Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #3076
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Kudos to all of you who can do long runs on the treadmill! I think the most I can tolerate on the TM is 5 or 6. I can't fathom 15-17 miles with no change in scenery. I did a 17 miler last week that was an out and back along the beach and even that was getting boring after awhile. Could be cuz it's my usual route, but some of the roads have a lot less traffic and it's usually cooler than going inland.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #3077
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3
Opinions: I'm doing a Galloway training schedule. This weekend I'm running a local half marathon, next weekend is a cut-back weekend. The weekend after I'm scheduled for a 7 mile walk on Saturday and 18 mile run on Sunday. Problem? I'll be in New Orleans for a conference and have been told the area around the convention center isn't the safest, especially to start a really early morning run. I'm willing to do both on the treadmill (all of my long runs to date have been outdoors) but is that a mistake? Putting the mind-numbingly boring issue aside, of course. And assuming the fitness center opens early enough. I won't have a car so I can't drive someplace else to run. The following weekend we have a lot of children's activities so it's not better.

Thanks!
Amanda

PS I'm training for the Goofy in case that wasn't clear.
If you have an iPad buy a season worth of shows...I find I get through long treadmill run(if i have to)
a lot easier if I have a series I can watch.. It is tough but honestly it is the only way I can get through a treadmill run.. I would not run 18 miles in an unknown city by myself. Too risky. Plus I have found on the long runs my phone battery dies, between the gps, and iPod it drains the battery quickly. I would not want to get lost on an 18 mile run without a phone.. Good luck!! Just think it will make the marathon that much easier if you can stand the treadmill that long. Lol.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #3078
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice ya'll!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #3079
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
Opinions: I'm doing a Galloway training schedule. This weekend I'm running a local half marathon, next weekend is a cut-back weekend. The weekend after I'm scheduled for a 7 mile walk on Saturday and 18 mile run on Sunday. Problem? I'll be in New Orleans for a conference and have been told the area around the convention center isn't the safest, especially to start a really early morning run. I'm willing to do both on the treadmill (all of my long runs to date have been outdoors) but is that a mistake? Putting the mind-numbingly boring issue aside, of course. And assuming the fitness center opens early enough. I won't have a car so I can't drive someplace else to run. The following weekend we have a lot of children's activities so it's not better.

Thanks!
Amanda

PS I'm training for the Goofy in case that wasn't clear.
Run 5-7 in N'Orleans and bag the longer one. Missing a run here or there will not wreck the race.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #3080
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB6876 View Post
If you have an iPad buy a season worth of shows...I find I get through long treadmill run(if i have to)
a lot easier if I have a series I can watch.. It is tough but honestly it is the only way I can get through a treadmill run.. I would not run 18 miles in an unknown city by myself. Too risky. Plus I have found on the long runs my phone battery dies, between the gps, and iPod it drains the battery quickly. I would not want to get lost on an 18 mile run without a phone.. Good luck!! Just think it will make the marathon that much easier if you can stand the treadmill that long. Lol.
Turn your 3G (or 4G) off. Oh and the wifi. The 'gps' function is really not a GPS function. It is triagulating off local cell towers so it only needs the cell antenna. I find that if you shut these down I can run the entire marathon on less than half the battery.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 10-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #3081
lerxst
Marathoner

Just finished 10 miles. First, what a difference my wider shoes made. Feet don't ache like previous double digit runs.

Second, Honey Stingers. Where have you been all my life? So much better than the GUs I was forcing down. And they taste so darn good.

Thanks for the tip!

Happy training everyone!

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #3082
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait

Turn your 3G (or 4G) off. Oh and the wifi. The 'gps' function is really not a GPS function. It is triagulating off local cell towers so it only needs the cell antenna. I find that if you shut these down I can run the entire marathon on less than half the battery.
I am going to try that thanks!!!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #3083
Mickey'sfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post

thank you, thank you, thank you for this advice!!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #3084
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Running a 1/2 tomorrow morning and this morning I woke up with a scratchy throat. DD and DH have had a cold for a more than a week and I've managed to not get it........until now. Aargh! Why do they insist on sharing????

Any tips for not making it worse? The weather forecast looks crappy so there's another bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #3085
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
Running a 1/2 tomorrow morning and this morning I woke up with a scratchy throat. DD and DH have had a cold for a more than a week and I've managed to not get it........until now. Aargh! Why do they insist on sharing????

Any tips for not making it worse? The weather forecast looks crappy so there's another bonus.

The rule of thumb is go ahead and run if above the throat but sit out and rest if below the throat.

As long as you are only feeling scratchy and are not running a fever, go for it. Today - hydrate. You will be exhaling more as you cough or otherwise fight the scratchiness - that will tend to dehydrate you. I would also look to something like EmergenC
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #3086
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the advice!
I'm going to check out the fitness center and make a decision once I'm there. I have to be in meetings all day so the walk/run will both have to start early - probably too early to do even a 7 miler outdoors in a strange city.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #3087
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait

The rule of thumb is go ahead and run if above the throat but sit out and rest if below the throat.

As long as you are only feeling scratchy and are not running a fever, go for it. Today - hydrate. You will be exhaling more as you cough or otherwise fight the scratchiness - that will tend to dehydrate you. I would also look to something like EmergenC
Hoping it doesn't go below! I ran a 10k with a chest cold back in June. Ugh. I needed a week off work after that.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #3088
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos

That stinks!! Can you run with a cough drop or hard candy. I had a soar throat and it gets scratchy after a run. I would suggest keeping it wet with water or a drop of some sort.
Good luck!

Old 10-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #3089
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Had a local 1/2 marathon this morning and it was awful!! I started out too fast and completely bonked. Plus it was 83 by the finish with 95% humidity. I was drenched. Add to all that I had a migraine for the past two days. It was my worst 1/2 EVER!!! Going to do 10 tomorrow at recovery pace, hope it goes better.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Old 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #3090
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Long run complete. 13 miles using a walk/run/walk/run...system. Actually faster than I wanted to be, 2:20 and was thinking 2:30 would be good. Beautiful day here. The last mile was mostly walk, and this was my first time doing the walk/run and the beeper didn't sound on my watch, need to work on that and do a test. I was working on a 3 min run/2 min. walk...worked well and then as I pooped out, I went to 2 min. run/3 min. walk. Just had to keep looking at my watch.
I decided on a run 3 days a week program from an old Women's Running (Mar/Apr '11) magazine. Two days of cross training and two days off.
I really thought this would be easier after walking 12-18 miles a day, and carrying a 14 pound pack for 3 weeks in Sept. My Monday run of 6 miles was good but my legs (upper), quads, hams and sides were sore for 3 days.
Hope all the LR's are going well for everyone.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: