Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #3286
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Sooooooo cool. My family and I are going to NY Comic Con tomorrow and Sean Astin going to be there!!!!!! Maybe he and I can talk about running AND The Hobbit. LOL

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #3287
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

Wonderful long run today!!! It's these kinds of runs outdoors in the cool air that make slogging away on the treadmill worthwhile.

And the compliments on my polka dot running skirt didn't hurt, either. I was the best dressed runner on the Mt. Vernon trail.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #3288
rocio
DIS Veteran

We did it. Ran longer than I ever have before: 15 miles! Oof! We also tried run-walk method for the first time. Decided to give it a try as we increase our mileage to prevent injuring. It was nice to get a walk break throughout the run. We ended up with a pace of 11:20 which is right about where we usually are for a long training run. So I guess it worked. We'll probably try it again. We had to be flexible today due to heavy thunderstorms in our area but we found a nice 3 hour window and went for it. It was perfect running weather: 60s and cloudy.

Oh I also found a movie on Netflix today that inspired me: Spirit of the marathon. It is a documentary that follows 6 people as they train for the Chicago marathon (including some newbies). It was a good film to watch as I waited for the rain subside. I recommend it.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #3289
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio
We did it. Ran longer than I ever have before: 15 miles! Oof! We also tried run-walk method for the first time. Decided to give it a try as we increase our mileage to prevent injuring. It was nice to get a walk break throughout the run. We ended up with a pace of 11:20 which is right about where we usually are for a long training run. So I guess it worked. We'll probably try it again. We had to be flexible today due to heavy thunderstorms in our area but we found a nice 3 hour window and went for it. It was perfect running weather: 60s and cloudy.

Oh I also found a movie on Netflix today that inspired me: Spirit of the marathon. It is a documentary that follows 6 people as they train for the Chicago marathon (including some newbies). It was a good film to watch as I waited for the rain subside. I recommend it.
Congrats on the Long Run!! That movie has been around for many years and as a Chicagoan, and a recent finisher of the Chicago Marathon, I watch it several times a year for motivation.

At the recent Chicago Marathon Expo, I visited the booth of the "Spirit of the Marathon 2" -- a sequel to the original which will follow the marathon in Rome. It should be in theaters next Spring.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #3290
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen
I have a 7 mile GMP run today followed by my first 15 of the cycle tomorrow.

Is anyone else using Wine & Dine has their tune up race? I hope I'm not too tired from the Very Merry Christmas party the night before!
Wine and Dine is a tune up for me for Disney full. Never planned on doing full in january... It just kind of happened that way.

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #3291
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post

Congrats on the long run I lost motivation to get out there in the rain today (and it was only about 45 degrees this morning) and I did my 8 miles on the treadmill. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't exactly fun either.

Thanks for the movie recommendation. I've added it to my Netflix queue

Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #3292
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
. DH and I are running the Detroit half next Sunday so all of our long runs are done and we're tapering down now.
I'm working the Freep expo next Friday from 4-8 pm. Hope you have a great race. Great shirts and awesome medals.

Maura
Old 10-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #3293
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Pretty good 14-miler this morning...average around 9:30/mile, which felt easy except for the last 4 miles, which were almost exclusively uphill into a 20-25 mph wind! Getting nervous for Jan already!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #3294
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

Hi all! Mostly been lurking on this thread, but just had to share: Ran 7 miles today, the longest I've run since the Reagan administration

Feeling great, and no doubts that I'll be ready for Donald!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #3295
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

15 miles today for me, 43 for the week, which is a personal best.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #3296
pkf4bucs
Mouseketeer

Question about price differences......
I am booked 2 nights at the Pop with 2 days of park tickets. My package through IRUN is about $525.

Can someone tell me what the price is for their package with the same time frame staying at a deluxe? My wife wants to stay at one since this may be the only chance we get since we are not taking the kids. ANy responses would be grealty appreciated.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #3297
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkf4bucs
Question about price differences......
I am booked 2 nights at the Pop with 2 days of park tickets. My package through IRUN is about $525.

Can someone tell me what the price is for their package with the same time frame staying at a deluxe? My wife wants to stay at one since this may be the only chance we get since we are not taking the kids. ANy responses would be grealty appreciated.
We rented DVC points so I can't help with our package price but the deluxes are typically $225-450/night, and the values usually around $100-$125/night. Instead of booking through IRUN, you might be better off using one of the discount codes that are available through WDW right now. They have a room only discount, as well as a package discount right now.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #3298
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
We rented DVC points so I can't help with our package price but the deluxes are typically $225-450/night, and the values usually around $100-$125/night. Instead of booking through IRUN, you might be better off using one of the discount codes that are available through WDW right now. They have a room only discount, as well as a package discount right now.
Exactly this. The new discounts are all better than the Irun package..
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 10-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #3299
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Jumping into this thread more fully since I am now looking forward to this weekend as my next event!

Today I proudly ran my first half marathon! It was the Scotiabank TOronto Waterfront Marathon. 25000 people ran in the half and full.

I went into it injured with a very sore knee. Opinions varied among professionals from just bad PF to meniscus damage. The first few kilometers were hard, but I stuck it out and the knee felt better. Finished with it still sore, but not too bad, and a little stiff. My time really suffered with the knee and I finished in 2:56:57. My Garmin clocked 21.54 kilometers. I ran mostly 10:1 intervals, with a few longer walks towards the end when I felt crappy. Interestingly my knee feels really good tonight, only 2/10 whereas it had been an 8/10 just two days ago!

I also put my back out yesterday, of all things. I got a chiropractic adjustment and later my back went into spasm. It was so uncomfortable to sleep last night. With my knee and my back I hobbled to the start line. During the run my back was great. I think I finished looking better than I did to start, quite honestly!

I struggled in the race with real fatigue and feeling unwell around 17-18km. I had fuelled well, and drank lots of fluids along the route, and took 2 salt tablets (I am a very salty sweater: even today when it was raining and only about 61-63 degrees with a stiff wind I had salt stains on my face and chest), had some fuel and drank more fluids, and it got better, but it never really left me. I have to figure out how to feel better at the end of a race. I was also crampy (my inner thigh muscles of all places), sore, and lots of things hurt. I felt done. I suspect it is normal but I want to work on feeling better at the end of races.

I was so emotional about finishing my first half that I cried at the finish. I had done it, and it was such a relief as I had been so stressed with my knee and back that I wouldn't be able to do it.

Afterwards there were good post-race things. Very well organized, and ok food. We got the typical bananas, bagels, greek yogurt, apples, water and Gatorade, and Gatorade Recover (blech!). There were tents with a few other things from sponsors as well. I appreciated the Mylar blanket given out.

As the full was going on it and we had parked on the 'wrong' side of the race, we had to walk underground quite far to get the car. Was good for me I suppose, and I have never been so happy to see escalators besides stairs. Applied ice to my knees in the car and headed home.

Now I am going to see where my knee is at tomorrow and head into training for Marathon weekend. This race told me that I want to run the half conservatively, and plan on very short run/walk intervals for the full. I just don't have the base of training to plan on running the full outright at higher run intervals. I will work on my training over the next few months to get better, but will definitely be running the full as a complete amateur just planning to finish.

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #3300
sunshine269
Mouseketeer

I guess you could say running a marathon is on my bucket list. A few years ago this would never have happened. I've lost 90 lbs and decided with the 20th anniversary I would go for it. Since I don't plan on doing another, I registered for the Goofy. I'm pretty slow, but hopefully I'll finish

Jennifer
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: