Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #2956
Mickey'sfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
Ran a local half marathon this morning. Beat my personal best by over FIVE minutes!!! I couldn't believe it. My official time was 2:14:15. It was a great day for a run and I knew the ground we were covering well. I have to admit that in those last two miles I kept wondering how I would ever finish twice the amount. By building up I suppose! Upwards and onwards!
Congrats on a super finish!!! The thought of that gorgeous Mickey medal hopefully will carry us all to the finish!

I'm running a half in 3 weeks and hope to improve my time from this years Princess. Unfortunately the course is rather hilly, so it may not be possible.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #2957
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio
Ran a local half marathon this morning. Beat my personal best by over FIVE minutes!!! I couldn't believe it. My official time was 2:14:15. It was a great day for a run and I knew the ground we were covering well. I have to admit that in those last two miles I kept wondering how I would ever finish twice the amount. By building up I suppose! Upwards and onwards!
Way to go! Congratulations!
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #2958
regul8ter18
Mouseketeer

RunRookie- I wont be at the Chicago Marathon that is a little far for me to go that early if I am not running.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #2959
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
A little off topic...does anybody have a funny racing/training story??

Mine: a few years back I did a sprint triathalon and two times you go to the staging area to move from swimming to biking and then biking to running. We were all running around like chickens with our heads cut off to get into the next gear. The guy beside of me had his stuff out and ready to go before the race. I thought it was kind of curious that he had one of those fold out chairs with the foot rest. Anyhow, during both staging times (between legs) he sat back in his fold out lazy boy and smoked a cigerette!
OMG! Well that is rather rude for the other competitors! I am VERY sensitive to cigarette smoke. That would have really pissed me off!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #2960
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
OMG! Well that is rather rude for the other competitors! I am VERY sensitive to cigarette smoke. That would have really pissed me off!
Yeah...I fluctuated between being tickled and outrage! Obviously timing was not a big deal to him!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #2961
JCH
DIS Veteran

I need some post terrible awful no good Tower of Terror time encouragement! I was hoping to finish this race in 2:20 or so to put me in a good position for the Marathon as far as pacing goes. I ended up with a time of 2:32...but that included 1 unplanned bathroom stop and 2 stops to refill my water bottle. Even though that wasn't near my goal pace, since it was 79 degrees and something like 88% humidity, am I still on track when adjusted? I felt fine after (aside from a poor sock choice blister!) and aside from feeling like I can't drink enough water, I am fine today. I'm just second guessing myself all the time and want to be realistic about whether or not I can do this.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #2962
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH
I need some post terrible awful no good Tower of Terror time encouragement! I was hoping to finish this race in 2:20 or so to put me in a good position for the Marathon as far as pacing goes. I ended up with a time of 2:32...but that included 1 unplanned bathroom stop and 2 stops to refill my water bottle. Even though that wasn't near my goal pace, since it was 79 degrees and something like 88% humidity, am I still on track when adjusted? I felt fine after (aside from a poor sock choice blister!) and aside from feeling like I can't drink enough water, I am fine today. I'm just second guessing myself all the time and want to be realistic about whether or not I can do this.
I think you are fine! My goal was 1:20-1:25 and I finished in 1:34 and honestly, I feel fine about it. It was very humid, it was late at night, and we have 4 months to go! I think you will be fine as long as you stick with your program!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #2963
kimmiepcft
Kimmiep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
You did great! I have heard more people who didn't meet their goals than people who did. It was bad weather, and that always changes things! Way to go!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #2964
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH
I agree with others. You are fine. ToT was just plain ugly from reports I am hearing.

Just keep plugging away!

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #2965
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst

I agree with others. You are fine. ToT was just plain ugly from reports I am hearing.

Just keep plugging away!
Thanks guys! I keep trying to tell myself in my head that with that weather, my speed would be 1-2 minutes slower than if it was 70 without the humidity, so really it's right where I want to be, but it was still a little frustrating!

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #2966
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Haven't run since last Monday because my shin has been bothering me. I'm excited about my Diva 1/2 on Sunday but also a little nervous. I'm trying to finish it in 2:30-2:45. DD has a soccer tournament on Sunday and I'm upset because they made them too early this year. Her last game starts at 10:00 and my race starts at 8:00. If I get it done in 2:30, there is a veryslim chance I might be able to see the end of her game. If anything, this will be my motivation to run faster. Also, since she has her tournament so early, my family won't be there to cheer me on so that makes me a little sad.

I'm going to do some cycling at the gym this week so I can strengthen the calf. Any other ideas so I'm ready for Sunday?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #2967
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
Finishing close to your goal time in that heat and humidity is wonderful! I ran the slowest I've ever run at ToT, and I heard people all around me saying the same thing about their runs as well. The humidity was dangerous, and you did well to finish and not get sick! I've done a couple of RunDisney half marathons that took much less out of me than the 10 miles, and I already felt that way only 2-3 miles into the race. I even got sick about 1 1/2 hours after the run and ended up lying down for an hour at the medical area with ice on me. Still don't feel well, really.

Please don't use your experience at Tower of Terror to think you can't do the full marathon. We all have our "I'm not up to this" moments, and I think most people running ToT had those a lot of Saturday night. It was the weather that felled most people and made it really unpleasant/dangerous. I definitely wouldn't use Saturday's run as a gauge of how well you're preparing for the full in January when the weather is totally different and much more conducive to running.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #2968
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I did my long run yesterday. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so I'm thnking of running today instead. Thoughts? I'm doing HH Novice 2 so my long run yesterday was only 6 miles, if that matters. Today would only be 3.

The next two weeks look like this:

Mon or Tues - 3
Wed - 6
Thur - 3
Sat - 11

Tues - 3
Wed - 6
Thur - 3
Sat - Baltimore Half Marathon
Old 10-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #2969
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Question about corral placement and race proof of time. From the website looks like a 10K or longer can be used. We are running a 12K on Saturday. I had planned to use my half-marathon time in November if it was fast enough, but then realized this 12K could work and I could actually email it in rather than waiting for the Expo.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what time we'd need to complete the 12K under in order to improve corral placement. I put in an expected finish time of 5:01 I think when I registered just to put in the shortest time without needing to provide proof. But, if we can run the 12K fast enough to improve upon that, I'd like to. Thanks for any info.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #2970
Mickey'sfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
I did my long run yesterday. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so I'm thnking of running today instead. Thoughts? I'm doing HH Novice 2 so my long run yesterday was only 6 miles, if that matters. Today would only be 3.

The next two weeks look like this:

Mon or Tues - 3
Wed - 6
Thur - 3
Sat - 11

Tues - 3
Wed - 6
Thur - 3
Sat - Baltimore Half Marathon

I think running today would work fine. Good luck next Saturday!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: