Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #2506
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker1251 View Post
I saw a post on the RunDisney FB page this morning that ask runners to let the Volunteers know how much they were appreciated. For those that have run any race, but especially the marathon, you know how important the Volunteers are. While we are lamenting the fact we have to get up early to catch the bus to the starting area, the volunteers are out already out and getting the course ready for us. We are accustomed to seeing videos of the runners during the race. Several months ago I suggested that RunDisney do a video featuring the volunteers and and the work they do. Please take a minute and send an email to RunDisney encouraging them to do this.
If folks did not know, the first set of volunteers are out around 11 pm the night before the race. Most of the water stop folks are meeting 2 am to 4 AM They are also on post as long as the race is passing then have clean up duties.

We should all thank a volunteer as you pass them on course.

Better yet, I volunteer for 2-4 events a year locally. It's kind of a pay it forward activity.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #2507
randomiam79
Mouseketeer

Haven't been on in while..had my first 11-miler yesterday, plus a mile cool down. Forgot how tough that loop can be, with the the bridges along Clearwater Beach (ended up walking up the last 2).

Had a weird thing happen. Anyone else experience this after a long run? I had soreness in my left ear, including the earlobe of all places and back of my neck, all along that left side. Any ideas? Just wondering
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #2508
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomiam79 View Post
Haven't been on in while..had my first 11-miler yesterday, plus a mile cool down. Forgot how tough that loop can be, with the the bridges along Clearwater Beach (ended up walking up the last 2).

Had a weird thing happen. Anyone else experience this after a long run? I had soreness in my left ear, including the earlobe of all places and back of my neck, all along that left side. Any ideas? Just wondering
All I can think of is stress. If you described inner ear then I would say slight sinus/ear infection that created a pressure issue. It's not real cold so we can rule out a cold weather issue. Were you wearing sunglasses or a head phone? These could create a pressure point. Did you notice a lot of upper body tightness, especially on the overpasses? If yes to any of these, try some deep calming breaths every so often while on the run. Every little while roll and stretch the arms out to release any pent up tension. And Smile. That is a simple and effective way to release muscle tension in and around the head.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 09-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #2509
randomiam79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait

All I can think of is stress. If you described inner ear then I would say slight sinus/ear infection that created a pressure issue. It's not real cold so we can rule out a cold weather issue. Were you wearing sunglasses or a head phone? These could create a pressure point. Did you notice a lot of upper body tightness, especially on the overpasses? If yes to any of these, try some deep calming breaths every so often while on the run. Every little while roll and stretch the arms out to release any pent up tension. And Smile. That is a simple and effective way to release muscle tension in and around the head.
Thanks. could have been a slight inner ear/ ear infection as throat was a little sure overnight. but no symptoms today. No sunglasses or headphones. I think I'll just chalk it up to being my first
truly long run of this training program. haven't run over 10 since the half last year
Old 09-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #2510
rmgreenesq
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Better yet, I volunteer for 2-4 events a year locally. It's kind of a pay it forward activity.
I volunteer to work the pre-race packet stuffing party and Expo for the California Disney races I run. Obviously I can't work the water stop. I need the volunteers to hand me water!

Its fun to see the folks come in and and hand them their bib. It's even more fun to put the coast to coast bracelet on their wrist. The time just flies by!

Rick
Old 09-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #2511
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Had a semi-ok run today. My plan was to run 15 miles and it was an out and back. Started off good but then realized the route I took was great for looking at ( very fancy schmancy neighborhood) but not good for getting something to drink. I wasn't able to buy a bottle of water until a little after mile 7. By that point I was panting and so thirsty I think the girl in the deli must have thought I was a nut. I gulped down a 16 oz. bottle of Poland Spring and a bag of Chomps (which are really good btw). I really need a fuel belt. I looked at one in Dicks yesterday but wasn't willing to lay $45 down. I guess I should have.

Well, with water sloshing in my stomach, I pressed on only to have spasms start running down the back of my right thigh at mile 10. At mile 11, I quit and walked the rest of the way home. While I was stretching, my husband called to have me come pick him up and to bring water because he became dehydrated at mile 9 of his run. What is with us??? LOL. I'm still sore because I didn't get to stretch while my muscles were warm. My feet hurt, my ribs hurt and my right hamstring is killing me but I'm proud of myself for sticking it out in this heat and humidity. I think the cloud cover and breeze fooled me into thinking I was going to have a good run.

Here's my map. I think my fastest average pace was 11:18 I am still working on getting to that 10:30!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #2512
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

Hello all!

I have no idea what possessed me, but I decided to take the plunge and sign up for the half-marathon. I haven't run in over 15 years, and with a bunch of extra weight hanging off of me, this will certainly be a challenge for me. If anything, I have a goal in mind, and I can't wait to cross that finish line!

On a more somber note, I see that getting a room as a DVC member this late in the game is a losing bet. Any chance cancellations pop up and we can squeak in?! I sure hope so!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #2513
rocio
DIS Veteran

It was a gorgeous day for our 11 miler this morning. It really couldn't have been better running weather. I always enjoy getting my long runs done on Saturday mornings. Feels like a great way to start the weekend!
Old 09-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #2514
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavid7771
Hello all!

I have no idea what possessed me, but I decided to take the plunge and sign up for the half-marathon. I haven't run in over 15 years, and with a bunch of extra weight hanging off of me, this will certainly be a challenge for me. If anything, I have a goal in mind, and I can't wait to cross that finish line!

On a more somber note, I see that getting a room as a DVC member this late in the game is a losing bet. Any chance cancellations pop up and we can squeak in?! I sure hope so!
There is a one bedroom at Saratoga for the nights of marathon weekend...

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
Old 09-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #2515
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavid7771 View Post
Hello all!

I would book what you can for the weekend, as Cobbler said, Saratoga has a 1 bedroom available right now. I would book that and then waitlist for another resort if you want. People do cancel all the time. Just keep checking.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #2516
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydavid7771 View Post
Hello all!

You're going to love it! You will do fine and then you'll be hooked like the rest of us. You'll watch your money fly out the window in RunDisney registration fees.

I just came back from the Disneyland 1/2. It was there that we decided on doing the WDW 1/2 again. We're DVC members as well and right after we got home we tried to book something, anything for the marathon weekend. We grabbed a one bedroom at Saratoga - it was the only thing available. I would have preferred a two bedroom but the one-bedroom will have to do. Grab it while you can.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #2517
cewait
DIS Veteran

Best waitlist bets after SSR are OKW and AKV. Since you only get two, I would select one of these. Or, select one of them and then you dream location. I know the wait list is supposedly first in first served, but the one in front of you may be looking for a night out of your booking winder that would keep it hung up.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 09-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #2518
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
Had to share this because I thought it was hysterical. I was reading a blog about the DL 1/2 and here's what the writer overheard at the expo, "I learned my lesson at the Princess. Don’t wear Crocs to run a half marathon.".

OMG! I can't believe someone ran a whole 1/2 in Crocs! I know they're comfy but that is too funny!

http://www.mouseplanet.com/10105/A_F...rathon_Weekend
OMG!! That is too funny! I LOVE my Crocs, but I sure as heck can't run in them. I can't make it running down the block to the kids' bus stop in them, let alone 13.1 miles! I wonder how bad their feet and legs hurt afterward?
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 09-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #2519
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiepcft View Post
The GIANTS did theirs at the end of June. Totally bummed that i missed it, but I did a 5K in Yankee Stadium, which was very cool!
Kim, did I tell you that they are possibly doing the Giants run in April next year? Gotta do it!!! April would be so much better. June was HOT.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #2520
MightyDuck001
Mouseketeer

re: volunteers
I think this is in part the reason I've always thrown my cup and other debris away in the provided cup/trash bins. I feel really bad for people who have the responsibility to pick up people's goo/gel packets. After seeing that in Disneyland, not only is that stuff downright dangerous to the people who come behind (Double Dare slippery), but there are a lot of really reckless people throwing that around. Some woman in front of me didn't look around and almost dumped her Powerade all over my shoes and another person almost hit me with their gel packet.

I've wanted to volunteer so I'm signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon in October. Say hi if you pick your bag up from me!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: