Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #3016
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG
M quads are stil really sore after running 17 miles on Sunday. I think part of my problem is not drinking enough water afterwards and the day after. I need to look into getting some compression shorts. Wore my sleeves afterwards and my calves have been fine.
I have the same problem... I swear I need a constant reminder lol!!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #3017
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB6876 View Post
What do you usually eat before and after the race? I have had trouble trying to determine my protein carb ratios.. Too many carbs just makes me feel full and almost lethargic. To much protein upsets my stomach. I guess I have not yet found the perfect pre and post meals...
Sashimi is my perfect pre-race meal. I get light, easily digestible protein from the fish and light, easily digestible carbs from a side of rice. I do gradual carb loading during the week before the race, so I don't feel the need to binge overload the night before.

John
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #3018
JENR
Disney Addict

I have a question. I have been a runner for 13 years but have never ran a marathon so I do not have any time to submit for the corral placement. How does the corral work? Last week I ran 17 miles and my pace was 10:14 per mile so it took me 2 hrs and 54 min to run it. I was suppose to do a half marathon in October but don't think it is gonna workout so not sure what I should do. Should I try to do a half and submit the time or should I just start in the last corral where they will probably put me. Again I am new to this whole marathon thing .
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #3019
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENR
I have a question. I have been a runner for 13 years but have never ran a marathon so I do not have any time to submit for the corral placement. How does the corral work? Last week I ran 17 miles and my pace was 10:14 per mile so it took me 2 hrs and 54 min to run it. I was suppose to do a half marathon in October but don't think it is gonna workout so not sure what I should do. Should I try to do a half and submit the time or should I just start in the last corral where they will probably put me. Again I am new to this whole marathon thing .
Disney will take a race result from a 10K all the way up to a Marathon distance. So if you can't run the Half in October, find a 10K or 15K instead. You can either submit the results via email until early November, or, just bring them with you at the Expo to have your corral placement changed.

I would say being in a corral with similarly paced runners is better than being in the last corral and having to pass hundreds of people and expending more energy weaving through them.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #3020
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Good Lord. 100 days until I check in, 102 until race day . Can someone please turn the hourglass back the other way?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #3021
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENR View Post
Definitely find something! Whenever you hear complaints from people that they were in a sea of walkers, it's usually people in your situation who should be in a high corral, but didn't do a race before. Corrals exist for a reason, and if everyone is in the right place, people are happier! Personally, I hate being run over by the back of the pack fast people with no time, and I know they hate having to work past the run/walkers in my corral.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #3022
bigdave10000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH

Definitely find something! Whenever you hear complaints from people that they were in a sea of walkers, it's usually people in your situation who should be in a high corral, but didn't do a race before. Corrals exist for a reason, and if everyone is in the right place, people are happier! Personally, I hate being run over by the back of the pack fast people with no time, and I know they hate having to work past the run/walkers in my corral.
When will we know our our corral placement?

My Wish Journal

"To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the Gift" Steve Prefontaine
Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #3023
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave10000 View Post
At the expo when you pick up your bib. Your corral will be marked on the bib. Disney makes race waivers available online about a month before the event and I've seen people post pretty educated guesses at what the corrals are based on bib numbers, so you'll probably be able to get a good idea then.

And I echo everyone else - submit a proof of time if you can to help with lessening course crowding and so that you can start the race earlier!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #3024
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
At the expo when you pick up your bib. Your corral will be marked on the bib. Disney makes race waivers available online about a month before the event and I've seen people post pretty educated guesses at what the corrals are based on bib numbers, so you'll probably be able to get a good idea then.

And I echo everyone else - submit a proof of time if you can to help with lessening course crowding and so that you can start the race earlier!
It's kind of easy in the older days... About 3000 runners per corral. Last year the Goofy and relay numbers were separate from the main race and that created a little pre race confusion.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #3025
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

To add to what I said above, it looks like runDisney actually posted the corral assignments ahead of time for the Tower of Terror 10-miler...I wonder if they are going to post similar documents for other races going forward?

(under Final Race Instructions, there's a Bag Check section, then Corral and Bib Assignment. In this section is a link that says "View your corral placement!" which opens the document in the second link...and this set-up is exactly the same on the Marathon Weekend page so far, so I guess we'll see what information they decide to post in December):
http://www.rundisney.com/tower-of-te...r/runner-info/
http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rund...ssignments.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
It's kind of easy in the older days... About 3000 runners per corral. Last year the Goofy and relay numbers were separate from the main race and that created a little pre race confusion.
And next year it'll change again without the relay...
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #3026
njmeisje
Mouseketeer

Does WDW offer any kind of photo package for the Marathon? Meaning -- if you don't want to take your own character pictures but you want the castle pic, and the finish line pics --- do they do that by bib number, like the NYC marathon?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #3027
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmeisje View Post
Does WDW offer any kind of photo package for the Marathon? Meaning -- if you don't want to take your own character pictures but you want the castle pic, and the finish line pics --- do they do that by bib number, like the NYC marathon?

Thanks in advance.
Oh yes. Last year brightroom photography worked with Disney. There was a photo-op set up in front of the castle and an official finisher photo in front of a backdrop they set up. There were brightroom photographers at random points along the course and at most, but not all, of the character stops. I think the package itself cost $99 (for the marathon only, half is probably the same and I'm pretty sure there's a Goofy package for $50 more as well) and included 3 videos last year. I liked getting the videos since one of them was of me finishing, and since my husband couldn't make the trip he still got to "see" me race.

If you're going to get the package and REALLY want to maximize the amount of photos included, look through the lost & found section before ordering. These are photos not tied to a bib, and you may find yourself there. But be aware that this section contains THOUSANDS of pictures. I didn't even look last year.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #3028
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB6876 View Post
What do you usually eat before and after the race? I have had trouble trying to determine my protein carb ratios.. Too many carbs just makes me feel full and almost lethargic. To much protein upsets my stomach. I guess I have not yet found the perfect pre and post meals...
Day before: pasta with marinara; pizza without fatty meats and light on the cheese. Big lunch, normal but early dinner--maybe a bagel late.

Morning of: 3+ hours before race I take in about 400 calories, and then no more until after the first few miles of the race. I eat something like a bagel with light cream cheese and a banana and some sport drink.

After? At WDW I eat my way around Epcot, taking extra time in Germany . Between the two Goofy events though I will probably opt for some pasta with chicken and maybe some Hawaiian pizza. After the Goofy half marathon I will try and consume a bunch of carb calories in the first 30 min after the race to increase carb reloading.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #3029
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
Day before: pasta with marinara; pizza without fatty meats and light on the cheese. Big lunch, normal but early dinner--maybe a bagel late.

Morning of: 3+ hours before race I take in about 400 calories, and then no more until after the first few miles of the race. I eat something like a bagel with light cream cheese and a banana and some sport drink.

After? At WDW I eat my way around Epcot, taking extra time in Germany . Between the two Goofy events though I will probably opt for some pasta with chicken and maybe some Hawaiian pizza. After the Goofy half marathon I will try and consume a bunch of carb calories in the first 30 min after the race to increase carb reloading.
I am similar but will look for a little higher than normal fat intake the last couple days. Not the bad fatty meat stuff but add a few percentage points of fats from nuts, olive oil, etc. I do not load up on carbs. I will eat my dinner around 3-4 pm so that I know it does not sit on the tummy as I attempt to sleep.

Likewise about 3 hours pre-race I will have about4-500 Kcal. On race day it is something like a bagel with cream cheese (never touch the stuff any other day) , a banana, a couple cups of coffee and begin a bottle of sport drink. I differ slightly as I will sip the sport drink in the last hour pre-race and add a gel in the starting corral.

Post Race - Half setting up the next morning of Goofy... I take in 3-400 Kcal of a recovery drink (4:1 Carb/Protein). Shower then head out for an 11 am lunch. The lunch is farily well balanced and then again, a late afternoon dinner. After Sunday, I grab a couple slices of the resorts double pepperoni pizza. No way could I touch that except in the afterburn of a great marathon.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #3030
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmeisje View Post

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Oh yes. Last year brightroom photography worked with Disney. There was a photo-op set up in front of the castle and an official finisher photo in front of a backdrop they set up. There were brightroom photographers at random points along the course and at most, but not all, of the character stops. I think the package itself cost $99 (for the marathon only, half is probably the same and I'm pretty sure there's a Goofy package for $50 more as well) and included 3 videos last year. I liked getting the videos since one of them was of me finishing, and since my husband couldn't make the trip he still got to "see" me race.

If you're going to get the package and REALLY want to maximize the amount of photos included, look through the lost & found section before ordering. These are photos not tied to a bib, and you may find yourself there. But be aware that this section contains THOUSANDS of pictures. I didn't even look last year.
Just adding, that if you plan on stopping for character photos you may want to bring your own camera. It doubles the chances of getting a good photo. As good as ASI photographers are, they tend to be more of a candid photo which characters...ie. you may not know they snapped the photo.

As a word of courtesy.... Please do not cut across the course to get to a character. I have seen folks fall as the result of inconsiderate folks making a last minute dash to the character without looking. Likewise, when coming out of the Castle, just run your line. There are photographers on both sides of the path, running from side to side and trying to get as many photos as possible is just rude. If you want a posed photo, there are a set of photographers after coming off the ramp. Sad news is that most everyone running faster than a 12 minute mile will not get a good photo coming out of Cinderella Castle this year. It will still be dark for folks faster than this pace you it is really hit or miss for photos.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: