worried about my shins, its Wednesday, the race was on Sunday morning. Normally my soreness is gone by now but my shins still hurt.

Finished RunDisney Races: Princess 2012, Tinkerbell 2012-2014, Disneyland Half 2011-2012, Dumbo Double Dare 2013-2014, Wine and Dine 2013-2014, Avengers 2014, Disneyland 5k 2012 & 2014, WDW 5k 2012
Finished Races: Nike Women's Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Marathon 2011, Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon 2011, Santa Anita Derby 5k 2011-2014, Golden Gallop 10k 2013, Surf City 10k 2013, Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon 2011, Rock 'n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon 2011, 9/11 Remembrance Run Half Marathon 2011, Race On the Base 10k 2014, Innovation Run 5k 2014, Grand Prix of Running 10k, LA Quarter Marathon 2014, Wounded Warriors Half Marathon, and other races I am missing off the top of my head
Old 10-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #3364
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGirl11 View Post
Also worried about my shins, its Wednesday, the race was on Sunday morning. Normally my soreness is gone by now but my shins still hurt.
Did you ice and elevate?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #3365
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
We were lucky because DH's baby brother is a personal trainer (too far from home for me to take advantage, ) and he bought it and then passed it to us. It's a great program but like anything else, it does take some dedication. Ssssh. Don't tell Tony Horton, but if you Google the workouts, you will find them listed online.

I did it the first time for 90 days at a modified pace and it did work but I started slacking. It's a lifestyle and you need to stick with it. Since we're about 90 days out, I'm going to start again. I remember not being able to get through the warm-up and now I can do the whole Plyo video. Even P90x Yoga is ridiculous and I have not been able to get through the whole thing. I do love doing the Kempo portion. Of course it would be nicer if DH was home more often and we could do it together like we used to, but alas, hate crimes are up in the city and he's always working, but that's a topic for another board. I swear if he works overtime on our anniversary tomorrow, I'm going to be a single lady again.
Happy Anniversary!

Truly, I'd love to try P90X someday, but right in the middle of marathon training doesn't seem like the best time for my to jump into something new, ya know?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRookie View Post
That is AWESOME!
Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGirl11 View Post
Weight's been playing a part in my wacky timing. Hoping to lose some before January. Anyway I have a phone call to RunDisney to make to see if I can get my registration and pasta party tickets switched.

Sorry to hear about this. The transfer date isn't until December 1, maybe give yourself another week or two to recover from this other half and re-assess? Of course, only you know what is right for YOU.

About your shins...are your shoes old, or do you maybe need to get re-fitted for a different pair?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #3366
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Heard back from runDisney about our submitted time from the 12K we ran. I had initially just entered 5 hours as an estimated completion time for the full since that was the lowest I could put in without providing proof of time. They responded that they had entered my time and now gave me an estimated finish time of 4:44. Not much less than I put in, but I assume enough to keep me out of the last corral and that was really my only goal. So
Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #3367
DISaholic's
Mouseketeer

Last year I put in a predicted finish of 4:45 with a proof of time of a full marathon at 4:30 and I was in corral C'. Way far from the last one . Hoping for the same this year.

1974 Contemporary, 1976 Polynesian, 1981 Disney Village, 1983 Offsite
1984 One day EPCOT, 1990 Disney Inn - Honeymoon
1993 Dixie Landings, 1997 Dixie Landings, 1999 Dixie Landings (Now PORS)
2002 Boardwalk
2006 POP/OKW
2010 POR/OKW
2012 CBR and 2012 WDW Marathon finisher
2013 CBR and 2013 WDW Marathon finsiher
2013 Disney Cruise - Disney Dream

Upcoming January 2014 Disney Dream Cruise - Nephew's wedding onboard
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #3368
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

My 2011 walking marathon time of 4:56:28 got me into corral C for 2012. 2011 was my first marathon to complete my first Dopey Weekend at the ripe old age of 60.5. Looking forward to 2013, my 3rd Dopey Weekend. Of course this is providing I don't drown during my first Half Ironman next weekend.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #3369
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
My 2011 walking marathon time of 4:56:28 got me into corral C for 2012. 2011 was my first marathon to complete my first Dopey Weekend at the ripe old age of 60.5. Looking forward to 2013, my 3rd Dopey Weekend. Of course this is providing I don't drown during my first Half Ironman next weekend.
WOW!! Please let us know how the Half Ironman goes! I have always wanted to do that. Good luck to you!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #3370
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB
Heard back from runDisney about our submitted time from the 12K we ran. I had initially just entered 5 hours as an estimated completion time for the full since that was the lowest I could put in without providing proof of time. They responded that they had entered my time and now gave me an estimated finish time of 4:44. Not much less than I put in, but I assume enough to keep me out of the last corral and that was really my only goal. So
I recently sent in a half marathon time to put in for the Goofy challenge & got the reply back that it was taken care of but I never got an expected finish time back for the marathon

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #3371
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

Splash Mountain will be down for refurb during marathon weekend, starting just days before the marathon weekend starts.

Why can't they keep it open through Marathon weekend and THEN start the refurb? It would seem the smarter thing to do, with the higher crowds that weekend.

Maybe the refurb schedulers just aren't clued in to marathon weekend.

(edited bc I was wrong about BTMM being down too, so I took that part out! Also... one ride being down is not as big of a deal, I originally thought it was two right next to each other. Never mind! )

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Last edited by sunshine girl; 10-18-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #3372
regul8ter18
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
Argh. I just learned that both Splash Mountain AND Big Thunder Mountain will be down for refurb during marathon weekend, with both of these several-month-long refurbs starting just days before the marathon weekend starts.

Why can't they keep the rides open through Marathon weekend and THEN start the refurbs? It would seem the smarter thing to do, with the higher crowds that weekend.

Maybe the refurb schedulers just aren't clued in to marathon weekend.

Are sure that is the Big Thunder Mountain in disney world. The one in Disneyland is also being refurbed
Old 10-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #3373
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by regul8ter18

Are sure that is the Big Thunder Mountain in disney world. The one in Disneyland is also being refurbed
Oooh I think you're right, that one may be DL. That makes me feel better! Though I still feel like they could keep Splash open for just one more week to help out the marathon folks!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #3374
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post

Happy Anniversary! Its mine and DH's anniversary today too! 15 years, and we went to WDW for our honeymoon.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #3375
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH

Happy Anniversary! Its mine and DH's anniversary today too! 15 years, and we went to WDW for our honeymoon.
Happy Anniversary!!!! My DH is still in bed sleeping so I went in to ask what time he's going in but he took the day off. I guess I'm still listed as married...for now,LOL. I wish I would've known because I would've taken the day off too and we could've gone for a nice romantic run together!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: