Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #2986
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Hooray, 100 day mark!

Just a caution about McMillan. The equivalency calculator for the marathon assumes you are running upwards of 60 miles EVERY week. If you aren't, allow more time for a good estimate.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #2987
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi

Here's what works for me: walk around after the finish to let your muscles cool off gradually. Ice bath for 15 minutes or so. Compression socks for the next few hours. More walking around that afternoon. Walk or slow jog a mile or two the next morning. Good massage that afternoon. The key is to get your legs walking to prevent stiffness from setting in.
Thanks for the advice.. I know it is easy to want to sit or stay still after lol.. I will try that next time as well as the ice bath.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #2988
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRookie View Post
I am not sure if corral placement is based 'solely' on your expected pace or if other considerations also play a role (like the size of each corral, etc.). But I think it comes down to what pace you think you will be running your Full. A 5hr finish time is an 11:27/mm pace time. Does that sound reasonable or does your training support a faster pace?

There are some web sites that will help you determine your marathon pace based upon another race's pace. MacMillan is one that I tend to use at http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index...sage/calculate
Thanks. The furthest I've gone in training has been 15 miles so far and we ran that at an average of around 11:20-25 I think. I do the run/walk Galloway method, and so far that's allowed me to keep a pretty consistent pace so I'm hoping with the additional training before the race I can keep that same pace for the 26.2. Honestly, the corral placement isn't a big deal to me since this is my first marathon and my goal is simply to finish. Just thought if I did get a race in that let me move up the corral a bit that might be good.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #2989
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

100 days for me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunRookie View Post
I am not sure if corral placement is based 'solely' on your expected pace or if other considerations also play a role (like the size of each corral, etc.). But I think it comes down to what pace you think you will be running your Full. A 5hr finish time is an 11:27/mm pace time. Does that sound reasonable or does your training support a faster pace?

There are some web sites that will help you determine your marathon pace based upon another race's pace. MacMillan is one that I tend to use at http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index...sage/calculate
The corral placement at these Disney races is baffling to me. I have a friend that ran W&D last year with her husband - they submitted virtually identical times for corral placement (6:58ish from the 2009 WDW Marathon I think) where she finished one second ahead of her husband. She somehow got placed in Corral B (fully acknowledging that she had no business being there) while he was placed in Corral C. So I really think it depends on whether you submit a time or not and, from the experience above, they may take gender into account as well.

For what it's worth, here are my 2 experiences with corral placement at Disney:

2011 Princess Half Marathon - Corral C with a submitted time of 2:00:42 for a 10-mile race (12:04/mile)...my brother also ran this race with me and could have been in Corral B with a time of 1:38:07 for 10 miles (9:49 pace) but he dropped back to C to run with me I remember being completely thrilled with this corral placement!

2012 Walt Disney World Marathon - Corral D with a submitted time of 1:54:11 for a 10-mile race (11:25/mile)

This year I'm submitting 1:39:07 (9:54/mile) for Goofy...we'll see what happens! I'm hoping to at least move up to C, but I think it completely depends on how many other people submit times and what kind of times are submitted.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #2990
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

For anyone who likes minimalist shoes and was looking to try the Altra, Tanga has a deal today.

https://www.tanga.com/deals/3f834d23...m_medium=email
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #2991
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Another baffled corral placement person.

Just had corral A for ToT. Since I am a speed-walker I made sure I was the last individual over the start mat to make sure I blocked no runners. By the 1 mile mark I had passed at least 300 people who were walking, jogging, running or Gallowaying. I figured I would be slower than anyone in corral A but it was very evident that many people were slower and did not belong in A. I passed many more before exiting the course to get a McDonald's M&M McFlurry and then returning to continue the race.

Some people could have even been in corral C, IMO. It made for some early nervous passing.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #2992
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post

Just had corral A for ToT. Since I am a speed-walker I made sure I was the last individual over the start mat to make sure I blocked no runners. By the 1 mile mark I had passed at least 300 people who were walking, jogging, running or Gallowaying. I figured I would be slower than anyone in corral A but it was very evident that many people were slower and did not belong in A. I passed many more before exiting the course to get a McDonald's M&M McFlurry and then returning to continue the race.

Some people could have even been in corral C, IMO. It made for some early nervous passing.
Seriously? People went to get a McFlurry during the race?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #2993
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
Seriously? People went to get a McFlurry during the race?
Well, at least ONE crazy McFlurry lover did. Will be doing the same during January's Marathon.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #2994
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, at least ONE crazy McFlurry lover did. Will be doing the same during January's Marathon.
Me too! With the coaster coming too early and England probably not serving beer yet, this is what will have to pass for a distraction this year.

John
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #2995
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

OMG, you guys are crazy! LOL
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #2996
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Me too! With the coaster coming too early and England probably not serving beer yet, this is what will have to pass for a distraction this year.
Just a warning, the re-entry ramp was a wicked up-hill cambered tight bummer turn, but it was so cool blending in with the other racers. Wish I had turn signals for exiting and entering. NOW that's a thought for January.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #2997
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
Gotta find something to look forward to. In looking at the map it looks like we may run right by the TOT. Do we? Any chance of hopping on that during the marathon? I need something to look forward too now that EE is not an option. A McFlurry just ain't gonna cut it for me.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #2998
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm glad that there are a bunch of us baffled by the corral placements. I was in C for ToT and for the first two miles could barely move for all the people who were strolling 5-6 people abreast. I Galloway, but when I'm doing my walk portions, I try to make sure I stay to the side or get behind or in front of others walking so there's still a path for faster people. I ended up passing tons of people even though I'm slow and conditions were brutal. I don't get it, but I guess none of us do.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #2999
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We were in A as well, fairly close to the back because I used the porta-potty one too many time and it was pretty difficult to pass all the walkers/very slow joggers for the first couple miles. I ran most of the first mile on the grass!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #3000
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
We were in A as well, fairly close to the back because I used the porta-potty one too many time and it was pretty difficult to pass all the walkers/very slow joggers for the first couple miles. I ran most of the first mile on the grass!
Yup, nighttime on the slippery grass was not fun for me. Remembered my off road excursions from the inaugural W&D for the passing on the grass. Much harder speed-walking on grass than running because my feet are very low to the ground with my stride and little divots or bumps are not easily handled. Did manage a 9:21 for the first mile even on the grass passing.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: