Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #3196
crowland87
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hopewell Junction, NY
Posts: 14

Hi everyone! Just looking for some advice. Mickey 20 will be my first full and I am extremely excited! I will be traveling down to WDW at the end of this month for a family vacation, and I am scheduled to run 15 miles that weekend (Hal Novice 2). I am staying at the Beach Club Villas, and I know I can run around the boardwalk loop and the path down to DHS, but I think I saw this route is only 1.8 miles total (if i found the correct estimates.) Do you think I should run around in circles until I get to 15? Or maybe I can just do 10 and count a day of park walking afterwards as part of those miles? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!
crowland87 is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #3197
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran
 
Momto2PrncChrmgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,655

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKHayes-DisneyDiva
For so many years, I've loved running and WDW. FINALLY I'm going to bring these together at the WDW Half, and it will be my birthday weekend, too!

The trip almost didn't happen. After I found a running/travel companion (my friend Julie!) registered for the race, and booked lodging at BWV, my husband unexpectedly walked out on our 23 year marriage! Finances are pretty tight, but I decided to do it anyway. The race isn't going to put me in debt, and I can use a little pixie dust right now.

My only regret is that I'm not doing the full. That medal looks so cool!
Happy running, everyone!
You DO deserve some pixie dust! Congrats on your first half (it's mine, too). I hope your trip is MAGICAL!!
__________________
Me-Jenny/40 , DH-Andy/40 , DS-Drew/11, DS-Keaton/7

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #3198
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran
 
PRmamiDEdos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Capital of the World!!
Posts: 2,441

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKHayes-DisneyDiva
For so many years, I've loved running and WDW. FINALLY I'm going to bring these together at the WDW Half, and it will be my birthday weekend, too!

The trip almost didn't happen. After I found a running/travel companion (my friend Julie!) registered for the race, and booked lodging at BWV, my husband unexpectedly walked out on our 23 year marriage! Finances are pretty tight, but I decided to do it anyway. The race isn't going to put me in debt, and I can use a little pixie dust right now.

My only regret is that I'm not doing the full. That medal looks so cool!
Happy running, everyone!
Wow. Screw him. You're going to have an awesome birthday and an awesome run! Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
__________________
PRmamiDEdos is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #3199
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep
 
kimmiepcft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 158

[QUOTE=PRmamiDEdos;46393691]Darn. Now everyone knows my name. Do I get celebrity status? If so, I want to run with Rudy!!! LOL I'm pretty sure he runs faster but if I see Sean Astin, I am totally chanting Rudy and then asking if he's seen my precious.

QUOTE]

So awesome, still laughing!
__________________
Kim
kimmiepcft is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #3200
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran
 
princessbride6205's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_runner View Post
Keep in mind you can use the real facilities once inside the parks. So take a look at the course maps, and see what mile marker you'll be near when you're inside MK or whereever. I actually train this way - knowing what mile marker to "hold" it until so that I can use real facilities.
Yes! I used TTC during the Princess half and AK Asia during the Wine & Dine. Could I have held it the entire race? Probably, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. This year's Wine & Dine I think I'll skip the bathroom, but I will plan to use one or two on the full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
For those of you who do intervals, how fast do you do your walk interval? So far I have been running only, but as I'm getting up into the higher milage of maratho training, I think I need to switch to intervals if I'm gonna make it the whole way!
I do mostly walking with just a few short run segments. When I started a few years ago I did run 3/walk 1, and my walk pace was 15-16 minute mile. My knee doesn't enjoy distance running, so I've switched to working on faster walking: 13-14 minute mile race pace. That's with walking 2-4 minutes, running 30 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKHayes-DisneyDiva View Post
For so many years, I've loved running and WDW. FINALLY I'm going to bring these together at the WDW Half, and it will be my birthday weekend, too!

The trip almost didn't happen. After I found a running/travel companion (my friend Julie!) registered for the race, and booked lodging at BWV, my husband unexpectedly walked out on our 23 year marriage! Finances are pretty tight, but I decided to do it anyway. The race isn't going to put me in debt, and I can use a little pixie dust right now.

My only regret is that I'm not doing the full. That medal looks so cool!
Happy running, everyone!
You do need pixie dust! So great you are able to make this trip and do the race!

Coach - I was so glad to see you chime in about long run distances. I am doing Galloway, but don't plan to go above 20-21 miles. I know I don't need the mental part of going further, and want to save my legs from injury as much as I can.
__________________
Nicole DH DD(6)
If there's a trip, there's a race!
2010 Princess Half * 2011 Wine & Dine Half * 2012 Wine & Dine Half
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #3201
Mickeyfan74
Mouseketeer
 
Mickeyfan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKHayes-DisneyDiva View Post
For so many years, I've loved running and WDW. FINALLY I'm going to bring these together at the WDW Half, and it will be my birthday weekend, too!

The trip almost didn't happen. After I found a running/travel companion (my friend Julie!) registered for the race, and booked lodging at BWV, my husband unexpectedly walked out on our 23 year marriage! Finances are pretty tight, but I decided to do it anyway. The race isn't going to put me in debt, and I can use a little pixie dust right now.

My only regret is that I'm not doing the full. That medal looks so cool!
Happy running, everyone!
So Sorry to hear that news. Well you definitely must do it for yourself and no one else. What a great b-day present. Would be nice to have you meet with us that are doing the half prior to race time. I'm sure as it gets closer we will find a meeting spot. I am doing the half also. My 2nd one at WDW looking forward to it. Maybe by 2018 I'll try the full for the 25th anniv. medal.
Mickeyfan74 is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #3202
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Would it help if I said I PR'd a full with a long run of 16?

For most marathoners there is nothing magical about running 16, 20, 21, 26 or33 as a long run. After 2.5 - 3 hours on the run, the body will continue to function for many miles as long as you keep it watered, fed and operating in a condition where stays under the maximum fuel rate. Training for periods equally these times will suffice for most any event.

What happens to most new runners is the self confidence deficit. I do not mean anything negative by this, it's just crossing into the unknown with no history to rely on. I would suggest that if you are following Higdon's plan as written, you will be fine. If you feel like 10k is too far, add 1-3 miles to the last longest run and you will have that added edge of confidence.

As an addition tidbit, Jeff has runners running 26 for a couple reasons. One is to know you can do it. The main physiological reason is that his mid week work is not much more than a set of recovery runs.

If it helps, add the miles and come into the race feeling better about the run. A marathon is really 99% mental and 10% physical.
Thanks Coach, I had this exact question about my training. Over the past few weeks I have completed runs of 13, 15 and 17 miles and have found that after about 12 miles, my body gets into a rhythm and it is just a matter of continuing to fuel and hydrate for the additional miles until complete.

I am on the Galloway Goofy training schedule and have a 20 mile run in a couple of weeks followed by a 23 and a 26. I am 48 years old and have run shorter distances (5ks and such) all my life as a member of the military to stay in shape and pass PT tests. I already know I can finish both races because of experiences in the military in overcoming mental challenges with my body. If the reason to go the longer distances is mostly mental, I am wondering if I just continue to do 15 to 17 miles (about 3 to 3 1/2 hours for me) to reduce the chance of injury? Thoughts?

Thanks Rick
bmer1rick is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #3203
jimandami
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Union, KY (Cincinnati)
Posts: 2,999

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up if you haven't bought flights...southwest is having a sale and we just got ours non-stop out of Columbus, OH for $328 total round trip (for both of us!)
jimandami is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #3204
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmer1rick View Post
Thanks Coach, I had this exact question about my training. Over the past few weeks I have completed runs of 13, 15 and 17 miles and have found that after about 12 miles, my body gets into a rhythm and it is just a matter of continuing to fuel and hydrate for the additional miles until complete.

I am on the Galloway Goofy training schedule and have a 20 mile run in a couple of weeks followed by a 23 and a 26. I am 48 years old and have run shorter distances (5ks and such) all my life as a member of the military to stay in shape and pass PT tests. I already know I can finish both races because of experiences in the military in overcoming mental challenges with my body. If the reason to go the longer distances is mostly mental, I am wondering if I just continue to do 15 to 17 miles (about 3 to 3 1/2 hours for me) to reduce the chance of injury? Thoughts?

Thanks Rick
Rick, if you told me you were running the midweek runs as hills, intervals or tempo runs, and filling a couple more activities in during the week I would say no issue. Even if you said you were just following the plan and 'running 45 minutes' with no real purpose, I would say you are probably good to go based on your question. It just gets a little tough on Goofy Sunday if one is only running 3 days a week (4 some weeks with Jeff). Add a couple sessions to your week like strength training, cycling or a great walk with the dog, DW or kiddos and that will help.

The 3-3.5 hour long run limit comes from the Ironman world where as an age grouper you would never find time to train all three disciplines going full distance. You have nailed the focus of the long run and should be good to go.

Hope this helps.... Oh, I am honored by your service - THanks!
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #3205
bmer1rick
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 638

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Rick, if you told me you were running the midweek runs as hills, intervals or tempo runs, and filling a couple more activities in during the week I would say no issue. Even if you said you were just following the plan and 'running 45 minutes' with no real purpose, I would say you are probably good to go based on your question. It just gets a little tough on Goofy Sunday if one is only running 3 days a week (4 some weeks with Jeff). Add a couple sessions to your week like strength training, cycling or a great walk with the dog, DW or kiddos and that will help.

The 3-3.5 hour long run limit comes from the Ironman world where as an age grouper you would never find time to train all three disciplines going full distance. You have nailed the focus of the long run and should be good to go.

Hope this helps.... Oh, I am honored by your service - THanks!
Thanks again. I am actually doing one interval training during midweek. I found during my regular military PT that interval training helps on many levels with my fitness. I am doing the Galloway (three to four days a week) and do the 45 minutes with no real purpose the other day or two. Rick
bmer1rick is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #3206
jmasgat
DIS Veteran
 
jmasgat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,686

Nothing to report from me except injuries. My stress fracture is healing,albeit slowly. Was supposed to go back to sport med doc yesterday, but can't since I'm recovering from my latest set of injuries. I crashed my bike last Thursday (touched the wheel of my riding partner). Hit my (helmeted) head on the pavement and banged my ribs. Fortunately, no fractures, but rib contusions hurt like hell!

I also passed out on Saturday, so was treated to an ambulance ride to ER and 24 hours in the hospital under observation. After blood tests, CT scan, ECG, carotid ultrasound, they found-surprise-nothing. I am a fairly healthy person who just happened to faint. Gee, I wonder if the pain in my ribs and the drugs I was on might have just stressed me out a little?

Anyway, I hadn't planned to start running for another couple of weeks, so I'm not missing out on anything. I had been pretty active with my pool running, swimming and cycling, but right now I'm sitting on my duff.

So I will have 8-10 weeks tops to regain some level of fitness to make it through Goofy. And I do plan to do it. Oddly, I am confident that I will be able to do it--certainly not fast in any way, but still.

So to everyone who may be struggling with training, I say "Hang in there!" And Coach if you have any suggestions on how to ramp back up, I'd love to hear. I plan to go back to a local "RunGuru" later in the month to see if we can figure out if there are any underlying causes to my stress fracture we can correct.

Sorry for the long post. And one final comment---Wear your helmet when biking!

Maura
jmasgat is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #3207
SAHDad
DIS Veteran
 
SAHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,207

Maura - I'm not quite in the same boat, but I know you can do it!

I cut my running way back in July & August, and spent basically all September trying to regain some of that. Haven't done a double-digit run in months. I'll do a 12 on Friday, however, and ramp up fairly quickly from there. There next couple of weeks are going to be rough, but, if I can get through them, I should be right on track with where I wanted to originally be, Goofy-wise.
__________________
One of the MouseQuest podcast gang! Find it on iTunes.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #3208
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Nothing to report from me except injuries. My stress fracture is healing,albeit slowly. Was supposed to go back to sport med doc yesterday, but can't since I'm recovering from my latest set of injuries. I crashed my bike last Thursday (touched the wheel of my riding partner). Hit my (helmeted) head on the pavement and banged my ribs. Fortunately, no fractures, but rib contusions hurt like hell!

I also passed out on Saturday, so was treated to an ambulance ride to ER and 24 hours in the hospital under observation. After blood tests, CT scan, ECG, carotid ultrasound, they found-surprise-nothing. I am a fairly healthy person who just happened to faint. Gee, I wonder if the pain in my ribs and the drugs I was on might have just stressed me out a little?

Anyway, I hadn't planned to start running for another couple of weeks, so I'm not missing out on anything. I had been pretty active with my pool running, swimming and cycling, but right now I'm sitting on my duff.

So I will have 8-10 weeks tops to regain some level of fitness to make it through Goofy. And I do plan to do it. Oddly, I am confident that I will be able to do it--certainly not fast in any way, but still.

So to everyone who may be struggling with training, I say "Hang in there!" And Coach if you have any suggestions on how to ramp back up, I'd love to hear. I plan to go back to a local "RunGuru" later in the month to see if we can figure out if there are any underlying causes to my stress fracture we can correct.

Sorry for the long post. And one final comment---Wear your helmet when biking!

Maura
Sure, we can put our heads together and work out a plan. My initial questions are making sure you replace your lid. I suffered the result of a wheel touch a couple bikes in front of me in 09. Had to get a new lid then forced a second replacement 3 weeks later. Nothing like road rash on top of road rash.

I am betting that you will not have intercostal muscle feeling like huffing and puffing in the next 7-10 days. First lets get de-booted. Then we can map out s schedule. 10 weeks is not a lot of time so the largest question is how close to 20 do you feel like we need to go. You have a great base to build from so it remains very doable.

The SF issue may not be gait related. A simple misstep on a handicap did me in in late 2005. Long story short, got lost in Vancouver, finally saw the hotel and was about to run through an unsupported intersection when I heard car brakes. I stomped a quick stop. A few days later, I was thinking high ankle sprain. It kind of went away until mile 4 of the half of the inaugural Goofy. But in saying all this, a strength/stretching program to help create a flexible yet strongly supported ankle will help tremendously.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #3209
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran
 
PRmamiDEdos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Capital of the World!!
Posts: 2,441

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat
Nothing to report from me except injuries. My stress fracture is healing,albeit slowly. Was supposed to go back to sport med doc yesterday, but can't since I'm recovering from my latest set of injuries. I crashed my bike last Thursday (touched the wheel of my riding partner). Hit my (helmeted) head on the pavement and banged my ribs. Fortunately, no fractures, but rib contusions hurt like hell!

I also passed out on Saturday, so was treated to an ambulance ride to ER and 24 hours in the hospital under observation. After blood tests, CT scan, ECG, carotid ultrasound, they found-surprise-nothing. I am a fairly healthy person who just happened to faint. Gee, I wonder if the pain in my ribs and the drugs I was on might have just stressed me out a little?

Anyway, I hadn't planned to start running for another couple of weeks, so I'm not missing out on anything. I had been pretty active with my pool running, swimming and cycling, but right now I'm sitting on my duff.

So I will have 8-10 weeks tops to regain some level of fitness to make it through Goofy. And I do plan to do it. Oddly, I am confident that I will be able to do it--certainly not fast in any way, but still.

So to everyone who may be struggling with training, I say "Hang in there!" And Coach if you have any suggestions on how to ramp back up, I'd love to hear. I plan to go back to a local "RunGuru" later in the month to see if we can figure out if there are any underlying causes to my stress fracture we can correct.

Sorry for the long post. And one final comment---Wear your helmet when biking!

Maura
Holy moly! I flinched while reading this. Please take care of yourself and feel better.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
__________________
PRmamiDEdos is offline  
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #3210
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Nothing to report from me except injuries. My stress fracture is healing,albeit slowly. Was supposed to go back to sport med doc yesterday, but can't since I'm recovering from my latest set of injuries. I crashed my bike last Thursday (touched the wheel of my riding partner). Hit my (helmeted) head on the pavement and banged my ribs. Fortunately, no fractures, but rib contusions hurt like hell!

I also passed out on Saturday, so was treated to an ambulance ride to ER and 24 hours in the hospital under observation. After blood tests, CT scan, ECG, carotid ultrasound, they found-surprise-nothing. I am a fairly healthy person who just happened to faint. Gee, I wonder if the pain in my ribs and the drugs I was on might have just stressed me out a little?

Anyway, I hadn't planned to start running for another couple of weeks, so I'm not missing out on anything. I had been pretty active with my pool running, swimming and cycling, but right now I'm sitting on my duff.

So I will have 8-10 weeks tops to regain some level of fitness to make it through Goofy. And I do plan to do it. Oddly, I am confident that I will be able to do it--certainly not fast in any way, but still.

So to everyone who may be struggling with training, I say "Hang in there!" And Coach if you have any suggestions on how to ramp back up, I'd love to hear. I plan to go back to a local "RunGuru" later in the month to see if we can figure out if there are any underlying causes to my stress fracture we can correct.

Sorry for the long post. And one final comment---Wear your helmet when biking!

Maura
Sorry you have been dealing with more injuries. The bike accident sounded scary. Thank goodness for bike helmets. I never ride without one. My sister was saved by her Bell helmet years ago and sent it in for a replacement. It was returned with a certificate of being "Saved by the Bell". Keep up the cross training...and hopefully you will be back in your running shoes soon.
Qltrgrl2 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: