Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #3226
lanedarose
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2

Walking over from POR

For people staying at the Port Orleans Resort. - Let's set up an "Official Time and Place" to meet to all walk to the starting line together. I am running the Goofy, but by myself, so it will be nice to have people to walk over with.

Last edited by lanedarose; 10-10-2012 at 11:52 AM.
lanedarose is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #3227
tedhowe
Dad to Grace and Joy
 
tedhowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
Just wanted to give everyone a head's up if you haven't bought flights...southwest is having a sale and we just got ours non-stop out of Columbus, OH for $328 total round trip (for both of us!)
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I was not keeping an eye on airfares at all because we were originally planning to drive down and auto train back in January.

I checked Southwest and found round trip, non-stop for the FOUR of us from PHL to TPA for $542 total!

Even with the cost of a rental car, this is less expensive than driving our own van down and auto training back and it saves up 2000 miles of wear and tear on the car and two full days of travel!

Awesome!
__________________
---
C25K Complete - 3/29/12!
---
5K PR: 29:16 11/22/2012
HM PR: 2:28:15 11/18/12

In Training for my first full marathon: Philadelphia 11/23/2014
tedhowe is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #3228
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,041

Thanks to the AMAZING new discounts released today, we switched from AKL to the Grand Floridian (MK view) and saved about $500. Hooray.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #3229
jimandami
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Union, KY (Cincinnati)
Posts: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhowe

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I was not keeping an eye on airfares at all because we were originally planning to drive down and auto train back in January.

I checked Southwest and found round trip, non-stop for the FOUR of us from PHL to TPA for $542 total!

Even with the cost of a rental car, this is less expensive than driving our own van down and auto training back and it saves up 2000 miles of wear and tear on the car and two full days of travel!

Awesome!
That's awesome!! You are most welcome!
jimandami is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #3230
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran
 
Momto2PrncChrmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,660

Hope everyone has called in to check on the discounts that came out today. We got a great discount, basically paying about $400 for DDP for five people for 8 nights.

Just wish the southwest flights had an earlier/cheaper option for our flight down. Can get the $89 but won't get there I time for packet pickup on Friday. Earlier flights are $150-200 ONE WAY! Oh well!!
__________________
Me-Jenny/40 , DH-Andy/40 , DS-Drew/12, DS-Keaton/8

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #3231
robynslp
Mouseketeer
 
robynslp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 97

What is the Downtown Disney Cooldown Party? Just saw this in an email today and wondered about anyone's experience with this. I'm so excited/anxious for my Mickey! Time to start sewing up my "costume"!
robynslp is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #3232
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran
 
sunshine girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)
Posts: 1,065

I called to try and apply the discount to my resort reservation, but after many many "all circuits are busy" messages, I finally got through, was on hold for an hour and then had to hang up. Tried again two separate times later in the day, same scenario! (though I didn't bother continuing to dial after getting the busy message about 20 times.)

Hope there are some discounted rates left by the time I get through!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
sunshine girl is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #3233
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer
 
MightyDuck001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 472

How is training going for everyone?
I'm doing the Higdon Novice 1 and my Wednesday night run just got bumped up to 5 miles this week. That run is getting tougher, especially since it's getting pretty dark by 7pm and honestly, running in the dark kinda freaks me out... how do I see pot holes and fast moving bicyclists?
MightyDuck001 is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #3234
tehvalerie
Mouseketeer
 
tehvalerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001 View Post
How is training going for everyone?
I'm doing the Higdon Novice 1 and my Wednesday night run just got bumped up to 5 miles this week. That run is getting tougher, especially since it's getting pretty dark by 7pm and honestly, running in the dark kinda freaks me out... how do I see pot holes and fast moving bicyclists?
We're on the same plan and did that run tonight, too. I knew to anticipate people being able to see *us* as a problem, but hadn't thought about how difficult it would be us to see the pavement! For problem #1 we got running vests, but now I'm thinking about some sort of wearable flashlight situation so I don't trip!

It's only going to get worse next month after the time change and as our Wednesday runs get longer. I think we're going to have to plan on ducking out of work early on Wednesdays to get it done safely.
tehvalerie is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #3235
nym
Earning My Ears
 
nym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 31

Reintroduction

This is my first post in a few years.

I started running about six years ago with W.I.S.H. and have run off and on, and have completed about a dozen half marathons since then. My first race ever was the Disney World half marathon in 2007. I've never been really fast. And that's been fine with me. My half marathon PR is 2:18, although most of my Disney races were around 2:50.

I ran the San Jose Rock 'n' Roll half marathon on Sunday with run/walk intervals averaging 11:58/mi and finished in 2:35.

I'm planning on traveling solo to run the full in January. This will be my first full marathon. I'll be turning 40 later that month and running a marathon is on my turning 40 bucket list, and, well, the medal looks awesome. So here I am.

I'm still pretty intimidated about the full marathon distance and especially the idea of running five to six hours. I expect that I'll be able to improve my pace with some speed work and losing some weight through the training, but I really don't have a lot of time during the week to work out.

I've mostly been following the Galloway plan "to finish" posted on the runDisney web site. So far good, although up until now hasn't gone beyond the half marathon distance.

Anyway I just wanted to reintroduce myself and say that I'm looking to seeing everyone in January :-)

chris
__________________


Last edited by nym; 10-11-2012 at 12:27 AM.
nym is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #3236
swimchick1984
Mouseketeer
 
swimchick1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Missouri
Posts: 312

Completed day two of my training. The bed was so warm and I was sleepy didn't want to get up. But I did and ran. Today was a speed workout day. Didn't hit my miles at the time I was suposed to but the second one was faster then the first so I am good with that.

I looked at the discount being offered for my room from disney but the discount that I got because of the military promotion is much better so I am going to keep that one. So yeah for deals .


Has anyones family participated in the Cheersquad? I was thinking that it would be fun for my husband and daughter. I was thinking the platinum package, so they can have some food/characters etc. Also do the offer a later bus for the CHeersquad or do they have to get on a bus with me?
swimchick1984 is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #3237
coco392
Mouseketeer
 
coco392's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimchick1984
Completed day two of my training. The bed was so warm and I was sleepy didn't want to get up. But I did and ran. Today was a speed workout day. Didn't hit my miles at the time I was suposed to but the second one was faster then the first so I am good with that.

I looked at the discount being offered for my room from disney but the discount that I got because of the military promotion is much better so I am going to keep that one. So yeah for deals .

Has anyones family participated in the Cheersquad? I was thinking that it would be fun for my husband and daughter. I was thinking the platinum package, so they can have some food/characters etc. Also do the offer a later bus for the CHeersquad or do they have to get on a bus with me?
we did cheersquad both days- on each day was great, food, drinks, good view of finish line. we were all able to hang out after races and relax. was worth the $$$.
coco392 is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #3238
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer
 
MightyDuck001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehvalerie View Post
We're on the same plan and did that run tonight, too. I knew to anticipate people being able to see *us* as a problem, but hadn't thought about how difficult it would be us to see the pavement! For problem #1 we got running vests, but now I'm thinking about some sort of wearable flashlight situation so I don't trip!

It's only going to get worse next month after the time change and as our Wednesday runs get longer. I think we're going to have to plan on ducking out of work early on Wednesdays to get it done safely.
It's kind of random, but I was out running on Tuesday and it was getting dark but I knew there was a spot where the pavement's really uneven from tree rooms, then there are loose/missing bricks by my building...
MightyDuck001 is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #3239
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep
 
kimmiepcft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 158

I got ChEARSquad for my daughter, she will be alone, and 16, and I like knowing she will be safe in one place while I run!
__________________
Kim
kimmiepcft is offline  
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #3240
JRM393
Earning My Ears
 
JRM393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyDuck001 View Post
How is training going for everyone?
I'm doing the Higdon Novice 1 and my Wednesday night run just got bumped up to 5 miles this week. That run is getting tougher, especially since it's getting pretty dark by 7pm and honestly, running in the dark kinda freaks me out... how do I see pot holes and fast moving bicyclists?
This is my first post on this particular board, but thought maybe I could help. I've been running about 3 years, and most of my runs (at least in the winter) are in complete darkness so I figured hey, I know some solutions!

There are a few different ones, and it depends on money, but there are headlamps that you can get. There are some that have both a front white light (to be able to see in front of you) with a back red light with rechargable batteries, those run about $60. Or if you want to go a cheaper route, I got one from Wal-Mart in the camping section that uses triple A batteries for $13 a last year (I run 5 days a week after October 1st and the batteries still haven't run out). Then you can just get a blinkling red light for your back.

So you'd be lookin at anywhere between about $20 and up depending on how much you want to spend. Personally I hate holding things when I run, so the headlamp was the best way to go for me. Otherwise you could just hold a flashlight.

Hope this helps!!
JRM393 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: