Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #3316
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgirl View Post
Good for you! That is awesome. I really felt for you today as I was running the oktoberfest 10 K in Waterloo today and kept thinking of the Toronto people running the marathon today as it was POURING when I woke up. It worked out that the rain was gone for me not sure about Toronto this am. Anyways, just wanted to say hi and congrats! I feel for you as I am a chiropractor and know the struggles of dealing with an injury while running. Do you live in TO?
Thank you! The weather actually wasn't too bad. It rained on our way into the city (I live just east of Toronto) and I was worried, but by the time the race started it was dry. The temp was pretty nice at around 16-17, and there was quite a windy breeze at points, which I love when I am running. Running down Bathurst, which was a nice gentle downward route, I caught a lovely breeze from the lake and I felt amazing for that kilometre.

The Oktoberfest 10k sounds fun! Maybe next year! I have a friend who practices as a midwife in Kitchener - her name is Sky. Might you know her?

I am totally surprised that my knee is *less* swollen and *less* painful than before I ran! I can feel one spot of pain creeping back, but wow, I love not being in total pain! Let's me know that running is going to make it worse, and now I have to find a way to heal it and keep running. My back, however, is totally bugging still (felt great in the race) just over the area that was sublexed and adjusted earlier in the week. I know from experience it will just take time.

I heading to 3 nights on the DCL Dream this week, and hoping to run the Castaway Cay 5k. But other than that will take it easy, and see where my knee is at for training plans this fall.

Thanks for the response!

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #3317
pkf4bucs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
what days are you staying?
1/11/13 - 1/13/13
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #3318
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkf4bucs View Post
1/11/13 - 1/13/13
I was just on the WDW website looking at the current discounts. The 11-12 are blacked out for the package discount so that's out. You are correct that your price for Pop is better than using the RO discount for a value (Pop wasn't available but I checked ASMo and it would be $645). However, if you want to upgrade, the room only discount for moderates and deluxes is actually pretty good. You could do Coronado Springs (which is actually very nice, IMHO) with the discount and tickets for $716. Or for $874, you could do AKL. The reason your package is so expensive comparatively is the tickets....2 day tickets are almost as much as 5-7 day ticket, so those costs aren't spread out the way they would be if you were staying a full week, KWIM?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #3319
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkf4bucs

1/11/13 - 1/13/13
I think the issue.might be that you're looking at packages. The discounts out right now (as far as I can tell) are hotel only. If you go in the Disney website you scroll to the bottom to find "special offers". They don't make it obvious. You would have to buy tickets separately but those would be easy enough to calculate the costs of.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #3320
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami

I was just on the WDW website looking at the current discounts. The 11-12 are blacked out for the package discount so that's out. You are correct that your price for Pop is better than using the RO discount for a value (Pop wasn't available but I checked ASMo and it would be $645). However, if you want to upgrade, the room only discount for moderates and deluxes is actually pretty good. You could do Coronado Springs (which is actually very nice, IMHO) with the discount and tickets for $716. Or for $874, you could do AKL. The reason your package is so expensive comparatively is the tickets....2 day tickets are almost as much as 5-7 day ticket, so those costs aren't spread out the way they would be if you were staying a full week, KWIM?
Ah, I didn't realize they had blackout dates.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #3321
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
Ah, I didn't realize they had blackout dates.
Yeah, my family was debating flying in late on the 9th or early on the 10th. Checking on the 9th, we can get the package, so it ends up being nearly 200 dollars cheaper to check in a day early and get an extra night at Disney. So I guess the 9th it is!

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #3322
steph0808
Mouseketeer

I ran another half marathon this weekend. My Higdon Novice 2 plan called for 12 miles anyway, and there was a half marathon near me, so I put two and two together!

I took the approach that this was just a training run that involved a "free" shirt (since I had to pay $20 to enter! haha). So I kept my pace to 30 seconds above marathon pace. I finished in 2:20:05 - almost 6 minutes slower than my half from last week. But last week I went out way too fast, injured myself, and had to run/walk the last 4 miles. This half marathon I did not have to walk at all (besides water stops)! It felt like so much more of a success!

I am glad everyone else had great races too!

We will "most likely" be staying at POR as well. We were booked at the Contemporary for 4 adults, but another adult is coming now, and I don't think 5 will be comfortable in one room (with me on the daybed!) and one bathroom.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #3323
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I did the Baltimore Half Marathon on Saturday. Man oh man was that course HILLY! I also PR'd but I have no where to go but down from where I started. I had one goal in mind then when I started and saw how hilly it was I changed it to 15 minutes later and I beat that one by ONE second. I loved the people of Baltimore cheering us on. And I especially loved finishing up by running through Camden Yards. Next up, Disney Marathon!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #3324
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurlFan View Post
Hi all! Mostly been lurking on this thread, but just had to share: Ran 7 miles today, the longest I've run since the Reagan administration

Feeling great, and no doubts that I'll be ready for Donald!
Way to go!! You're right, sounds like you're definitely on track for the half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkf4bucs View Post
Question about price differences......
I am booked 2 nights at the Pop with 2 days of park tickets. My package through IRUN is about $525.

Can someone tell me what the price is for their package with the same time frame staying at a deluxe? My wife wants to stay at one since this may be the only chance we get since we are not taking the kids. ANy responses would be grealty appreciated.
The IRUN discount isn't super great, in my opinion. I'd check out the room discounts Disney is currently offering...deluxes are 30-35% off, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine269 View Post
I guess you could say running a marathon is on my bucket list. A few years ago this would never have happened. I've lost 90 lbs and decided with the 20th anniversary I would go for it. Since I don't plan on doing another, I registered for the Goofy. I'm pretty slow, but hopefully I'll finish

Jennifer
Wow, 90 lbs! What a great accomplishment. I'm sure you will do just fine and have a wonderful time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs View Post
I did a 10k today. Was a little disappointed in my finish time, but realized my pace was 12:04, when my personal best has been 12:49, so that was exciting. My goal by 1/2 marathon time is to get it under 11 min/mike, so I'll have a little breathing room for character stops.

Now if the Cardinals can just get out of this awful 4th inning against the Giants....
Congrats on your PR, 45 seconds per mile faster is great! And hey, the Cardinals pulled through...congrats on that too (though I'm rooting for the Tigers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
I ran a half today and PR'd by 10 minutes! I was so excited! It's great to see all this training is making a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
it sounds like this weekend was a great running weekend for everyone! i PR'd a 10k today! i ran the race for rehab in westchester, ny today and it was so inspiring seeing my fellow runners include blind people, people missing limbs and people in wheelchairs all competing! seeing them made me push harder. a nice dose of reality sure does help one's outlook on life.

hope everyone has a great week! marathon weekend is getting close! i have 17 miles on tap for saturday (following JG) and after this past race i'm feeling hopeful that it will be a decent run
Great job on the PRs! Everyone here is kicking butt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
I think the issue.might be that you're looking at packages. The discounts out right now (as far as I can tell) are hotel only. If you go in the Disney website you scroll to the bottom to find "special offers". They don't make it obvious. You would have to buy tickets separately but those would be easy enough to calculate the costs of.
I think you're right...this one looks pretty good. I used the Disney Visa discount, which I think is about the same as this one.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #3325
BRER
Where every mile is magic

What will be the theme for this year's 5K fun run? The Three Caballeros was a cool idea last time. Now if only we can get some of these 5K's to run through Magic Kingdom. I still remember the Halloween 5K in 2010(?) that went that route.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #3326
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRER View Post
What will be the theme for this year's 5K fun run? The Three Caballeros was a cool idea last time. Now if only we can get some of these 5K's to run through Magic Kingdom. I still remember the Halloween 5K in 2010(?) that went that route.
I don't think it's been officially announced yet (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but this is the training picture runDisney posted on Facebook:

I'm hoping this is a picture of the finisher medallion...all of the classics!

As for the course, I am not sure why they don't go into the Magic Kingdom anymore (don't some go through Animal Kingdom?). My guesses - it's probably easier for them to have the finisher area in Epcot the entire weekend, and not to set up a separate one for the 5K vs. the half/full marathon. Plus I think they want to make sure that the Magic Kingdom is totally empty of runners for opening, and they can have the ENTIRE 5K course inside the park - no road closures necessary, this way they don't need to close any roads until Friday night for the half and Saturday night for the full. I'm not sure if they could do an entire 5K course in the Magic Kingdom, and when they do 5Ks in Animal Kingdom I think they use the parking lot for at least a mile of it...not possible in the MK.

Anyone have any more info to add?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #3327
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808
I ran another half marathon this weekend. My Higdon Novice 2 plan called for 12 miles anyway, and there was a half marathon near me, so I put two and two together!

I took the approach that this was just a training run that involved a "free" shirt (since I had to pay $20 to enter! haha). So I kept my pace to 30 seconds above marathon pace. I finished in 2:20:05 - almost 6 minutes slower than my half from last week. But last week I went out way too fast, injured myself, and had to run/walk the last 4 miles. This half marathon I did not have to walk at all (besides water stops)! It felt like so much more of a success!

I am glad everyone else had great races too!

We will "most likely" be staying at POR as well. We were booked at the Contemporary for 4 adults, but another adult is coming now, and I don't think 5 will be comfortable in one room (with me on the daybed!) and one bathroom.
Steph - were you able to apply a discount to your Contemporary stay? The room I have they Sanyo discount is available. I love to snatch up your room if it was discountable! :-)
Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #3328
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Ran 17 miles on Saturday. My longest distance so far. We averaged a 12:04 pace doing our run/walk intervals. Really felt great until I hit the wall at mile 15. Mile 15-16 was a bear and I had to stretch out my walk intervals a bit to combat some cramping in my calves, but once I hit 16, I was able to finish out with our normal intervals. On the plus side, even though getting through the 17 was tough, my recovery was much faster. I really felt good the rest of the day and did normal activities and then on Sunday had only minimal soreness and went out to run an easy 3 to work out the stiffness a bit. Today feels good as well with only minor fatigue. Looking forward to a couple of shorter "long runs" before the next long one which will be my first half-marathon!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #3329
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1019 View Post
Steph - were you able to apply a discount to your Contemporary stay? The room I have they Sanyo discount is available. I love to snatch up your room if it was discountable! :-)
We currently have it with the Disney Visa discount - I know there are none showing up under the Room-Only deal out now.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #3330
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484

I don't think it's been officially announced yet (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but this is the training picture runDisney posted on Facebook:

I'm hoping this is a picture of the finisher medallion...all of the classics!

As for the course, I am not sure why they don't go into the Magic Kingdom anymore (don't some go through Animal Kingdom?). My guesses - it's probably easier for them to have the finisher area in Epcot the entire weekend, and not to set up a separate one for the 5K vs. the half/full marathon. Plus I think they want to make sure that the Magic Kingdom is totally empty of runners for opening, and they can have the ENTIRE 5K course inside the park - no road closures necessary, this way they don't need to close any roads until Friday night for the half and Saturday night for the full. I'm not sure if they could do an entire 5K course in the Magic Kingdom, and when they do 5Ks in Animal Kingdom I think they use the parking lot for at least a mile of it...not possible in the MK.

Anyone have any more info to add?
Yes, this is the medallion for the 5K. I saw it at the runDisney booth at the Chicago Marathon Expo.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: