Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #1756
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Ok Disers....help me decide once and for all! DH and I cannot decide if we want to do the Donald in 2013 and the Mickey in 2014, or just do Mickey in 2013 since it's the 20th anniversary. A little background: Just over 2 years ago (I am 35 now), I was fat and completely out of shape! I decided one day that enough was enough and just got in shape! I lost almost 70 lbs and have been working out at least 6 days/week since then. We have done multiple programs like Insanity, P90X, etc..and then a little over a year ago, we started running. Since then, we have done several mud runs (Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, Warrior Dash), multiple 5Ks and 10Ks, and 2 1/2 Marathons. My 1/2 goal has been 1:45, but I haven't made it. First race was the Chip and Dale, and I really think I could have done it but I had some unfortunate gi issues and spent quite a bit of time in the porta-potty Anyway, finished in 2:01. Second race was the Mini in Indianapolis, with 35,000 runners, which really crowded the course. Add to that the extremely warm temps and I gave up my goal before mile 5...finished in 1:57. So, what I can't decide is...do I go for my goal of 1:45 with the Donald or do I just bite the bullet and run my first full

My biggest concern with the full is not finishing, it's just my uber-competitive nature and the fact that if I do a full, I want to do it well...you know?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #1757
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
Ok Disers....help me decide once and for all! DH and I cannot decide if we want to do the Donald in 2013 and the Mickey in 2014, or just do Mickey in 2013 since it's the 20th anniversary.
Both would be great for you, so it comes down to what you want. If you are looking for increasing your performance, then I would run the Duck this year and wait on the marathon. I think more people should run halfs and then just toss in the full once in a while.

However, completing your first full is very surreal and the party at mile 20 in this year's race will only help that. I wouldn't worry about finishing. If you train properly, you will finish. Maybe not fast, but you will make it.

I guess if it were me, I would probably go ahead and run the full if I could commit to training for it. This year will be a big party. Then after the full you can go back to running halfs and work on improving your form and hitting your goal. Once you get below 1:45 then you might want to try a full again and improve that time.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #1758
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep

Both would be great for you, so it comes down to what you want. If you are looking for increasing your performance, then I would run the Duck this year and wait on the marathon. I think more people should run halfs and then just toss in the full once in a while.

However, completing your first full is very surreal and the party at mile 20 in this year's race will only help that. I wouldn't worry about finishing. If you train properly, you will finish. Maybe not fast, but you will make it.

I guess if it were me, I would probably go ahead and run the full if I could commit to training for it. This year will be a big party. Then after the full you can go back to running halfs and work on improving your form and hitting your goal. Once you get below 1:45 then you might want to try a full again and improve that time.
Thanks Reep! I think we can definitely commit the time, we will just cut back on our other workouts!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #1759
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
How much slower than race pace are you doing your long runs? What is your weekly mileage?
My plan requires specific long run paces--this week MP+ 45 sec. I've done this plan twice before. Just need to not overthink things. And remind myself that this is what training is all about.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #1760
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

MP plus 45-60 seconds here.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge resort not yet decided!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #1761
Reep
Mouseketeer

Those are fairly aggressive numbers for your long runs, but it kind of depends on what pace you are at and how your body handles it. I have friends who run marathons in the 3:30-3:40 range whose long runs are only +30 seconds over marathon race pace. I can't do that though. Right now in my half marathon training (1:22 goal), I typically start out at +1:40 for the first 1/3, then drop to +1:00 for the second third and +40 for the final third if I'm feeling good.

I just wonder if some of the tiredness on the long runs is from overtraining and running your "easy" and long runs too fast.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #1762
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

For any of the ladies who wanted to try the cw-x tights, 6pm.com is selling the Performx tights for $25 and under (small and x-small only) with free shipping. They usually run for $65. I just scored a pair of the black and periwinkle for $21 and that includes tax!!

http://www.6pm.com/cw-x-performx-tight-black-dark-grey
Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #1763
sunshine269
Mouseketeer

I already registered for the full, but now I'm thinking of changing to the Goofy. Time really isn't a concern for me, I really just don't want to get swept. Not sure if this is smart, but I may go for it anyway

Jennifer
Old 08-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #1764
DisneyRunnerGirl
If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's because I'm tying my running shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos
For any of the ladies who wanted to try the cw-x tights, 6pm.com is selling the Performx tights for $25 and under (small and x-small only) with free shipping. They usually run for $65. I just scored a pair of the black and periwinkle for $21 and that includes tax!!

http://www.6pm.com/cw-x-performx-tight-black-dark-grey
Thanks for posting this link! I also got the black and periwinkle. $19.99 TOTAL!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #1765
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerGirl

Thanks for posting this link! I also got the black and periwinkle. $19.99 TOTAL!
I love these things. I have to get the ventilator ones for really hot days but I've run in mine in 70 degree weather. You really feel a difference the day after if you didn't wear them during a long run.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #1766
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Marathon training ramping up (NYC). Did 17 yesterday and am pretty disappointed with how things went. For some reason my mid-week speed and tempo runs are going okay, but the long ones are really bad. Not able to really maintain pace--and these are paces that I have done in the fairly recent past. May need to to adjust my race expectations if this keeps going.

Maura
The heat is probably slowing you down right now - as you get closer to the race and the weather starts to cool off, you will likely pick up your pace. Good for you doing 17! Nothing shabby about that, slow or not!

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #1767
BigEeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
Ok Disers....help me decide once and for all! DH and I cannot decide if we want to do the Donald in 2013 and the Mickey in 2014, or just do Mickey in 2013 since it's the 20th anniversary. A little background: Just over 2 years ago (I am 35 now), I was fat and completely out of shape! I decided one day that enough was enough and just got in shape! I lost almost 70 lbs and have been working out at least 6 days/week since then. We have done multiple programs like Insanity, P90X, etc..and then a little over a year ago, we started running. Since then, we have done several mud runs (Tough Mudder, Spartan Race, Warrior Dash), multiple 5Ks and 10Ks, and 2 1/2 Marathons. My 1/2 goal has been 1:45, but I haven't made it. First race was the Chip and Dale, and I really think I could have done it but I had some unfortunate gi issues and spent quite a bit of time in the porta-potty Anyway, finished in 2:01. Second race was the Mini in Indianapolis, with 35,000 runners, which really crowded the course. Add to that the extremely warm temps and I gave up my goal before mile 5...finished in 1:57. So, what I can't decide is...do I go for my goal of 1:45 with the Donald or do I just bite the bullet and run my first full

My biggest concern with the full is not finishing, it's just my uber-competitive nature and the fact that if I do a full, I want to do it well...you know?
Congrats on the weight loss and how far you have come in just a year of running! I am super impressed. I would say to go for the marathon, but go into it with the goals of having fun and crossing the finish line. There is too much fun and unique stuff going on in the Disney races to make them about making a goal time IMHO.

(Me) (DH) (DD 7/29/05) (DD 3/9/2009) (Eli) (Mo)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #1768
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Marathon training ramping up (NYC). Did 17 yesterday and am pretty disappointed with how things went. For some reason my mid-week speed and tempo runs are going okay, but the long ones are really bad. Not able to really maintain pace--and these are paces that I have done in the fairly recent past. May need to to adjust my race expectations if this keeps going.

Maura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
Those are fairly aggressive numbers for your long runs, but it kind of depends on what pace you are at and how your body handles it. I have friends who run marathons in the 3:30-3:40 range whose long runs are only +30 seconds over marathon race pace. I can't do that though. Right now in my half marathon training (1:22 goal), I typically start out at +1:40 for the first 1/3, then drop to +1:00 for the second third and +40 for the final third if I'm feeling good.

I just wonder if some of the tiredness on the long runs is from overtraining and running your "easy" and long runs too fast.
If I remember correctly, Maura uses the FIRST 3+2 training plan (3 days of running + 2 days of cross training per week)...the whole goal of that plan is to NOT overtrain.

What scared me off from ever trying that plan was paces they recommended using for training. I get that they are all about "quality over quantity" training runs, but still...yikes!

Maura - Could it be the heat that's getting to you? Have you changed your diet at all? Nutrition during runs? I hope you get it sorted out!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #1769
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEeyore

Congrats on the weight loss and how far you have come in just a year of running! I am super impressed. I would say to go for the marathon, but go into it with the goals of having fun and crossing the finish line. There is too much fun and unique stuff going on in the Disney races to make them about making a goal time IMHO.
Thank you! I think we have decided to go for the full!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #1770
steves1019
Mouseketeer

Am I nuts to pay $700 to stay at Contemporary the night before the run??? I can't even believe I'm thinking of it. But it solves transpiration issues for me I think (my family is lazy and hates waking up early!). So at Contemporary I can get to EPCOT for start. Then fam can walk to MK when I pass through and catch the monorail to EPCOT to see me finish. My thought is it's the only way I'd ever pay that much for a room, one night.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: