Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #3121
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking

Gee...that's a great question. Maybe do a small 2-3 mile mid week?
I am impressed with all the races you are doing! Are these in prep for the Disney or do you just enjoy racing? I have not done a race in two years and decided to do a 10k next month just to get in a corral. I didn't realize how nervous I was until I signed up. I used to race all the time and doing the Disney was an after thought but always on my bucket list. I am only doing the half because at 43 I don't think I have a full in me anymore!
BOTH! I love the energy that race day brings and training is actually something DH and I do together for the marathon.

I saw guys dressed as women with balloon ****s and everything today! Where can you see that while just training? LOL Well, maybe if I still lived in the Bronx, LOL!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #3122
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
BOTH! I love the energy that race day brings and training is actually something DH and I do together for the marathon.

I saw guys dressed as women with balloon ****s and everything today! Where can you see that while just training? LOL Well, maybe if I still lived in the Bronx, LOL!!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #3123
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Thanks! I was trying to push so I could see DD's soccer game but I didn't make it because of the traffic getting out.

Now I have the Rock n Roll 10k on Saturday. How do I build back up for that?

SabeKing was dead on. There is a good chance that you are not feel like running before the 10k. I would just head out for a light... really light couple of runs. Maybe 15-30 minutes Tuesday and 30-45 minutes on Thursday.

Also, great job on gutting your previous PR. without knowing you effort this weekend, I would bet that you are destined for a 2:10 - 2:20 race in January.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #3124
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait

SabeKing was dead on. There is a good chance that you are not feel like running before the 10k. I would just head out for a light... really light couple of runs. Maybe 15-30 minutes Tuesday and 30-45 minutes on Thursday.

Also, great job on gutting your previous PR. without knowing you effort this weekend, I would bet that you are destined for a 2:10 - 2:20 race in January.
Thanks! Think that time will translate to less than 6 for the marathon?

PHM was my first and my training was sidelined a month before when I was rear ended. Today, I didn't stop running until the 10k mark so my endurance is getting better. For the marathon, if I can run the full 13.1 before switching to walk/run, I think I'll be in good shape.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #3125
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

My first marathon-my first DNF. Was okay for the first half, then around mile 15 the nausea started. The thought of ingesting ANYTHING made it worse. It would come and go, and I took some water. I knew I still had almost 8 miles to go by this point, so I decided to try a Gu. Bad choice. It came right back up on me. So I kept moving, walking mostly. Then my foot with the PF really acted up and the transition from bike path to roads with a significant camber didn't help. I opted to call it at mile 19.8 at the water stop.

While I am disappointed that I did not finish, this was a learning experience. I also decided not to push myself and risk more injury, since I am doing Goofy in January. I probably could have finished just walking, but there is a 5:30 time limit and I would not have made it. The weather was perfect today, cool and cloudy, no wind or rain. The volunteers were awesome as always. I just couldn't get it done.

I will take a little time off and reassess and then start with a training plan for Goofy (I think I am going to modify the one I have).
Old 10-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #3126
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH
My first marathon-my first DNF. Was okay for the first half, then around mile 15 the nausea started. The thought of ingesting ANYTHING made it worse. It would come and go, and I took some water. I knew I still had almost 8 miles to go by this point, so I decided to try a Gu. Bad choice. It came right back up on me. So I kept moving, walking mostly. Then my foot with the PF really acted up and the transition from bike path to roads with a significant camber didn't help. I opted to call it at mile 19.8 at the water stop.

While I am disappointed that I did not finish, this was a learning experience. I also decided not to push myself and risk more injury, since I am doing Goofy in January. I probably could have finished just walking, but there is a 5:30 time limit and I would not have made it. The weather was perfect today, cool and cloudy, no wind or rain. The volunteers were awesome as always. I just couldn't get it done.

I will take a little time off and reassess and then start with a training plan for Goofy (I think I am going to modify the one I have).
I'm so sorry you couldn't finish. Are you feeling better?

Old 10-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #3127
JENR
Disney Addict

I have a few questions. I will be doing the full marathon in January. I am staying off site so I am not sure what time I should get to the Epcot parking lot and how long will it take me to get there. Will the traffic be really bad?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #3128
deekaypee
Mouseketeer
Ah, life in my Disney daydream is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH View Post

I'm sorry to hear about your DNF and issues; it sounds like a rough race. It may be of small comfort, but you made the right call for your situation and keeping your race schedule in mind. And making it 19.8 miles is quite an accomplishment - right back to the WISH motto!

Do you know what might have caused the nausea so you can adjust your training, etc. And are you feeling better? How's the PF?

JenR: We've traveled from offsite but I can't remember exactly when we leave, so I'm guesstimating. Generally, though, you want to plan on being on property earlier; as it gets closer to the race traffic gets pretty backed up. It's a 5:30 start time, with a 5 a.m. corral call, and bags need to be checked in an hour before (if you do that). It's also about a 20-minute walk from Epcot parking lot to the corrals.

We cut it close one year, thinking we could arrive on World at 4:15 a.m. or so and not do bag check. Traffic was bad and we were still walking to the corrals when A corral started. Very stressful. Now, I think we leave with enough time to be on Disney property between 3:15 a.m. and 3:30 a.m.. At that time, the traffic was light and getting to Epcot a breeze. (I'll double check the times with my husband and edit them if I'm off.)
... ................
Old 10-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #3129
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

Quote:
I'm so sorry you couldn't finish. Are you feeling better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekaypee View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your DNF and issues; it sounds like a rough race. It may be of small comfort, but you made the right call for your situation and keeping your race schedule in mind. And making it 19.8 miles is quite an accomplishment - right back to the WISH motto!

Do you know what might have caused the nausea so you can adjust your training, etc. And are you feeling better? How's the PF?

JenR: We've traveled from offsite but I can't remember exactly when we leave, so I'm guesstimating. Generally, though, you want to plan on being on property earlier; as it gets closer to the race traffic gets pretty backed up. It's a 5:30 start time, with a 5 a.m. corral call, and bags need to be checked in an hour before (if you do that). It's also about a 20-minute walk from Epcot parking lot to the corrals.

We cut it close one year, thinking we could arrive on World at 4:15 a.m. or so and not do bag check. Traffic was bad and we were still walking to the corrals when A corral started. Very stressful. Now, I think we leave with enough time to be on Disney property between 3:15 a.m. and 3:30 a.m.. At that time, the traffic was light and getting to Epcot a breeze. (I'll double check the times with my husband and edit them if I'm off.)
I am feeling better, the tummy thing-I just don't know why it happened. I did nothing different from my 20 miler (which was warmer by the end). The PF was aggravated by the extra walking plus the road camber in the city (roads are cr@ppy here). I couldn't justify risking more injury by continuing, though apparently they did not hold to the 5:30 time limit, as the last finisher was 7:07.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #3130
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH View Post
I am feeling better, the tummy thing-I just don't know why it happened. I did nothing different from my 20 miler (which was warmer by the end). The PF was aggravated by the extra walking plus the road camber in the city (roads are cr@ppy here). I couldn't justify risking more injury by continuing, though apparently they did not hold to the 5:30 time limit, as the last finisher was 7:07.
Sorry to hear about the DNF and your stomach. You did the right thing by stopping.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #3131
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep

Still catching up on yesterday's posts but wanted to share that I ran the Staten Island Half and PRd! My time was 2:27 and my former time was 2:35!! SO excited!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #3132
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepcft
Still catching up on yesterday's posts but wanted to share that I ran the Staten Island Half and PRd! My time was 2:27 and my former time was 2:35!! SO excited!
Awesome! Congrats!!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #3133
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepcft View Post
Woo Hoo! Way to go Kim!!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #3134
RadioFanatic
Mouseketeer
SO not a jewelry gal
I would like to introduce dh and myself - Doofus and Sleezy Chuckledoodle

I'm so sorry Vern! Did I meet you in the beginning of the race? I was in a green shirt and I talked to someone who was doing goofy in January.

I did finish, but boy was it tough! I got in three minutes under my hoped for time. Seeing my dh and 4 year old DS at three different spots on the way and DS running with me a bit each time was what helped me, that's for sure.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #3135
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

hey! i live in the Bronx! and i take off....oh who am i kidding, my long runs lately have definitely had their fair share of weird things to look at! i ran my 15 miler yesterday. left my house and ran up the shore road to new rochelle and back. i ran through pelham bay park and saw a guy running while jingling bells in this hands

vernrdh - i'm bummed that you weren't able to finish but i think the most important thing you wrote there is that you're taking it as a learning experience. that way you know you'll kill it in january! i did the bronx 10 mile race a few weeks ago and it was horrible. i finished but barely. and i learned alot. i learned to better hydrate, etc etc. good luck with the rest of your training and i hope the pf issues go away!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: