Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #3001
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Yup, nighttime on the slippery grass was not fun for me. Remembered my off road excursions from the inaugural W&D for the passing on the grass. Much harder speed-walking on grass than running because my feet are very low to the ground with my stride and little divots or bumps are not easily handled. Did manage a 9:21 for the first mile even on the grass passing.
Lol...I think my first mile was about the exact same pace...but I was running!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #3002
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Finished my first half Ironman Sunday - holy cow, that race wiped me out! I have never actually "hit the wall" before, but now I know what that feels like. I hadn't been running much leading up to it due to some knee pain issues, focusing more on my swim and bike. Sure enough, just a few miles into the run, my knees started hurting and I was mentally just done. I somehow got through 10 more miles. I did around a 10:30 pace for the run, which is a good minute slower than I have done my other half marathons, but I am trying not to beat myself up too much given that I did that after swimming 1.2 miles and biking 56 miles.
So - my marathon training is just completely off track since I had been focused on the half Ironman. Now I need to get on some kind of structured plan. I am going to try to see a dr about my knees - need to try to figure something out so I can get my Mickey medal!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #3003
IamTrike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Well, at least ONE crazy McFlurry lover did. Will be doing the same during January's Marathon.
Wow, that is an incredible idea. I had been thinking about putting Turkey Legs in the Gu holsters on my race belt but that seems better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStitch View Post
I'm glad that there are a bunch of us baffled by the corral placements. I was in C for ToT and for the first two miles could barely move for all the people who were strolling 5-6 people abreast. I Galloway, but when I'm doing my walk portions, I try to make sure I stay to the side or get behind or in front of others walking so there's still a path for faster people. I ended up passing tons of people even though I'm slow and conditions were brutal. I don't get it, but I guess none of us do.
I think it could be a couple of things.

1. The run a corral placement race much faster than they can run the half. (it could be insufficient training or injury or that they are submitting a time from a while ago.)
2. The could have gotten a finish time that's faster than what they actually ran. I know friends that have run races that were insufficiently marked so they wound up cutting of a portion of the race. There official finish time had them running at a much faster pace than they actually ran.
3.Could they be using a bib from someone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore View Post
Finished my first half Ironman Sunday - holy cow, that race wiped me out! I have never actually "hit the wall" before, but now I know what that feels like. I hadn't been running much leading up to it due to some knee pain issues, focusing more on my swim and bike. Sure enough, just a few miles into the run, my knees started hurting and I was mentally just done. I somehow got through 10 more miles. I did around a 10:30 pace for the run, which is a good minute slower than I have done my other half marathons, but I am trying not to beat myself up too much given that I did that after swimming 1.2 miles and biking 56 miles.
So - my marathon training is just completely off track since I had been focused on the half Ironman. Now I need to get on some kind of structured plan. I am going to try to see a dr about my knees - need to try to figure something out so I can get my Mickey medal!
Congratulations on finishing your first half ironman.

DW (Rachel) Me (Ryan) DD 5 DS 9

DIS DADs CLUB MEMBER #566 James 1:27 Look over here, it's a trip report Updated on 7/5/11 The last day
Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #3004
Mickey'sfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Way to go!!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #3005
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
GREAT JOB with the 70.3.

Have my first 70.3 in March and planning to register for the Fl. IM as soon as it opens.

Something fantastic happened from my fall at mile 8.5 of ToT. Besides the black right eye improving my looks, , my right shoulder now has greater movement than before. I can reach across my chest better and a little higher also. Went to the County Pool today and swam 2450 yards with almost no pain. Seriously considering a Rev3 70.3 that is 3 weeks from Saturday and only 12 miles from home. Swim is where I just did a Sprint Tri, bike ride goes past my house and have even biked most of the route and the run I have also done some of. My goal would be simply to finish. At 62 that's fine with me.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #3006
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB6876 View Post
Any seasoned marathoners have any advice for quick recovery after a marathon. I know training helps but I still have trouble bouncing right back the next day.. I am a bit concerned for the goofy I signed up for. I am confident I can do it, however I would like any advice. I have the compression socks and they help speed recovery. I have also heard of the ice bath (have not tried that one). I just finished my first full yesterday and I feel swollen ( feet and hands) is this normal?
Elites are using Normatec pneumatic leg sleeves, which give a massage and push all the yuckies out of your legs.

But, for the rest of us . . .

Here is my plan:

After the Half: after food and getting my bag and warming up, then jog for 1/2 mile; go back to room shower clean up; if my knees or ankles feel sore then ice bath (ice bath really only helps reduce joint inflammation and likely doesn't help muscle recovery); put on compression calf sleeves; put on compression shorts (CEP makes some nice firm ones); alternate between resting off my feet and moving to promote circulation (maybe go ride a ride or two);

After the full: Head strait to hotel; ice bath if knees need it; otherwise, compress calf muscles and thighs (CEP shorts) and get ready to hit the parks. Keep hydrated and compressed all day, and eat fun food, drink beer and ride rides, and keep moving.

One day after the full: possibly get a massage to help get more lactic acid out of the muscles and help with circulation. Where compression tights all day.

The more you can wear the compression gear over the next few days the better. Ice knees as needed too.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #3007
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore
Congrats!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #3008
RunRosemary
Earning My Ears

Another recovery must do for me is to foam roll. I have a 12 inch one I pack for races and will roll my calves, IT band, hip flexors, and of course my glutes twice a day. Cheaper and quicker than a massage and I can pinpoint knots.

I despise ice baths but in January, a quick swim in one of the (unheated) pools could have a similar effect. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #3009
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep

Elites are using Normatec pneumatic leg sleeves, which give a massage and push all the yuckies out of your legs.

But, for the rest of us . . .

Here is my plan:

After the Half: after food and getting my bag and warming up, then jog for 1/2 mile; go back to room shower clean up; if my knees or ankles feel sore then ice bath (ice bath really only helps reduce joint inflammation and likely doesn't help muscle recovery); put on compression calf sleeves; put on compression shorts (CEP makes some nice firm ones); alternate between resting off my feet and moving to promote circulation (maybe go ride a ride or two);

After the full: Head strait to hotel; ice bath if knees need it; otherwise, compress calf muscles and thighs (CEP shorts) and get ready to hit the parks. Keep hydrated and compressed all day, and eat fun food, drink beer and ride rides, and keep moving.

One day after the full: possibly get a massage to help get more lactic acid out of the muscles and help with circulation. Where compression tights all day.

The more you can wear the compression gear over the next few days the better. Ice knees as needed too.
Thanks for the great advice.. That is my big concern is I want to be ready to go to the parks after!!!! .
I have to look into the shorts. Love the CEP socks.. I will say I stopped using them post races before my full because I felt as though I did not need them... BOY they were a big help after a full. I was sore yesterday but today I was fine nothing more than normal muscle tenderness..
What do you usually eat before and after the race? I have had trouble trying to determine my protein carb ratios.. Too many carbs just makes me feel full and almost lethargic. To much protein upsets my stomach. I guess I have not yet found the perfect pre and post meals...

Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #3010
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRosemary
Another recovery must do for me is to foam roll. I have a 12 inch one I pack for races and will roll my calves, IT band, hip flexors, and of course my glutes twice a day. Cheaper and quicker than a massage and I can pinpoint knots.

I despise ice baths but in January, a quick swim in one of the (unheated) pools could have a similar effect. Just a thought.

I have seen those before.. Maybe I will invest in one to take with me.. Thanks!!!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #3011
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB6876 View Post
I have seen those before.. Maybe I will invest in one to take with me.. Thanks!!!
I've been using a Tiger Tail. Bought it on Amazon - works wonders.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #3012
RunRosemary
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB6876

I bought mine at Road Runner Sports. Love that store!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #3013
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepcft View Post
My 100 day mark is tomorrow
Woo hoo!! That means mine too! Although a little scared that it is coming up that quick! YIKES!!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #3014
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
Woo hoo!! That means mine too! Although a little scared that it is coming up that quick! YIKES!!
I hear ya! Tomorrow (actually 2 hours from now lol) is 99! Double digits! Holy crow!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #3015
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

M quads are stil really sore after running 17 miles on Sunday. I think part of my problem is not drinking enough water afterwards and the day after. I need to look into getting some compression shorts. Wore my sleeves afterwards and my calves have been fine.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: