Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #3136
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy

hey! i live in the Bronx! and i take off....oh who am i kidding, my long runs lately have definitely had their fair share of weird things to look at! i ran my 15 miler yesterday. left my house and ran up the shore road to new rochelle and back. i ran through pelham bay park and saw a guy running while jingling bells in this hands

vernrdh - i'm bummed that you weren't able to finish but i think the most important thing you wrote there is that you're taking it as a learning experience. that way you know you'll kill it in january! i did the bronx 10 mile race a few weeks ago and it was horrible. i finished but barely. and i learned alot. i learned to better hydrate, etc etc. good luck with the rest of your training and i hope the pf issues go away!
That's a nice area to run! I lived not too far from Pelham Parkway. I miss the pizza and the Italian bakeries. I have yet to find anything comparable on Long Island but it's the water. Bronx tap water is the best!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #3137
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENR View Post
I have a few questions. I will be doing the full marathon in January. I am staying off site so I am not sure what time I should get to the Epcot parking lot and how long will it take me to get there. Will the traffic be really bad?
The race instructions are better than they used to be... but you do not want to follow the typical GPS instructions coming onsite via Epcot Drive. You want to arrive and head up World Drive. As the pp said, I would plan on arriving at 3:15 - 3:30. You have the car to rest in.

PM my with your location and I can give better directions
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #3138
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH View Post
My first marathon-my first DNF. Was okay for the first half, then around mile 15 the nausea started. The thought of ingesting ANYTHING made it worse. It would come and go, and I took some water. I knew I still had almost 8 miles to go by this point, so I decided to try a Gu. Bad choice. It came right back up on me. So I kept moving, walking mostly. Then my foot with the PF really acted up and the transition from bike path to roads with a significant camber didn't help. I opted to call it at mile 19.8 at the water stop.

While I am disappointed that I did not finish, this was a learning experience. I also decided not to push myself and risk more injury, since I am doing Goofy in January. I probably could have finished just walking, but there is a 5:30 time limit and I would not have made it. The weather was perfect today, cool and cloudy, no wind or rain. The volunteers were awesome as always. I just couldn't get it done.

I will take a little time off and reassess and then start with a training plan for Goofy (I think I am going to modify the one I have).
Sorry to hear this. Rest up a week and then come back slowly.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 10-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #3139
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepcft View Post
Still catching up on yesterday's posts but wanted to share that I ran the Staten Island Half and PRd! My time was 2:27 and my former time was 2:35!! SO excited!
Hooray!!! Congrats!!!

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #3140
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

Quote:
My first marathon-my first DNF. Was okay for the first half, then around mile 15 the nausea started. The thought of ingesting ANYTHING made it worse. It would come and go, and I took some water. I knew I still had almost 8 miles to go by this point, so I decided to try a Gu. Bad choice. It came right back up on me. So I kept moving, walking mostly. Then my foot with the PF really acted up and the transition from bike path to roads with a significant camber didn't help. I opted to call it at mile 19.8 at the water stop.

While I am disappointed that I did not finish, this was a learning experience. I also decided not to push myself and risk more injury, since I am doing Goofy in January. I probably could have finished just walking, but there is a 5:30 time limit and I would not have made it. The weather was perfect today, cool and cloudy, no wind or rain. The volunteers were awesome as always. I just couldn't get it done.

I will take a little time off and reassess and then start with a training plan for Goofy (I think I am going to modify the one I have).
HUGS!! You did much farther than most do and the learning part is a bonus (silver lining) and there is still 13ish weeks before the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepcft View Post
Still catching up on yesterday's posts but wanted to share that I ran the Staten Island Half and PRd! My time was 2:27 and my former time was 2:35!! SO excited!
Sounds like a lot of us had PR's today...

I did 15 miles but I walked the last two miles after doing a half today. I finished in 2:37:50 - a PR for me. That is 6.5 minutes better than the half I did 2 weeks ago and 17 minutes better than the Disneyland half 5 weeks ago. This course also had tons of hills too! I'm pretty happy and proud of myself

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #3141
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Congrats to all who PR'd this weekend! I have a half next weekend. We'll see how that goes.

Vern, so sorry about your troubles with the full. Take some time to rest up and recover and you will surely rock it at Disney!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #3142
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

Quick question -
My time was one that I just submitted to Disney because it is my best half time ever and it is under the 2:45 threshold.

Do they reply when you email them with your submittal to let you know they have received your email?

Thanks

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
Old 10-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #3143
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

I have a question about pre-race food. I'm doing the 1/2-what type of breakfast do some of you prefer before a race? I'm assuming the food courts aren't open so we'll need to make sure we have something in the room?

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #3144
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

Thanks again everyone for the virtual . It is a learning experience, I am starting to work on a plan. Hoping to get back to walking later this week and running next week.

Tummy is fine now, though the trouble definately made me dehydrated. I have been pounding water all afternoon and evening, that is also making me feel better. Now off to bed-have to work tomorrow
Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #3145
rocio
DIS Veteran

So great to hear about all the PRs!! Congrats to all.
Vern, sorry.to hear about your DNF. Must be a bummer but you ran so much more than many others. More than I ever have. Rest up and celebrate your accomplishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs
I have a question about pre-race food. I'm doing the 1/2-what type of breakfast do some of you prefer before a race? I'm assuming the food courts aren't open so we'll need to make sure we have something in the room?
For through Princeess year the food court had racer breakfast packs for sale for about $5. They didnt hE them out. I had yo ask for one but I had heard about them here. If I recall, they had a bagel, peanut butter, banana, water bottle and maybe a cereal bar. It was perfect for me since I usually have toast with peanut butter and banana as my pre run breakfast.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #3146
SPAM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbler View Post
Quick question -
My time was one that I just submitted to Disney because it is my best half time ever and it is under the 2:45 threshold.

Do they reply when you email them with your submittal to let you know they have received your email?

Thanks
I just finally got an email back because I updated my time and I sent it after a 15k on September 16th.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #3147
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH
Thanks again everyone for the virtual . It is a learning experience, I am starting to work on a plan. Hoping to get back to walking later this week and running next week.

Tummy is fine now, though the trouble definately made me dehydrated. I have been pounding water all afternoon and evening, that is also making me feel better. Now off to bed-have to work tomorrow
I am sorry to about the DNF but it sounds like you made the 'smart athlete' decision to live and run another day and be safe.

There will be other races and next time, you, the wiser runner will prevail.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 10-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #3148
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2PrncChrmgs View Post
In prior years, the food courts have been open, although the selection has been extremely sparse. If there is a food that you need to have, bring it with you. Pack it in your luggage - some people have gone so far as to pack their own toasters and the like!

Just doing the half? I have been known to chow down on twizzlers and candy - they don't cause me GI issues, they're quick and easy calories, and I can pack a small back and bring it with me to the start. But that's me. Right now, you should be trying different things - peanut butter & toast/bagels is fairly common, as are bananas or granola bars.

Oh yeah - I have done dry cereal as well. That worked passably well, but I was hungry at mile 16. (Not a problem in the half though - for a shorter race, it probably would have served me just fine.)

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #3149
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Oh, that stinks. No DNF is pleasant, but if you run enough, you'll have one. You made the right call, I think. There are always other races, and there is no point in hurting yourself.

(FWIW - in the ultra community, DNF also stands for "Did Nothing Foolish/Fatal".)

On the plus side - it means that Disney can be your first marathon.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #3150
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad
.(FWIW - in the ultra community, DNF also stands for "Did Nothing Foolish/Fatal".)
I love that!!!
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: