Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #2356
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terapin View Post
Happy to make it to the 10mile mark today! Had a not so great run - just couldn't get into the groove of it. It was stinking hot, humid, and very sunny. I got a great tan though!

I'm not sure I drank enough though. I did feel at the time like I was drinking often. I drank about 1.25 litres (with 2 scoops of E-load), half a banana at the 8 mark, had 3 salt tabs (too many?), and 1.5 packages of Power Ade Chews. I was well hydrated to begin with (had to visit the forest during the run). I ran for 2.25 hours. I didn't feel dehydrated, but I didn't urinate much for the first few hours. Lots of salt on my face and chest when I was done.

I am super sore though this evening! I am not usually this sore. Have had a short nap and used the roller, and got up and about shopping. Still stiff and sore. Last long run was 14k and it was fine... I did do a good run yesterday of 8.5k less than 24 hours before this run. I'm sure that affected me, as I am only doing 36-40k a week, so not big on the mileage yet.

I'd love some feedback on how much I drank/fuelled/salted. I am new to this.
Actually, it is hard to say if you over or under hydrated. Hydration rates are very individual and need to be determined for each person. The method is easy, weight pre-run before dressing and then post run after disrobing and drying off. If you gained weight, you over hydrated. If you lost more than 1-2% body weight, then you under hydrated. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon so if you came back a half pound light, then you would add 2 quarts to the run period.

As far as the soreness goes, look back to compare your 10 mile course and previous day's activity with the previous long run's. Did you run the day before the 14k? was the 10 mile course hillier or flatter than the 14k? Did you run faster? Look at the total week's distance compared with the previous weeks. Also, was it markedly hotter yesterday? Finally look at the other activities for the week. Did you do something extra that could have left you a little sore? Any of these items could create post run soreness - along with simply being sore from the run.

Make sure that you are stretching post run - while still warm. Many folks ice bath, but I think the current thought is a warm bath on the legs will make the muscle feel better post run. You may want to try that.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #2357
Big Vic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0808 View Post
What does everyone recommend for hydration on runs? I was thinking of getting a handheld bottle and a spibelt for fuel, but then I figured I would just combine one into a Camelbak.

Do you guys prefer the ones that sit at the waist or on the back? I know it is personal preference but figured I would get some recommendations.

Also, do you wear them during races? I wouldn't want to but would need a spibelt then for fuel. Just trying to get some ideas.
I'm using a Camelbak Marathoner. It's a vest with a 70 oz bladder worn on the back, four pockets in the front portion (two big enough for water bottles) and a larger pocket in the back. It fits well, no bouncing, and I can carry the appropriate number of gels and electrolyte tablets needed. It's very comfortable.

For races, I bought a Fuel Belt Race Number Belt. It will hold my bib, has a small pouch, and the ability to hold ten gel packs. I have yet to try it.

Decisions, decisions. Good luck with the hunt.
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #2358
andyman8
DIS Veteran

I just signed up for the half-marathon, yesterday, and today I'm booking our package! Just one questions, are discounts on park tickets available to runners?
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 09-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #2359
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8
I just signed up for the half-marathon, yesterday, and today I'm booking our package! Just one questions, are discounts on park tickets available to runners?
It is my understanding that Marathon weekend is the only runDisney event without discounts.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #2360
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
It is my understanding that Marathon weekend is the only runDisney event without discounts.
How'd I not expect that? From one Palm Beach Countyer to another, thanks! Hoping this winter will be like last year's, for it would be my ideal running conditions and maybe allow us to get some pool time at YC.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #2361
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

I'm confused about the DL 1/2 results. It says one guy came in 1st at 1:05 (that's B-A-N-A-N-A-S in itself), but when I look at top 25 overall, it says a 53 year old guy came in at 53 minutes!!!!! that's just RIDICULOUS!

So jealous because I can't even run a 10 minute mile, LOL.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #2362
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

53 minutes is obviously a chip error. Don't be jealous.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #2363
deekaypee
Mouseketeer
Ah, life in my Disney daydream is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I'm confused about the DL 1/2 results. It says one guy came in 1st at 1:05 (that's B-A-N-A-N-A-S in itself), but when I look at top 25 overall, it says a 53 year old guy came in at 53 minutes!!!!! that's just RIDICULOUS!

I'm a back-of-the-pack race-day partier, too! The guy that finished in 52 minutes is the winner of the wheel division! And an amazing time!
... ................
Old 09-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #2364
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Hang in there. a 17 mile run is really the same as a 19 mile run.... It's hot outside and pushing longer than 3:30 is really good enough. I do have a question about being at this distance the first week of September. Are you planning on running a marathon prior to Disney? I am assuming so but just in case you are not, your mileage seems a little long for this far out.

Regardless, hang in there. It's still hot outside and you will do better once the temps fall
Thanks Coach. Yes I have my first marathon Oct 7 here at home. After that I will take a few weeks easy then back into it for Goofy.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #2365
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos

I think it's wheel division.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #2366
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Actually, it is hard to say if you over or under hydrated. Hydration rates are very individual and need to be determined for each person. The method is easy, weight pre-run before dressing and then post run after disrobing and drying off. If you gained weight, you over hydrated. If you lost more than 1-2% body weight, then you under hydrated. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon so if you came back a half pound light, then you would add 2 quarts to the run period.

As far as the soreness goes, look back to compare your 10 mile course and previous day's activity with the previous long run's. Did you run the day before the 14k? was the 10 mile course hillier or flatter than the 14k? Did you run faster? Look at the total week's distance compared with the previous weeks. Also, was it markedly hotter yesterday? Finally look at the other activities for the week. Did you do something extra that could have left you a little sore? Any of these items could create post run soreness - along with simply being sore from the run.

Make sure that you are stretching post run - while still warm. Many folks ice bath, but I think the current thought is a warm bath on the legs will make the muscle feel better post run. You may want to try that.
Thanks! I lost about 2% body weight.

I will analyze it and take a look at why it seemed so much harder. Thanks for the suggestions. After resting today (after being on my feet all day yesterday and working until 5am - gosh I was sore when I finally crawled into bed) I feel pretty ok - just some residual sore knees (I have that patello-femoral thing).

I have always had a warm bath after a run. It has always just felt right. I love soaking in the tub after a good run and just chilling for a bit. Sometimes I ice sore parts while in the tub, and alternate cold and warmth to the areas, too.

I didn't stretch much yesterday: I need to be more disciplined about that. I was just *done* and wanted to get home and into the tub.

Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated Coach!

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #2367
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH

Thanks Coach. Yes I have my first marathon Oct 7 here at home. After that I will take a few weeks easy then back into it for Goofy.
Very cool! I have my first timed Full on October 7th as well (in Chicago). And then, prepare for Goofy. You and I are on the same path, my friend.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #2368
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post

As in the above, he's a wheelie. It's interesting that the wheelies were not that far in front of the elites. That is atypical.

I did chime in to say that a 65 minute half on a Disney course is amazing! They have removed many of the park related kinks since the early version of the course but this would still be a 62 -63 minute half on a 'regular' course. But then what would you expect from a guy from Running Springs, CA?

Note that chip errors would not present itself as a bogus time. They generally come across as no deduct for a start in a later corral (i.e. the chip and gross times are the same) giving the runner a longer time on course than they were - or - they have no finish read leaving the runner as a DNF until cleaned up.

Note that if you ever come in with the dnf but you know you finished, write the RD early. Let them know of your approximate finish time. Most races have photographers or a finish video feed that can be reviewed. You will usually be able to clear this up in a couple weeks.

Cleaning up the failure to read at the start is a little trickier, but you can usually get this narrowed down to the start time of the corral instead of the race.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #2369
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernRDH View Post
Cool. Have fun!
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #2370
Freight Train
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I will train with my FlashFlo model CamelBack. I cannot stand the backpack model on the run due to the bounce. Likewise, I do not like bottle belts due to the bounce. I have had the FlashFlow for a decade + and it still works well. The newer ones have a 50 ounce bladder and sit on the hips. You simply tighten the belt and take off. The unit has a second set of straps that cinch the bladder up as you begin to empty it. This prevents sloshing as the bladder empties. It also has a second compartment for storage.
Coach, I have a Camelback backpack model and I reduced the sloshing by holding the bladder upside down and sucking out the air through the hose before training. I saw that trick on Youtube and it works pretty well.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: