Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #3046
SPAM
DIS Veteran

I booked the new Disney Visa deal today, I had to cancel my package through runDisney and rebook through the regular reservation line, it was not transferable. I am booked at Pop Century and for a 4 night stay with 5 day myw tickets and qsdp. I upgraded to a preferred room (they did not have any standards left) and still saved over $200 for a 2 adult package.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #3047
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgirl View Post
Hi Guys, So sad as I have injured my left foot right near the 5th metarsal. going to doctor tomorrow to rule out a stress fracture. This was last Thursday. Didn't run for 2 days, went out Sunday for 6 miles. Okay during the run but achy afterwards. I have been holding 35-50 miles per week for a few months and had gotten two 18 mile long runs in. Pain is still there. Haven't run since Sunday and it is killing me.
My friends aren't runners so they don't understand the frustration that I have about taking time off. I am concerned that I am running out of time for the marathon if I get sidelined. My head says to get out running. I don't know if cross training for a couple weeks instead will be enough to maintain my fitness.

Sorry - had to vent as I have looked forward to the marathon since last Feb's Princess run. REALLY WANT to run the marathon.
PANICKING!!!!!!
I hope it's not a fracture. The continuous pain leads me to a fracture of the 5th metatarsal. Good luck at the doc.

Understand that if you do have an injury, you are best off following the doctors orders. Do not think you can cheat healing time. Yes, we all know that a doctor's 6 weeks is conservative, but it is conservative for a reason. You do not want to be the one that really needed the entire time and then re injure. You are MORE THAN READY for the marathon if you are forced to take time off. If you are out for a period of time, come back slowly. Restarting from a mid November date with your base is very doable and has been done by many. Your goal would be to work up to the 16-20 mile range again in a controlled manner.

Hopefully, you will just need a couple weeks off. Again good luck
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #3048
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgirl
Hi Guys, So sad as I have injured my left foot right near the 5th metarsal. going to doctor tomorrow to rule out a stress fracture. This was last Thursday. Didn't run for 2 days, went out Sunday for 6 miles. Okay during the run but achy afterwards. I have been holding 35-50 miles per week for a few months and had gotten two 18 mile long runs in. Pain is still there. Haven't run since Sunday and it is killing me.
My friends aren't runners so they don't understand the frustration that I have about taking time off. I am concerned that I am running out of time for the marathon if I get sidelined. My head says to get out running. I don't know if cross training for a couple weeks instead will be enough to maintain my fitness.

Sorry - had to vent as I have looked forward to the marathon since last Feb's Princess run. REALLY WANT to run the marathon.
PANICKING!!!!!!
Test from my doctor...grab your toes and pull them down. While holding those down push on the "knuckle" joint. If there is substantial pain when you do that, it's clearly a stress fracture. There is a good video on YouTube about it as well.

Hopefully it's just inflammation and plantar fascitis flare up.

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
Old 10-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #3049
rocio
DIS Veteran

100 days! So exciting! I'm even more excited about the race now as my two training partners and good friends decided to join me for the race! We were able to get entries for them through one of the travel agencies!! YAY!!! I have travel buddies! I know they'll leave me in the dust for the race, but we'll travel together, expend nervous energy together, hang out in the corral together and celebrate together So happy!

How is everybody doing? Since I ran that half marathon last weekend, I am following coach's advice and doing a shorter run this weekend. I thought I could maybe jump to the 15 miles and catch the program but I've had some bad runs this week. So I'll do 4 this week and catch 15 the following and see if I can do 17 the weekend right after. Those numbers are scaring me. The most I've ever done is half marathon distances. This is all uncharted territory for me.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #3050
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post

How is everybody doing? Since I ran that half marathon last weekend, I am following coach's advice and doing a shorter run this weekend. I thought I could maybe jump to the 15 miles and catch the program but I've had some bad runs this week. So I'll do 4 this week and catch 15 the following and see if I can do 17 the weekend right after. Those numbers are scaring me. The most I've ever done is half marathon distances. This is all uncharted territory for me.
I have only run 13.1 so far, although at my Half on Sept 16 I did walk 2 miles to the race and 2 miles back lol. I won't be hitting 17 until November 3, I am completely skipping 15, because of my other 2 Halfs, so we will see how 17 goes! Good luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #3051
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
100 days! So exciting! I'm even more excited about the race now as my two training partners and good friends decided to join me for the race! We were able to get entries for them through one of the travel agencies!! YAY!!! I have travel buddies! I know they'll leave me in the dust for the race, but we'll travel together, expend nervous energy together, hang out in the corral together and celebrate together So happy!

I just did 10 for the ToT 10 miler, so this week is 4, and then I'll be doing 12. I'm basically keeping with the program, but only going up to 23 miles. I may not even do that and just do 2 20 mile runs. I honestly wouldn't worry about "catching up" now. It would be must easier to just do a 1 week cutback instead of a 2 week cutback after the 17 mile run than to do 2 long runs in a row.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #3052
msufan
Earning My Ears

Please don't shoot!!!

I know I am probably not supposed to ask this, but is there anyway to buy a marathon registration from someone? My husband and I were supposed to move overseas at the end of December, but we found out earlier this week that it would be later. Of course the marathon is already full.
We both, however, would like to run it. Any recommendations? Or anybody want to sell? I need both a guys and a girls bib. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #3053
randomiam79
Mouseketeer

Anyone else on the Galloway plan do their 15 miler today. Seemed much easier than the 13mile run a couple weeks ago. Maybe I'm just getting over the hump mentally. Our maybe it was cutting out two of the bridges!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #3054
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msufan View Post

I know I am probably not supposed to ask this, but is there anyway to buy a marathon registration from someone? My husband and I were supposed to move overseas at the end of December, but we found out earlier this week that it would be later. Of course the marathon is already full.
We both, however, would like to run it. Any recommendations? Or anybody want to sell? I need both a guys and a girls bib. Thanks.
Disney's official policy is that no transfer or selling of bibs is allowed. That said, there's a guy named Craig that has a list you may have heard about.

John
Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #3055
Qltrgrl2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msufan View Post

You can always check out the charity websites and what about Get Travel? You would have to book a room through them, but they usually have registration spots.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #3056
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Disney's official policy is that no transfer or selling of bibs is allowed. That said, there's a guy named Craig that has a list you may have heard about.
Don't forget his cousin, Ms Ebay. But I would also suggest keeping it on the up and up and try to get in through a travel operator or charity. You do not want Mrs John Doe getting a call early Sunday morning if something happens on course.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #3057
rocio
DIS Veteran

My two friends just registered this week through the Travel Operator listed on the RunDisney website. It didn't cost them anymore. In fact, it was cheaper for them ($140), I wish I had known that. I would have gone through them too! We just had to book a 3 night stay at a Disney Resort through them which we were planning to stay at anyway. So honestly, this worked out great for us. I just have to cancel my Disney hotel reservation now since we're staying together.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #3058
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer

I still have some work to do but I was very pleased with 9 miles in 2:26:26 this morning. That is a 16:16 minutes per mile pace(and it was outside not on a treadmill). I have had a lot of improvement from June until now. I was 19-20 minutes per mile back at the beginning. Any suggestions on ways to improve my pace? I have been doing spin classes and a trekking class at the y (intervals mostly) and that seems to be helping. I know I need to get faster so I will have a cushion in case I need to stop at a port o potty or something during the marathon. I don't want to get swept.

Also, I feel great except for some blisters on the ball of my foot close to wear my toes meet my foot. I already use smart wool socks (I have for a while). I slather my feet with vaseline before I do long distances per the suggestion of another runner. Anyone have any other advice to prevent blisters? I DNF Goofy 2009 because of some wicked blisters and I would love to just eliminate this problem. Maybe I should try some different socks?

Last edited by irishtwins1112; 10-05-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #3059
robynslp
Mouseketeer

I emailed runDisney to change shirt size. I received an email back saying its too late. Anyone else run into this? Should I try calling? I have lost a bunch of weight since I registered and don't want to be swimming in the size I requested!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #3060
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112
I still have some work to do but I was very pleased with 9 miles in 2:26:26 this morning. That is a 16:16 minutes per mile pace(and it was outside not on a treadmill). I have had a lot of improvement from June until now. I was 19-20 minutes per mile back at the beginning. Any suggestions on ways to improve my pace? I have been doing spin classes and a trekking class at the y (intervals mostly) and that seems to be helping. I know I need to get faster so I will have a cushion in case I need to stop at a port o potty or something during the marathon. I don't want to get swept.

Also, I feel great except for some blisters on the ball of my foot close to wear my toes meet my foot. I already use smart wool socks (I have for a while). I slather my feet with vaseline before I do long distances per the suggestion of another runner. Anyone have any other advice to prevent blisters? I DNF Goofy 2009 because of some wicked blisters and I would love to just eliminate this problem. Maybe I should try some different socks?
Great job on the pace!!!
Could your socks be too thick? I prefer thin socks that are more fitted to the foot or socks with strategic cushioning. I would try new socks first. If that doesn't work, could it be your shoes? Some shoes cause hot spots that can lead to blisters, it all depends on your foot.
Hope you get it figured out!

I am running a local 1/2 marathon tomorrow as a training run. Hoping for marathon pace, but the humidity has actually gone UP thus week! Not good. 90% humidity and I have a migraine. Hoping for a miracle at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: