Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #3346
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Ooh, ooh...I think that was me! mwahahaha...

In all seriousness, I'd apologize, but I do think strength training has really helped me with running a lot. I hope it does the same for you!

I missed 3-4 Iron Strength workouts last month while battling a sinus infection and I could really feel a difference...and not in a good way!
Please re-post the link for that. I need something I can do at home besides plyo.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #3347
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
Please re-post the link for that. I need something I can do at home besides plyo.
WARNING: Not for the faint of heart (as you saw from wdwpluto's post and can see if you read the comments in the link below...also someone typed out the entire workout and shared it in a Google Doc, very helpful)!

The workout is supposed to take an hour and I only do half of that twice per week...and even that is a challenge! It does have a couple of plyo moves (plyo squats and lunges):

www.runnersworld.com/ironstrength

I really think that keeping up with this workout has helped my knees a lot...I had Runner's Knee in 2009 and only found relief when I wore orthodics in my shoes. I recently went to my local shoe store complaining of pain in the tops of my feet/upper ankles, and the guys suggested that I was most likely stronger now than I was before and probably didn't need the orthodics. I took the orthodics out and voila! No pain, except for what I mentioned earlier, when I recently missed 3-4 workouts due to being sick...I could totally feel it in my knees.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #3348
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
WARNING: Not for the faint of heart (as you saw from wdwpluto's post and can see if you read the comments in the link below...also someone typed out the entire workout and shared it in a Google Doc, very helpful)!

The workout is supposed to take an hour and I only do half of that twice per week...and even that is a challenge! It does have a couple of plyo moves (plyo squats and lunges):

I really think that keeping up with this workout has helped my knees a lot...I had Runner's Knee in 2009 and only found relief when I wore orthodics in my shoes. I recently went to my local shoe store complaining of pain in the tops of my feet/upper ankles, and the guys suggested that I was most likely stronger now than I was before and probably didn't need the orthodics. I took the orthodics out and voila! No pain, except for what I mentioned earlier, when I recently missed 3-4 workouts due to being sick...I could totally feel it in my knees.
Just curious as to the time improvements you have seen because of implementing the workout.

i.e.- pace before and after
Old 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #3349
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN

Just curious as to the time improvements you have seen because of implementing the workout.

i.e.- pace before and after
My times HAVE improved, but I think that was more due to losing weight (30 lbs+ and counting) over this past year. I think the strength training has helped more from an injury prevention perspective and probably helped with the weight loss as well.

Best example of pace difference...for a 10-mile race in 2011 and 2012 (same course):

2011 - 1:54:11 (11:25/mile)
2012 - 1:39:07 (9:55/mile)

Again I think this pace difference can mostly be explained by weight loss. I do remember thinking that my legs felt stronger than I expected in the 2012 race overall and especially on hills, probably thanks to Iron Strength. Sorry if this doesn't really help/answer your question!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #3350
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484

My times HAVE improved, but I think that was more due to losing weight (30 lbs+ and counting) over this past year. I think the strength training has helped more from an injury prevention perspective and probably helped with the weight loss as well.

Best example of pace difference...for a 10-mile race in 2011 and 2012 (same course):

Again I think this pace difference can mostly be explained by weight loss. I do remember thinking that my legs felt stronger than I expected in the 2012 race overall and especially on hills, probably thanks to Iron Strength. Sorry if this doesn't really help/answer your question!
Wow. Nice!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #3351
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sounds good. You can improve your times by getting to your ideal weight and running more. Weights and cross training are great ways to avoid injury, but by themselves don't make you a lot faster.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #3352
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

Quote:

That is awesome!!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #3353
wdwpluto
The TF looked all over but couldn't find the dollar under your pillow?? ;)
Ebay-ing our way to WDW

Quote:
Ooh, ooh...I think that was me! mwahahaha...

In all seriousness, I'd apologize, but I do think strength training has really helped me with running a lot. I hope it does the same for you!

I missed 3-4 Iron Strength workouts last month while battling a sinus infection and I could really feel a difference...and not in a good way!
In all seriousness, it's a great (but killer) workout! I definitely need the strength training - my quads and glutes are super weak and I had IT band problems/runner's knee while I was training for the Princess because of that. I'm going to stick with the workout for sure, but modify the heck out of it until I build up some strength. Right now I'm more silly putty strength than iron strength
Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #3354
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

Ok -- the incidentals have been managed! Resort booked (w/ discount!), flight booked, car rented. Getting excited now! It seems more "real" now that I have everything set.

On with the training! I had the flu this past week (respiratory flu, and I have asthma... very bad combination) which completely knocked me out, but I'm recovering and hoping to run a nice and easy long run this weekend.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #3355
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:

Excellent reply. Your weight loss and time improvement are awesome.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #3356
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Behind on my training for the Goofy, but coming back reasonably strong. 6.5 miles yesterday, 12 miles today. Hoping for better, but I have been fighting some sinus thing for the past week or so, and it's making running hard.

Next week will be more, which is all that matters. I have lots of time still, and since my only goal is completion, I am less worried about fitness than I might otherwise be.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #3357
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112
I am so excited and proud for my hubby! He got a job that pays twice what he makes now. We have been barely scraping by (living paycheck to paycheck) for a while now. This means that we may be able to stay in a hotel another night or two after the marathon, instead of driving all the way back home.
That's great news!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #3358
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The Plyo moves he uses are similar to the ones in the P90X Plyo video. You should try that one. Mary Katherines are crazy and Tony makes you keep your arms in the air. I make the girls on my daughter's soccer team do them when I do endurance with them. Those and jump squats have them giving me dirty looks after every session. I will say they have won every game after endurance training with me so I guess my they're a good thing, LOL .
Old 10-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #3359
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow. Nice!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
Sounds good. You can improve your times by getting to your ideal weight and running more. Weights and cross training are great ways to avoid injury, but by themselves don't make you a lot faster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
That is awesome!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwpluto View Post
In all seriousness, it's a great (but killer) workout! I definitely need the strength training - my quads and glutes are super weak and I had IT band problems/runner's knee while I was training for the Princess because of that. I'm going to stick with the workout for sure, but modify the heck out of it until I build up some strength. Right now I'm more silly putty strength than iron strength
Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Excellent reply. Your weight loss and time improvement are awesome.
Aw, shucks. Thanks all!

@Reep Thanks for your input. I definitely agree with your take on strength training. The main reason I decided to hit it a little harder was because during the last mile of the 2012 WDW Marathon I had a super painful (TMI? ) butt cramp (Piriformis pain I guess?). I thought maybe strength training could help that - and I think it has (still flairs up occasionally but foam rolling has helped) - but I really wasn't expecting it to benefit my knees at all. That was just a bonus.

One thing I am struggling with right now is figuring out just what my "ideal weight" is...I have a number in my head (about 10 lbs from where I am now) but I'm not sure if it's a good number for me or if I like it just because it sounds good, if that makes any sense.

@wdwpluto Like I said, I had the same problems you did (Runner's Knee/ITB pain), so I hope that strength training helps you! I don't know if you watched the videos on the webpage but the guy says that the plyometric squats are the most important move a runner can do, and I really think those are what have helped me the most. Do you use a foam roller at all? That really helps the IT bands too. And I am TOTALLY modifying that workout (I worked my way up from 2 sets of 4 burpees to 2 sets of 8 burpees...baby steps!!) and LOL'd at silly putty strength!

@John VN Okay good...like I said, I didn't really feel like I was answering what you asked. Thank you!!

Quote:
The Plyo moves he uses are similar to the ones in the P90X Plyo video. You should try that one. Mary Katherines are crazy and Tony makes you keep your arms in the air. I make the girls on my daughter's soccer team do them when I do endurance with them. Those and jump squats have them giving me dirty looks after every session. I will say they have won every game after endurance training with me so I guess my they're a good thing, LOL .
I am VERY curious to try P90X...my husband is as well and we talk about buying it from time to time, but we both always end up balking at the price. That and I know I'd want to cut the workouts down from an hour (they are an hour, right?) and do them 2-3 times per week, so I definitely would not be taking full advantage of the program/follow it correctly.

I remember doing plyometrics in high school/college athletics and HATING every second, so I can imagine your daughter's soccer team's reactions!! They just don't know what's good for them!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #3360
wdwpluto
The TF looked all over but couldn't find the dollar under your pillow?? ;)
Ebay-ing our way to WDW

Quote:
@wdwpluto Like I said, I had the same problems you did (Runner's Knee/ITB pain), so I hope that strength training helps you! I don't know if you watched the videos on the webpage but the guy says that the plyometric squats are the most important move a runner can do, and I really think those are what have helped me the most. Do you use a foam roller at all? That really helps the IT bands too. And I am TOTALLY modifying that workout (I worked my way up from 2 sets of 4 burpees to 2 sets of 8 burpees...baby steps!!) and LOL'd at silly putty strength!
I foam roll and use the stick. Definitely helps! Pigeon pose helps me a lot also! Good progress on the burpees! I probably won't get to do the workout again until next week (traveling for work, need to be able to walk!) but I'm going to be less ambitious than I was last time and build up to it! My goal for the Donald is sub-2:30 (my PR is 2:36:xx) so I know the strength will help get me there!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: