Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #3151
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
That's a nice area to run! I lived not too far from Pelham Parkway. I miss the pizza and the Italian bakeries. I have yet to find anything comparable on Long Island but it's the water. Bronx tap water is the best!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
amen! my second kid is 10 months old and takes a bottle. it was nice to hear from my pediatrician that no boiling is necessary in nyc because of the quality of the tap. how far on the island are you? i love the bx. i grew up in morris park but i'm in throgs neck now.

kimmiepcft congrats on the SI half! how was it? i considered doing that but it was a little too far for me.

Momto2PrncChrmgs i'm a beginner so i'm interested in hearing about what people do for pre-race food. i ran 15 on saturday and besides drinking a ton of water the day before, i had a banana and a slice of wheat bread with some peanut butter before the run with lots of water and it seemed to work well for me. i ran the princess half in 2011 and stayed at one of the all stars resorts. they had a boxed breakfast for sale the night before that included a little tub of peanut butter, a small bagel and i believe an apple. maybe a granola bar as well.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #3152
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs View Post
I have a question about pre-race food. I'm doing the 1/2-what type of breakfast do some of you prefer before a race? I'm assuming the food courts aren't open so we'll need to make sure we have something in the room?
Food courts or fast food areas usually open about 2 am on race day. Every once in a while I read where one failed to open but that is the exception. It will not be a full service opening, i.e. nothing cooked.

Being a little cautious, I tend to purchase what I think I will need the day before then head to the food court to use their toasters.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #3153
rmgreenesq
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler View Post
Quick question -
My time was one that I just submitted to Disney because it is my best half time ever and it is under the 2:45 threshold.

Do they reply when you email them with your submittal to let you know they have received your email?
They should reply with an updated registration information sheet. I recently sent them my proof of time from my one and only half marathon: The Disneyland Half Marathon. It took them a few days to reply, but trackshack did reply.

Rick
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #3154
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
Oh, that stinks. No DNF is pleasant, but if you run enough, you'll have one. You made the right call, I think. There are always other races, and there is no point in hurting yourself.

(FWIW - in the ultra community, DNF also stands for "Did Nothing Foolish/Fatal".)

On the plus side - it means that Disney can be your first marathon.
Thanks for this! I had not thought that Disney would now be my first! And I love the DNF saying!

When I called DH to tell him I was getting a ride to the finish, he thought I was going in an ambulance! Nope, just a minivan with a nice volunteer.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #3155
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

I seriously don't know how you Goofy runners do it. I'm having problems leaving my bed today. I don't even know how it would be to run a marathon. LOL

I do have a question about potty breaks during a full. I can hold it during a 1/2 and don't really get the urge during my long run but I haven't gone past 15 at this point. Do you marathon runners feel the urge to hit the PP's on the course?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #3156
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I seriously don't know how you Goofy runners do it. I'm having problems leaving my bed today. I don't even know how it would be to run a marathon. LOL

I do have a question about potty breaks during a full. I can hold it during a 1/2 and don't really get the urge during my long run but I haven't gone past 15 at this point. Do you marathon runners feel the urge to hit the PP's on the course?
Yep, I hit the portas during the race, if I have to. It's generally a pretty good gauge of how hydrated I am, but (ew factor) - I can tell my speed relative to everyone else as well - the nastier the porta is, the more people are ahead of me!

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #3157
halvnorsk
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I'm with you. I can make it for a half, but not for a full (yet). My first marathon I only made it about 8 miles before I needed to stop. I think I drank too much right before the race. The next full I made it about 2/3 of the way before I needed to stop. These were both WDW marathons btw. Maybe this year I can make it all the way.

The funny part is, I have worn compression shorts both times and have trouble pulling them back up. I think the cold air plus blood flow concentrating to other body parts greatly reduces the dexterity of my fingers and hands. So yanking down was okay, but trying to get them back up seemed almost impossible! I thought I was going to DNF because I was stuck in the porta-potty exposing a full moon!
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #3158
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So friggin proud of myself!!! Had my Diva 1/2 today and I PR'd by almost 50 minutes! I am mad at myself for letting my DD's math teacher pass me, but my feet were killing me and she finished almost 3 minutes ahead. Blah, LOL....~snip~
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Congrats Shaelee!
I also PR'd my half this morning. Waiting for Official Time but Garmin time was 2:28:54. My previous PR was 2:36:41 so almost 8 minutes faster. Very pleased!

Amanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepcft View Post
Still catching up on yesterday's posts but wanted to share that I ran the Staten Island Half and PRd! My time was 2:27 and my former time was 2:35!! SO excited!
Wow, congrats on the PRs, ladies! That is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH View Post
My first marathon-my first DNF. Was okay for the first half, then around mile 15 the nausea started. The thought of ingesting ANYTHING made it worse. It would come and go, and I took some water. I knew I still had almost 8 miles to go by this point, so I decided to try a Gu. Bad choice. It came right back up on me. So I kept moving, walking mostly. Then my foot with the PF really acted up and the transition from bike path to roads with a significant camber didn't help. I opted to call it at mile 19.8 at the water stop.

While I am disappointed that I did not finish, this was a learning experience. I also decided not to push myself and risk more injury, since I am doing Goofy in January. I probably could have finished just walking, but there is a 5:30 time limit and I would not have made it. The weather was perfect today, cool and cloudy, no wind or rain. The volunteers were awesome as always. I just couldn't get it done.

I will take a little time off and reassess and then start with a training plan for Goofy (I think I am going to modify the one I have).
So sorry that this happened to you. As PP have said, it sounds like you did the smart thing though. Learn what you can from the situation and move on...you'll come back stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENR View Post
I have a few questions. I will be doing the full marathon in January. I am staying off site so I am not sure what time I should get to the Epcot parking lot and how long will it take me to get there. Will the traffic be really bad?
Road closures from the marathon begin the night before the race, so study your route carefully. As other posters have said, the earlier you get there, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler View Post
Quick question -
My time was one that I just submitted to Disney because it is my best half time ever and it is under the 2:45 threshold.

Do they reply when you email them with your submittal to let you know they have received your email?

Thanks
I submitted an updated time in the spring and got an email confirmation. If you're worried about it, bring a printout of your time with you to the expo and take it to the Runner Relations...they can help you out and change your corral, if necessary. It doesn't take long at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs View Post
I have a question about pre-race food. I'm doing the 1/2-what type of breakfast do some of you prefer before a race? I'm assuming the food courts aren't open so we'll need to make sure we have something in the room?
I bring my own food with me from home - plain bagel with peanut butter (the small disposable packs) and a granola bar. I want to make sure my stomach is happy during the race(s)!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #3159
disney_runner
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Keep in mind you can use the real facilities once inside the parks. So take a look at the course maps, and see what mile marker you'll be near when you're inside MK or whereever. I actually train this way - knowing what mile marker to "hold" it until so that I can use real facilities.

Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #3160
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_runner View Post
Keep in mind you can use the real facilities once inside the parks. So take a look at the course maps, and see what mile marker you'll be near when you're inside MK or whereever. I actually train this way - knowing what mile marker to "hold" it until so that I can use real facilities.
This is what I wanted to do, but it ended up not working out for the most part.

I was specifically thinking of...
- the bathrooms near Norway (right before leaving Epcot after the first few miles...so that's no longer an option)
- the TTC bathrooms
- the bathrooms near the Merchant of Venus in the Magic Kingdom
- the bathrooms in Asia in Animal Kingdom.

My brother didn't want to stop at Norway, the lines at TTC were HUGE, and I forgot to stop at Merchant of Venus because I was distracted by the awesomeness than is running through the Magic Kingdom. I also forgot to stop in Animal Kingdom...I think again because I was distracted by everything.

I DID stop in real bathrooms right before leaving DHS...no lines at all! I think these are normally CM-only bathrooms?? I also made 2 porta-potty stops. I'm going to try to minimize those this time around.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #3161
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

In 2012, I stopped at the EPCOT restrooms right after the entrance (no longer an option) and the DHS bathrooms right before the hat. In 2013, I will be going in the bushes. LOL.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #3162
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
Yep, I hit the portas during the race, if I have to. It's generally a pretty good gauge of how hydrated I am, but (ew factor) - I can tell my speed relative to everyone else as well - the nastier the porta is, the more people are ahead of me!
Quote:

I generally am fine if I get past mile 3-13. Yes a wide range but the mind does funny things.

I find that the urge is more mental if one is hydrating properly. As glycogen (blood sugar) levels fall the brain (which is fueled 100% by sugar) will start to tell you many things to keep you from running. I actually find that physically, my body tends to shut the bladder off and not allow the liquids to leave after 30 -45 minutes.

For those who are curious, there are real restrooms at the TTC (course right)(mile 4) in MK just after turning the left hand corner at the race track behind Stitch (course left) and then again near the Country Bear Jamboree (course left)... you may need to convince a cast member that you need the latter. In DAK, just after coming on stage, there is a set of real rooms (course left) . WWoS are all long term Portolets. DHS, there are a set of real rooms in the area of the Commissary Lane (course right). Finally, in Epcot, there are a couple sets along WorldShowcase, but I would think by then it would need to be life or death
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #3163
RedSonya
Mouseketeer

I did my Galloway Goofy training over the weekend, 6 miles Saturday and 15 miles on Sunday. It was cold Saturday morning, I was glad my jacket had zip off sleeves as it started to warm up. The 15 miles was great for the first 11 and then I really struggled. I forgot to fuel after mile 5 which may have been some of the problem. I need to work on eating while on long runs.

When I got home I could feel that I was starting to get sore so I went out and mowed the lawn for an hour. I think that really saved me because today I don't even feel like I ran yesterday. I've read from Coach and others that you have to keep moving to recover and I can't agree more. Two weeks ago I ran a half race and then didn't move enough post race. I could barely walk for the next 4 days.

Thanks for all of the great information and advice you all share with me, a new runner.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #3164
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep

Congrats on all of the PRs, and hugs to Vern for the DNF, but I agree, better to stay healthy and race in Disney!
The SI Half was amazing, a little hilly, and it rained at the end, but it was a great race, excellent water/gatorade at every mile, safe route, all that good stuff! I may look into doing the entire 5 Borough series if they do it again next year!

Question, though! I knocked 8 minutes off of my time. Will that make a difference in corral placement? I wonder if I should submit my new time, or just leave it the way it is? I know that with my slow time, I will be in the back somewhere, I always am, but if it will move me up, that would be awesome! My old time was 2:35 and my new time is 2:27
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #3165
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepcft View Post
Congrats on all of the PRs, and hugs to Vern for the DNF, but I agree, better to stay healthy and race in Disney!
The SI Half was amazing, a little hilly, and it rained at the end, but it was a great race, excellent water/gatorade at every mile, safe route, all that good stuff! I may look into doing the entire 5 Borough series if they do it again next year!

Question, though! I knocked 8 minutes off of my time. Will that make a difference in corral placement? I wonder if I should submit my new time, or just leave it the way it is? I know that with my slow time, I will be in the back somewhere, I always am, but if it will move me up, that would be awesome! My old time was 2:35 and my new time is 2:27
It's possible you might be in a different corral if the cut off is 2:30. You might want to go to the Expo and ask.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: