Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #3061
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112 View Post
Also, I feel great except for some blisters on the ball of my foot close to wear my toes meet my foot. I already use smart wool socks (I have for a while). I slather my feet with vaseline before I do long distances per the suggestion of another runner. Anyone have any other advice to prevent blisters? I DNF Goofy 2009 because of some wicked blisters and I would love to just eliminate this problem. Maybe I should try some different socks?
Have you tried Injinji socks yet? They have lightweight and midweight to try that have different effects on your feet and shoes. I also use a lot of BodyGlide on my feet to avoid blistering, wherever blisters tend to form. I've heard it lasts longer than Vaseline, though someone with more experience could probably answer that better than I. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding what combination of things work for YOUR feet. Good luck!

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #3062
Mickeyfan74
Mouseketeer

Tot

Hello Ducks,

Been out of touch for a bit. Completed the TOT in 2:32 with a 15 min mile pace. First time (3rd event) I did the whole thing without any bathroom or stretching breaks! A bit dissapointed with little entertainment along the way but I do realize it was late in the evening. Skipped the party I couldn't see with the crowds that I would even be able to get on one ride.

Looking forward to Half in January
Booked into POR for the 10th. Planning on meeting ducks at Saratoga Springs for dinner Saturday the 12th. Unless something has changed I'm open to any dining location.

Have a great weekend. Temps cooling now a bit here in N. FLA
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #3063
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp
I emailed runDisney to change shirt size. I received an email back saying its too late. Anyone else run into this? Should I try calling? I have lost a bunch of weight since I registered and don't want to be swimming in the size I requested!
As long as they still have stock, you should be able to change at the Expo.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #3064
Goofierunner
Mickey says, "Now get out there and run!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112
I still have some work to do but I was very pleased with 9 miles in 2:26:26 this morning. That is a 16:16 minutes per mile pace(and it was outside not on a treadmill). I have had a lot of improvement from June until now. I was 19-20 minutes per mile back at the beginning. Any suggestions on ways to improve my pace? I have been doing spin classes and a trekking class at the y (intervals mostly) and that seems to be helping. I know I need to get faster so I will have a cushion in case I need to stop at a port o potty or something during the marathon. I don't want to get swept.

Also, I feel great except for some blisters on the ball of my foot close to wear my toes meet my foot. I already use smart wool socks (I have for a while). I slather my feet with vaseline before I do long distances per the suggestion of another runner. Anyone have any other advice to prevent blisters? I DNF Goofy 2009 because of some wicked blisters and I would love to just eliminate this problem. Maybe I should try some different socks?
Hi. Fellow blister sufferer here. I have to wear rubber toe caps on a couple of my digits because my big toe and second toe rub together like nobody's business. I tried band aids and tape and they just slide off. For the bottoms I will sometimes wear the larger band aid pads and that seems to stave off the hot spots. I've used the smart wool socks also, but the wigwam triathlon thin socks work better for me.

And great job on improving your pace! You won't get swept. Just keep moving.

First I do this Then I do this but I wish I was at
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #3065
tehvalerie
Mouseketeer

resort hotels for marathon weekend

Sorry that this is bit of a repetitive post, but I can't find the thread where everyone was talking about the different resort hotels for marathon weekend. I guess threads are deleted after being inactive for a certain amount of time?

Anyway, we're currently booked at AoA for the whole marathon week (1/12-18) but now that they've released that sale for Disney Visa cardholders we're talking about switching hotels for Saturday and Sunday nights. (The friends we're traveling with are booked for AoA but not runners, and we don't want to be away from them all week, and of course, the discount doesn't apply to the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA, which is what we have booked!)

The two options we're considering are the Caribbean Beach Resort and Port Orleans Riverside. Any pluses or minuses to either of these in terms of race morning? I'm leaning toward Port Orleans because it looks a little nicer and is on the north side of Epcot closer to the start/finish. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #3066
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehvalerie View Post
The two options we're considering are the Caribbean Beach Resort and Port Orleans Riverside. Any pluses or minuses to either of these in terms of race morning? I'm leaning toward Port Orleans because it looks a little nicer and is on the north side of Epcot closer to the start/finish. Thanks!
I like Port Orleans because it is so close to the start (although I take the bus), but also I love the boat ride to downtown Disney restaurants. Also seemed nice and quiet.

I did stay at the Contemporary one time, which was quite nice (monorail ride to start), but I can't do the $$$ this time.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #3067
Reep
Mouseketeer

I just switched to Infinji socks and love them for toe-to-toe issues, but not sure they would help for the bottom of your foot. The first thing I would try is a different pair of shoes. Blisters there are often related to the shape of the inside of the shoe.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #3068
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer

I have always gotten them there(on the bottom) on runs over 8-10 miles. Maybe my shoe size has changed. I haven't been fitted in a few years and my weight has fluctuated a lot through two pregnancies.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #3069
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehvalerie
Sorry that this is bit of a repetitive post, but I can't find the thread where everyone was talking about the different resort hotels for marathon weekend. I guess threads are deleted after being inactive for a certain amount of time?

Anyway, we're currently booked at AoA for the whole marathon week (1/12-18) but now that they've released that sale for Disney Visa cardholders we're talking about switching hotels for Saturday and Sunday nights. (The friends we're traveling with are booked for AoA but not runners, and we don't want to be away from them all week, and of course, the discount doesn't apply to the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA, which is what we have booked!)

We just stayed at Port Orleans Riverside for the Tower if Terror 10 Mile race and loved it! In the past we've stayed at the Polynesian and the Contemporary for Marathon Weekend. I think the bus transportation for the weekend will be great no matter where you stay. We've stayed at both CSR and POR before and I love POR's amenities and also the access by boat to DTD like a pp mentioned. I think it is a great resort to stay at for the price. Love the food court, access to POFQ/food court, pool, lobby area, River Roost Lounge, etc.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #3070
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112
I use Experia socks during my long runs and I love them. They're only padded in front and on the heel and they come up above the shoe so my Achilles heel doesn't blister.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #3071
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehvalerie View Post

We selected POR for proximity. We have stayed in FWL in the past. It appears to be really nice from what I can tell. I was wondering since it is fairly close what time we would need to be on the bus? I can't believe the deal we got through DV! I saved almost 1000 on my ressie!

Last edited by Sabeking; 10-05-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: did not take text
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #3072
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
I just switched to Infinji socks and love them for toe-to-toe issues, but not sure they would help for the bottom of your foot. The first thing I would try is a different pair of shoes. Blisters there are often related to the shape of the inside of the shoe.
I have run in Injini for 3 years and love them, though they do take a little getting used to. I was having a middle toe rubbing blisters on the fourth toe issue... bad enough that I could not walk the day after a long run. These guys rid that issue.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #3073
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112 View Post
I still have some work to do but I was very pleased with 9 miles in 2:26:26 this morning. That is a 16:16 minutes per mile pace(and it was outside not on a treadmill). I have had a lot of improvement from June until now. I was 19-20 minutes per mile back at the beginning. Any suggestions on ways to improve my pace? I have been doing spin classes and a trekking class at the y (intervals mostly) and that seems to be helping. I know I need to get faster so I will have a cushion in case I need to stop at a port o potty or something during the marathon. I don't want to get swept.
Cool beans...

Keep up the Spinning class. May sure to keep resistance on enough to continually build the legs.

I am not sure what Trekking classes are but I envision a treadmill class with lots of hills. If this is correct, then keep on with these hilly intervals as well. I used to teach a treadmill class that lasted an hour where the base class was at 6% incline then went UP.

Just make sure that you keep your intensity near anaerobic at the ends of the intervals---- the point where you caould not really talk other than a couple syllables per breath. This will build strength and help push up your anaerobic threshold allowing you to do more work with less effort (i.e. faster and further easier).

Other things you can look at are your nutrition. Keep you diet closer to balanced than the typical American. A 40:30:30 Carb:Protein:Fat diet is not too low in carbs. This will provide adequate Carb for your running.

Finally, with all the work, keep hydrated. Try to consume about an ounce for water for every two pounds of body weight. example, if you weight 120, consume 60 oz water daily
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #3074
lerxst
Marathoner

Excited that got my new running shoes in. Now running in a wide...who'd a thunk it?

So pumped that I am gonna do my ten miles tomorrow morning instead of Sunday.

Also, trying Honey Stingers for the first time. Curious after reviews here.

I must be insane to be looking forward to long runs....

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #3075
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

Opinions: I'm doing a Galloway training schedule. This weekend I'm running a local half marathon, next weekend is a cut-back weekend. The weekend after I'm scheduled for a 7 mile walk on Saturday and 18 mile run on Sunday. Problem? I'll be in New Orleans for a conference and have been told the area around the convention center isn't the safest, especially to start a really early morning run. I'm willing to do both on the treadmill (all of my long runs to date have been outdoors) but is that a mistake? Putting the mind-numbingly boring issue aside, of course. And assuming the fitness center opens early enough. I won't have a car so I can't drive someplace else to run. The following weekend we have a lot of children's activities so it's not better.

Thanks!
Amanda

PS I'm training for the Goofy in case that wasn't clear.
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: